Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/12/marchand-gets-max-fine-for-slew-footing/

Ok so from now on when his "NasNess" shows a recording of his big toe and whittle Brad doing something wrong pay attention...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing

Easy call to make on that one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He is full of skill.  He skates like the wind, has a ridiculous shot and plays all three zones on the ice.

He's also a very dirty player and is an embarrassment.  We had hoped that his second year would bring maturity.  Nope.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

As he should have.  Took the league long enough though that game was a week ago.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

I don't believe i'm about to say this ... I agree with NAS

Last year being Brads 1st full season, he's out to prove something. This year with a Stanley Cup, not much more to prove but winning games and scoring points. Not playing on the edge of dirty. Time for Marchand to grow up! Be proud of this game and teammates and play "cleaner". I understand he plays on the edge but really, that was a dirty play if I ever saw one. And I like the aggressiveness the Bruins play. That is what us Bruin fans live for.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

It's only a matter of time before someone gives Marchand a beating.  Can't say I will blame them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Yup, I agree NAS!  Thought so during that game!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

What is with you guys? Marchand made a questionable hit and then manned-up and got his face punched repeatedly for it. The league then gave him the max fine for the offense. Most people have noticed he's involved in far less of the after whistle shenanigans this year. I'm surprised nobody started a thread to grease him for the vicious "elbow" he "threw" to get a penalty last game. Pretty easy for some to forget who was the only Bruin to score in every win in the finals. I'm sorry but that fact earns him a little bit of leeway with me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Being on the anti-marchand train i find his play this yr in regards to this junk has been better.  He has dropped the mits a few times and has crossed the line a few times.  I am not a fan.  But his game in regards to this is getting better.  Fine was deserved....but...this is overdone.

Aside from this he is a skilled top 6 fwd who will perform in the playoffs. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing:
    [QUOTE]What is with you guys? Marchand made a questionable hit and then manned-up and got his face punched repeatedly for it. The league then gave him the max fine for the offense. Most people have noticed he's involved in far less of the after whistle shenanigans this year. I'm surprised nobody started a thread to grease him for the vicious "elbow" he "threw" to get a penalty last game. Pretty easy for some to forget who was the only Bruin to score in every win in the finals. I'm sorry but that fact earns him a little bit of leeway with me.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Dez I like him as a player; but he should play with an edge without being dirty.  Face washing, chirping, even an occasional slash to the shin pads are ok by me...but there's no need to slew foot.  That's just a dirty play.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing : Dez I like him as a player; but he should play with an edge without being dirty.  Face washing, chirping, even an occasional slash to the shin pads are ok by me...but there's no need to slew foot.  That's just a dirty play.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]
    Hang, I honestly thought it was overblown and he took his lumps for it anyway. Oh well. Go Bruins!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ingrizzlebizzles. Show ingrizzlebizzles's posts

I'm a Marchand fan and my jaw dropped when he did it. That's the kind of play that can get somebody seriously injured, and Marchand suspended for a vvvvvvvvvveeeerrryyyy long time.

I've defended almost everything he's ever done. Not that one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I'm a Marchand fan and my jaw dropped when he did it. That's the kind of play that can get somebody seriously injured, and Marchand suspended for a vvvvvvvvvveeeerrryyyy long time. I've defended almost everything he's ever done. Not that one.
    Posted by ingrizzlebizzles[/QUOTE]
    Why no suspension then if the play was so dangerous? I mean, he'd be considered a repeat offender to boot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I can live with a little dirt if it gets the job done.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing : Hang, I honestly thought it was overblown and he took his lumps for it anyway. Oh well. Go Bruins!

Agree dez, he took his lumps as he should have.  To me, a slew foot just looks like an attempt to injure.  If you try to take someone's skates out from beneath them with your own skate, they will more than likely not have an opportunity to brace themselves for a fall, and a serious injury is a possibility - a concussion included. 

A trip with a stick is different in that a player probably feels the stick in his skates, and has that split second to get his hands in position to brace himself for the fall.  With the slew foot, you don't have that luxury and are probably falling backwards - which is more dangerous in my book.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing : Agree dez, he took his lumps as he should have.  To me, a slew foot just looks like an attempt to injure.  If you try to take someone's skates out from beneath them with your own skate, they will more than likely not have an opportunity to brace themselves for a fall, and a serious injury is a possibility - a concussion included.  A trip with a stick is different in that a player probably feels the stick in his skates, and has that split second to get his hands in position to brace himself for the fall.  With the slew foot, you don't have that luxury and are probably falling backwards - which is more dangerous in my book.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]
    It wasn't your run of the mill slew-foot though since he came at him with speed. I think he realized he didn't have a good angle and then was overzealous in trying to make sure he still took him out. I don't think he had any premeditated intent to hurt the guy. He made a bad choice. It's over now anyway (as long as Brad can come up with 2500$).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Marchand has eased up on the filth this year - Not that anyone would call him clean. I like his edge but a slew foot is one of the worst things you can do and he deserves the fine and the beating he took on the ice.

I think the guy is going in the right direction but unfortunately it's going to be a 2 steps up, 1 step back sort of progress.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing : It wasn't your run of the mill slew-foot though since he came at him with speed. I think he realized he didn't have a good angle and then was overzealous in trying to make sure he still took him out. I don't think he had any premeditated intent to hurt the guy. He made a bad choice. It's over now anyway (as long as Brad can come up with 2500$).

He'll probably make Seguin pay it!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I have been a pretty big Marchand defender, but I thought this one was cheap and unnecessary.  He deserved the penalty and the fine.  He does also earn some marks for answering the bell, however, just wish he didn't do it.

Oh well, still a fan and think he has been better behaved this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Deserved.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing : It wasn't your run of the mill slew-foot though since he came at him with speed. I think he realized he didn't have a good angle and then was overzealous in trying to make sure he still took him out. I don't think he had any premeditated intent to hurt the guy. He made a bad choice. It's over now anyway (as long as Brad can come up with 2500$).
    I agree Dez on the whole intentional slew foot thing,i don't think it was, but i'm a Marchand supporter. Maybe i look at some of his actions as harmless, others do not. Whether it was intentional or not, Marchand got fined and now its over. If he doe's it again, i'm sure a suspension will follow. Marchand is a Bruin and likely will be for a while. I am not condoning all of his actions , but for what good he doe's for the team i'm willing to cut him some slack and hope his learning curve in relation to these things is just longer than most.I'm just hoping the learning curve isn't as long as Cooke's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm not sure why you guys think he's behaving better?  I think he's the same or worse.  Haven't you noticed how many guys go after him when the whistle blows?  It happens all the time this year.  Plenty of stuff doesn't get caught when watching the game full speed.  I'd post more videos, but the last time I did, I got lambasted for giving him the number of the beast.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure why you guys think he's behaving better?  I think he's the same or worse.  Haven't you noticed how many guys go after him when the whistle blows?  It happens all the time this year.  Plenty of stuff doesn't get caught when watching the game full speed.  I'd post more videos, but the last time I did, I got lambasted for giving him the number of the beast.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Whether Marchand behaves better or not, what are we supposed to do about it ? We as fans can't change the way he plays, and no amount of video evidence you show will make him change. Other than joining you on the "We hate the way Brad plays" train, there is nothing that can be done. I guess we could stop watching the B's but i for one am not willing to do that. Maybe we could demand the B's trade Brad but i think the B's like the way he plays. In other words i think the Brad haters better suck it up because he's not going anywhere soon.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think this play was stupid and he deserved the fine.  Not the worst slew foot I've ever seen either though.

I do think he's been a little better this year.  He seems to be yapping a little less and he's dropped the gloves and answered for himself a few times too.  If you recall, that was one of the knocks on him last year -- not fighting after stiring the pot all the time.  He's a little better this year, and hopefully he'll be a little better next year.  I just hope that once he starts playing it straight and being clean all the time, his game doesn't suffer.

Pat Verbeek was better when he played like a rat.  So my desire for him to clean it up is blended with my desire for him to be effective.  Not sure he can be both.

I don't mind his antics that much, but I also won't mind if he gets his butt kicked in response.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]I think this play was stupid and he deserved the fine.  Not the worst slew foot I've ever seen either though. I do think he's been a little better this year.  He seems to be yapping a little less and he's dropped the gloves and answered for himself a few times too.  If you recall, that was one of the knocks on him last year -- not fighting after stiring the pot all the time.  He's a little better this year, and hopefully he'll be a little better next year.  I just hope that once he starts playing it straight and being clean all the time, his game doesn't suffer. Pat Verbeek was better when he played like a rat.  So my desire for him to clean it up is blended with my desire for him to be effective.  Not sure he can be both. I don't mind his antics that much, but I also won't mind if he gets his butt kicked in response.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I think in order for him to be the best he can be he has to walk that line.  And yes cross it sometimes.  I believe his act is catching up with him as NAS mentioned.  Players in the league are trying to police it.  I believe you play the game between the whistles.  This was a dirty play.  Slew foot was banned by my dad when I was in atom hockey.  Its greasy!  Similar to spearing in the nads which he did last year as well.  I better stop before I get on a rant.  I think he has been better.  Hope it stays that way.

Sections
Shortcuts