Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing

funny how people believe everything they hear. yup, yup, that's a "slew foot" alright. hockey's new buzz word. i mean it is really fun to say.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Before someone coined it slew foot, it wasn't considered bad, it was considered and art. I think it should be a penalty, but like regular tripping or any other infraction, it's only really bad if it puts an opponent in danger. Most trips just put you on your but. If you whip the feet out from someone who is vulnerable and they hit their head on the ice, that could be bad.

In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing:
    [QUOTE]funny how people believe everything they hear. yup, yup, that's a "slew foot" alright. hockey's new buzz word. i mean it is really fun to say.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

time to walk the dog, and beer up... talk to y'all later. GO BRUINS! i hope they "slew foot' the crap out of LA... he he - i mean trip them up!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing : I think almost every forward has been slew footed by a D-man in front at some point in their playing days. I
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Yah and by a Dman named Dez-Ruch...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The difference with slew footing is that it involves greater force and strength than a standard trip, the player almost always falls backwards, which makes them more vulnerable, and due to the angle and the force, a player is more likely to take impact of hitting the ice with their shoulders, head, or neck. It's more dangerous, usually, than a standard trip. It's also not a new buzz word - it's been in the rule books for an awfully long time.

It's also supposed to be a guaranteed match penalty if it is called in a game - not a minor not a major. That's it, you get the gate.

52.1 Slew-footing - Slew-footing is the act of a player or goalkeeper using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.

52.2 Match Penalty - Any player who is guilty of slew-footing shall be assessed a match penalty.

52.3 Fines and Suspensions - There are no specified fines or suspensions for slew-footing, however, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing : Yah and by a Dman named Dez-Ruch...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    I was a forward mostly but I've been on both ends of a slew-foot before. It can be painful sometimes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing : Yah and by a Dman named Dez-Ruch...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Speaking of D-men, I couldn't help noticing the Wiz has passed someone in points.......looks like the race is on now and you just took the lead....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing : Speaking of D-men, I couldn't help noticing the Wiz has passed someone in points.......looks like the race is on now and you just took the lead....Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Oh thought someone mentioned you were a Dman. Can't bring that thread back up (hint, hint) cause if I start talkin smack it will invoke the Shup reverse-hex...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]how is "slew footing" any different than someone approaching you from behind, skating past you, and scooping your feet from under you with their stick? it's the exact same thing, only one uses a stick, and the other a foot. 

The secondary act of using an arm or elbow to force the player backward.

I'm not sure how you can continue to comment on the subject if you don't even understand what it is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Only reason he got fined because NAS  sent Shannahan the video, frame by freeze frame by freeze frame.

btw adkbeesfan, it hurts being slewfoot. It's like a 5foot drop hard on your behind or hip depending how you fall. Very dirty because the player knows he's doing it ot hurt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing : The secondary act of using an arm or elbow to force the player backward. I'm not sure how you can continue to comment on the subject if you don't even understand what it is.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

My guess is he never played the game, and if he did then it was either under IIHF men's or women's rules. He never played full contact NHL style rules. Anyone who has, understands the danger of slew footing, the fact it has been a penalty for decades (by that name) and how it is vastly different from tripping. If adk is a player, an experienced one at least, I'll eat my sportsbra.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

I really hope Marchand doesn't get the rep of a dirty hack.  He's far too skilled to be such a queen on the ice.  I understand the "agitator" role, but there is a fine line between agitator and cheap shot artist

Slew footing with a blade on your foot is inexcusable.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Got slew footed from behind , fell backwards , hit the back of my head on the ice and ended up in the hospital for 8 hours with a neck brace on with the doctors trying to figure out if the x-rays showed a crack in my vertebrae or not . Just whiplash .

For those who think that this is just like a normal trip . It isn't . You can't use your arms to protect your fall if you're falling backwards.

After almost 50 years of playing hockey this was one of the few times of going to the ice where I felt I couldn't brace my fall.

Shupe's right. Dirty , greasy play !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Got slew footed from behind , fell backwards , hit the back of my head on the ice and ended up in the hospital for 8 hours with a neck brace on with the doctors trying to figure out if the x-rays showed a crack in my vertebrae or not . Just whiplash . For those who think that this is just like a normal trip . It isn't . You can't use your arms to protect your fall if you're falling backwards. After almost 50 years of playing hockey this was one of the few times of going to the ice where I felt I couldn't brace my fall. Shupe's right. Dirty , greasy play !
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I mentioned at the beginning of the season that slew footing is a penalty you rarely see called anymore during a game, primarily because it's difficult for the refs to catch. A $2,500 fine is fine and dandy, but I think it would be easy to eliminate this play if refs started paying more attention to it in game and calling it. I think the match penalty, and how that can hurt the team on the ice, is a much better deterent than a fine. If players know that the call will be enforced during the game and that they'll get the gate if they do it, it won't happen nearly as often.

I also think if a player is caught doing it on the replay, like Marchand was, giving a one game suspension - essentially a match penalty, just like it would be if the refs had caught it at the time - is a better course of action than a fine.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i didn't realize we had to post resumes. i apologize for having not played in the nhl. but i do play the game, granted nowadays the games aren't quite as competitive. there is a chance someone COULD get injured every second they are on the ice. you know it's played on ice, they swing sticks at each other, fire pucks at one another, check each other, it's a rough and tumble game. to me it's about intent to injure. and that's an awefully gray area. ask shanahan. when a player slew foots someone, i don't see it as intent to injure. i see it as intentionally tripping someone. a great hip check will on occasion send a player flying wildly though the air only to land badly on the ice, resulting in an injury. this exact thing happened to hamhuis? in the finals last year, courtesy of milan lucic. personally... i don't care what anyone on this board thinks of me, or my knowledge of the game. it's is quite apparent though, that some think an aweful lot of themselves and their hockey IQ, which is funny because not one poster on these boards has ever played in the nhl- you know... your prerequisite for knowing anything about the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

That's the thing adk, slew footing is always about intent to injure - that's why it's a mtach peanlty. A trip can be incidental, but a slew foot is two seperate actions intended for a particular result. By it's very nature it's always intentional. And I never siad anything about playing in the NHL - I said NHL rules. For example, I play in a women's league that uses that rulebook, and a lot of players, most senior players, play by that book as well (the one difference in rules with my league is that we have no touch icing after we had some serious injuries that way).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the funny thing about contact sports is this... those players that relish the big hit, are usually trying to "crush" someone. legally of course. and by "crush" i mean have the guy leave the playing surface, and see a doctor. see what i mean when i say it's hard to judge intent to injure? one thing i am certain of is, just before that big (legal) hit, the "i hope i don't hurt this guy" thought is not crossing their mind. picture a "i wanna cry it's so beautiful" open ice hit. the guy who got the short end of the stick, has his feet flying in the air. how's he supposed to protect himself? does this mean the hitter was intentionally trying to hurt him? (the answer is yes- he didn't place the hit, hoping to get on the guys christmas card list)and btw, a slew foot call does not require the offender to contact any part of the guys upper body. just that they take the feet out.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

There are two types of slew-foot, and one of them DOES require contact with the upper body.

52.1 Slew-footing - Slew-footing is the act of a player or goalkeeper using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.

I don't know why you don't consider this dirtier or more dangerous than a normal check. Yes guys get hurt on clean plays. This isn't a clean play and doesn't deserve to be in the game. The NHL came to this conclusion years ago, Like I said before, it's not a two-minute minor, or a five minute major, it's an automatic match penalty. There's only a handful ofplays that the NHL considers dangerous and dirty enough to deem an automatic match penalty. Slew-footing is one of them. The only others that are automatics if an injury is not involved are biting and kicking. Deliberate injury, butt-ending, a goalkeeper who uses his blocking glove to the head or face of an opponent, head-butting, punching and injuring an unsuspecting opponent, spearing, and wearing tape on your hands in a fight are also automatics, but only if an injury occurs on the play. Slew-footing, biting and kicking get you the gate whether the other player is hurt or not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

if you don't contact the upper body, it is in no way different than skating by someone(from behind) and using your stick to take their skates out. exact same thing, only one is a 2 minute tripping penalty, and the other can be a match penalty? i wouldn't want brendan shanahan's job for one second. oh yeah... why didn't marchand receive a match penalty? and i love the wording of that penalty, "falls violently", as opposed to all those hockey plays where a player "gently falls to the ice"- like a feather. the fact is ALL tripping penalties are dangerous and COULD result in injury. if it's deemed "incidental"- it's tripping(they're not all incidental btw-how should we judge intent there?). if it IS intentional, it's slew footing, and dirty. we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. anyways, thanks for keeping this ciscussion civil, a lot of posters have difficulty doing this. GO BRUINS!! let's rattle off another 15 wins!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]if you don't contact the upper body, it is in no way different than skating by someone(from behind) and using your stick to take their skates out. exact same thing, only one is a 2 minute tripping penalty, and the other can be a match penalty? i wouldn't want brendan shanahan's job for one second. oh yeah... why didn't marchand receive a match penalty? and i love the wording of that penalty, "falls violently", as opposed to all those hockey plays where a player "gently falls to the ice"- like a feather. the fact is ALL tripping penalties are dangerous and COULD result in injury. if it's deemed "incidental"- it's tripping(they're not all incidental btw-how should we judge intent there?). if it IS intentional, it's slew footing, and dirty. we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. anyways, thanks for keeping this ciscussion civil, a lot of posters have difficulty doing this. GO BRUINS!! let's rattle off another 15 wins!!

Sounds like a plan.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And just to correct a mistake of mine, I missed two other automatic match penalties - hair pulling, and grabbing a goalie by his face mask (I don't think I've ever seen those called in the NHL, though hair-pulling is pretty common in my league). Attempt to injure is technically as well, but that's usually in conjunction with another penalty.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]if you don't contact the upper body, it is in no way different than skating by someone(from behind) and using your stick to take their skates out. exact same thing, only one is a 2 minute tripping penalty, and the other can be a match penalty? i wouldn't want brendan shanahan's job for one second. oh yeah... why didn't marchand receive a match penalty? and i love the wording of that penalty, "falls violently", as opposed to all those hockey plays where a player "gently falls to the ice"- like a feather. the fact is ALL tripping penalties are dangerous and COULD result in injury. if it's deemed "incidental"- it's tripping(they're not all incidental btw-how should we judge intent there?). if it IS intentional, it's slew footing, and dirty. we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. anyways, thanks for keeping this ciscussion civil, a lot of posters have difficulty doing this. GO BRUINS!! let's rattle off another 15 wins!!

adk,

I'm not trying to nit pick.  I'm not sure how we can explain it better.  When I was playing atom hockey I did it to a fwd.  He fell hard.  My dad basically ripped me and said never do it again.  Its a flawless take down where the player is defenseless.  Tripping a player is completely different.  You are using all the leverage of the other player and pulling him back.  If it was WWE wrestling it would be a nice finishing move.  Its intent driven.  I will stick with what my old man said and I havent used it since. 
    I personally believe its a veru greasy play that can result in injury.  Its not a new catch word.  I'm 39 and dad taught me at the age of 9 not to do it. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I know what a slew foot is. I've had it done & I've done it. It's without question dirty, it's cheap & it's dangerous. I will not have double standards when it comes to this stuff. He deserved a fine, a suspension (since it's not the frst time he's done it as NAS showed earlier this yr) & he deserved the beating. It's punkish antic & I hate it! I would be just as agressive about it if it was Lapuke, or Downey, or any of the other idiots. I'm not giving Marchand special treatment just because he scored goals in the play-offs & wears a spoked B.