Marchand hit on Emelin: Just a good ol hip check

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: Marchand hit on Emelin: Just a good ol hip check

for what it's worth, i went to the habs site and the gazette site, neither of which even mentioned the hit. so if the overly dramatic(call 911) montreal fanbase has no problem with it, how is it that bruin fans do? weird. it was a hip check by a guy who stands 5' nothing. is he not allowed to throw a hip check?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

A few years ago the Montreal fans booed the U.S. National Anthem. Last night they cheered when chara was hit , in the throat with the puck. They do not deserve to be in the same building as those who followed Rocket Richard, Henri richard and all the great players who made Montreal a class act hockey team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

As far as Marchand's hip check, it was legal, Montreal came out trying to slam dunk the bruins, nothing wrong with legal retaliation

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand hit on Emelin: Just a good ol hip check:
    If Marchand played on any of 29 teams not named Boston he would be the most hated  National Hockey League player among fans in Boston. Easily topping anyone of Vancouver. Not even close.
    Posted by dogwhacker

Shouldn't you be somewhere writing a post about what it would mean if numbers were different.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I didn't like this Marchand hit.  It was unnecessary.  Kinda like going for a guy's head.  Not really clipping or anything that bad, but I didn't like it.
    Posted by OatesCam

I did like it. Emelin had it coming. I don't care how much time was on the clock. I bet he got multiple "attaboy"s in the dressing room between periods. It was nowhere near as bad as Thornton drilling him without the puck in the 3rd. I expected to be short handed after but the refs were awful for both teams last night.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

The hit was borderline low.  I didn't like it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

The hit was borderline low.  I didn't like it.
    Posted by bim09

That hit was a foot above the knees whether you like it or not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I loved the idea of retaliating in an almost legal way for a hit on a teamate, and he didn't target the guy's knee, I just felt it was pushing the limit.  I think part of Marchand's problem is not that he is clipping people, it's that he's just so good at throwing, and not telegraphing, hip checks.  It's kind of like Scott Stevens open ice bodychecks.  Legal but dangerous. I love hipchecks, and I love it when Marchand thows them. But I think Marchand should show some restraint. I actually thought the Salo one was OK.  This one made me feel like it was borderline.  The only thing that makes it a little acceptable is that Emelin did have it coming.  You play by the sword...

In Response to Re: Marchand hit on Emelin: Just a good ol hip check : I did like it. Emelin had it coming. I don't care how much time was on the clock. I bet he got multiple "attaboy"s in the dressing room between periods. It was nowhere near as bad as Thornton drilling him without the puck in the 3rd. I expected to be short handed after but the refs were awful for both teams last night.
    Posted by dezaruchi

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Shanahan says he doesn't like the hit but.........it was legal. Where was that logic after the Salo "clip"?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/16/no-fine-or-suspension-for-little-clipper-marchand/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

The problem there for Marchand is his height.  His hip is making contact lower than usual because he's so damn short

I don't think he was intentionaly trying to low blow the guy

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to "Marchand hit on Emelin: Just a good ol hip check": I think the one called on Erik Cole was the right call, the others not at all. Posted by fourrings

Agreed Cole was the only one that was close the others were terrible.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

Shanahan says he doesn't like the hit but.........it was legal. Where was that logic after the Salo "clip"? http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/16/no-fine-or-suspension-for-little-clipper-marchand/
    Posted by dezaruchi

So Shan-wow now says he doesn't like checks to the thigh and hip area. Wow, he's really starting to accelerate the "pink hat" era. I'll bet he was disappointed that he couldn't suspend Marchand. And he throws the ref under the bus by saying it was not a clip but doesn't say the penalty was undeserved or a mistake. Headline is a little prejudiced too. Guess the folks at NBC Sportstalk don't like BM either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388032

Kerry Fraser kissing up to the Canadien fan base again. Lie down and fake an injury, wait till after the suspension happens then declare you're healthy. Right up your alley Kerry along with your career as a ref.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Again, I don't think it was the greatest hit.  It was kind of shifty and I'd be irritated if I got hit that way by the rat.  But that doesn't make it illegal!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388032 Kerry Fraser kissing up to the Canadien fan base again. Lie down and fake an injury, wait till after the suspension happens then declare you're healthy. Right up your alley Kerry along with your career as a ref.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

He seems to be a bit confused.  Marchand claims defense when he ducks while someone is trying to hit him - as in what happened later in the game with Subban.  That was completely not the situation here.  This was an attempt at delivering a hip-check.  If it had hit below the knees, it unquestionably would have been a clip.  As it did not, it wasn't.  There doesn't seem to be much grey area in the rules.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Again, I don't think it was the greatest hit.  It was kind of shifty and I'd be irritated if I got hit that way by the rat.  But that doesn't make it illegal!
    Posted by Fletcher1

Here's CJ's take on the hit.

“My eyes saw [Marchand’s] butt hit the other guy’s butt. Clipping and a suspension is going after a guy’s knees. That’s the way I saw it and I’m hoping the league sees it the same way.”

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand hit on Emelin: Just a good ol hip check : Here's CJ's take on the hit. “My eyes saw [Marchand’s] butt hit the other guy’s butt. Clipping and a suspension is going after a guy’s knees. That’s the way I saw it and I’m hoping the league sees it the same way.”
    Posted by dezaruchi

forget cj's take.... it's shanny's take that has me scratching my head. he said it WASN'T clipping, BUT he didn't like it. huh? he doesn't like legal hip-checks? what? sounds more like a personal vendetta than an impartial nhl executive. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand hit on Emelin: Just a good ol hip check :  forget cj's take.... it's shanny's take that has me scratching my head. he said it WASN'T clipping, BUT he didn't like it. huh? he doesn't like legal hip-checks? what? sounds more like a personal vendetta than an impartial nhl executive
    Posted by adkbeesfan

We both heard the same thing then. I'm not sure what Shanny didn't like as the hit wasn't even borderline.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand hit on Emelin: Just a good ol hip check : We both heard the same thing then. I'm not sure what Shanny didn't like as the hit wasn't even borderline.
    Posted by dezaruchi

we both know what shanny doesn't like... our boy marchy. i started the year a big supporter of shanny, and at this point, he has zero credibility imo. i think it started when he used the term "predatory". he lost me there. 

Sections
Shortcuts