Marchand needs to sit...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Remi72. Show Remi72's posts

Marchand needs to sit...

I know it's a long season. I know the B's are doing pretty good after all.

But, it's a fact that Marchand is just not there. Not physicaly and not mentaly. Yesterday, he really played like a little girl. It's just not him. He needs to shake up. I think that we all agree that Lucic's play was better after he has been benched last season.

And, Bergeron and Eriksson don't click. Julien is a patient man, OK, but, after near 30 games, let's try a change.

Iginla-Bergeron-Smith

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson

Soderberg-Kelly-Paille

Thornton-Campbell-Caron

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Marchand needs to sit...

He is struggling. Subban shut him down last night, was very physical with him. Maybe sitting him is the answer, he look slow, is not getting his chances and isn't nearly as physical as he's been. He needs to be quicker to the net, getting his chances down low and agitating people. I see none of that right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Iginla could use a night off as well. He looked slow and had just an overall bad night. Julien's approach is too let veterans try n play through slumps though.

This will be labeled a "panic thread" in T-minus...10...9...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

he's not the same Marchand we know, but Eriksson doesn't seem to be helping much at all, with a much "softer " game than expected, and a lack of any sniping capability as yet. Bergeron is being overtaxed by playing constantly a two way game against other team's top lines while both his wings are less than agressive, Marchand to avoid penalties, and Eriksson playing unlike the Bruins model. Maybe moving Smith and Soderberg up a line would solve both coverage and scoring potential. Then kelly and eriksson can play defense all night, and Marchand can revert to his Merlot-line character.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I don't know what to think.  He's just a totally different player now.  Over the years we've seen countless guys jump into the league and do really well for a year or two, then disappear.  Is Marchand going to be one of them?

This much I do know.  One of the toughest obstacles for young hot-dogs, who just happen to become overnight millionaires...is growing that intensity, desire, and competitiveness.  It's all natural on the way up, right til one feels a bit of security.  Then it must be summoned, practiced and further developed into the lifestyle.  Otherwise, ones game suffers.

Maybe it's that entertaining style we got used to, and maybe BM decided he'd like more respect from his opponents.  Maybe he 's decided he wants to be known as a top end forward, not a rat, and he's just stuggling through the transition, but he's been this way for a good part of last year, and all of this.

Marchand was projected to be a "maybe" NHLer, not a top 6 guy, especially on a team as deep as Boston.  Are we witnessing a slump, or a player who overachieved for a bit, and is saddled with impossible expectation?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

" Maybe moving Smith and Soderberg up a line would solve both coverage and scoring potential"

Either that or giving them more minutes. The 3rd line has been more consistent than the 2nd.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to Remi72's comment:

I know it's a long season. I know the B's are doing pretty good after all.

But, it's a fact that Marchand is just not there. Not physicaly and not mentaly. Yesterday, he really played like a little girl. It's just not him. He needs to shake up. I think that we all agree that Lucic's play was better after he has been benched last season.

And, Bergeron and Eriksson don't click. Julien is a patient man, OK, but, after near 30 games, let's try a change.

Iginla-Bergeron-Smith

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson

Soderberg-Kelly-Paille

Thornton-Campbell-Caron

Thornton and Caron in the line up ...DUH !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

...but Eriksson doesn't seem to be helping much at all, with a much "softer " game than expected, and a lack of any sniping capability as yet. Bergeron is being overtaxed by playing constantly a two way game against other team's top lines while both his wings are less than agressive, Marchand to avoid penalties, and Eriksson playing unlike the Bruins model. Maybe moving Smith and Soderberg up a line would solve both coverage and scoring potential. Then kelly and eriksson can play defense all night, and Marchand can revert to his Merlot-line character.

Couldn't have said it better.

My biggest concern about the Seguin trade was Loui's reputation as a "soft player". Somewhere I read a post by some Stars fan about the "all-Swedish/no finish" Loui Eriksson. If the Bruins traded Seguin because of his perceived "unwillingness to play like a real Bruin", why would they deal him for a winger who "plays a somewhat passive game in all three zones" (according to his scouting report)?

But then again...

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

...This will be labeled a "panic thread" in T-minus...10...9...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to MrHulot's comment:

In response to bogie6's comment:

...but Eriksson doesn't seem to be helping much at all, with a much "softer " game than expected, and a lack of any sniping capability as yet. Bergeron is being overtaxed by playing constantly a two way game against other team's top lines while both his wings are less than agressive, Marchand to avoid penalties, and Eriksson playing unlike the Bruins model. Maybe moving Smith and Soderberg up a line would solve both coverage and scoring potential. Then kelly and eriksson can play defense all night, and Marchand can revert to his Merlot-line character.

Couldn't have said it better.

My biggest concern about the Seguin trade was Loui's reputation as a "soft player". Somewhere I read a post by some Stars fan about the "all-Swedish/no finish" Loui Eriksson. If the Bruins traded Seguin because of his perceived "unwillingness to play like a real Bruin", why would they deal him for a winger who "plays a somewhat passive game in all three zones" (according to his scouting report)?

But then again...

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

...This will be labeled a "panic thread" in T-minus...10...9...

Panic thread ...I agrre with you ...Marchand played very well in the 3rd one of the best player on the ice...but watch Reilly Smith in the next few weeks this kid is improving so much its unreal ...he will probably be on the top 3 Bruins scorer as early as this season 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Remi72. Show Remi72's posts

It's not a panic thread at all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

It's not a panic thread at all.

Not demanding any trades, just asking for a player too sit or go down a line until he picks it up is not. That is correct, it isn't a panic thread. Julien sat Ryder once during the 2011 regular season so I'm not holding my breath.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Am I the only one who thought Marchand played well last night?  I was encouraged that he can still turn it on for bigger games.  Thought he was engaged, edgy, fast, etc.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Am I the only one who thought Marchand played well last night?  I was encouraged that he can still turn it on for bigger games.  Thought he was engaged, edgy, fast, etc.

I thought he played one of his better games, involved and feisty as you say, got into it with Subban etc.The results aren't happening in the goal department and that is what everyone is in a panic about, would be nice to see him continue with his play against Pitt but pop in a couple of goals.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Yep can't complain on here I love the way Iginla plays not so much last night,but he needs to start scoring some goals,whats he got 4or5 goals one was in the empty net had a couple bounce of him,only nice goal i recall is on the penalty shot,now if he is saving them all for the play offs got no problem with that,But jusy worry he doesn;t have the hands anymore,he didn't do much playing with Crosby.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I missed the first period, the Bruins, as a whole were largely AWOL in the second but what I saw of Marchand in the third fit your description of him, Fletch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Remi72. Show Remi72's posts

He was more engaged in the third, that's true, but, he was atrocious in the first and second, like he has been too often so far this season. That being said, I really don't think that he's turning into a bust. He has a terrific shot and a goal scorer"s edge...that can't vanish. He can find it back, but he needs to understand that he has to turn things round, not just cruisin around 'till it comes back by itself. Give him a rest for a game...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I thought the same Fletch. I'm not sure what game some folks are watching.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Remi72. Show Remi72's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Just agitating after the whistle blow, not really generating scoring chances, but, again, as I said, at least, he showed a little bit of emotion in the third, but miserable for the rest of the game...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Just agitating after the whistle blow, not really generating scoring chances, but, again, as I said, at least, he showed a little bit of emotion in the third, but miserable for the rest of the game...

I just think he's improved over the past handful of games Remi. It's not where I'd like it to be but he's getting better. Marchand earned some extra patience from the fan base. He's been a big game player for most of his life so I cut him some slack for his regular season "effort" so far.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Remi72. Show Remi72's posts

I just think he's improved over the past handful of games Remi. It's not where I'd like it to be but he's getting better. Marchand earned some extra patience from the fan base. He's been a big game player for most of his life so I cut him some slack for his regular season "effort" so far.

Well, I wish you're right my friend, and that he'll find a way !

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

Marchand was definintely a big part of our sustained pressure in the third. He was really flying. I also thought he showed some great discipline in dealing with Suppan's antics. I was just waiting for him to get a cheap retaliatory call and to his credit it never happened. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I would like to see some more scoring oppurtunities. I would say he was involved last night, but the Marchand of the past two years would have had 3 or 4 scoring chances and probably get a roughing minor for stuff after the whistle with Subban. I thought Subban went out of his way to be physical with Marchand and didnt get much of a response.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I would like to see some more scoring oppurtunities. I would say he was involved last night, but the Marchand of the past two years would have had 3 or 4 scoring chances and probably get a roughing minor for stuff after the whistle with Subban. I thought Subban went out of his way to be physical with Marchand and didnt get much of a response.

You make a good point about the scoring chances. I think I recall that second line not even having a shot on goal until sometime in the third period. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Madhouse27's comment:

Marchand was definintely a big part of our sustained pressure in the third. He was really flying. I also thought he showed some great discipline in dealing with Suppan's antics. I was just waiting for him to get a cheap retaliatory call and to his credit it never happened. 

Exactly what I saw^

Sections
Shortcuts