marchand not signed yet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

marchand not signed yet

should we be worried?  is dollar phil part deux?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: marchand not signed yet

My guess is that he's looking for a 400% raise for six months of success.  He's going to find out that properly run hockey teams don't dole out that sort of cash.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

In Response to Re: marchand not signed yet:
    [QUOTE]My guess is that he's looking for a 400% raise for six months of success.  He's going to find out that properly run hockey teams don't dole out that sort of cash.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

someone just tried to convince me that he was going to get 4M

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: marchand not signed yet : someone just tried to convince me that he was going to get 4M
    Posted by thedauber1[/QUOTE]

He won't make more than Krejci or the same as Lucic.  That's loco.

My GUESS is that he's looking for multi years above $3M while the B's are going with a Wheeler type of deal for two years at $2-2.5.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

ya the guy said he was basing this off the Lucic contract....i had to inform him that Lucic played on the top line of a presidents winner before he got awarded that contract, and that he was into his third season before that contract....i guess they don't understand that a really good 60 games doesn't get you a multi year 4 million dollar contract in boston. it might in new york, or florida, but not here

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]ya the guy said he was basing this off the Lucic contract....i had to inform him that Lucic played on the top line of a presidents winner before he got awarded that contract, and that he was into his third season before that contract....i guess they don't understand that a really good 60 games doesn't get you a multi year 4 million dollar contract in boston. it might in new york, or florida, but not here
       First off, I didn't try to "convince" you of anything. Secondly, I never said 4M, I said just UNDER 4M, which to me, is in the 3.75M area.
    You gave your opinion, I gave mine. Right now, neither of us, is right or wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: marchand not signed yet :    First off, I didn't try to "convince" you of anything. Secondly, I never said 4M, I said just UNDER 4M, which to me, is in the 3.75M area. You gave your opinion, I gave mine. Right now, neither of us, is right or wrong.
    Posted by biggskye[/QUOTE]

do you think 3.75 is realitic and what he deserves?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: marchand not signed yet : do you think 3.75 is realitic and what he deserves?

Realistic? In today's market, maybe.
    Does he desderve it? Probably not.
    Look, I don't pretend to be an expert on contract negotiations. I was just giving my opinion, based on the fact that the salary cap is 15% higher than when Lucic signed his contract.
    Also, the last time I watched Marchand play, he was the 2nd or 3rd best player in the finals, for the Stanley cup winning team.
    I think that deserves better than Blake Wheeler money, which was also signed under a lower salary cap.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from samsonov. Show samsonov's posts

No risk in long term here!  I would try and get him at 3mil over 5 years!  I would consider him core now! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

You know what one of the great things about winning the Stanley Cup is? Management doesn't have to overpay to keep RFA's....even those who were insturmental in helping win the Cup, as Marchand unarguably was.

First: The B's can match any other team's offer. Second: if the price is too steep, they can seek more high draft picks, which they can keep or package in a trade for a comporable player.

Here's hoping the LBOH understands how young and strong the core of this Bruins team is and stays in for perhaps a little less than he'd make playing for a lame market team in the southwest.

The business being just that--a business--I could see Marchand getting a ridiculous $4-5 M deal from a team like the Panthers or Jackets trying to put a$$es in the seats. But it would backfire on the little guy cuz he'd never win another Cup. The only thing that would s*ck for the Bruins is dealing with Marchy's incredibly annoying (and yes, very effective) antics as an opponent.

he's the classic "love him if he's on your side/hate him if he's not" player. Valuable? Absolutely, and I hope the B's sign him...but if he pulls a Phil Kessel, I say let him skate (I learned my lesson on the Kessel issue--and am a better fan for it.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I wouldn't put too much into the delay....likely just waiting for a few arbitration cases to be resolved so the market solidifies a bit more. The free agency stuff was nuts, but the next few weeks will show what guys are really worth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2011&team_id=-1&position_id=-1&fa_type_id=1

None of these guys are signed yet either.  RFAs take time because there's a lot more negotiating.  UFAs, you come with your best offer or you lose (for the big names).  Or you target a Pouliot, get there early, make a pitch that makes sense to a guy who probably knows the difference between $850K and $1.1M doesn't matter much when the $850K comes with the playing time and situation you need to prove you deserve $4M on your next deal.

RFAs generally have one tactic - stalling.  Stall until some GM doesn't get his plan to come together and thinks of offer sheet plan B.  Stall until a few of your comparables get goofy arbitration settlements.  Stall until your GM starts to feel pressure and comes up.  Worst case scenario, you have a contract - you can always accept the tender.

Which means Mushmouth is going to take some time, but I'll be really surprised if real camp starts without him.  Same with Weber, same with Stamkos, Doughty, Parise, Schenn, Callahan, Dubinsky, ... even Wheeler.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Chiarelli seems to have a good sense of value even though some thought his Thomas and Lucic salaries were too high. Chia also knows the agents, and their tactics, having been an agent. IMO Marchand will get close to Kreji's deal, 3.5 for 4/5 years. He's only 22 and they know what Bergeron, Horton, Lucic and Kreji all make. he skates and controls the puck very well, probably better than Lucic, so his agent may be trying for $4.0

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: marchand not signed yet : He won't make more than Krejci or the same as Lucic.  That's loco. My GUESS is that he's looking for multi years above $3M while the B's are going with a Wheeler type of deal for two years at $2-2.5.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I am thinking. Probably the Wheeler 2.2 mill contract. anything more would be insane unless it is a multi-year deal...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

No concern here.  He will get signed.  It's not Phil part 2 because this year the Bruins aren't at the cap.  They can easily match any contract offered, which means one probably won't be offered.  It's not ridiculous to suggest that Mush could approach 4 million.  You could argue that Lucic got his contract after one good season, the same for Krejci, and neither one had the kind of post-season run that Marchand did.  He's also older than they were after one year, having spent more time in junior and the minors.  I have a lot of confidence that he will be a top forward in the coming years and I'm sure he does to.  That said, I think PC will negotiate something sensible, and probably a little less than the contracts of DK and ML.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

[QUOTE]Chiarelli seems to have a good sense of value even though some thought his Thomas and Lucic salaries were too high. Chia also knows the agents, and their tactics, having been an agent. IMO Marchand will get close to Kreji's deal, 3.5 for 4/5 years. He's only 22 and they know what Bergeron, Horton, Lucic and Kreji all make. he skates and controls the puck very well, probably better than Lucic, so his agent may be trying for $4.0
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

based on what? Bergeron, Horton, Lucic, and Krejci (krejci less so) all paid their dues in the NHL before geting the big second contract. Lucic played all three of his entry level contract seasons in the NHL, same with Horton minus a 20 game stint in the AHL, and Bergeron isn't even close to comparable. Krejci played a season and half, and in his last full season before his contract put up 73 points while leading the league in plus minus. I don't think Marchands agent is stupid enough to ask for 4, he might as well ask for 10. Hes probably asking for 3, and Chiarelli is saying no.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinBuff. Show BruinBuff's posts

I think they will sign him, but the comments P.C. made to NESN had a grim tone, Or I just read too much into it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: marchand not signed yet:[QUOTE] He's only 22 and they know what Bergeron, Horton, Lucic and Kreji all make. he skates and controls the puck very well, probably better than Lucic, so his agent may be trying for $4.0 Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

"based on the fact that the salary cap is 15% higher than when Lucic signed his contract."

I'll go with combining Bigskye and Bogies comments. An agent trying for what he thinks the market will bear then what he'll end up with me thinks 3.5M-3.75M for 3 to 4 years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: marchand not signed yet : "based on the fact that the salary cap is 15% higher than when Lucic signed his contract." I'll go with combining Bigskye and Bogies comments. An agent trying for what he thinks the market will bear then what he'll end up with me thinks 3.5M-3.75M for 3 to 4 years.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

All of this is true, but way to short sighted.. Marchand was good in the playoffs, but comments saying he had a better post season then any of the aforementined guys is off base.. The team made it further, he had more games to play in.. Lucic till this year has produced at about a .75ppg in the play offs..

Marchand put together one solid year, does not have the potential, or affect on a game that any of the other players mentioned do, nor does he have the potential of any of them.. Keep in mind all of them played more then one season with the big club on their entry level deal.. People want to compare marchands rookie season to lucics and bergeron, and again, 18year old players to a 22/23 year old player with 2 plus full seasons of professional hockey under his belt..

I like marchand as a player, and we've missed his role, but i think we've seen the best of him, hes not a player who has a lot of room for growth i don't believe..  

Anisimov put up very similar stats with the rangers, has a much higher ceiling got 2 years 3.75 total..

2 years 5 mill is very fair..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Some veery good points made above -- no need to fret over this.  This is when we have a little faith in Chiarelli to be smart.  This is a deep organization that is well run and just won a championship -- they should not be bullied into a reactionary contract for a young player who still has a lot to prove (despite a spectacular playoof run).

Stay the course Chia, no desperation or crazy contracts in Boston.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from HABH8R. Show HABH8R's posts

just glad this isnt the Sinden era.

I trust logic will prevail.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Sometimes logic prevails, sometimes it doesn't.  As always, I'll provide another view:

What does every player want when he enters the league?  Generally, I'd say two things:  A Stanley Cup ring, and a lot of money.

Now that Marchand has one, he can set his sights on the other.  A lot of players will take less to get a chance to win the Cup.  Now that Marchand has that ring, does he really need to provide the 'home discount' to PC?  I'd say not.  BUT, does he want the chance to win multiple rings? 

Can he sign somewhere that will do both?  i.e. give him more money that the Bruins are willing to offer, AND give him a chance to win another ring?  Given the fact that many teams are looking to spend money to get to the cap floor, and are also trying to build a winning team, what better way than to sign a young player who already has seen and experienced "what it takes" to win a Cup?

It's not like Marchand is another Recchi, who's already made his millions, and is in a position to say "heck, what do I need with another $1 - 1.5m, when I can get another shot at a Cup?"  Marchand is still in the "I'm looking to accumulate my retirement nest egg" phase of his career, and if the Bruins don't give him what he thinks he deserves (or what his agent has convinced him he deserves), he will likely look favourably at offer sheets, should they be forthcoming.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: marchand not signed yet:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: marchand not signed yet : I like marchand as a player, and we've missed his role, but i think we've seen the best of him, hes not a player who has a lot of room for growth i don't believe. 2 years 5 mill is very fair. Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Fair yes agreed but if that is what Marchand's agent would settle for there would have been a signing already. Don't think Marchand can crack 30 goals Roler ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

2 years, 5.5 thanks

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

49-
    I dont think anyone is talking about a home town discount, its an arguement of fair market value..

Most of the posters thought that Seidenberg was gone last season, and going to make 4+ million on the market..

There are very few examples of guys having a 40 point rookie season, and jumping to $3.5 million.. Fans want to ignore that, a lot are looking at it and comparing it to players that are inaccurate to do that with..

Look at wheelers past arbitation award, $2.2 mill.. a guy with 80 something points through 2 seasons, playing one the 2nd line, pk, pp.. with a better overall skill set, and higher potential..

Anisimov had a very similar season, I think still projects as a potential number 1 center (a more valuable position then wing by the way).. got 1.875per..

I dont think marchand is going anywhere, but i would be suprised if he got long term, and big money..

Sections
Shortcuts