Mark Recchi Logic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Re: Mark Recchi Logic

Most of the players have some leverage in my opinion. 

For the Top 6 F, 4D, and 1G they would be fine for the rest of their lives if the all of the leagues shut down indefinitely. 

The next 3F, 2D, and 2G would also be ok if the NHL shut down for a year or 2 as most of them would make around the league average of 2.4 million for an average career of 4 years.  If you shave off a year (or even 2) due to a lockout, they are still looking at 4 million plus for their career and that is without going overseas. 

The players that this affects most is the 4th liners, 7-8D,  #3+G and all of the fringe players as some of these guys could have a tougher time playing overseas and may only have 1-2 years of NHL playing years and they are around the league minimum which is still more than what a lot of "normal" people make in their lifetime.  Relatively speaking, this is where a little leverage is lost. Of course, it also affects some of the younger stars 1-to-2 years into their career.  While the majority of players are in this tier, they are also the players with the least voice due to experience, talent, and leadership within their respective teams.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

NAS, maybe I need to word this differently so you'll get what I mean. When I asked what's the difference between losing cash to sitting and losing cash to rollback, I figured the other angle was implied. What I mean is, what difference does it make who puts the cash in Mayers and Selanne's pocket. You're saying they're losing money they can't get back. I'm saying it's only lost money if they choose to not pick it up elsewhere. It shouldn't be so difficult and I'm sure you understood it 20 posts ago but since it didn't suit your argument, it was conveniently ignored. I'm also done with this. You think the players are hurting if they don't come back. I think they need to hold strong. Neither of us can claim to be 100% right. I apologize for the earlier (and future) insults but in my defense, everyone already knows I'm a dick. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yeah, everyone does know that.  It doesn't excuse your behavior.

In this thread, your words and your approach was just wrong.

Saying, "Oh, that's just how I am" changes nothing.

You were wrong, here, Dez.  You were wrong in the discussion and you were wrong for attacking me.  You won't find a single post like that by me about you.  Not even one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

After 21733 posts between you too do you think the word "sensitive" is a bit like the impasse feelings now witnessed between Betman and Fehr after today.  I still believe the players and owners are not as far apart as it seems.  From what I have learned, the HRR at 50/50% in the current season along with the delay of the season amounting 20% or so reduction of revenue from last year, the owners have what is needed.  The make whole provision is a matter of numbers, honoring contracts.  If a roll back is reinstated, it affects the players equally unless one prescribes to the graduated salaries of the Parise and Suter to be so differential to those of Boychuk or Thornton.  In other words a wealthy man can handle a greater payment than a poor man.  All of that is moot when considering these blokes are millionaries.  Recchi has it right, the owners will win the battle, and the players will have more influence on the length of the ordeal of negotation possibly ending the season.  

A few years into the new CBA the HRR will be corrected, the salaries will be accounted for under a new CAP, and players will begin to reap benefits as the NHL revenues rise enough to satisfy their desire to make more on their contracts.  Yet, the players who then sign those contracts though will look hauntingly at the renegning of the 2012 CBA negotiations and believe nothing is honored in signing.  Likewise the owners will go into the next CBA circa 2018 thinking once again that the roll backs are guaranteed and will negotiate with little or no regard to the NHLPA.  In my mind, those are the reasons the NHLPA is holding onto their beliefs to make the contracts whole. As a negotiations tactic, it seems to be a smart move.  As for the value of the contracts over a player's career, it is not.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

Most of the players have some leverage in my opinion. 

For the Top 6 F, 4D, and 1G they would be fine for the rest of their lives if the all of the leagues shut down indefinitely. 

The next 3F, 2D, and 2G would also be ok if the NHL shut down for a year or 2 as most of them would make around the league average of 2.4 million for an average career of 4 years.  If you shave off a year (or even 2) due to a lockout, they are still looking at 4 million plus for their career and that is without going overseas. 

The players that this affects most is the 4th liners, 7-8D,  #3+G and all of the fringe players as some of these guys could have a tougher time playing overseas and may only have 1-2 years of NHL playing years and they are around the league minimum which is still more than what a lot of "normal" people make in their lifetime.  Relatively speaking, this is where a little leverage is lost. Of course, it also affects some of the younger stars 1-to-2 years into their career.  While the majority of players are in this tier, they are also the players with the least voice due to experience, talent, and leadership within their respective teams.  

Unfortunately for the players, the owners have much more leverage. The NHL is a hobby for them. None of them need the NHL to make their living. For many of the owners, not having a season, under the current CBA, is actually saving them money.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Yeah, everyone does know that.  It doesn't excuse your behavior.

In this thread, your words and your approach was just wrong.

Saying, "Oh, that's just how I am" changes nothing.

You were wrong, here, Dez.  You were wrong in the discussion and you were wrong for attacking me.  You won't find a single post like that by me about you.  Not even one.

You've got to be kidding me. I wasn't wrong and only apologized because it was clear you were hurt and I had nothing to lose or gain by doing that. Consider your posts to be more civilized than the rest if you'd like but it doesn't change what they really are. Your clear and obvious refusal to address direct questions if they don't suit you is akin to covering your ears and screaming "la,la,la, I can't hear you".......99% of your posts are direct attempts to get under someone's skin yet here you are, somehow surprised that it happened. Remember when you told me to "man up"? Save that talk for your mirror and we won't need this conversation again. In those earlier posts I'd actually deleted a bunch of stuff that I thought might've crossed the line. I can only imagine the results if I hadn't. Again, I'm sorry your feelings are hurt. I still think you're wrong. C'est la vie.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/roman-hamrlik-calls-donald-fehr-calls-nhlpa-vote-225833368--nhl.html

Washington Capitals defenseman Roman Hamrlik is 38 years old, and is watching his $3.5 million salary disappear for the 2012-13 season, in the second year of a two-year contract.

If you're wondering if he's frustrated … well, how many other players have taken a run at the head of the National Hockey League Players Association lately?

Roman Jedlicka, a play-by-play voice for TV Nova, offered a translation of this interview with Hamrlik in which he addressed Donald Fehr:

"I am disgusted. We have to push Fehr to the wall to get the deal. Time is against us. We lost 1/4 season, it is $425 million. Who will give it back to us? Mr. Fehr?"

---

Looks similar to what I've been saying in this thread, wouldn't you say?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/roman-hamrlik-calls-donald-fehr-calls-nhlpa-vote-225833368--nhl.html

Washington Capitals defenseman Roman Hamrlik is 38 years old, and is watching his $3.5 million salary disappear for the 2012-13 season, in the second year of a two-year contract.

If you're wondering if he's frustrated … well, how many other players have taken a run at the head of the National Hockey League Players Association lately?

Roman Jedlicka, a play-by-play voice for TV Nova, offered a translation of this interview with Hamrlik in which he addressed Donald Fehr:

"I am disgusted. We have to push Fehr to the wall to get the deal. Time is against us. We lost 1/4 season, it is $425 million. Who will give it back to us? Mr. Fehr?"

---

Looks similar to what I've been saying in this thread, wouldn't you say?

Again, if he's too lazy or unwilling to work elsewhere then yes, he'll get zero. If he wants to work, the NHL lockout leaves him free to earn elsewhere. I'll wager he says he was misquoted if he's asked about it and if not, he's got the right to voice his displeasure, just like the 699 other guys.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/1252062--nhl-labour-nhlpa-gives-players-lockout-preparation-memo

Similar to what I've been saying eh?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

My two cents.

I disagree with the notion that all players who are locked out can go pick up work in other leagues. Some are not desired by the European clubs because of their lower status as players. It might be an option for some but not for all.

Import restrictions are another factor.

There may be a couple hundred playing overseas but I'm thinking there are far more with that option not available to them. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Like Shawn Thornton, Chowda?  I'm going to guess that he won't make a million plus playing elsewhere, nor will he make 20% less than his current NHL contract playing elsewhere.

But that's because he's too lazy to find work, right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Like Shawn Thornton, Chowda?  I'm going to guess that he won't make a million plus playing elsewhere, nor will he make 20% less than his current NHL contract playing elsewhere.

But that's because he's too lazy to find work, right?

No players are ever guaranteed to make any team. They're professionals that are aware they might have to battle for a spot. Shawn Thornton is painfully aware of this. He and every other member saw the memo stating they were free to look for employment elsewhere. Nobody is faced with the prospect of making "zero", regardless of how many times it gets tossed around.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=75388

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=75725

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

My two cents.

I disagree with the notion that all players who are locked out can go pick up work in other leagues. Some are not desired by the European clubs because of their lower status as players. It might be an option for some but not for all.

There may be a couple hundred playing overseas but I'm thinking there are far more with that option not available to them. 

Never did I say every member of the union could earn the same. I said that Selanne easily could and that the option of looking for work was available to all. Nobody is forced to earn "zero". Clearly, I'm in support of the players in this dispute. I don't blame them for any of this. Frankly, I'm surprised at the few who are trying to blame the players for getting locked out. Damn them for accepting the contracts that were offered to them...........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

My two cents.

Never did I say every member of the union could earn the same. I said that Selanne easily could and that the option of looking for work was available to all. Nobody is forced to earn "zero". Clearly, I'm in support of the players in this dispute. I don't blame them for any of this. Frankly, I'm surprised at the few who are trying to blame the players for getting locked out. Damn them for accepting the contracts that were offered to them...........

Sure the option is available to look for work but are they all offered work to continue in the same profession ? Clearly a "no" answer. Because of no NHL and no other offers from other leagues what would be the appropriate way to phrase making absolutely nothing with no other options but to sit and wait ? 

Frankly, I'm surprised by those who defend either side. They're both at fault. This is not a one side is right and the other side is wrong argument in my opinion.

P.S. 

"Never did I say every member of the union could earn the same."

Never did I say you did.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Oh btw, Cheers !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Oh btw, Cheers !

You too Chowdah! Have you made it to see many live games this year? I'm ashamed to say the only game I went to so far was when McKinnon came to town and they thumped the Sea Dogs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Chowdah, I should've added that you're absolutely correct. Neither side is free of blame. I just figure it's not a strike, it's a lockout so I'm blaming the guys with the keys. Cheers!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

"We're a union. We have to stay together. If anything, it's the opposite of greedy: We're not asking for more money, we're just asking for what we signed for. At this point, would I take a little bit of a rollback? Absolutely, just to get back playing. But we trust what Fehr's telling us, and the way he's leading us. And that's that."

Bissonnette on the rollback.

He's playing for Cardiff and surely isn't making the $725,000 he'd be making in the NHL.  Roll him back 20% and he only makes $580,000.  How will this six minute Skating Clown ever feed a family with that pitiful amount?

Sign the damn CBA and get on the ice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Oh btw, Cheers !

You too Chowdah! Have you made it to see many live games this year? I'm ashamed to say the only game I went to so far was when McKinnon came to town and they thumped the Sea Dogs.

I've been lazy this year. Watched only so far on the tube. I get about 90% of all OHL games on tv anyways. But.......funny you asked....... 

.......we are going to see Subban's Bulls playing in St. Catharines against Dougie's Dogs tomorrow. Already have the tickets and can't wait. Back to back first rounders opposing each other. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Oh btw, Cheers !

I've been lazy this year. Watched only so far on the tube. I get about 90% of all OHL games on tv anyways. But.......funny you asked....... 

.......we are going to see Subban's Bulls playing in St. Catharines against Dougie's Dogs tomorrow. Already have the tickets and can't wait. Back to back first rounders opposing each other. 

Nice Chowdah. Too bad you can't see Dougie get points and a shutout for Subban but I'm sure it'll be fun anyway. Have a good one!

Sections
Shortcuts