Matt Cooke hearing at 1:30pm today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Matt Cooke hearing at 1:30pm today

Looks like the NHL has suspended him for "at least 10 games".  Just say the rest of the season and the playoffs.

Odd:

http://www.nesn.com/2011/03/report-matt-cooke-suspended-at-least-10-games-by-nhl.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

guys i didnt cut and paste but check out what other players are saying on tsn.ca  Clarke Macarthur pretty much sums it up best.  We need him outta the league. he has not changed and will always play the same way.  i really hope its a long suspension.  10+ games including some playoff games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Cooke hearing at 1:30pm today:
    [QUOTE]"Marchand does come from the blindside but does not swing his elbow" "eyeing a puck and throwing an elbow at the last second" Which one is it? Did you change your mind? "But im just an internet tough guy with no objectivity. What do I know?" "I know Im sounding homerrific but thats just how I viewed it. " You answered your own question.
    Posted by montecristo[/QUOTE]

I can play this immature game too,

"This play looked a lot like the Marchand hit to me." Yet you agree with Kennedy who basically was saying what I was that this was much much worse than the Marchand move.

Oh and seeing as I havent insulted you at all, who is being the internet tough guy? I watched the replay and from that angle it looks like Marchand does throw an elbow. From another angle in an infamous NAS thread it looks alot more like how I described it.

I thought you were done arguing with me?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from montecristo. Show montecristo's posts

I was trying to agree with you in that I thought Cooke should be suspended for much longer due to his history, but disagreeing with your contention that it was 5X worse then Marchand's.

We are beating a dead horse at this point. Good day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Cooke v Marchand.
    This is a slight chance that Marchand's was unintentional, albeit it a 1-2% chance, it was to the back of the head.  There was not a fluid motion of the elbow directly to the head.
    Cooke came in leading with the elbow, there is no way it unintentional.  I believe the elbow was the first part to come into contact.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]I was trying to agree with you in that I thought Cooke should be suspended for much longer due to his history, but disagreeing with your contention that it was 5X worse then Marchand's. We are beating a dead horse at this point. Good day.
    Posted by montecristo[/QUOTE]

Cheers then. Wish more forum goers could disagree, argue, then drop it.

AHEM BBR vs Nearly everyone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]Cooke v Marchand. This is a slight chance that Marchand's was unintentional, albeit it a 1-2% chance, it was to the back of the head.  There was not a fluid motion of the elbow directly to the head. Cooke came in leading with the elbow, there is no way it unintentional.  I believe the elbow was the first part to come into contact.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

He uses that thing like  a spear. It was the same elbow to jaw extension that royally demolished savards career.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]Looks like the NHL has suspended him for "at least 10 games".  Just say the rest of the season and the playoffs. Odd: http://www.nesn.com/2011/03/report-matt-cooke-suspended-at-least-10-games-by-nhl.html
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

As I read it, it seems whoever is reporting is sure he is suspended for the rest of the regular season, but is unsure if there are playoff games too.  Pitt has 10 regular season games left, hence, "at least 10 games."  If there's playoff games also included, the number will be higher.  Clear to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Cooke hearing at 1:30pm today : As I read it, it seems whoever is reporting is sure he is suspended for the rest of the regular season, but is unsure if there are playoff games too.  Pitt has 10 regular season games left, hence, "at least 10 games."  If there's playoff games also included, the number will be higher.  Clear to me.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

The rest of the year plus playoffs would be the right thing to do.

That's exactly why it will not happen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

off the record said unconfirmed but regular season and 1st round of the playoffs

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

confirmed now....suspended until after round one of the playoffs. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Good. That sets a precedent that his next time (and knowing him, there will be) he'll get maybe a half season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

i did say earlier on another post 15 games ,was i right ?  but if this is true up yours cooke

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I personally didnt think the league would give this much.  good for them.  as much as I detest cooke he helps that team win games.  they are very weak on the fwd front. 
    next time I bet he gets 40+ games.  Its better late than never

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Good job by the league(Finally)

Not only did Cooke just cost his team that game, he may have just cost them the 1st round of the playoffs now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]I personally didnt think the league would give this much.  good for them.  as much as I detest cooke he helps that team win games.  they are very weak on the fwd front.  next time I bet he gets 40+ games.  Its better late than never
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

The suspension seems pretty tough considering there was no injury.  I know it was Cooke...but it's now a precedent, and that's everything when doling out suspensions moving forward.
    We already have guys turning their back on hits to draw a penalty.  We already have guys flopping and contorting in an attempt to turn a minor into a major.  Now guys will be diving whenever an elbow comes up a bit.
    The league is in a no win situation.  The players will attempt to leverage things to their advantage, thus making the league look bad in certain instances. 
    I think there will be a lot of growing pains moving forward. 
    We've got 8 rounds of playoff starting soon, and the play is much tougher(violent)than the regular season.  Pretty much every other game, someone is going to be squaking about a deserved suspension for something.  
    Not sorry to see Cooke gone. 
    Just think this whole suspension thing is taking on a life of it's own.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Cooke hearing at 1:30pm today : The suspension seems pretty tough considering there was no injury.  I know it was Cooke...but it's now a precedent, and that's everything when doling out suspensions moving forward. We already have guys turning their back on hits to draw a penalty.  We already have guys flopping and contorting in an attempt to turn a minor into a major.  Now guys will be diving whenever an elbow comes up a bit. The league is in a no win situation.  The players will attempt to leverage things to their advantage, thus making the league look bad in certain instances.  I think there will be a lot of growing pains moving forward.  We've got 8 rounds of playoff starting soon, and the play is much tougher(violent)than the regular season.  Pretty much every other game, someone is going to be squaking about a deserved suspension for something.   Not sorry to see Cooke gone.  Just think this whole suspension thing is taking on a life of it's own.
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

he has injured enough for me.  all the players and even his owner said it was warranted.  he is a dangerous player that has no respect for his peers or the game.  I think the suspension is perfect.

Now, your last part of the injuries taking a life of there own is bang on as well.  They dont even show nice goals or saves anymore.  Its the dirty hit they always show.  And there are at least 1-2 per/week. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Cooke hearing at 1:30pm today : he has injured enough for me.  all the players and even his owner said it was warranted.  he is a dangerous player that has no respect for his peers or the game.  I think the suspension is perfect. Now, your last part of the injuries taking a life of there own is bang on as well.  They dont even show nice goals or saves anymore.  Its the dirty hit they always show.  And there are at least 1-2 per/week. 

It should be interesting to see if this yob finally gets the message.  Somehow, I think not.  Playing on the edge is what got him and kept him in the league.  If he loses that element, I'd imagine it would reduce whatever effectiveness he had. 

I'm not saying a change in him can't happen but I can only think of Bertuzzi as the player of recent memory who had a punishment alter his style of play.  Pre-the Moore incident, he was a beast with the Canucks but since then, it seems like somehow he's not the same player.  Bertuzzi has more skill than Cooke, doesn't he, shupe?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Cooke hearing at 1:30pm today : The suspension seems pretty tough considering there was no injury.  I know it was Cooke...but it's now a precedent, and that's everything when doling out suspensions moving forward. We already have guys turning their back on hits to draw a penalty.  We already have guys flopping and contorting in an attempt to turn a minor into a major.  Now guys will be diving whenever an elbow comes up a bit. The league is in a no win situation.  The players will attempt to leverage things to their advantage, thus making the league look bad in certain instances.  I think there will be a lot of growing pains moving forward.  We've got 8 rounds of playoff starting soon, and the play is much tougher(violent)than the regular season.  Pretty much every other game, someone is going to be squaking about a deserved suspension for something.   Not sorry to see Cooke gone.  Just think this whole suspension thing is taking on a life of it's own.
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]
    I've never been a fan of punishing because of injuries involved anyway.The intent is where the punishment needs to point and Cooke,once again,had obvious intent when targeting another plyer.He goes for heads,knees,etc.,you know,the career enders.......I only hope they told him it'll at least double the next time he's in a hearing.It's not like we should need the severity of his crimes to escalate in order for the punishments to.He really is a "special case" and I wonder when enough will be enough.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Cooke hearing at 1:30pm today : It should be interesting to see if this yob finally gets the message.  Somehow, I think not.  Playing on the edge is what got him and kept him in the league.  If he loses that element, I'd imagine it would reduce whatever effectiveness he had.  I'm not saying a change in him can't happen but I can only think of Bertuzzi as the player of recent memory who had a punishment alter his style of play.  Pre-the Moore incident, he was a beast with the Canucks but since then, it seems like somehow he's not the same player.  Bertuzzi has more skill than Cooke, doesn't he, shupe?
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

Are you asking me or telling me?  Yes Bertuzzi has more skill by a lot.  Cooke is here for one reason. To hurt as many as he can.  He will never change.  He is what he is.  I still love Kane for the one punch KO.  Might be one of the best hockey moments for me in the last 2-3 yrs.  Sids golden goal and Kanes KO of Cooke.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

That's what is sad about how the league hands out discipline posters on here have to say "finally!". Very happy with the decision and yes about time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Cooke hearing at 1:30pm today : Are you asking me or telling me?  Yes Bertuzzi has more skill by a lot.  Cooke is here for one reason. To hurt as many as he can.  He will never change.  He is what he is.  I still love Kane for the one punch KO.  Might be one of the best hockey moments for me in the last 2-3 yrs.  Sids golden goal and Kanes KO of Cooke.

We're all on the same page here about Cooke.  My point has nothing to do with this suspension.  I'm glad Cooke's gone.  It's about precedent, and it's all about what may happen going forward.
    So Kane ko's Cooke in the Stanley Cup finals this year(purely hypothetical)
    Most of the hockey world figures Cooke has it coming.....but...he's a human too, and the league has to look out for everyone.  Cooke feels woozy....maybe a slight concussion....how many games does Kane get?
    Look I'm not all over the league on the Cooke suspension.  I dislike his style as much as anyone here.  My only point is that this whole suspension thing is getting kind of foggy.  Everyones paying really close attention, and it seems now...the high lites are all about who possibly should get a suspension.
    Head shots.  That's ok, but there is a ton of stuff that happenns regarding the head.  How about a boarding call that hurts someone?  How about a clean check that hurts someone...is there any such thing any more...or is it automatically boarding.  Is there a suspension?  Likely so if a major is called.  What about an interference infraction that causes a player to awkwardly fall into the boards and break both legs?  No one knows anymore.
    It seems to me, what's really in vogue right now....is suspensions....and there are groups everywhere...watching and waiting to scream about the next play that may warrant one.
    The league is unfairly out on a limb here.  The players, and the PA need to aggressively jump into the fray.  They're the ones everyones trying to protect, and they're only using these aggressive moves by the league....for their own selfish ends.  This shouldn't be about about posturing every time a camera is pointed toward players.
    This isn't just the league's problem...it's the game's problem, and the PA needs to be all in, if this thing is to stay on the rails until the game is straightend out.

Sections
Shortcuts