Maybe Haggerty isn't that dumb

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Maybe Haggerty isn't that dumb

Nevermind, he is. However he did suggest something that interested me. He thought it might be time for the Bruins to deal Boychuk to Edmonton for either Perron, or Yakupov. Well, the Yakupov thing is stupid, the Bruins would have no interest. At first I thought the whole thing was stupid, as I thought it would be unlikely that the Oilers would wish to acquire a d man who was set to become a UFA. However I forgot about something. Craig Mactavish is desperate. He knows if they aren't at least in the hunt this year, he's gone for sure. I would think that he would most likely be of the viewpoint that his team would be better off with Boychuk than Perron. That said, the contracts are uneven. Roughly the same value on each, but Perron has an extra year. If Chiarelli called and offered him Chris Kelly and Johnny Boychuk for Perron, could he say no? He would get two pieces that would greatly help his team win. Boychuk would be on the first pairing, and Kelly would most likely be the third line center. Perhaps more importantly, Kelly would be their top forward for penalty kill, and Boychuk would probably lead the team in PK minutes. The Bruins get to add about $3MM in cap room for Krug and Smith, and get another winger that would be in the mix for the first line. 

Lucic - Krejci - Perron/Eriksson

Marchand - Bergeron - Smith

Spooner/Khokho/Fraser - Yeti - Perron/Eriksson

Paille - Campbell - whoever 

Caron

Chara - Hamilton 

Krug - Seidenberg

Bart/Miller - McQuaid

Maybe it's just because there isn't much going on in the hockey world, but I thought this would be a cool way to solve a lot of problems, and take advantage of a desperate GM.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Maybe Haggerty isn't that dumb

Derek Van Diest reports

"Oilers GM Craig MacTavish was unable to find a suitable deal this summer to add a veteran center to his lineup. MacTavish will look to within during training camp in hopes young centers Anton Lander, Mark Arcobello or 2014 first-round pick Leon Draisaitl can step into that role. The Oilers GM remains unwilling to part with any of his young core."

EDMONTON JOURNAL:

"Jim Matheson reports Edmonton native Johnny Boychuk loves playing for the Boston Bruins, calling the club his hockey family. However, his eligibility for UFA status next summer combined with the Bruins’ tight payroll could make it difficult for him to remain in Boston. Matheson wonders if Boychuk might consider an asking price similar to that of Washington’s Brooks Orpik ($5.4 million annually). Matheson believes if Boychuk becomes a UFA the Oilers would be interested, though it remains to be seen if they could afford him."

EDMONTON JOURNAL:

"David Staples dismissed Haggerty’s suggestion of the Oilers parting with Yakupov for Boychuk, mainly because it makes no sense to part with a promising young asset for a player who’s eligible for UFA status next summer."

Lots of suggestions but I agree with Matheson's answer that he doesn't think the cash strapped Oilers could afford Boychuk even as a free agent. Johnny B is perfect for Edmonton!

I think PC wants Boychuk for the playoffs this season. Only way he might go is if Kelly pulls a Thornton/Marleau.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The Oilers will never fire "Bold Mpves" MacTavish because he's and ex Oiler and good buddy of the unfireable Kevin Lowe(Stanley's good friend).As far as MacTavish making any big trades to help his club,there lies the problem,if he isn't willing to part with any of his good players then it makes sense that he won't be getting any good players back,duh Craig,how come your team never gets any better? Because its made up of too many of the same type of players,maybe live up to your nickname "Bold Moves" and grow some stones,the Oilers will be out of the playoff picture early again this season, and as far as Yakupov goes, don't really want him on the B's. 

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

IF Boychuk wasn't going to be a UFA at the end of this season, Edmonton might be willing make the above mentioned deal. Since he is, I think Boston would have to sweeten the pot somewhat.

I am guessing, that since Edmonton does not seem to have any real goaltending prospects in their system, that Malcom Subban would be high on their wish list.

A package of Boychuk/Kelly/Subban, should be enough to get Perron and a 2nd round draft pick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

A trade with Edmonton is logical. Latent talent is always dream like. The reality is "fish or cut bait". Edmonton needs to assesses talent the make moves. Boychuk, who know if or what he desires as a business decision. I am a fan who is loyal to players who win the Cup. If his demands fit under the Cap then keep him otherwise I would trade his azz. 

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A trade with Edmonton is logical. The reality is "fish or cut bait". Edmonton needs to assesses talent the make moves.[/QUOTE]

Therein lies the problem,they aren't very good at this. That is why it seems like they have summer tires on the bus,going uphill in 3 ft of icy snow, Lowe, MacTavish & company have no clue. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Oilers will never fire "Bold Mpves" MacTavish because he's and ex Oiler and good buddy of the unfireable Kevin Lowe(Stanley's good friend).As far as MacTavish making any big trades to help his club,there lies the problem,if he isn't willing to part with any of his good players then it makes sense that he won't be getting any good players back,duh Craig,how come your team never gets any better? Because its made up of too many of the same type of players,maybe live up to your nickname "Bold Moves" and grow some stones,the Oilers will be out of the playoff picture early again this season, and as far as Yakupov goes, don't really want him on the B's. 

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

[/QUOTE]

Me neither. This guy will be bolting for the KHL soon. He's nothing but a whiney little punk like Radulov! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Oh my.

Yakupov was the #1 pick overall two years ago.

Perron tied for his team lead with 28 goals.

Johnny Boychuk is a hard hitting 30 year old second pairing stay at home defenseman with an expiring contract.

Chris Kelly is a 33 year old black hole with a heavy contract who's production has fallen off the face of the Earth.

How could any team want to give up either of the first two for either or both of the second two?  Unless they are buddies and MacTavish wants them around, or maybe he's a bit fruity and thinks Boychuk is dreamy...  Outside of those two scenarios, I would bet Shupe's left nut that there's no way a deal like this happens.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh my.

Yakupov was the #1 pick overall two years ago.

Perron tied for his team lead with 28 goals.

Johnny Boychuk is a hard hitting 30 year old second pairing stay at home defenseman with an expiring contract.

Chris Kelly is a 33 year old black hole with a heavy contract who's production has fallen off the face of the Earth.

How could any team want to give up either of the first two for either or both of the second two?  Unless they are buddies and MacTavish wants them around, or maybe he's a bit fruity and thinks Boychuk is dreamy...  Outside of those two scenarios, I would bet Shupe's left nut that there's no way a deal like this happens.

[/QUOTE]

Are the oilers better with Perron, or Kelly and boychuk?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"how come your team never gets any better ?"

Are the Oilers just biding time until they get into the new arena ?

Letting go of some of your talented, forwards to get a really good veteran defenseman seems like a no brainer. Whether it is a trade with Boston or not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Whether he is right or wrong on this one, Haggerty is still dumb.

He is the troll-ish Dan Shaughnessy of hockey writers... only with less writing talent.

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Letting go of some of your talented, forwards to get a really good veteran defenseman seems like a no brainer.

[/QUOTE]

It really does doesn't it. Everyone and their dog knew this last summer as well and what do they do? Pick up some scraps like Belov and Grebeshkov redux and then "sturm" Smid early in the season and force Fraser to play like 19mins a night even though he was a 7th dman for the lowly leafs. Ridiculous.

We shall see how they fare with Fayne and Nikitin.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Perron all day.

I can't think of a team that is better off with Kelly.  

Boychuk is a second pairing, low scoring 30 year old defenseman.

Perron is a 26 year old goal scorer.  

Hmmmmmmm.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Perron all day.

Hmmmmmmm.

[/QUOTE]

With all of the Oilers high end young talent supposedly ready to break out, wouldn't trading Perron for some grit on defence and a reliable face off,PK,defensive centre be right up the Oilers alley? What good is having Perron when defensively you suck. The Oilers have to shake it up,having David Perron on their roster will not get them any closer to the playoffs.I am not saying trade David Perron,just that MacTavish can't just sit on all these gifted,young,offensive players and expect to get better,imo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't know if trading Perron is a good idea or not, but I do think that trading Perron for Kelly and Boychuk is not!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

Perron all day.

Hmmmmmmm.

[/QUOTE]

I think Boychuk is more than that & has learned to lead by example, but I do agree no way Mack makes this move. The B's would have to throw in a Spooner for the future, or a Soderberg for the present, because the Oilers need centers along with d, but not a 30 plus 3rd line one. And right now he's not even that in Boston.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When was the last time Kelly was actually healthy. I'm not defending him... it just seems like a lot of the stuff I was reading seemed to blame his decline on injury. Will he return to some semblence of the player we saw in 2011? Unlikely. But I don't think he's a complete write off. He's not Zach Hamil or Jordan Caron.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Those trade scenarios won't happen (for the myriad of reasons listed above).
    but...If McTavish doesn't trade one of his shiny top 5 pick forwards for a Defenseman and just thinks it's all going to click and they can get by with what he has on the blue line, he's a worse GM than I think...and I think pretty lowly of him already.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

Leave Perron where he is to, 20 21 and 28(last year) in 7 seasons does not make him a sniper. No Bruin forward played his mins per game, he would never get the time in Bos nor goals or points. Give them Kelly for Tylers Bunz and be done with it.

If Boyc goes it has to be for youth - prospect, has to be a salary dump.  Please just dump Kelly through waivers or a draft, sick of his time off.

No4BobbyOrr

GOAT!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

To most of what people say, I get it. Value wise this is very bad for the Oilers and very good for the Bruins. Having said that I think there are a number of factors that could make the oilers do a deal similar to this, maybe with some moving parts. The first, and foremost is Mactavish. 

If the Oilers aren't in contention for a playoff spot at the trade deadline, Mactavish will be fired. Well, that's not fair to say. It's my opinion that he will be fired. The fans will be calling for his head, and while that doesn't always have an effect, I think it will this time. He's battling for his job, and I would think he cares about that. 

Despite the new rink, as usual the Oilers have to overpay for free agents. Boychuk will be that after this season, and Perron will be that after next season. The difference is Boychuk is from Edmonton, he might be eager to sign an extension before he hits the market to stay at home. I'm not saying he'll take the "home town discount," because that's silly, but I am saying there might not be the typical overpayment for going to EDM. I think the Oilers have a better a better chance at retaining Boychuk beyond 2016 than they do retaining Perron beyond 2016.

I 100% think this improves the Oilers in the short term. Perron isn't a member of their core. They have an abundance of offensive players to round out their top six. I doubt they'll have trouble scoring goals, and this move will help them keep the puck out of their own net. Their penalty kill will drastically improve. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't know if trading Perron is a good idea or not, but I do think that trading Perron for Kelly and Boychuk is not!

[/QUOTE]

Personally i think the trade is great for the Oilers, they get a pair of veteran,Stanley Cup winning players who have some good miles left on their careers, who add veteran leadership,which is sorely lacking in the Edmonton dressing room. David Perron is far from a special player and can easily be replaced, i see it as a winning trade for the Oilers,whats not to like? If Perron is so good,why did St. Louis get rid of him when goal scoring is what they needed to compete in the Western Conference. I don't know,just a difference of opinion again.    

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The Oilers are transitional as a competitive team. Correct decisions are upmost as a management team. The Bs only have to speak the Oilers on their moves for the next few years. Boychuk and Kelly and prospects could land a potential star. 1st round picks excluded there are players with potential and of course cap space for the Bs. Moves are needed in other words. 

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When was the last time Kelly was actually healthy. I'm not defending him... it just seems like a lot of the stuff I was reading seemed to blame his decline on injury. Will he return to some semblence of the player we saw in 2011? Unlikely. But I don't think he's a complete write off. He's not Zach Hamil or Jordan Caron.

[/QUOTE]

He was a third line player at best.  Injured or not, his top skill level is third line.  He's now 33, so he's not going to get better.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He was a third line player at best.  Injured or not, his top skill level is third line.  He's now 33, so he's not going to get better.

[/QUOTE]

That's what they need. They need a third line defense first center

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

That's what they need. They need a third line defense first center

[/QUOTE]

I don't think trading a 26 year old guy who tied for your goal scoring lead for a 33 year old defensive center who has injury issues and a 30 year old second pairing defensive defenseman with an expiring contract.

Nothing of that idea makes any sense.