McQuaid Knee on Knee......suspension/fine coming?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: McQuaid Knee on Knee......suspension/fine coming?

In Response to Re: McQuaid Knee on Knee......suspension/fine coming?:
    After seeing the video, and comparing it to Porter's hit, I think McQuaid should consider himself very lucky to be available to play in the next game.
    Posted by 49-North

Kerry Fraser agrees with you
    http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382808
    He was calling for a 1-3 game suspension.
    I expect the comments section on that story to go nutty, once more people learn he's not getting suspended.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

After seeing the video, and comparing it to Porter's hit, I think McQuaid should consider himself very lucky to be available to play in the next game.
    Posted by 49-North

Me too...but not more than one game.  Porter's hit was WAY, WAY worse....appeared to be an intent to injure.  McQuaid's seemed reactionary - split second decision to save himself from getting beat.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNationNorth. Show BruinsNationNorth's posts

There should be no suspension, the call on the ice was fair enough. This wasn't the same as Porter's hit....watch both replays, Porter is moving towards Booth, leg planted, and goes for the knee/leg. McQuaid is stationary and caught, sticks out his leg and arm in an attempt to stop a breakaway. His skate is not planted and actually is off the ice at impact. (Surprised McQuaid wasn't hurt) No intent to injure at all, just trying to impede Foligno, which is a penalty. I was at the game in Ottawa last night and I didn't hear anybody whining about a suspension, most of the Sens fans were upset that the Linesmen wouldn't let Carkner go with McQuaid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

We used to call what McQuaid did a leg check. Foligno was going to break by McQuaid, out of his own end and McQuaid took him down by sliding his leg out and catching Foligno in the knee. luckily it wasn't a serious injury but this kind of check is very dangerous and needs to be taken out of the game. McQuaid should sit for this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

A little surprised, but reasonable enough. Though this will be fodder for the conspiracy theory nuts.
    Posted by red75

That's right !  already started.  Some are saying Porter's and McQuaid were the same. Same intention different result.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: McQuaid Knee on Knee......suspension/fine coming? : Yeah, last week. http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/sports/nhl/story/2011/12/08/sp-nhl-porter-suspension.html Porter got four games for kneeing Booth. That's part of why folks think this will be a suspension as well.
    Posted by red75

Wow, I missed that one.  Insane.  When did penalties become suspensions?

Before I go any further, has anyone been suspended in recent history for tripping?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: McQuaid Knee on Knee......suspension/fine coming? : That's right !  already started.  Some are saying Porter's and McQuaid were the same. Same intention different result.
    Posted by BsLegion

That's just BS.  Porter COULD have attempted to play the puck with a poke-check.   McQuaid could do nothing but stick his leg out to trip him or let him go.  He chose to trip him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: McQuaid Knee on Knee......suspension/fine coming? : Wow, I missed that one.  Insane.  When did penalties become suspensions? Before I go any further, has anyone been suspended in recent history for tripping?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

very well put .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

Yes, I think a suspension is coming...and I agree that he should get suspended, it was a dirty play. 

Now before I go any further I would like to state that I like McQuaid as a player, it think he brings  a lot to this team.  I don't think it was intentional and may have been a poor decision on his part, made in a fraction of a second as Foligno tried to get him around him. BUT.. I am just a little touchy when it comes to "leg Checks"!! (who the flock came up with that one???)  Leg checks???  Seriously???

My favorite player was taken out by one of those "leg checks" by that rotten cowardly piece of shyest Ulf Samuelsson!!!  So before we all come to the defence of McQuaid and get all hot under the collar when he receives a few games....lets all remember Ulf and remember how much we hated his style of play!!!!!

I love fighting in hockey, I love body checking in Hockey, I love team toughness and I love my Bruins but I hate dirty plays and I cannot be a homer on this one.  McQuaid has to sit a few and I hope I never see him "knee" another player again...respect boys.  Its all about respect given and respect received and karma is a muther!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: McQuaid Knee on Knee......suspension/fine coming? : That's just BS.  Porter COULD have attempted to play the puck with a poke-check.   McQuaid could do nothing but stick his leg out to trip him or let him go.  He chose to trip him. 
    Posted by jalvis

These are Hab fans calling in on TSN990 radio

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: McQuaid Knee on Knee......suspension/fine coming? : Wow, I missed that one.  Insane.  When did penalties become suspensions? Before I go any further, has anyone been suspended in recent history for tripping?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Not recent history and do linesmen count ?

20 games
    Tom Lysiak
    of the Chicago Blackhawks, for intentionally tripping a linesman in October, 1983.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

No suspension.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/15/mcquaid-avoids-suspension-for-kneeing-foligno/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot

Recently.  Maybe as recently as the word "stanchion" started getting more play.  There's always been a lunatic fan fringe that wanted every play where a player's injured to lead to a suspension for as long as the injured player is out.  The NHL has always held the line that, sure, injuries are part of the rationale for a suspension, but you need to have done something with an intent to injure.  There are some major penalties where even then, you can't say a guy was intending to injure the opponent.  Flagrant fouls in basketball are of this sort - overzealous but not malicious unless Rasheed's involved.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from grizzlybear69. Show grizzlybear69's posts

Were out of the dark ages with the Shannman.Fraser adding his two cents is beyond stupid. The  only thing he  should comment on is what kind of hair spray works best for  himself.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babajingo. Show Babajingo's posts

Yes, I think a suspension is coming...and I agree that he should get suspended, it was a dirty play.  Now before I go any further I would like to state that I like McQuaid as a player, it think he brings  a lot to this team.  I don't think it was intentional and may have been a poor decision on his part, made in a fraction of a second as Foligno tried to get him around him. BUT.. I am just a little touchy when it comes to "leg Checks"!! (who the flock came up with that one???)  Leg checks???  Seriously??? My favorite player was taken out by one of those "leg checks" by that rotten cowardly piece of shyest Ulf Samuelsson!!!  So before we all come to the defence of McQuaid and get all hot under the collar when he receives a few games....lets all remember Ulf and remember how much we hated his style of play!!!!! I love fighting in hockey, I love body checking in Hockey, I love team toughness and I love my Bruins but I hate dirty plays and I cannot be a homer on this one.  McQuaid has to sit a few and I hope I never see him "knee" another player again...respect boys.  Its all about respect given and respect received and karma is a muther!!
    Posted by scottm50

My thoughts exactly.  I'm a Bruins fan since the 70's.  Orr was done in by those checks too (to a lesser extent).  I'm sure it was an instant reaction for McQuaid but still it should have been 1 or 2 games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382829

Oh yah Red it's getting pretty funny...CanKuckle head first of course

PCCanucks
    "Who didn't see that coming??? Actually, I am surprise he got fined. Come on Man!!! Playing for Boston = no fines & no suspension. lol"

Get It Done
    "Tootoo...2 games. Paciorety..3 games. Sutton..8 games. Fistric...3 gmaes. McQuaid...a fine...so for the Bruins to say they don't get special treatment is an out and out lie. Shanahan will not suspend a Bruins player as long as Campbell is on the Executive Board."

Lovin it!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think the comments on TSN.Ca are embarrassing.  I've always thought the point was to beat the best, not beech and moan about how the best are playing under different rules.  Even if they are, so what?  Are you taking your chardonnay and sushi and going home?  What ever happened to champions overcoming adversity?  But nah, the one thing that's consistent about some of these commentators?  They're the kind of fan that wants their team to acquire Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin, Datsyuk but not because they like those players particularly.  They just don't want any opposition team to have anyone but AHL lifers and college free agents.

Most of those people are utterly unable to think for themselves.  They just get into the herd that cries and complains about how unfair it all is and they don't actually look at the incident, look at it on video, look at the incidents they're comparing it to.  I hate group think almost as much as the Shabs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Carcillo is on the Blackhawks. I like McQuaid, and I don't think the tought going through his head was "I'm going to wreck this guy's knee," but was probably "Uh oh, gotta hold him up some how." But that's what most people think when they do a leg-check. Doesn't change the fact that it's unacceptable. The point is that it IS still a game, and potentially handicapping someone isn't worth not letting up a scoring chance. That is why it should be suspended... not because he's malicious, but because a precedent needs to be set so people have their priorities in order. That said, again, I like McQuaid and think he's a stand-up dude who just screwed up... but that doesn't mean you aren't disciplined for your screw ups just because you "didn't mean it like that." This is almost exactly what I said regarding the Paille suspenssion. I look forward to him being back on the ice... in a few games.
    Posted by Tommy617

Agree with this entire post.  Most players who commit a leg-check "don't mean" to potentially cause a 6 week ACL injury to the other player- it really is just a sudden reaction that goes bad.  However, just like in high sticks, you are responsible for your actions.  Foligno not getting seriously injured was pure luck.

Deserved a game, based on the recent Porter suspension.

Bruins not getting suspensions when they deserve them just eggs on the Canadian crybabies.  I think it makes it harder to argue with the conspiracy loons when they have instances when they are right.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

A "leg check" is almost always intentional and the risk, of course, is that the guy you check gets his knee torn up. Hopefully McQuaid learns from this and doesn't get caught up ice again. It's nice, as a defenseman, when you can keep the puck in the attacking zone, but not at the risk of an odd man break out. He's getting paid to play solid defense not take risky offensive chances.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

A "leg check" is almost always intentional and the risk, of course, is that the guy you check gets his knee torn up. Hopefully McQuaid learns from this and doesn't get caught up ice again. It's nice, as a defenseman, when you can keep the puck in the attacking zone, but not at the risk of an odd man break out. He's getting paid to play solid defense not take risky offensive chances.
    Posted by trouts

Foligno got carried off the ice last night against Pitt. Despres took him out (same leg) but was only given a minor penalty. It was actually quite a game for the Sens. They won 6-4. Alfie and Karlson each had 3 points. Spezza and Cowen each had 4 points. Maybe last year for the Sens was an aberration.

Sections
Shortcuts