Meaningless, yes, but...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Meaningless, yes, but...

The ASG is about as exciting and as relevant as news that the Captain and Tenille are releasing a new album, but I found the following things appropriate:

I think it's highly unlikely that any goaltender ever wins four straight ASG decisions again, let alone 5.  And for what it's worth, TT had the highest save% of any of the goaltenders by more than 5%.

Chara scored the game winning goal.

Seguin and Kessel with the assists on Lupul's goal.

And the team with three Bruins on it?  Loses the Skills competition by a large margin only to win the actual game going away.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Re: Meaningless, yes, but...

Chara was +7 also. That in itself is a big accomplishment in the ASG.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The AS win streak for Thomas is something that should be added to that "records which will never be broken" thread.  Just bizarre.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Meaningless, yes, but...:
    [QUOTE]The AS win streak for Thomas is something that should be added to that "records which will never be broken" thread.  Just bizarre.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Bizarre is right.  But a record's a record.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Meaningless, yes, but...:[QUOTE] news that the Captain and Tenille are releasing a new album Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

When did that happen ? You know...I'm always the one who finds out last!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Meaningless, yes, but... : When did that happen ? You know...I'm always the one who finds out last!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I believe after the rare live recordings from Budokan of the "Chipmunk Love" tour were recently discovered.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I thought the game was fun to watch.  It was the first time I've actually watched one in many years.  Those Slovaks can rip.

The announcing was, as expected, incredibly poor.  Emerick needs to go far, far away from the mic and he needs to take newly wimpified Roenick with him.  And what's with all of the questions about hitting?  They kept asking and asking.  It's the ASG, you jerks.  That's not going to happen.

"I love your smile" might be the strangest thing I've ever heard in a hockey broadcast.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Darn.  Missed it.  I'll just take your word for it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Roenick was awful.  You could hear him trying to be...a broadcaster, I guess.  He sounded very unnatural and awkward praising everything, like it was the greatest thing he's ever seen.  A little forced in the enthusiasm department.  That said, I only watched about a third of the game.

Given that Emmrick was the announcer I am curious how many pucks were 'squibbed' in the game?  A couple dozen? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]I thought the game was fun to watch.  It was the first time I've actually watched one in many years.  Those Slovaks can rip. The announcing was, as expected, incredibly poor.  Emerick needs to go far, far away from the mic and he needs to take newly wimpified Roenick with him.  And what's with all of the questions about hitting?  They kept asking and asking.  It's the ASG, you jerks.  That's not going to happen. "I love your smile" might be the strangest thing I've ever heard in a hockey broadcast.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Not-A-Shot, for years I've been sickened by Emrick's horrible P-B-P, especially his inability to identify players. He can go a long time without telling you who has the puck. As for Roenick, he has to be the all-time suckup of color analysts. How many times does he have to tell us that NHL players are swell, the best, and how great the league is, and how great everyone is. Oh my god, it's like he knows he's getting paid to watch hockey now, realizes he's had a great life, and then proceeds to say nothing. He maybe the worst analyst I've ever seen on a network broadcast for any sport. He needs to go off the air quickly. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Meaningless, yes, but... : I believe after the rare live recordings from Budokan of the "Chipmunk Love" tour were recently discovered.
    Posted by SteveM[/QUOTE]

LMAO

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

how about the "there's nothing ugly bout you" maguire line regarding iginla?

teammates playnig against each other added a cool aspect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]The AS win streak for Thomas is something that should be added to that "records which will never be broken" thread.  Just bizarre.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

As much as TT has set some truly remakable records, the ASG win thing is as pointless as it is bizarre,  In this game he came into the third period tied. In at least 2 of the others, he actually gave up the tying goals which made him eligible for the win if he happened to be on the ice for the winning goal.

ASG game "winners" are one of the 2 third period goalies.  Usually, the guy voted to the team, starts. He didnt do that, I imagine to try for the "win."

This is not a TT criticism, but the record doesnt mean anything at all (other than playing in the 4 games)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Meaningless, yes, but... : As much as TT has set some truly remakable records, the ASG win thing is as pointless as it is bizarre,  In this game he came into the third period tied. In at least 2 of the others, he actually gave up the tying goals which made him eligible for the win if he happened to be on the ice for the winning goal. ASG game "winners" are one of the 2 third period goalies.  Usually, the guy voted to the team, starts. He didnt do that, I imagine to try for the "win." This is not a TT criticism, but the record doesnt mean anything at all (other than playing in the 4 games)
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

If it was your name in the NHL record book, I'm guessing you would be pretty happy about it.
    So would I, and so should TT.
    Doing something that no one else has ever done, is pretty cool. I don't understand your need to dismiss his accomplishment, other than your dislike for the man.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

no negatives needed, as above, Chara's countrymen really lit the place up. Many quality players not even there and glad to have a rest.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

jwb - Chara at +7 was supposed to be part of the OP - thanks for adding it.  The meaningless stat in a meaningless game - but it's still impressive.

SoxFan - agreed that it's an anomaly, a pure oddity of going from being the last man in in his first ASG to being put in last even though he was voted the starter.  But again, it's curiously compelling.  It means Thomas's team won four straight ASG's at a time when a lot of people still say the skill level and hockey is better in the west.  It's that Cris Carter kind of stat - all he does is win.

It's not like he's a vulture.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I think it's a valid and perceptive comparison to the success of the Bruins roster, and explains why the PP is the weak link.

Pretty good BB -

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Meaningless, yes, but... : As much as TT has set some truly remakable records, the ASG win thing is as pointless as it is bizarre,  In this game he came into the third period tied. In at least 2 of the others, he actually gave up the tying goals which made him eligible for the win if he happened to be on the ice for the winning goal. ASG game "winners" are one of the 2 third period goalies.  Usually, the guy voted to the team, starts. He didnt do that, I imagine to try for the "win." This is not a TT criticism, but the record doesnt mean anything at all (other than playing in the 4 games)
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]
    Oh, it is mostly meaningless for sure.  Everything you point out though is why it's one of those records unlikely to fall.  The set of circumstances leading to it has just been too weird.  If the chances of winning as the 3rd period goalie were 50/50 (probably not a bad approximation) there's only a 6% chance of winning 4 straight.  Must be his lucky quarter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]jwb - Chara at +7 was supposed to be part of the OP - thanks for adding it.  The meaningless stat in a meaningless game - but it's still impressive. SoxFan - agreed that it's an anomaly, a pure oddity of going from being the last man in in his first ASG to being put in last even though he was voted the starter.  But again, it's curiously compelling.  It means Thomas's team won four straight ASG's at a time when a lot of people still say the skill level and hockey is better in the west.  It's that Cris Carter kind of stat - all he does is win. It's not like he's a vulture.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Although the last 2 years it wasn't West against the East. Players got drafted and teams got mixed up. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

[QUOTE]Roenick was awful.  You could hear him trying to be...a broadcaster, I guess.  He sounded very unnatural and awkward praising everything, like it was the greatest thing he's ever seen.  A little forced in the enthusiasm department.  That said, I only watched about a third of the game. Given that Emmrick was the announcer I am curious how many pucks were 'squibbed' in the game?  A couple dozen? 
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Also wondering how much "helter skelter" there was on the ice..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

[QUOTE]I thought the game was fun to watch.  It was the first time I've actually watched one in many years.  Those Slovaks can rip. The announcing was, as expected, incredibly poor.  Emerick needs to go far, far away from the mic and he needs to take newly wimpified Roenick with him.  And what's with all of the questions about hitting?  They kept asking and asking.  It's the ASG, you jerks.  That's not going to happen. "I love your smile" might be the strangest thing I've ever heard in a hockey broadcast.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Yep, and they were gabbing away when CHARA smoked it, instead of focusing on the shot.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'll cut Roenick some slack...and then I'll take it away.

Slack - I'm guessing that the producers were under strict orders to make sure that this was a paid advertisement for the NHL, not a real game.  Bud vs. Bud Lite would be called more objectively.  You don't expect a colour guy at the ASG to bust out "they keep passing it to Alfredsson so he can get the hat trick and maybe the game MVP in his own city, but they have to realize that they're down three goals in this game and can't put personal glory above winning.  It's embarrassing really."

Take it Back - Roenick is listening to producers?  When he was a player, he had no trouble saying stupid and negative things.  He's the kind of guy who should be a colour guy just because he's likely to say something like "the only guy out there playing the same way he does every night is Phil Kessel."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

While I am thrilled that Thomas got the 4th consecutive win, I was disappointed that he had the opportunity. As one of the 6 players that the fans voted on to START the game, why was he not on the ice for the first period? I don't recall the ballot asking us to choose 6 players, 5 starters and one to come into the game in the third period. Can anyone explain why he wasn't in the nets at the beginning of the game? Was it explained during pre game, and I missed it?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]While I am thrilled that Thomas got the 4th consecutive win, I was disappointed that he had the opportunity. As one of the 6 players that the fans voted on to START the game, why was he not on the ice for the first period? I don't recall the ballot asking us to choose 6 players, 5 starters and one to come into the game in the third period. Can anyone explain why he wasn't in the nets at the beginning of the game? Was it explained during pre game, and I missed it?
    Posted by davecarr[/QUOTE]
    I guess it was TT's choice and he chose to start the third because he knew he had a chance for the record.Maybe he thinks 4 asg victories will be what it takes to get him in the HOF.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I have no problem with him electing to play the third period, obviously he did it because his chances of being a goalie of record were increased therefor so were his chances of being the wiining goalie..I would have done the same thing...He wasnt the first goalie out there for the skills either, so I'm sure he rather finish stuff then start and sit..

Sections
Shortcuts