Merrimack's Da Costa

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Merrimack's Da Costa

I've heard some rumbling over the season that the Bruins (and other teams) would be trying to sign this guy as a free agent when Merrimack's season ended.

He sure seems like a pretty dynamic player in college and a rarity as an undrafted standout.  I think that Burke Burke has led the charge in bringing in some good talent this way -- late-blooming college kids who go undrafted and then become top flight NCAA players.  I know there are some entry contract drawbacks but someone like Da Costa seems worth the risk.  I think he would immediately be the Bruins best NCAA prospect and they don't have to trade or use a draft pick.

Here's hoping the Bruins sign Stephane Da Costa in the coming days... 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Merrimack's Da Costa

Saw he has good numbers . Just never saw him play.
    It is interesting how some of these guys go under the radar.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Merrimack's Da Costa:
    Saw he has good numbers . Just never saw him play. It is interesting how some of these guys go under the radar.
    Posted by BsLegion

Krejci like, Shoots more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

Look @ Bobby Butler (local kid)....same situation, blossomed in college and now is a playing a regualr shift w/ Ottawa; what the heck, sign this kid, let him gain pro experience in the A, and see what he can do.  A different game when the cages come off, most need seasoning in the minors.  Its worth the invesmtent if he put up good numbers in Hockey East, not making a great showing in this year's tourney, but always a top flight league to develop players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from flave36. Show flave36's posts

Very shifty player, that'd be a great pick up.  Just one of those players that stands out from everyone on the ice even vs the great teams.  Made a lot of great plays in the Hockey East finals.  Too bad the Mack couldnt get past the Irish, tough break.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I saw him in a couple Hockey East games over the past two years, and thought he frequently looked like the best player on the ice.  Given that there were 10-12 drafted players in those games, he seems like he could be a bit of a steal as a free-agent signing.

I think he was passed over in the draft because he has a low profile background (he's French) and played for a low profile school (Merrimack).  But for the past two years he has been one of the best players in the Hockey East, and he's the only guy in that category who does not already belong to an NHL club. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Saw him against the Black Bears this year and thought the same thing. Kid looks like he could play with the big boys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Sounds like we should know where he will end up by tomorrow...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2011/03/da-costa-doing-business-with-nhl.html

Hope it is the B's...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from flave36. Show flave36's posts

Sounds like we should know where he will end up by tomorrow... http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2011/03/da-costa-doing-business-with-nhl.html Hope it is the B's...
    Posted by Fletcher1

As much as I'd like them to its probably not likely, with the log jam at center and his salary demands, I'm sure Toronto or Edmonton will throw the dough at him

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Sounds like we should know where he will end up by tomorrow... http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2011/03/da-costa-doing-business-with-nhl.html Hope it is the B's...
    Posted by Fletcher1

Just heard his name on the radio.  They're saying he'll be signed within the next 2 weeks by one of the NHL perusing him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I think he was passed over in the draft because he has a low profile background (he's French) and played for a low profile school (Merrimack). 
    Posted by Fletcher1

Sorry to correct you Fletch, but he is of Portuguese heritage and grew up in Quebec.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In Response to Re: Merrimack's Da Costa : Sorry to correct you Fletch, but he is of Portuguese heritage and grew up in Quebec.
    Posted by Wheatskins

Not saying you are wrong.  However, Merrimack lists his hometown as Paris, France and played in the USHL for 2 years prior to joing the Warriors.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TTisOverrated. Show TTisOverrated's posts

In Response to Re: Merrimack's Da Costa : Sorry to correct you Fletch, but he is of Portuguese heritage and grew up in Quebec.
    Posted by Wheatskins

he was born in france

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

sorry to correct you wheats, but hes from paris

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Damn it.  Ottawa got him.

Wheats, everything I've seen says he's from Paris.  Any source on the Portugese stuff?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

He could have Portugese heritage, be born in Paris, and grow up in Quebec, no?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

He could have Portugese heritage, be born in Paris, and grow up in Quebec, no?
    Posted by matttt87

Maybe.  Did he?  I was just wondering if there was a source since I hadn't seen that.

Typically when someone is born in France, speaks French, and plays for the French National Team, it is not incorrect to refer to them as 'french'.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

I agree, I'm just wondering if you guys are referring to different things.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Damn it.  Ottawa got him. Wheats, everything I've seen says he's from Paris.  Any source on the Portugese stuff?
    Posted by Fletcher1

Bruins were at a disadvantage much had to do with the bonuses . Since Seguin already collecting the Bruins couldn't commit also on him.
    Not sure though if it's a CBA thing or Bruins management.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Perhaps.  I'm just bummed that the B's didn't nab him.  Maybe the price was run up a little too high by all of the interested teams.  Of course there has to be a point where the cost is too much for the risk and maybe it reached that point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from logeseats. Show logeseats's posts

So why didn't this guy have to go through the draft? Is there a rule that if you reach a certain age undrafted you are free agent?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

As with Proud Mary Wheeler, opportunity is a huge factor when signing guys at his age.  18 year olds won't like being told they need time to grow up, fill out, develop, but they probably know it's true in most cases.  22 year old college guys see a situation like Ottawa or Toronto, they see comparable dollars, and they jump.  No AHL time if you go to a team like the Sens.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So why didn't this guy have to go through the draft? Is there a rule that if you reach a certain age undrafted you are free agent?
    Posted by logeseats

Basically, yes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

Posted by logeseats

and i'm pretty sure that rule exists for every league that has a draft

Sections
Shortcuts