Messier Rangers coach ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Messier Rangers coach ?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=673991&navid=nhl:topheads

Yes, of course," Messier told NHL.com when asked Friday at United Center if he formally interviewed with Rangers president and general manager Glen Sather. "That was one thing I wanted to have happen, to go through the process like everybody else and to experience that, and to give Glen the opportunity to make a decision that he feels comfortable with."

"We had our scouts meetings and I've had conversations with Glen, and like anybody that would be interested in coaching, obviously the Rangers would be a dream come true for a lot of coaches," Messier said. "I told Glen I would have interest, so we've had discussions and that's where it stands right now."

One thing is for sure Ranger players would know how to slash and elbow with the best of them!

I couldn't go with someone that has virtually no experience coaching.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Messier Rangers coach ?

"The Los Angeles Times reported Friday that Los Angeles Kings assistant coach John Stevens is expected to interview for the vacant coaching job with the New York Rangers."

I don't think Stevens will be an assistant for much longer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Getting Messier to coach the Rangers is like getting Gretzky to coach the Coyotes, nice idea but wrong decision.Both are great players but that doesn't necessarily tranlate into them being great coaches.It was a mistake with Gretzky and would be a mistake with Messier.As soon as Gretzky was relieved of his duties and Tippet took over the Coyotes made the playoffs and actually did something when they got there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

And to add to this, you have to think Sather is on a short leash himself. I don't think he has many moves nor lives left as GM of the Rangers. He better pick a winner.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"The Los Angeles Times reported Friday that Los Angeles Kings assistant coach John Stevens is expected to interview for the vacant coaching job with the New York Rangers."

Messier could be a great coach, who knows. Not sure this is the situation where Sather has the luxury of finding out though. I think Stevens would be the logical choice, but Sather as we all know prefers sexy over logical.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Getting Messier to coach the Rangers is like getting Gretzky to coach the Coyotes, nice idea but wrong decision.Both are great players but that doesn't necessarily tranlate into them being great coaches.It was a mistake with Gretzky and would be a mistake with Messier.As soon as Gretzky was relieved of his duties and Tippet took over the Coyotes made the playoffs and actually did something when they got there.

The Gretzky/Tippet example's a good one.  I can't remember if Tippet inherited essentially the same team or not.  I wonder what the percentage is of former great players who became great coaches.  I'm not sure if the same skills and habits that made them great perhaps aren't always valuable skills and habits for coaching. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Last I heard, isn't Vigneault the front runner?

Are you not entertained?!?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Messier could be a great coach, who knows. Not sure this is the situation where Sather has the luxury of finding out though. I think Stevens would be the logical choice, but Sather as we all know prefers sexy over logical. [/QUOTE]

And that's what gets him in trouble.

Sections
Shortcuts