Michigan State's Krug agrees to deal with Bruins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Michigan State's Krug agrees to deal with Bruins

In Response to Re: Michigan State's Krug agrees to deal with Bruins:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michigan State's Krug agrees to deal with Bruins : I've watched him twice on the tube. Was good enough to grab my attention, but in my limited observations, he's no Rafalski.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

NAS is way off on that.
    I saw Loprieno play only once at rookie camp, he came on an invite.
    Booming shot, dished out the 2 most punishing hits of the day.
    I don't know if he'll ever make it, but he impressed me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

[QUOTE]I haven't seen either play, but size on D does not concern me. If you are good, height doesn't matter. Hockey is played on the ice, not above your head. An extra inch does not make a difference. Even if the guy was 6'1", there would be guys who would muscle him out of the crease. Hopefully he has another skill set that is useful.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Have to disagree Oates!!!  One guy I can mention is John Slaney. He was one of the most respected defenceman in the AHL, perennial all star, great skater, passer, head for the game but could not stick in the NHL because of his stature....SIZE MATTERS. I highly doubt this Krug kid has the nuts or skill that Slaney had!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

No, he could not make it in the NHL because he wasn't good enough, not because he wasn't big enough. There are countless NHL defensmen who have been outstanding but small. Paul Coffey was amazing and probably never threw a hit in his career. Rafalski was outstanding. Ryan Ellis will be real good. On the Bruins alone, a supposed "big" team, we have Ference and Zannon both under 6'. More to my point, take Duncan Keith, one of the best defenseman in the NHL. He's about 6'.  If was to battle Lucic he would give up 4 inches and about 30lbs. A smaller player might give up 6 or 7 inches and 40lbs. It doesn't matter, either way the smaller guy is going to lose that confrontation if it was pure mass that mattered. But Duncan Keith is skilled and knows how to play a guy. He can match up with anyone, no matter how much bigger they are.  I've seen Tyler Ennis (5'9" at best) knock down Chara 4 times in the last calendar year.  I know nothing about Krug and I doubt he will make the NHL. But if he doesn't it's because he's not good enough, not because he is not big enough.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michigan State's Krug agrees to deal with Bruins : Have to disagree Oates!!!  One guy I can mention is John Slaney. He was one of the most respected defenceman in the AHL, perennial all star, great skater, passer, head for the game but could not stick in the NHL because of his stature....SIZE MATTERS. I highly doubt this Krug kid has the nuts or skill that Slaney had!!
    Posted by scottm50[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Michigan State's Krug agrees to deal with Bruins:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michigan State's Krug agrees to deal with Bruins : Dan Boyle, undersized and undrafted. Seems to have worked out nicely for him.Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I'd be happy with either a Dan Boyle or Brian Rafalski clone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

And I shall call him, Mini-Me.

Muahahaha.

Ok all this clone talk made me think Austin Powers. So there you have it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsInSeven. Show BruinsInSeven's posts

Does anyone want to post some stats of Krug dude?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone want to post some stats of Krug dude?
    Posted by BruinsInSeven[/QUOTE]

Can I cut and paste from hockeydb?  Why yes, I believe I can

2008-09Indiana IceUSHL591037475031316713
    2009-10Michigan State UniversityCCHA383182167      
    2010-11Michigan State UniversityCCHA3811172859      
    2011-12Michigan State UniversityCCHA38122234510   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michigan State's Krug agrees to deal with Bruins : Can I cut and paste from hockeydb?  Why yes, I believe I can 2008-09 Indiana Ice USHL 59 10 37 47 50 3 13 1 6 7 13 2009-10 Michigan State University CCHA 38 3 18 21 67             2010-11 Michigan State University CCHA 38 11 17 28 59             2011-12 Michigan State University CCHA 38 12 22 34 51 0      
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

note that I didn't say how well I could cut and paste from hockey db.
    But you can clearly see that he played some games for Michigan State.

What else would you want to know?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michigan State's Krug agrees to deal with Bruins : note that I didn't say how well I could cut and paste from hockey db. But you can clearly see that he played some games for Michigan State. What else would you want to know?
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

This makes me laugh.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michigan State's Krug agrees to deal with Bruins : This makes me laugh.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

at least he's polite :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

All they had to do is remove the name on no47 jersey, they wear the same sie. Couldn't resist.

Boston Bruins@NHL

Krug has joined the team on the ice and is wearing 47...^BISH

And this is an awkward scene.
    http://yfrog.com/mmz7zgij

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]All they had to do is remove the name on no47 jersey, they wear the same sie. Couldn't resist. Boston Bruins ‏ @ NHL Krug has joined the team on the ice and is wearing 47...^BISH And this is an awkward scene. http://yfrog.com/mmz7zgij
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

That scene from the wizard of oz instantly popped into my mind...  Is Keug welcoming Chara to Munchkin Land?

'We represent the Lollipop Guild, the Lollipop Guild, the Lollipop Guild..."

The Habs are probably drooling over this guy to add to their collection of smuffs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

To answer the question of why he isn't reporting to Providence, apparently practicing with the defending champs (and maybe logging a game if things go fantastically well) was a deal sweetener to get him to sign with Boston.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I've watched Krug play in 2 or 3 Michigan State games this year, and in fairness to red, he was the focal point of the whole broadcast.  He's the captain, a Hobey finalist, plays a ton of minutes, and the broadcasters were all boned up over the kid.  So, without even trying, you did kind of notice what he was doing on most shifts.  He was everywhere, a great skater who looked like the Rec. league ringer among normal CCHA talent.  Great skater, passer, and a good shot...at that level.  How he translates to the NHL, I have no idea.  I would say he was a more dynamic college player than Hunwick and Kampfer, and he played on a very average MSU team.

Andy Greene might be a better comparable.  Both from Michigan, similar size, undrafted, team captain, NCAA, CCHA, similar style.  Hope he turns out as good as Greene.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]I've watched Krug play in 2 or 3 Michigan State games this year, and in fairness to red, he was the focal point of the whole broadcast.  He's the captain, a Hobey finalist, plays a ton of minutes, and the broadcasters were all boned up over the kid.  So, without even trying, you did kind of notice what he was doing on most shifts.  He was everywhere, a great skater who looked like the Rec. league ringer among normal CCHA talent.  Great skater, passer, and a good shot...at that level.  How he translates to the NHL, I have no idea.  I would say he was a more dynamic college player than Hunwick and Kampfer, and he played on a very average MSU team. Andy Greene might be a better comparable.  Both from Michigan, similar size, undrafted, team captain, NCAA, CCHA, similar style.  Hope he turns out as good as Greene.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Great Fletch,  thanks, I was waiting for you to weigh in on this conversation. Just the fact you say he was more dynamic than Hunwick and Kampfer means a lot to me.  I guess he has that much more offensive upside than the other 2 had.

Also I was watching a game between Colorado College and Denver and noticed Mike's son Alexander Krushelnyski. Pretty good skill from the kid. 
    What do you think of him ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It's not just chumming around. He gets to burn a year of entry level contract and get's a pro-rated portion of an NHL salary. Couple hundred G's to practice with NHL'ers. I'd take that. But it's also a pretty smart way for Chiarelli to sweeten the pot and get the free agent signed. The end result will be a two-year, two-way deal like he gave to Wheeler, with a small signing bonus that won't affect the cap next year.

[QUOTE]To answer the question of why he isn't reporting to Providence, apparently practicing with the defending champs (and maybe logging a game if things go fantastically well) was a deal sweetener to get him to sign with Boston.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]To answer the question of why he isn't reporting to Providence, apparently practicing with the defending champs (and maybe logging a game if things go fantastically well) was a deal sweetener to get him to sign with Boston.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

yup it was.  From homepage blog:

Krug will remain with the team for the rest of the season, a perk which was part of his deal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michigan State's Krug agrees to deal with Bruins : Great Fletch,  thanks, I was waiting for you to weigh in on this conversation. Just the fact you say he was more dynamic than Hunwick and Kampfer means a lot to me.  I guess he has that much more offensive upside than the other 2 had. Also I was watching a game between Colorado College and Denver and noticed Mike's son Alexander Krushelnyski. Pretty good skill from the kid.  What do you think of him ?
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Thanks Legion.  I just remember Hunwick and Kampfer playing somewhat complimentary roles on pretty deep Michigan teams (Hunwick was paired with Jack Johnson, who was/is better), whereas Krug was clearly the game breaker and go-to-guy on MSU. Always out against the other team's top lines, always out on special teams, and always running the powerplay. He had a knack for coming through for them too.

Did you see the game where Krushelnyski scored on the penalty shot to win the game against Denver?  That was a sick move.  He looks ultra skilled to me, but I don't think he's a very physical player, so it will be interesting to see him play post-NCAA. I need to watch him play more. Only made it to two CC games this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michigan State's Krug agrees to deal with Bruins : Thanks Legion.  I just remember Hunwick and Kampfer playing somewhat complimentary roles on pretty deep Michigan teams (Hunwick was paired with Jack Johnson, who was/is better), whereas Krug was clearly the game breaker and go-to-guy on MSU. Always out against the other team's top lines, always out on special teams, and always running the powerplay. He had a knack for coming through for them too. Did you see the game where Krushelnyski scored on the penalty shot to win the game against Denver?  That was a sick move.  He looks ultra skilled to me, but I don't think he's a very physical player, so it will be interesting to see him play post-NCAA. I need to watch him play more. Only made it to two CC games this year.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

LOL... yes that's the games !!! It was on the CBS sports channel on the weekend.
    Great atmosphere, fans and hockey game.
    He also scored in the 1st period and had googling him as soon as I heard his name.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]It's not just chumming around. He gets to burn a year of entry level contract and get's a pro-rated portion of an NHL salary. Couple hundred G's to practice with NHL'ers. I'd take that. But it's also a pretty smart way for Chiarelli to sweeten the pot and get the free agent signed. The end result will be a two-year, two-way deal like he gave to Wheeler, with a small signing bonus that won't affect the cap next year. In Response to Re: Michigan State's Krug agrees to deal with Bruins :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

He only burns a year if he plays, though - and he won't play 9 or more.  He'll also make about 72K for being on the roster for 7 or 8 games based on a $900K salary.  Still sweet, but not quite as sweet as the scenario you've described.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

You're right on the money thing, I was lazy on my math there. But Krug isn't a drafted player and he's over 19 years old when signing his contract. Therefore his ELC doesn't slide years based on games played. If he signs this year, it's the first year of his contract, regardless of how many games he plays. His contract has more in common with say... Marty Turco's than it does with Dougie Hamilton's, other than dollar value caps.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michigan State's Krug agrees to deal with Bruins : He only burns a year if he plays, though - and he won't play 9 or more.  He'll also make about 72K for being on the roster for 7 or 8 games based on a $900K salary.  Still sweet, but not quite as sweet as the scenario you've described.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts