Mid-year Musings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

Mid-year Musings

Greetings, guys.  Been out of touch, but with some time on my hands today, thought I’d submit my take on this season so far… On the stat sheet after games, Bruins are more often than not coming out on top in categories such as shots, takeaways, face-offs won, and of course, goals scored.  On the downside, they are getting out-hit in almost every game.  Surprising, given their reputation as a big and nasty team.  Wondering if this has more to do with fatigue (especially in these games leading up to the break), or something else—like a desire to play sound positional hockey.  Would like to see them ramp it up physically, as I know they will come playoff time, to round out that “difficult to play against” credo.  Committing to take the body can only lead to good things: a more proactive (hence less reactive) team that forces turnovers, creates transition, and gets teammates and fans (when at home) even more fired up. Milan Lucic is having a tremendous year in on the fight card.  Can’t see too many more guys willing to go with him.  Scary thing is, he doesn’t even look too ticked off as he handles his opponents.  Very methodical, almost cold-blooded. Hate to see what would happen if he gets Komo-style, frothing-at-the-mouth mad at someone.  And by the way, two of his bouts were right after a whistle…pre-arranged as an ancient wedding.  Does that make him a “skating clown?”  And why does that label stick here with Shawn Thornton?  Hasn’t this guy shown his value in other ways—like helping swing the momentum of a Stanley Cup final?  I always say, if you don’t like the spectacle, hate the game, not the player—especially when it’s one of your own.  It’s like if you have an unattractive child, you don’t use the word ugly (that’s for other guys)…no, he’s…got character.  By the way, agreed that guys like Tom Sestito are clowns, period, and have no place in the NHL. Has Rich Peverly’s mystery condition been revealed?  Seems like the guy’s missed more practices than Allen Iverson.  Hope the All-Star break will give him time to heal. Why do some, inside and outside the organization, suggest the Bruins still need a puck moving defensemen?  Isn’t that why they went out and got Joe Corvo?  And what’s with the talk of Tim Gleason?  He’d be a decent fit, but again with the Hurricanes?  At least we know we won’t be getting Kaberle back.  I don’t know how to describe all this…just reminds me of my wife constantly saying she needs shoes, going to the same store, and then what do ya know?  It ends up with her saying she’s not satisfied with the purchase and wanting to do a return. I know the Tim Thomas White House boycott has been discussed exhaustively, but still seems, in the words of Jon Favreau in Swingers… ‘kind of a d-ck move if you ask me.’  Those who try to invoke politics in these discussions are usually run off the boards.  The reason is that hockey and politics don’t mix.  Like donuts and liverwurst, or Elton John and Eminem—there’s a squirm factor.  Sure, everyone’s entitled to their political beliefs, but there’s a time and a place.  He could have co-authored a blog with Ted Nugent, called into the Rush Limbaugh show, or, started a petition outside a Burlington Coat Factory.  I expect everyone will move on, but in the short term, this political grandstanding called attention to himself and created an unnecessary distraction for his teammates. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krispy73. Show Krispy73's posts

Re: Mid-year Musings

Hey Wesman,

Love the post!

I have the same feelings about TT as you. I've been trying to stay quiet about it on public boards, facebook etc.... Some folk just saw it as an opportunity to turn it into party vs party. It was driving me mad.

Another thing Cam and Peter half kiddingly said last night was they are somewhat glad they lost to the Caps before the all star break. They said the guys wouldn't be spending these next 5 days feeling confident and high on themselves. It might bring them back to earth. I never thought of it that way because we always want a win, but perhaps they're right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Good post, Wesman.
    Re: Thornton, I have to admit he does a lot more that just being a goon. Guys like Shelley and Orr are the real dinosaurs out there. ST can skate and bring other things to the table. Not a fan of the staged fight but the B's seem to respond when he has these fights...so who am I to judge?
    Re: TT, I think you nailed it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Personally, if your team isn't hitting, then your team isn't showing up to play. Period. And that is exactly what the Bruins aren't 't doing. Showing up 100 %.  The mental mistakes the D-men have being making ( all of them ), shows us this. It looks like the Bruins have being rattled a bit by the Canucklehead game as they haven't being consistently into the games since that time, with the exception of the Florida game, which Florida was even in a worse funk than the Bruins.'

I think this break will do them good. Heal the naggy little hurts and it will be up to the coaches to get them playing like a team, heading into the end of season #1 and into the real season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Mid-year Musings:
    [QUOTE]Greetings, guys.   B een out of touch, but with some time on my hands today, thought I’d submit my take on this season so far…   On the stat sheet after games, Bruins are more often than not coming out on top in categories such as shots, takeaways, face-offs won, and of course, goals scored.   On the downside, they are getting out-hit in almost every game.   Surprising, given their reputation as a big and nasty team.   Wondering if this has more to do with fatigue (especially in these games leading up to the break), or something else—like a desire to play sound positional hockey.   Would like to see them ramp it up physically, as I know they will come playoff time, to round out that “difficult to play against” credo.   Committing to take the body can only lead to good things: a more proactive (hence less reactive) team that forces turnovers, creates transition, and gets teammates and fans (when at home) even more fired up.   Milan Lucic is having a tremendous year in on the fight card.   Can’t see too many more guys willing to go with him.   Scary thing is, he doesn’t even look too ticked off as he handles his opponents.   Very methodical, almost cold-blooded. Hate to see what would happen if he gets Komo-style, frothing-at-the-mouth mad at someone.   And by the way, two of his bouts were right after a whistle…pre-arranged as an ancient wedding.   Does that make him a “skating clown?”   And why does that label stick here with Shawn Thornton?   Hasn’t this guy shown his value in other ways—like helping swing the momentum of a Stanley Cup final?   I always say, if you don’t like the spectacle, hate the game, not the player—especially when it’s one of your own.   It’s like if you have an unattractive child, you don’t use the word ugly (that’s for other guys)…no, he’s…got character.   By the way, agreed that guys like Tom Sestito are clowns, period, and have no place in the NHL.   Has Rich Peverly’s mystery condition been revealed?   Seems like the guy’s missed more practices than Allen Iverson.   Hope the All-Star break will give him time to heal.   Why do some, inside and outside the organization, suggest the Bruins still need a puck moving defensemen?   Isn’t that why they went out and got Joe Corvo?   And what’s with the talk of Tim Gleason?   He’d be a decent fit, but again with the Hurricanes?   At least we know we won’t be getting Kaberle back.   I don’t know how to describe all this…just reminds me of my wife constantly saying she needs shoes, going to the same store, and then what do ya know?   It ends up with her saying she’s not satisfied with the purchase and wanting to do a return.   I know the Tim Thomas White House boycott has been discussed exhaustively, but still seems, in the words of Jon Favreau in Swingers … ‘kind of a d-ck move if you ask me.’   Those who try to invoke politics in these discussions are usually run off the boards.   The reason is that hockey and politics don’t mix.   Like donuts and liverwurst, or Elton John and Eminem—there’s a squirm factor.   Sure, everyone’s entitled to their political beliefs, but there’s a time and a place.   He could have co-authored a blog with Ted Nugent, called into the Rush Limbaugh show, or, started a petition outside a Burlington Coat Factory.   I expect everyone will move on, but in the short term, this political grandstanding called attention to himself and created an unnecessary distraction for his teammates.  
    Posted by wesman[/QUOTE]

the lucic fights after the whistle were the result of something that happened in previous games, his hits on miller and rinaldo.  he answered the bell, so in answer to your question, he's not a skating clown.

when thornton fights after the whistle, it's because he's on the ice when the opponent's skating clown is on the ice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

Thanks Krispy, Seo...good to see you both still around. 
    Should be another wild ride goin' down to the stretch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

wesman - Man, it's been a while.  Solid thoughts, as always.