Might Koko be more valuable to the B's than Spooner???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Might Koko be more valuable to the B's than Spooner???

Wanted to throw this out there to see what the experts had to say.  In my mind there seems to be a case to be made that Koko could be a more valuable assett for the B's to hang on to than Spooner.

From what I have read, it seems like they are comperable talents --- smallish, but offensively gifted forwards who put up a lot of points in juniors and are about ppg in the AHL.  Even the knock on them is the same -- defense.  The main difference is that Spooner seems to only be fit for center, while Koko can score a little more and play the wing.

I, like many others on here was rooting for Spooner to take Kelly's place as third line center, but I'm not so sure about that anymore.  The more I see Soderberg play center, the more I want him to stay there.  Since the top two center spots on this team are locked in, Spooner would be third line no matter what, however I think Soderberg fits that role better because his size allows him to play a grittier game more fit for thrid line duties.

While Spooner coing up to the B's next year means that Soderberg will be underutilized (much better center than he is a wing).  Koko on the other hand seems like a similarly high end prospect that could fit in at the wing where the Bruins need the help.

If one of them (Spooner or Koko) is going to be used in a trade package, I'm inclined to think the that Spooner has more trade value, and is fighting a tough uphill battle to break in as the top 6 center his talent projects him to be while Koko could fit in nicely as a third line wing to break into the NHL next year.

Fire away!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: Might Koko be more valuable to the B's than Spooner???

I don't really know what to make of this. First off, I don't think Koko has done anything close to what Spooner has done at the AHL level, and I don't think he's close to as valuable a prospect as spooner. I also don't think anyone is down on Spooner's defense. I'm not at least. he still needs to get stronger but positionally he's fine. Also, I don't think I've heard anyone say that he's incapable of playing wing. I think he's incapable of playing RW, but not LW. So basically I disgaree with all of this, respectfully. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I honestly think Spooner stays for awhile, hes much better than a 3rd liner and thats all thats keeping him from the big club. You have bergeron and kercji standing in the way and the 3rd line role as it is with the Bs is not good for spooner. That perhaps may make him expendable for the right price. I havent seen koko yet so cant really comment on him. If you wanna talk value assets, id start with the defense which is where this team has alot of depth, bartowski proven i think miller also along with krug makes for some interesting trade talk. The unprovens such as morrow and a couple others are highly raked prosoects,rebuilding teams may look at them.

Just my thoughts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:

I honestly think Spooner stays for awhile, hes much better than a 3rd liner and thats all thats keeping him from the big club. You have bergeron and kercji standing in the way and the 3rd line role as it is with the Bs is not good for spooner. That perhaps may make him expendable for the right price. I havent seen koko yet so cant really comment on him. If you wanna talk value assets, id start with the defense which is where this team has alot of depth, bartowski proven i think miller also along with krug makes for some interesting trade talk. The unprovens such as morrow and a couple others are highly raked prosoects,rebuilding teams may look at them.

Just my thoughts

why is the third line not a good roll for him. third line can be a scoring line. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

Just my thoughts

why is the third line not a good roll for him. third line can be a scoring line. 

CJ system isnt a 3 line offensive system or at least hasnt seemed to be.yes it certainly can be with loui kelly and spooner but its just not the Bs system. Id love to a 3rd line offense and the 4th line a checking line without ST,

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

First off, I don't think Koko has done anything close to what Spooner has done at the AHL level, and I don't think he's close to as valuable a prospect as spooner. I also don't think anyone is down on Spooner's defense. I'm not at least. he still needs to get stronger but positionally he's fine.

Well put but there are some on here who don't think Spooner is not good enough defensively. Of course it's a fact not an opinion.

Chappy - the best way to look is - how does Julien see where KoKo or Spooner fit. If you get a chance to catch or watch a Providence game on one of the free sites (you can catch a game occasionally). You see the immediate difference in passing, back-checking and overall in-game intuitiveness...Spooner is off the charts.

Spooner lost 10lbs when he was with the Bs, somehow he has to solve this to survive the in-game pounding players receive. Also I would have to see more of KOKo on the NHL level.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Just my thoughts

CJ system isnt a 3 line offensive system or at least hasnt seemed to be.yes it certainly can be with loui kelly and spooner but its just not the Bs system. Id love to a 3rd line offense and the 4th line a checking line without ST,

Not true. 2008-2009 was the Bruins most successful regular season under Julien. Your third line:

Blake Wheeler: 21 goals - 24 assists - 45 points, +36, David Krejci: 22 goals - 51 assists -73 points, +37, Michael Ryder: 27 goals - 26 assists - 53 points, +28

Last year they traded for Jagr to be a third liner. It didn't work that way but they did. There is nothing in Julien's system taht dictates the third line isn't a scoring line. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I don't really know what to make of this. First off, I don't think Koko has done anything close to what Spooner has done at the AHL level, and I don't think he's close to as valuable a prospect as spooner. I also don't think anyone is down on Spooner's defense. I'm not at least. he still needs to get stronger but positionally he's fine. Also, I don't think I've heard anyone say that he's incapable of playing wing. I think he's incapable of playing RW, but not LW. So basically I disgaree with all of this, respectfully. 

I'm pretty sure that Koko is top ten in rookie scoring in the AHL right now, and most of his production has come in the latter part of the season as it took him a bit to adjust.  Since Spooner got called up he seems to have take a little bit more of a leadership role offensively.  Similar to Spooner's first year in the AHL he is running just a bit short of ppg since he has adjusted.

As for the wing/center question.  CJ himself has said he prefers Spooner's skillset as a center.  The guy is putting up a ton of assists, but almost no goals.  Koko on the other hand is more balanced, and according to scounting reports can play wing or center.

If you look at their junior careers, you will see the similarity in point production there as well.  If anything, I think Koko was more prolific in the OHL than Spooner if you leave out his run at playing in the KHL for his uncle.

Feel free to disagree with my opinion of their relative value, but a little bit of reading will confirm my original references to their past performance.  Lot's of good info out there

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Well put but there are some on here who don't think Spooner is not good enough defensively. Of course it's a fact not an opinion.

Chappy - the best way to look is - how does Julien see where KoKo or Spooner fit. If you get a chance to catch or watch a Providence game on one of the free sites (you can catch a game occasionally). You see the immediate difference in passing, back-checking and overall in-game intuitiveness...Spooner is off the charts.

Spooner lost 10lbs when he was with the Bs, somehow he has to solve this to survive the in-game pounding players receive. Also I would have to see more of KOKo on the NHL level.

[/QUOTE]

I hear you.  My perspective is more based on liking Soderberg as our 3rd line center over Spooner.  We have a logjam at center, so any center in the organization holds a little less value, where as a promising winger might be more valued.

If Spooner comes up and takes 3C, then what do we do with Soderberg?  Yes, I know he can play wing, but you have to admit that he has been dangerous at center...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't think anyone would argue against how well Soderberg has played at center. And he should stay there this year and beyond.

But lets keep Kelly as well, he wins faceoffs!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I don't think anyone would argue against how well Soderberg has played at center. And he should stay there this year and beyond.

Oh ya I forgot.  Might as well trade Soderberg and Spooner with Kells in there!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Chappy28's comment:

I hear you.  My perspective is more based on liking Soderberg as our 3rd line center over Spooner.  We have a logjam at center, so any center in the organization holds a little less value, where as a promising winger might be more valued.

If Spooner comes up and takes 3C, then what do we do with Soderberg?  Yes, I know he can play wing, but you have to admit that he has been dangerous at center...

It would be an agonizing decesion for sure and must be but I have to say Soderberg needs to be on the Bruins for years to come. He's only going to get better. Just look how much better the Bruins are with Soda on the PP.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Top 10 Prospects as of Jan 18th.

http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/Boston_Bruins_top_10_prospects

1. Ryan Spooner, C

Strengths: Possesses high-end speed, hands and offensive hockey IQ. Spooner is a dangerous playmaker, excelling along the half-wall where he uses his superior vision and deft passing touch to great effect. Worked hard over summer to add the right kind of weight and led Providence in scoring at the quarter mark.

Weaknesses: Defense will never be a strong suit, but needs to focus on bringing consistent effort to each shift. Will need to improve his faceoff skills going forward.

Projection: Ceiling is a second-line NHL center and power-play threat. Spooner is receiving his first extended NHL look with the Bruins, as no other B’s prospect has his combination of speed, scoring and sense. “If you want to be part of what we call a ‘winning culture,’ then you have to be willing to adapt and put in a lot of work to do those things we expect. Ryan has had to focus on other things beyond his obvious speed and skill level, but his willingness to address the different elements of our system speaks to his maturity and desire to contribute.” — Bruins assistant GM Don Sweeney

5. Alexander Khokhlachev, C

Strengths: Impressive hockey skills: stickhandling, creativity/instincts and shot all well above average.

Weaknesses: More quick than fast, he does not possess the blazing speed to separate, but compensates with high hockey IQ.

Projection: Top-six NHL scoring forward with 30-plus goal upside who can play center or wing. “Koko” is a fan favorite for his highlight reel-caliber skills, but he has yet to consistently demonstrate the work ethic and tenacity that the Bruins value. He’s not talented enough to earn a Boston job on talent alone, but is steadily improving. “You don’t want to stifle creativity because it’s very difficult to teach the skill sets players like Koko have. You can work on where to position yourself to be more effective defensively, but when it comes to the kind of style he and guys like Spooner can play naturally, it’s certainly something we value and want to encourage.” — Sweeney

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Thanks for posting the prospect report --- basically what I was trying to get across.  Both smallish, both offensively gifted top six talent.  Both a little weak on D.  Spooner is faster, Koko (sounds) a little tougher and scores more.  Spooner is a center, Koko can go play W/C.

I would say that Spooner's higher rating is a result primarily of him being further along in his development.

To me, just seems that Koko fits the Bruins needs a little better right now, especially since Soderberg is excelling as a center.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

didn't spooner lead the AHL in rookie scoring? I view Koko as a project. I view Spooner as an NHL ready prospect. Also, I don't know what you're reading, but I don't put much stock in a lot of the stuff out there. I've seen both players play. I think Spooner is incredibly far ahead of koko in terms of value, and readiness. Having said that I think Koko has a high ceiling. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Might Koko be more valuable than Spooner?

Might Koko be able to score one measly goal in the NHL?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I have no idea what happened to Koko.  At one time I thought he was a diamond in the rough, but not any more.  Or at least not since I saw him a few times up until about Christmas.  From what I saw he seems to have hit a plateau, and it's a plateau without any upside.

I haven't seen him in a couple of months so things might have changed.  I don't understand it tho, he seemed to have great work ethic with staying after practice and really improving his skating.  I don't understand how that work ethic wouldn't be paying off.

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I have no idea what happened to Koko.  At one time I thought he was a diamond in the rough, but not any more.  Or at least not since I saw him a few times up until about Christmas.  From what I saw he seems to have hit a plateau, and it's a plateau without any upside.

I haven't seen him in a couple of months so things might have changed.  I don't understand it tho, he seemed to have great work ethic with staying after practice and really improving his skating.  I don't understand how that work ethic wouldn't be paying off.

The B's should have traded up to get Kabrill Kavanov.  You know, trade the 15th pick overall and something else to make sure they could get such an amazing talent.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

The B's should have traded up to get Kabrill Kavanov. 

[/QUOTE]

Who's Kabrill ? Kirill's brother.

Looks like a Zdeno/Cedfano spinoff.

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

The B's should have traded up to get Kabrill Kavanov. 

Who's Kabrill ? Kirill's brother.

Looks like a Zdeno/Cedfano spinoff.

Yes.  You're right.  How embarrassing for me.  Getting the spelling wrong of such a common first name of the 65th pick in the 2010 draft that has never played in the NHL.  Oh the shame.  Crap sniping at it's finest.

•  

Yes.  You're right.  How embarrassing for me.  Getting the spelling wrong of such a common first name of the 65th pick in the 2010 draft that has never played in the NHL.  Oh the shame.  Crap sniping at it's finest.

[/QUOTE]

For someone to get the spelling wrong................. they'd have to know how to pronounce it at least. You don't.

A sarcastic post by you that tried to belittle......... at it's finest .........  which then took a wrong turn and went for a zhit.

The B's should have traded up to get Kabrill Kavanov.  You know, trade the 15th pick overall and something else to make sure they could get such an amazing talent.

The Kiril Kabanov dig is Chowda's property.

Kiril is off playing in Sweden.

And he was/is an amazing talent, absolute magician with the puck.  Why he's not applying it, I have no idea.

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

The Kiril Kabanov dig is Chowda's property.

Kiril is off playing in Sweden.

And he was/is an amazing talent, absolute magician with the puck.  Why he's not applying it, I have no idea.

[/QUOTE]

Yes it is.........and my main go-to-dig regarding the (tm).

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Yes it is.........and my main go-to-dig regarding the (tm).

You will see, it's going to take me some time to put together, but I believe I can formulate my prospect stats analysis.  And I will share it with this bulletin board first!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Thats all me. I've said for a while that I like Kelly on my playoff roster. I still do, but Soderberg at center has been much better than I would have ever thought. I do think Kelly on the 4th line and on the PK during the playoffs is a more logical choice than ST.

• Sections
    Shortcuts