Mike Fisher

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: Mike Fisher

I dont think Ottawa will move Fisher unless they decide to be big sellers and i dont think they've quit yet. He would be a good player but at 4.2mil who does he replace? Ryder+Paille? No way ott would do that deal they'd want high picks and prospects if they were indeed selling.

Doesnt seem feasable and Im not sold on the fact that the team needs another 20goal guy and especially not another center. So im going to say nahh to this one. The biggest most important peace is to add a defenseman better than Siedenberg but not as good as chara. AKA the mythological #2 type 2way defender with puck moving capabilities.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I like Mike Fischer, but how come 80% of the suggested additions for the team are centers??

Boston needs another center about as much as my keyboard needs another coffee spill.

The additions Boston needs are 1. a winger with speed that can finish, and 2. a true #2 defensmen.  And I don't really think we've got the cap room to add either one.

I would prefer to acquire Mike Fischer's wife anyhow...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from everyname. Show everyname's posts

Just a point.  Fisher plays wing as well.  There just aren't enough centres on Ottawa at present.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yeah, I think Chia is in a major bind here because he'd have to unload a larger contract somehow to a team with a dire need and that would only seemingly be Thomas, Ryder or obviously Chara.

Chara isn't going anywhere, obviously, and by the looks of it nor is Thomas.

One player they could move that isn't being talked about is Ference.  That contract appears to be a little silly and with people like McQuaid and Boychuk, the emergence of steady players like Stuart and Seidenberg along with Kampfer, maybe they can cut cost by moving Ference?

That would open up some cash and then allow them to be more aggressive for a winger.

I don't see any team taking Ryder's 4 million and pretending he's worth 4 million.

I've said this before here, but Chia backed himself into a corner by overpaying. I can see it with Thomas, but not with Ference or the knee jerk contract for Ryder originally.

This team needs more firepower because they have the D and goaltending.

Also, we have to hope Savard continues to improve, because his presence alone both with even strength and on the PP makes an inconsistent Ryder or Horton more lethal.

Lucic too.

But, wing is the need, in my opinion.   Maybe Wheeler gets moved and a more experienced, underachieving goal scorer is available.

Too bad Prospal is on Philly. He'd be perfect, but no way Philly deals him to Boston.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Acquiring anyone at the deadline wont be easy this season.  There are 25 teams that still are in the playoff hunt, most of whom will be buyers looking to improve as well, and only 5 teams that realistically have no shot at the playoffs who would  be defenite sellers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, maybe he occasionally takes shifts at wing, but he is a center on that team and has been for a long time.  For most of this year he has been the #1 center.

Further his value is as a center.  He is good defensively at that position and is a good face-off guy.  I like him a lot as a player, but Boston would have to give up a lot to get him, and then would be moving him to a new position...no thanks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I completely agree.  However, if there was ever a year to move a younger player on the roster like a Wheeler and  use a high draft pick to add that special niche piece, this is it.

Let's not kid ourselves.

This team has been knocking on the door to dance into a Conf Final 2 years in a row and Chia has either been handicapped with finances due to the cap and his allocation of funds or hasn't had the stones to do it.

Maybe a Wheeler and a 2nd rd draft pick gets you that winger they need.

Is Corey Stillman or Ray Whitney available? SOmeone like that.   This is worth the one year rental when you pretty much know you have the goaltending, the D and the PK.

You just need sniper/wing upgrades and a PP upgrade.

Ference makes 2.25.  Stillman makes 3.5.

Wheeler makes 2.2.   Deal Wheeler to Florida for Stillman.

Deal Ference to a team that needs an upgrade from their defensive spot.

Stillman Savard Horton
    Lucic Kreicji Ryder
    Recchi Bergeron Marchand
    Thornton Campbell Seguin

Chara/Boychuk
    Seidenberg/Kampfer
    Stuart/McQuaid

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from everyname. Show everyname's posts

Being on a possible Cup winner should be more important than playing centre, or wing?  But then again, maybe not. 

Obviously we have alot of talent at centre, and given Fishers personality, I doubt he would have a problem playing wing for a couple months (and even centre if the injury bug hits others).

In my opinion, moveable players; Wheeler (lots of interest), Ference.

Heck, I would even consider trading away our first round pick from Toronto (and this would be valueable to Ottawa because they are rebuilding), considering the high amount of young talent we already have. 

Note: I want to say that I really appreciate the quality, respectful, discussion here.  It's refreshing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Fisher:
    [QUOTE]I completely agree.  However, if there was ever a year to move a younger player on the roster like a Wheeler and  use a high draft pick to add that special niche piece, this is it. Let's not kid ourselves. This team has been knocking on the door to dance into a Conf Final 2 years in a row and Chia has either been handicapped with finances due to the cap and his allocation of funds or hasn't had the stones to do it. Maybe a Wheeler and a 2nd rd draft pick gets you that winger they need. Is Corey Stillman or Ray Whitney available? SOmeone like that.   This is worth the one year rental when you pretty much know you have the goaltending, the D and the PK. You just need sniper/wing upgrades and a PP upgrade. Ference makes 2.25.  Stillman makes 3.5. Wheeler makes 2.2.   Deal Wheeler to Florida for Stillman. Deal Ference to a team that needs an upgrade from their defensive spot. Stillman Savard Horton Lucic Kreicji Ryder Recchi Bergeron Marchand Thornton Campbell Seguin Chara/Boychuk Seidenberg/Kampfer Stuart/McQuaid
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I would be against moving Ference as he is a strong piece of the defensive corps here and any move that weakens the depth there for the playoffs is not a good one, IMO. 

If you were to move Wheeler for Stillman (still not certain that Stillman is better than Wheeler) than make up the other million by dumping Paille.

Having 7 NHL defensmen on the roster is a great thing for the playoffs.  You know someone will get injured.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I don't necessarily disagree. It's a risk, but I think it's a risk you have to take at this point.

That's sort of my argument, really. Being conservative at the deadline has gotten this organization absolutely nowhere.

And the only reason why Jacobs took on Gonchar and Nylander's contract in the spring of 2004 was to attempt to show he was trying to win before his lockout. Each player's contracts were expiring. So, that doesn't count.

This team needs a Brian Propp or Bobby Carpenter type winger, circa 1989, move to boost the offense.

I think Ference is a solid veteran, but that is also how I would describe McQuaid.

Apparently, we disagree on Cory Stillman's veteran experience and upside as a two way winger and PP presence.

You slap someone like him next to Savard and watch the pucks roll in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from everyname. Show everyname's posts

Maybe we could "rent" Fisher for the rest of the season, and only pay a portion of his contract?

Just a thought.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If Brian Murray entertains offers for Fisher Chiarelli should make the neccasary moves to get him he's a finisher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from everyname. Show everyname's posts

Very true SanDog.

I should also state that, by no means (in my previous post) did I want it to sound like neither Wheeler, or Ference, are valueable assets to this team.  They are.  I just can't help but think Fisher is just what this team needs.

Tough loss to the Sabres, but, oh well, you can't win them all.  Get'em next time. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from everyname. Show everyname's posts

If Savard is out, and with the Sens going nowhere fast this year, maybe a move for Mike Fisher is move appealing now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

The Bruins are not going to make a major trade before the end of the season. Period. The Bruins are not going to trade away young prospects for a rental. It's not going to happen. I could see if the Bruins had a plethora of young talent that wouldn't be able to make the NHL club, but they don't. No one is going to take Zach Hamil and a second round pick for a top player and the Bruins aren't trading away their young talent for a rental. The Toronto pick is also not going anywhere.

This isn't the old NHL where teams dump high priced players at the end of the season to contenders anymore as no one has the salary cap room. No major trades are happening, especially within the division.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I absolutely love Fisher and I get all the Sens games as well and he is probably one of my favorite players in the league.  He hits, scores, fights(on occasion) and always gives an honest effort. 
    The Sens are looking to rebuild.  They need dmen as well and this is where Stuart may come into play.  I think the Sens would be hesitant to deal with the Bruins.  But if the right pkg was offered I think we make ideal trade partners with them.
    How about Stuart/Wheeler/Ryder 1st round pick(Leafs or Bruins) for Phillips/Fisher(Bruins are said to have strong interest in Phillips). We may need to add more.  Ottawa is gonna lose Phillips regardless and can use Stuart to replace him.  Ryder contract expires anyway.  They land Wheeler who does hold value and they also get a 1st rounder. 

Phillips is a top shut down guy...and Fisher although a center would be a very healthy addition.  Money wise Phiilps/Fisher approx 8 Million.  Stuart/Ryder/Wheeler approx 8 mil.

Can I please have support to be an assist GM.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from everyname. Show everyname's posts

Do you want to win a cup, or wait another 50 years?

Fisher is not just some middle-of-the-road player.  His addition to this team, in my opinion, would definitely increase the chances of winning the cup this year. 

I am getting sick of saying maybe next year.  I have a hard time believing that there will be a better time than now to get a cup. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

everyname,

I am in agreement that adding Fisher would be massive and he just seems like he would look great in a Bruin uniform.  He adds a lot and can shut down other teams top lines as well.  Something we may need if Savy is done.  If there are no wingers available he would be the 1st guy I would want as a fwd.  He may be the 1st guy regardless. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe we could "rent" Fisher for the rest of the season, and only pay a portion of his contract? Just a thought.
    Posted by everyname[/QUOTE]

The CBA specifically doesn't allow any team to trade money or pay parts of contracts, only players.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

[QUOTE]Having 7 NHL defensmen on the roster is a great thing for the playoffs.  You know someone will get injured.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Having 8 NHL D is a great thing for the playoffs, having 7 is practically mandatory.  I just don't get all this talk of trading our "extra" defenseman.  We have no extra D, If any of them are traded, it will be for another defenseman.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

I like the idea of aquiring Mike Fisher and have been thinking that we need a physical center to complement 2-way Bergeron and playmaking Krejci/Savard (I think we should unload 1 of the 2 at some point, maybe next year, Savard being my preference).  But then, should we just wait for Colborne to develop?

As far as picking him up for a cup run this year, thats sounds good to me, especially if it turns out Savard is out for the year,  which would all but solve the cap issues involved.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Eric,

I think with everything that is going around this year ie(injuries to stars like Crosby/Malkin) and teams like Washington playing below par we should make a splash and take a run at the cup this year.
    Imagine adding Fisher and Phillips to this group.  Both can produce and are very good 2 way players.  Phillips takes on the role of shut down guy freeing up Chara.  Fisher is the hammer and nail center we don't have.  

We won't win with this group right now. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

shuperman -

Your idea here has merrit for sure. Everyone who says ryder and his 4mil contract doesnt have a value just doesnt understand how a cap league works and the fact that expiring contracts allways have a high value in that structure to rebuilding teams.

If ottawa is looking to rebuild ( and they certainly should be ) then adding wheeler, stuart, 4mil in cap space next year - ryder, and a 1st round draft pick for basicaly fisher off thier sqaud next season. The 4 mil alone allows them to replace fisher with a = level talent in free agency.

Ottawa would be crazy not to make this trade and i agree it would help the bruins with a good run this spring.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

Shupe,
    I disagree about the B's chances as the team stands.  I think they have a lot of players that step it up in the playoffs, depth at all positions, and a system that works well.  I dont think they are favorites, but i give them a legitimate chance.

As far as adding players, especially a physical center, I'm all for it.  To me it's a matter of fitting them under the cap without weakening the team in another area (the players we would have to give up).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Eric,

Which players step it up for the record.  Just so I know.  I know Lucic and Recchi played well as well as Krejci before he went down.  But what about all the duds that filter this roster.  There are a lot more no shows than keepers. 

I love the Bruins.  I just don't love the Bruins roster as it stands.  Very weak on the PP which is crucial in the playoffs.  We have a good group of Dmen but outside Chara who do you rely on.  I mean seriously rely on in the crunch.  You see what Philly did with 4 above avg. dmen who can log lots of minutes.

I just don't see this team with the killer mentality.  The last 2 yrs have been terrible in terms of our exit from the playoffs.  I give any team playing the Bruins a legit chance.  Why? for the same reason as the last 2 yrs.  Teams keep it close and then out will the Bruins.  And we rely too heavily on Chara.  The fact Savy is out doesnt help either.  Horton, Ryder, Wheeler? Where are our sure things.  Where is our top 4 dmen.  It doesnt compare with teams that are gonna make a run.
    Philly- has the best 6 dmen in the league, 3 lines that can score. a solid PP, physical a great captain/assist captain and now experience. Go to players as well.
    Pitt- great top 4 dmen, experience, two of the best players in the world and a goalie that when on is amazing.
    Wash- weak in goal and the blue line but in a short series Ovie can dominate.
    Tampa- found a goalie, have 2 deadly scoring lines, a wicked PP and play a 1-3-1 system that would frustrate.

I wouldnt wanna play any of these teams.  Yes we have the best goalie of the group but we don't have the extra elements these team have. 

I think the Bruins can be shut down as is evident in the last 2 yrs by team that they should have beat.  Hopefully we have learned our lesson.  But I just don't see the same team you do. 

Sections
Shortcuts