Mike Gillis, the Problem... and Mike Gillis' problem?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Mike Gillis, the Problem... and Mike Gillis' problem?

I don't post here much - pls. forgive whatever ground I may be recovering.  I have known a fair # of professional athletes and been around MLB and NFL teams time to time. 

This echoes something I posted in another thread, but after posting that, I found this:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stanleycup/story/2011/06/17/sp-canucks-gillis-improvements.html

Rarely have I seen a GM seem so out of his depth as Mike Gillis.  His attitude of "we should have won" ... is basically a losers' attitude.  The Canucks are fortunate to have players with skill sets as good as the Sedins, Luongo and others.

Their talents will continue to be wasted until someone in that organization mans up and says "the team that plays the best wins."  And yet here is Gillis talking about "another era of hockey" .... and most here are probably familiar with his other quotes about how he considers the Canucks superior to the Bruins in every way.

I'm convinced that the Canucks REAL problem is Mike Gillis.  Organizations get their culture from their leadership, and he has set a tone of whining, of a sense of entitlement (what do you think Phil Jackson would say about THAT?), of blame.  It's impossible to think of Scotty Bowman saying the things Mike Gillis does.  He ought to think on that, hard.

I actually feel bad for some of the Canuck players, because they need a strong administration to step up to them and say "boys, it wasn't good enough.  We know how much you did, and it was a fine effort, but we're not there yet.  Let us show you what else we need to do."

Until their players get that guidance, they will never maximize their potential and become champs. 

And at this point, it's impossible not to see Gillis' antics as intense sour grapes.  I'm not going to pose as an NHL insider at all - anyone have any idea what happened there?  Last time I heard of him, he was a journeyman defenseman for the B's, not especially dissed by the fans or team?

Maybe he had a bitter parting with the B's front office?

Other than Gillis' general problem of not having a winning make-up, does anyone know specifically what his problem with the Bruins is?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Re: Mike Gillis, the Problem... and Mike Gillis' problem?

didn't take time to read article but saw Gillis say the other day that the better team won....

maybe his problem with the B'S stems from when he was an agent and had to deal with a stingy organization?....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Normally I keep a pretty rational perspective on things, but the entire organization should be ashamed. From the owner humiliating himself with a profanity-laced tirade to reporters, to Pump My Tires, to the biting incident (to say nothing of the social issue-relevant riots), the Canucks embarassed themselves. Awful, awful display.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Gillis started whining about the refereeing in the 1st round of the play-offs with his bs about percentage of penalty calls for each team when the game was close and continued through the finals.  His team followed suit by diving, head-snapping and whining and the refs got sick of it.  Bottom line anybody who has been involved in hockey knows that less penalties are called and the hockey gets tougher as you get closer to the Stanley Cup.  I do think however that the refs started to call less penalties against the Canucks because they were sick of being embrassed by Vancouver's acting.  Gillis did a poor job of leading his team and he is still whining and he still doesn't get it.  I hope he never gets it because I don't want to see a team led by him to win the Cup.  Every other team that has won the Cup has battled through the time of year when there are less penalty calls to get their name on the Cup but Mike Gillis wants the game to change just for his team.  Hey Mike what makes you think you are so special?  Enjoy your off-season because it is going to be one of many long off-seasons if you continue to blame reffing and don't look at yourself in the mirror.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I was reading the articles in the Vancouver paper.  Gillis was asked if the team needed to change, based on the way the matchup with Boston turned out, insinuating they werent tough enough.

Gillis said the team was built for "this years rulebook" and that the officiating was from a "different era" in the Final and different from earlier in the playoffs.  He said he didnt intend to change the makeup of the team because of one matchup and was satisfied with the way the team played the other 98 % of the year.

I think his points were not unreasonable, except the whiny tone of it.  Some Vancouver writers said no matter what the refs did, the fact a little guy like Marchard got away with punching Sedin over and over said more about V's failure to respond than the refs.

Gillis also did not mention that their PP was completely gutless the whole series, so Im not sure what they hoped to accomplish.  I didnt hear Gillis comment on Chara getting run from behind after the play in Game 7.  I guess that was OK.

By the way, anyone hear the HNIC feed of Game 7? The entire game was crying about the officials.  Unbelievable.  I couldnt believe it was the same game I watched on NBC.

Personally, I dont see this as a problem of Gillis.  I think Gillis needs to provide Vaignaut with a couple hard-nosed character guys instead of the Lapierre softies.  Then its on the coach to tell his team what is acceptable behavior.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

There's officiating like not calling Marchand for roughing and then there's officiating like not calling a penalty shot or even even a penalty when a guy has a breakaway or something.

Yes, there were blown calls, but I wouldn't call them significant.

And actually I don't see how the refs played much of a part in this series at all.  In the games the Bruins won the score wasn't even close at all.  And in each of the Bruins losses it was only by a goal.

So my point is: in a 7 game series when the winning teams wins significantly when they win and loses by 1 goal in each loss - how can the reffing be a factor?

It's not as if enough penalties could have been called in the Canucks losses to make a difference.  2 goals could have been given to the Canucks in each game they lost without it making a difference in the W & L columns.

With 20/20 hindsight, this series wasn't even close.

Also - in most playoff series with the parity there is in the league, *typicall* if they played 6 more games it would have continued to split the series.  But not in this series, if they played 6 more games the Bruins most likely would have won all 6.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wil39. Show wil39's posts

Mr. Gillis, the Boston Bruins man-handled your Vancouver Canucks, and won the Stanley Cup. Your team whined (just like you); too many times your team tried to draw calls by embellishing. 

Raffi Torres took runs at players every time he's on the ice. Alex Burrows was a coward. Max Lapierre was gutless, unless he is hitting from behind or the whistle had blown. The Sedin twins disappeared. Kesler had heart, but he was hurt. Your starting goalie proved to be mentally weak and leaky. Two of your better defenseman took themselves out of the series; one while throwing a low hip on Lucic, and the other throwing a late hit that KOd Horton and fortified the Bruins.

Your high octane offense scored exactly 8 goals in 7 games. Your vaunted Power-play was SHUT-DOWN.

You have far more issues to deal with then the refs. Have a nice summer. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Gillis, the Problem... and Mike Gillis' problem?:
    [QUOTE]Mr. Gillis, the Boston Bruins man-handled your Vancouver Canucks, and won the Stanley Cup. Your team whined (just like you); too many times your team tried to draw calls by embellishing.  Raffi Torres took runs at players every time he's on the ice. Alex Burrows was a coward. Max Lapierre was gutless, unless he is hitting from behind or the whistle had blown. The Sedin twins disappeared. Kesler had heart, but he was hurt. Your starting goalie proved to be mentally weak and leaky. Two of your better defenseman took themselves out of the series; one while throwing a low hip on Lucic, and the other throwing a late hit that KOd Horton and fortified the Bruins. Your high octane offense scored exactly 8 goals in 7 games. Your vaunted Power-play was SHUT-DOWN. You have far more issues to deal with then the refs. Have a nice summer. 
    Posted by wil39[/QUOTE]
    Not to mention his so called toughest d-man Bieksa did nothing  to help in the face of mounting physical challeges. Not once did he attempt to drop his gloves or come to the defence of Thelma and Louise. The only whining Mr.Tomato face should be doing is about his own teams lack of intestinal fortitude of which it had none.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The post-lockout NHL did not ban rough stuff, it banned interference and hooking/holding calls.  The Bruins did not do any of that, in fact the Canucks did the worst interference in the series.  Hockey history is full of talented players who were too wimpy or mentally weak to get the job done in the year-end tournament. It's full of teams that failed because they lacked character and cohesion.  The Canucks are one of those teams that are full of those players.  Luongo is entitled, Kesler is arrogant and whiney and the Sedins are whimps.  They are a talented team, but not built to be a champion.  They are also not as talented as they like to believe.  There are 5 teams in the East with similar talent.  The Canucks just play in the league's weakest division and get padded stats and standings.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

[QUOTE]The post-lockout NHL did not ban rough stuff, it banned interference and hooking/holding calls.  The Bruins did not do any of that, in fact the Canucks did the worst interference in the series.  Hockey history is full of talented players who were too wimpy or mentally weak to get the job done in the year-end tournament. It's full of teams that failed because they lacked character and cohesion.  The Canucks are one of those teams that are full of those players.  Luongo is entitled, Kesler is arrogant and whiney and the Sedins are whimps.  They are a talented team, but not built to be a champion.  They are also not as talented as they like to believe.  There are 5 teams in the East with similar talent.  The Canucks just play in the league's weakest division and get padded stats and standings.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Another great post OatesCam. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Another player then agent singed by Harry. Bitterness almost carried longer than Esposito but getting close. Maybe he should follow Not Wild about Harry's advice on how to get over a loss...

"Two scotches and some Aspirin"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]The post-lockout NHL did not ban rough stuff, it banned interference and hooking/holding calls.  The Bruins did not do any of that, in fact the Canucks did the worst interference in the series.  Hockey history is full of talented players who were too wimpy or mentally weak to get the job done in the year-end tournament. It's full of teams that failed because they lacked character and cohesion.  The Canucks are one of those teams that are full of those players.  Luongo is entitled, Kesler is arrogant and whiney and the Sedins are whimps.  They are a talented team, but not built to be a champion.  They are also not as talented as they like to believe.  There are 5 teams in the East with similar talent.  The Canucks just play in the league's weakest division and get padded stats and standings.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I agree to a point, except about Kesler.  I think he flat-out didn't look like he belonged with that Vancouver team.  He hustled, never quit in Game 7 when he was clearly injured and left his heart on the ice when it was over.  I'd be thrilled to have him in black and gold.  I'd take Maholtra, too.

By the way, other than the phantom hooking calls, I would argue the post lockout rules were just bumped up to the level of calling interference and holding properly as they are written as opposed to simply ignoring them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Gillis, the Problem... and Mike Gillis' problem? : I agree to a point, except about Kesler.  I think he flat-out didn't look like he belonged with that Vancouver team.  He hustled, never quit in Game 7 when he was clearly injured and left his heart on the ice when it was over.  I'd be thrilled to have him in black and gold.  I'd take Maholtra, too. By the way, other than the phantom hooking calls, I would argue the post lockout rules were just bumped up to the level of calling interference and holding properly as they are written as opposed to simply ignoring them.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

I love the way Kesler plays and he has stopped most of the yapping, but now he has to stop the whining, head snaps and hand gestures.  He is a great talent but he still is arrogant and does he ever look like he has fun playing the game?  Ryan you are a great player playing for lots of money.  You might want to try being a little less uptight!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Gillis, the Problem... and Mike Gillis' problem? : I love the way Kesler plays and he has stopped most of the yapping, but now he has to stop the whining, head snaps and hand gestures.  He is a great talent but he still is arrogant and does he ever look like he has fun playing the game?  Ryan you are a great player playing for lots of money.  You might want to try being a little less uptight!!
    Posted by huntbri[/QUOTE]

You are right, but maybe it's the atmosphere he plays in... that stuff is acceptable in Vancouver. He's made the leap from being an agitator to a goal-scorer.  Maybe if he played for Claude, he would be told the diving and cheap stuff is unacceptable.  Could be a Belicheck influence?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

" but maybe it's the atmosphere he plays in... that stuff is acceptable in Vancouver."

Ding, ding, ding.  We have a winner.

Which is what the Canucks will never, ever  be under Mike Gillis.  Promise.

Sections
Shortcuts