Mike Millbury on Ovechkin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Mike Millbury on Ovechkin

It's not often that I agree 100% with Millbury, but this is one of those cases 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicwKSikBeM

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Mike Millbury on Ovechkin

He backed up every one of his statements with video footage.  Irrefutable! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Roenick must text Kieth Jones all the time "Having fun yet ?".  That was absolutely terrible and Leonis, not Oates, should be the one to do something. Package that d00fis and rebuild with the picks n prospects.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

He backed up every one of his statements with video footage.  Irrefutable! 

and when I saw him embellishing my first thought was ,  and Shot complained about Seguin and Bergeron.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Roenick must text Kieth Jones all the time "Having fun yet ?".  That was absolutely terrible and Leonis, not Oates, should be the one to do something. Package that d00fis and rebuild with the picks n prospects.

problem who wants a cap hit of 9M till 2021 ???? ouch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

No one is going to take on that contract....no one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Milbury might not always be right but on that clip he nailed it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

No one is going to take on that contract....no one.

lets be real, someone would take that contract. In fact, I can think of a few teams that like the big name, however there are two problems. From a hockey standpoint, it absolutely makes sense for them to trade ovechkin, from a business standpoint I doubt it does. The second problem is that you aren't going to get a ton for him right now. His value, as determined by his production and his contract is at an all time low. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

New Jersey is doing pretty well with lazy Kovalchuk and his reeeeetarded contract.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

the new CBA should have a had a clause saying Russians cannot have contracts longer than 4 years

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

New Jersey is doing pretty well with lazy Kovalchuk and his reeeeetarded contract.

Kovalchuk does not make $10million a year. That's a hell of a cap hit for one player...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Kovalchuk does not make $10million a year. That's a hell of a cap hit for one player...

You are correct.  He's making $11.3M this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

You are correct.  He's making $11.3M this year.

But a cap hit of $6.667 million due to his front loaded contract. Ovechkins cap hit is $9.538 million. Again, having almost one sixth of your cap space tied up in one player for next year is not enticing to too many teams

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

But a cap hit of $6.667 million due to his front loaded contract. Ovechkins cap hit is $9.538 million. Again, having almost one six of your cap space tied up in one player for next year is not enticing to too many teams

And 26 of 30 teams currently have over $3M in cap space. 

I don't think the contract would hold teams back nearly as much as the asking price.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

And 26 of 30 teams currently have over $3M in cap space. 

I don't think the contract would hold teams back nearly as much as the asking price.

Considering the cap is being reduced by roughly $6million next season it is likely that most teams would have to clear some additional salary off before adding another $9 million and change for one player. This, plus a big asking price as you suggest, would probably scare off most teams for sure....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

it's not just that he has a hefty cap hit, he has a hefty cap hit until 2021. 8 more years of that 9.5 cap hit and paying 10 million a year is a lot to take on when the guys scoring totals have gone down every year since 2008 i believe

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

the new CBA should have a had a clause saying Russians cannot have contracts longer than 4 years

What is that supposed to mean ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

It means that Russian players get complacent.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

They owe him $80M over the next 8 years (well, $79M).  If they used an amnesty buy-out on him, they'd owe him about $53M over...16 years?  or 12?  But he'd be off the cap.  In theory, they could then re-sign him for $27M over 9 years and make his cap hit $3M, in which case, he's a steal!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

and that's a funny clip - Milbury looks like he's going to have an aneurism.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

They owe him $80M over the next 8 years (well, $79M).  If they used an amnesty buy-out on him, they'd owe him about $53M over...16 years?  or 12?  But he'd be off the cap.  In theory, they could then re-sign him for $27M over 9 years and make his cap hit $3M, in which case, he's a steal!

I've thought about teams doing that. teams that have great relationships with players. Like what if the bruins used an amnesty buyout (i believe in the amnesty buyouts the players get all but 900K a year? but i could be way off) with Chara and then re-signed him for the same length contract for 2-3 million so chara actually gets more but his cap hit is way down. My guess however is that it would instantly be nixed for cap circumvention 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

I've thought about teams doing that. teams that have great relationships with players. Like what if the bruins used an amnesty buyout (i believe in the amnesty buyouts the players get all but 900K a year? but i could be way off) with Chara and then re-signed him for the same length contract for 2-3 million so chara actually gets more but his cap hit is way down. My guess however is that it would instantly be nixed for cap circumvention 

Oh, it definitely would. While the Thomas trade actually found loopholes and conditional draft picks suggesting that Thomas might play, there would be no getting around this one.

I don't see any teams taking a flyer on him. He doesn't have the fire anymore, and he doesn't seem to have a winner's attitude. When Hunter tried to implement a defensive system last year, he shut down and wanted nothing to do with it. Had he bought in, they would have done very well; they were playing well minus their all-world player tanking it and becoming nothing better than an above average offensive player who contributed nothing defensively, all while eating up 1/7 of the cap.

What are the rules in hockey for re-structuring contracts to work around the cap, anyway? Are there any ways for players to basically do what Brady did?