Mike O'Connell Interview Revelations on SportsHub

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Mike O'Connell Interview Revelations on SportsHub

1. He realized that Joe Thornton would not lead the team to a Cup, decided to trade him and build the team around Patrice Bergeron.

2. 1997 Entry draft - the scouting staff wanted to take Marian Hossa with the eighth pick, but he overruled and took Sergei Samsonov. He regrets the pick and stayed out of the way of the scouting decisions thereafter.

3. 2006 Entry draft - went according to plan laid out before he was let go in March. 1- Phil Kessel, 2- Milan Lucic, 3- Brad Marchand.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: Mike O'Connell Interview Revelations on SportsHub

#2 Hurts.

But I cant imagine this team with out Bergy, Lucic and now Marchand. So good job MC ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Mike O'Connell Interview Revelations on SportsHub:
    [QUOTE]1. He realized that Joe Thornton would not lead the team to a Cup, decided to trade him and build the team around Patrice Bergeron. 2. 1997 Entry draft - the scouting staff wanted to take Marian Hossa with the eighth pick, but he overruled and took Sergei Samsonov. He regrets the pick and stayed out of the way of the scouting decisions thereafter. 3. 2006 Entry draft - went according to plan laid out before he was let go in March. 1- Phil Kessel, 2- Milan Lucic, 3- Brad Marchand.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with him on #1, but he shouldn't have traded Jumbo Joe for a group of 2nd/3rd tier players (Sturm, Stuart, Primeau).  Bad deal by him, no matter how you slice it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think #1 and #3 outweigh #2, by a healthy margin.  That said, there were a number of other mistakes, not mentioned.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Mike O'Connell Interview Revelations on SportsHub:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Mike O'Connell Interview Revelations on SportsHub : I don't disagree with him on #1, but he shouldn't have traded Jumbo Joe for a group of 2nd/3rd tier players (Sturm, Stuart, Primeau).  Bad deal by him, no matter how you slice it.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Especially true after hearing that he really only negotiated with one team when there were surely many that were interested in Thornton.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike O'Connell Interview Revelations on SportsHub : Agreed.  Especially true after hearing that he really only negotiated with one team when there were surely many that were interested in Thornton.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Might also be worth calling "BS" on building around Bergeron.

2005-06 through 23 games:
    Thornton: 9-24-33
    Bergeron: 6-8-14

2004-05 (Strike)
    Thornton w/Davos: 40gp 10-44-54
    Bergeron w/ Providence: 68gp 21-40-61

2003-04:
    Thornton: 77gp 23-50-73
    Bergeron: 71gp 16-23-39 

Had Bergeron done enough at this point in his career to lead to the conclusion that it makes sense to trade your best player?  Sounds great now, because of the player Bergeron has become, not so sure OC had that all figured out in 2005.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike O'Connell Interview Revelations on SportsHub : Might also be worth calling "BS" on building around Bergeron. 2005-06 through 23 games: Thornton: 9-24-33 Bergeron: 6-8-14 2004-05 (Strike) Thornton w/Davos: 40gp 10-44-54 Bergeron w/ Providence: 68gp 21-40-61 2003-04: Thornton: 77gp 23-50-73 Bergeron: 71gp 16-23-39  Had Bergeron done enough at this point in his career to lead to the conclusion that it makes sense to trade your best player?  Sounds great now, because of the player Bergeron has become, not so sure OC had that all figured out in 2005.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Agreed again.  I don't recall Bergeron being put on that mantle.  OC certainly indicated that the Bruins needed to build around somebody else than Thornton, but I don't remember Bergeron being tabbed as the guy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjhernon. Show mjhernon's posts

Chia has done a great job in the trade department except the bochenski versteeg trade and the kaberle trade (which I dont blame him for doing). 

The place that Chia has not proven himself is in the draft. His first first round pick, zach hammill, appears to be a total bust. 
    I am looking for him to improve in tha dept soon or start making changes with his scouting dept.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think it was Bookboy that brought to light that other GMs should have known that Thornton was on the market by doing some homework. Having said that MOC knows he should have shopped Jumbo for a better offer no matter what he thought of Joe's leadership.

Great job during the 2006 draft best Bruins draft in a longtime and since.

Some of the unmentionables by Fletch i'll add for him LaPointe 5Mil a year and the greatest 24 game Bruin ever Alexi Zhamnov 1 goal, minus -4 at the low, low price of 12Mil...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Hindsight "look how smart I am".  Wow. 
    For many years it looked like Joe was going to lead his team to a cup long before Bergy.  Now that it reversed itself, he's a genius for doing it.  The 2006 draft went according to the scouting departments recommendations.  I can't stand this guy.  (could you tell?)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I thought it was a bit disingenuous for O'Connell to use the fact that the B's won the Stanley Cup as proof (or justification) that making the Thornton trade was necessary.  Am I wrong that O'Connell was, in large part, shown the door for that lopsided trade, which felt like a knife in the gut after Joe won the Hart Trophy in San Jose?  Now he can conveniently say that the team was going nowhere with Joe Thornton as its best player?  Maybe so, but he still made a bad trade. 

O'Connell did some good things and some bad things as GM.  His biggest blunder was getting a poor return on the Thornton trade.  To revisit the whole thing 6 years later after the B's won the cup reflects poorly on him, in my opinion.       

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

O'Connell is an idiot - then and now!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I always wondered why a reasonably good defenseman was expected to become a brilliant GM. The Hamills and Bochenski's and whatever were just part of the lack of leadership from the coach on down. Didn't they bring in Tery O'Rielly to create some energy and pizzazzz?? which never really happened. As much as we have criticized Claude, and I am one of the very vocal critics, he has established stability and accountability. I am also reminded of Peter's comment that he sought "character" in all of his moves.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Every G.M makes mistakes. For every 2 or 3 good moves theres a bad one on evey G.M's resume, from Belichick to Epstein to Brian Cashman. To me like it has been posted the Thornton trade was his downfall. it certainly didnt help when other G.M's went on record stating how they never knew he was made available and would have given up much more to aquire Thornton.
    As far as the Samsonov/Hossa pick, before the WJC leading up to the draft Samsonov was the consensus #1 pick ahead of Thornton,Marleau..I loved the pick at the time and even went to the WJC at the Fleetcenter leading up to it. His stock dove after that but it was fun to watch him. According to the scouts he performed poorly but you could see the talent. I remember a kid named Daniel Tkaczuck and how impressive he was and he didnt' turn into anything..
    Lost in all of this, is the fact that he signed Tim Thomas. In fact some will say it was that 3 year deal that was the nail in his coffin, not sure if i beleive that, but people did say it at the time..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from glorybe. Show glorybe's posts

O'Connell might have had some blunders, but he alone signed Tim Thomas to a 3-year deal months before he was canned that year.

He obviously saw something most never at that time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think the right way to say this is that O'Connell was fired because the team he had assembled was, in the wake of the Thornton trade, devoid of talent, leadership, and prospects. 

There were very few exceptions, Bergeron being one.  Boyes had a breakout year, Sturm played well on Bergeron's line, and Mark Stuart started to look like he might belong. 

Beyond that, Murray was an aging sniper who'd lost his set-up man, Ax was Ax, and Samsonov's time was up.  now look at the rest of that lineup.  37 year olds Leetch and Fitzgerald.  36 year old McEachern.  Slegr, Green, Moran, Jerkoffski, all over 30 and bit players on any decent team.  Pluggersville revisited with Scatchard, Primeau, LaCouture, Gill.  Then a huge list of failed "prospects" and retreads.  Pat Leahy played 43 games for them for jeebus sake.  Up front you had Isbister, Reasoner, Nickulas, Stastny, Langfeld.  On D, it was a scary mix of Dallman, Alberts, Tanabe, Jurcina, and Brad Stuart.  It was a dire team, a scarily bad team with little prospect of a quick return to glory under existing management.

The only Bruin team that was harder to watch was the team at the tail end of 96-97.  Now that was a team that showed just how moribund the franchise had become in terms of developing talent in house.  Teeeeeeeerible.  They'd had maybe, maybe five drafts you could call successful between drafting Bourque in 79 and drafting Thornton in 97. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

"More days in first place...."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

It is a amazing how fast you forget these bad, bad teams, and move on. They really were terrible. 
    I remember the day he traded Thorton. We had a dart board at the club, and I threw my Bruins flights out. I was so pissed off. After a few days, and kind of thinking about it some more, I got more angry. For all the good deal the B's have made, such as Cam Neely trade, they all went out the window on that one. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

[QUOTE]I think the right way to say this is that O'Connell was fired because the team he had assembled was, in the wake of the Thornton trade, devoid of talent, leadership, and prospects.  There were very few exceptions, Bergeron being one.  Boyes had a breakout year, Sturm played well on Bergeron's line, and Mark Stuart started to look like he might belong.  Beyond that, Murray was an aging sniper who'd lost his set-up man, Ax was Ax, and Samsonov's time was up.  now look at the rest of that lineup.  37 year olds Leetch and Fitzgerald.  36 year old McEachern.  Slegr, Green, Moran, Jerkoffski, all over 30 and bit players on any decent team.  Pluggersville revisited with Scatchard, Primeau, LaCouture, Gill.  Then a huge list of failed "prospects" and retreads.  Pat Leahy played 43 games for them for jeebus sake.  Up front you had Isbister, Reasoner, Nickulas, Stastny, Langfeld.  On D, it was a scary mix of Dallman, Alberts, Tanabe, Jurcina, and Brad Stuart.  It was a dire team, a scarily bad team with little prospect of a quick return to glory under existing management. The only Bruin team that was harder to watch was the team at the tail end of 96-97.  Now that was a team that showed just how moribund the franchise had become in terms of developing talent in house.  Teeeeeeeerible.  They'd had maybe, maybe five drafts you could call successful between drafting Bourque in 79 and drafting Thornton in 97. 
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    These indeed were dark days for Bruin fans

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I think the right way to say this is that O'Connell was fired because the team he had assembled was, in the wake of the Thornton trade, devoid of talent, leadership, and prospects.  There were very few exceptions, Bergeron being one.  Boyes had a breakout year, Sturm played well on Bergeron's line, and Mark Stuart started to look like he might belong.  Beyond that, Murray was an aging sniper who'd lost his set-up man, Ax was Ax, and Samsonov's time was up.  now look at the rest of that lineup.  37 year olds Leetch and Fitzgerald.  36 year old McEachern.  Slegr, Green, Moran, Jerkoffski, all over 30 and bit players on any decent team.  Pluggersville revisited with Scatchard, Primeau, LaCouture, Gill.  Then a huge list of failed "prospects" and retreads.  Pat Leahy played 43 games for them for jeebus sake.  Up front you had Isbister, Reasoner, Nickulas, Stastny, Langfeld.  On D, it was a scary mix of Dallman, Alberts, Tanabe, Jurcina, and Brad Stuart.  It was a dire team, a scarily bad team with little prospect of a quick return to glory under existing management. The only Bruin team that was harder to watch was the team at the tail end of 96-97.  Now that was a team that showed just how moribund the franchise had become in terms of developing talent in house.  Teeeeeeeerible.  They'd had maybe, maybe five drafts you could call successful between drafting Bourque in 79 and drafting Thornton in 97. 
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Back to that 2005-6 team, the only survivors today are TT and Bergeron.

Samsonov for Marty Reasoner? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I thought it was a bit disingenuous for O'Connell to use the fact that the B's won the Stanley Cup as proof (or justification) that making the Thornton trade was necessary.  Am I wrong that O'Connell was, in large part, shown the door for that lopsided trade, which felt like a knife in the gut after Joe won the Hart Trophy in San Jose?  Now he can conveniently say that the team was going nowhere with Joe Thornton as its best player?  Maybe so, but he still made a bad trade.  O'Connell did some good things and some bad things as GM.  His biggest blunder was getting a poor return on the Thornton trade.  To revisit the whole thing 6 years later after the B's won the cup reflects poorly on him, in my opinion.       
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]
    He also gave TT a 3yr 1m/yr deal. Which gave PC and the B's to get an even better look at him. I'd say this was MO's best move next to the 06' draft.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike O'Connell Interview Revelations on SportsHub : Back to that 2005-6 team, the only survivors today are TT and Bergeron. Samsonov for Marty Reasoner? 
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

And a 2nd pick in that deal that was used to draft Lucic.  All part of OC's Master Plan.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I may be wrong, but didnt samsonov for Reasoner include a draft pick that turned out to be Lucic?
    One of the downfalls too was the decision not to resign anyone after the lockout.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

Well thank god we went out and got the best GM in the league to replace him. How many teams can say they won the cup with two rookies who are on the rise (one of whom was a 19 year old 2nd overall pick) and then had the 9th overall pick the next year. quite frankly i think the Bs won the cup a year or two before they were supposed to (thanks to tim thomas for that one)

Sections
Shortcuts