Milbury says "I don't smack kids around"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Milbury says "I don't smack kids around"

Mike gives his side of the story.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/
    Sounds more and more like a spoiled punk kid whose range rover driving mom got her panties in a bunch over Milbury being so bold as to touch her precious son who has never done a wrong thing in his life.
    I tend to believe Milbury.

side note: Mike is 59 and has an 11 and 12 year old? I have 4 teenagers and if any of them are still at home when I'm 59 I'm moving out!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around"

Walk , I think there's more to it then a spoiled kid and his Mom. Fifty years ago things like this happened without the police getting involved . This isn't 1960. Things like this are not taken lightly nowadays regardless of how much of a brat the kid might be.
    We will have to just wait and see what further comes of this .

From various web sites:

Witnesses told police that Milbury — who is the assistant coach of his son’s team — later charged out onto the ice, grabbed the Blackhawks player with two hands, lifted him off the ground and shook him
                                                      ----------
    t is also alleged that he threatened the player, though Keaveney could not elaborate on the words exchanged.
                                                      ------------
    In various online chat forums, parents who attended the game and witnessed the incident expressed their shock and outrage.
                                                      -------------

According to one spectator, “Daddy Milbury erupted like a volcano,” screaming obscenities after his son’s run-in with the Blackhawks player.

“Parents from both sides were disturbed at the language and his actions,” another commenter wrote.

“My kid is so done playing for him,” said another.
                                                     ------------
    We do have evidence,” Keaveney said, declining to elaborate. “It will be submitted at trial.”

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Chowda, where are the comments that said Mike did not do anything egregious? Mike said he did grab the kid, his coach grabbed Mike's son, Mike did use what we all call a swear word [ haven't we all done this?] Mike sent his own son off the ice; Mike had asked the other coach to speak to his player about abusive language, and the coach replied that all of the "kids" were using abusive language, and did nothing. Unfortunately this is almost typical with Highly skilled youngsters who are not learning self conrol and respect. Cannot condone Mike's anger, but his actions do not seem to be abnormal for the situation. The "charges", initiated without proof, are totally out of line for the Brookline police, but consistent with guardians of the law who frequently form an opinion without facts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Chowdah, I not saying it's okay for him to do what he may have done. It sounds like he lost his temper with a punk who was getting out of line with his son. The truth is probably somewhere between Mike's version and what some of the witnesses say but I would bet it's closer to Mike's side.  

Keep in mind where this game is and the type of community that Brookline is. If you aren't from here, it's a mostly upper middle class to wealthy community and is loaded with self-righteous snobs and most everyone there is proud of their PC police status. Milbury does not fit. They would be indignant at anything like this and would tend to make it sound worse than it was. I know these people and have dealt with them numerous times under various circumstances. Milbury is far more likely to be honest than most of these folks, especially the parents of the kid who started the whole thing. You will not hear them place any fault on their son like Mike did with his. That will tell you all you need to know when determining who is truthful and who is not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around":
    Chowda, where are the comments that said Mike did not do anything egregious? Mike said he did grab the kid, his coach grabbed Mike's son, Mike did use what we all call a swear word [ haven't we all done this?] Mike sent his own son off the ice; Mike had asked the other coach to speak to his player about abusive language, and the coach replied that all of the "kids" were using abusive language, and did nothing. Unfortunately this is almost typical with Highly skilled youngsters who are not learning self conrol and respect. Cannot condone Mike's anger, but his actions do not seem to be abnormal for the situation. The "charges", initiated without proof, are totally out of line for the Brookline police, but consistent with guardians of the law who frequently form an opinion without facts.
    Posted by bogie6

Good point there, Bogie.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Posted by bogie6

The police have video evidence . Throw out your ' initiated without proof statement'. Charging Milbury after watching the video seems to be pretty straight forward to me.

--------------------------------------------
    Milbury, 59, of Needham will be summoned to court to face misdemeanor charges including assault and battery on a 12-year-old, threats to commit a crime and disorderly conduct, he said. Keaveney said police have video evidence of the alleged attack.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/cops_milbury_assaulted_kid_c336GCCPLcXjcRat5jEwNJ#ixzz1gtv4m1k0

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

This has "rich bit4h & friends has panties in a twist over nothing" written all over it! A piece of dung like Grahame James walks away with a pardon & Milbury has to put up with this nonsense!

The video evidence is going to show exactly what Milbury said! BIG DEAL!!!! That's what's wrong the kids. They deserve a kick in the rear & they know nobody can do it to them!

Nice parenting by the other coach! I applaude Mike & his action, someone who isn't afraid to stand up & do the right thing!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

If you read the article, it sounds like an informal game; just a little fun day that Mike put together AND paid for.
    Mike seemed like he was being pretty honest (why would he use an F-bomb if he didn't say it). I think Milbury's a little crazy, but I don't think he's crazy enough to violently shake/hit a kid.
    Frankly, I think Milbury was probably mostly upset with the other coach and possibly the kid's parents.
    1. He set up the game for the kids; maybe be a little thankful and not let a player on your team talk trash about Milbury?
    2. Something tells me the coach of the other team was bashing Milbury behind his back before the game......what 12 year old kids know about Mike Milbury and the shoe-beating incident? Not many.

I think the other coach is probably a scum bag, and simply saying "They're using profanity too" tells me all I need to know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Rich b3tch and friends , Range Rover , charges initiated without proof and now the other coach is a scum bag ? Where is all this coming from ?

It's amazing how a story has it's twist and turns because of what's going on in the minds of some.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Rich b3tch and friends , Range Rover , charges initiated without proof and now the other coach is a scum bag ? Where is all this coming from ? It's amazing how a story has it's twist and turns because of what's going on in the minds of some.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

No different than you coming up with your conclusions. You don't like Milbury, so you're going to lean against him. I think the guy is brash, but I don't think he did anything wrong! Don't make yourself all high & mighty because you side on what sounds like a spoiled rotten brat, who finally had someone knock the punk down a peg! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Rich b3tch and friends , Range Rover , charges initiated without proof and now the other coach is a scum bag ? Where is all this coming from ? It's amazing how a story has it's twist and turns because of what's going on in the minds of some.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

No disrespect intended, Chowdah, but I'm assuming you don't live here. I don't know actually happened but I'm pretty safe in making an assumption about the type of people involved and that they will overreact and be overly offended by Milbury's actions and will defend their kid and deny he did anything wrong.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

With regards to the the type of people involved comment, was not one of the people who got upset with Milbury not from Brookline at all? I thought I read the comment "My kid is done playing for him." Would that not mean the speaker has a kid on Milbury's squad? That would make it seem that more than just the opposition is ticked.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around" : No different than you coming up with your conclusions. You don't like Milbury, so you're going to lean against him. I think the guy is brash, but I don't think he did anything wrong! Don't make yourself all high & mighty because you side on what sounds like a spoiled rotten brat, who finally had someone knock the punk down a peg! 
    Posted by nitemare-38

You always have a way of putting words in a conversation into an elegant way nite.

Whether I like or hate Milbury ( I don't care if it was Milbury or Peter Pan ) or you think I'm acting all high and mighty has nothing to with the topic. All comments that add nothing but make you feel good.

I'm basing my opinions on what the media is reporting where you are drawing conclusions on your assumptions ( rich b$tch, punk, spoiled rotten brat etc. ).

What I get a kick out of you saying that Milbury did the right thing. 

Is his name plastered all over the media pages for assault of a 12 year old because he did the right thing ? Did the police charge him after they watched the video because he did the right thing ? And why are their parents ( at the game ) who are outraged at what he did ? Again for doing the right thing ? Did he get suspended from CBC and NBC for doing the right thing ?

Let's not confuse what Milbury did to the kid as the crime to what you think the victim and his Mom were like as if the kid deserved it.

I'm betting right now Milbury wished he did the so-called wrong thing .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Just remember EYE witnesses are the worst kind of witnesses.
    Whose team won the game? Do you think the team that lost the game may be a bit more upset and see things a different way.

It was after the game that this happened. It was during the shoot out and MM was on the ice already. He did not charge out on to the ice.

The quotes that are in chowd's post I would like to see the full context before making a blanket statement.

It also does not include one other comment where one person stated MM did nothing wrong except swear at the kid in his question.."What The XXXX did you say to Jake?" He also said he never lifted the kid but just grabbed him a seperated them just as the coach did MM's kid.. 
    Which I have done several times as a hockey coach many years ago. I also sent my own kid off one time.

Sorry having been a coach this smells of BS and let's get MM by the other team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around" : No disrespect intended, Chowdah, but I'm assuming you don't live here. I don't know actually happened but I'm pretty safe in making an assumption about the type of people involved and that they will overreact and be overly offended by Milbury's actions and will defend their kid and deny he did anything wrong.
    Posted by WalkTheLine

Walk, the question of Milbury being charged is not if the kid did anything wrong , it's how Milbury reacted to it. What he did you can't do obviously because he was charged, parents defending , over-reacting or not.

Cops decide if charges should be laid, not parents.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Milbury is a classless tool and I'm celebrating that he's off the air. Granted it's too bad it came down to this incident for him to get removed from TV.

Milbury was an awful GM and is an even worse TV commentator. The role of fight and violence-loving curmudgeon is delightfully played by the nonsensical Don Cherry. No need for his drivel on TV any more.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I wasn't there, so I really do not know what happened, other than the conflicting statements being reported in the media.

What I have not seen is any report that suggests that the kid involved was in any way injured.  As I understand it, Milbury bounced his kid from the shoot-out while the other kid stayed in.  If I am wrong on that, please correct me.

So unless the police were present and observed the incident, seems like someone had to file a criminal complaint?  In my mind, it would be Milbury's responsibility as the event promoter and a coach to break up an altercation between players on the ice.  What seems to be in question is his level of zeal in breaking things up. 

Personally, I have been a part of these situations (as a player, thankfully, and not a parent) and have NEVER seen or heard of charges being filed.  Things got handled and nobody got seriously hurt.  This brings to back to why the mother felt like she needed to move forward and file the complaint.  Her son was not injured, right?  How does this help her kid going forward?

Seems like things should have been left on the ice, but again I wasn't there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I wasn't there, so I really do not know what happened, other than the conflicting statements being reported in the media. What I have not seen is any report that suggests that the kid involved was in any way injured.  As I understand it, Milbury bounced his kid from the shoot-out while the other kid stayed in.  If I am wrong on that, please correct me. So unless the police were present and observed the incident, seems like someone had to file a criminal complaint?  In my mind, it would be Milbury's responsibility as the event promoter and a coach to break up an altercation between players on the ice.  What seems to be in question is his level of zeal in breaking things up.  Personally, I have been a part of these situations (as a player, thankfully, and not a parent) and have NEVER seen or heard of charges being filed.  Things got handled and nobody got seriously hurt.  This brings to back to why the mother felt like she needed to move forward and file the complaint.  Her son was not injured, right?  How does this help her kid going forward? Seems like things should have been left on the ice, but again I wasn't there.
    Posted by Crowls2424

From what I've read (no idea how accurate it is) the video was submitted to the police by parents of MM's team. This could have been either to show it was no big deal or to illustrate that it was a big deal. The motive could have been either way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

If he put his hands on the kid then he is wrong, and I don't blame the parents for pursuing charges. 

Also, there are no Brookline people involved - the Boston Junior Blackhawks are from north of Boston. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around" : You always have a way of putting words in a conversation into an elegant way nite. Whether I like or hate Milbury ( I don't care if it was Milbury or Peter Pan ) or you think I'm acting all high and mighty has nothing to with the topic. All comments that add nothing but make you feel good. I'm basing my opinions on what the media is reporting where you are drawing conclusions on your assumptions ( rich b$tch, punk, spoiled rotten brat etc. ). What I get a kick out of you saying that Milbury did the right thing.  Is his name plastered all over the media pages for assault of a 12 year old because he did the right thing ? Did the police charge him after they watched the video because he did the right thing ? And why are their parents ( at the game ) who are outraged at what he did ? Again for doing the right thing ? Did he get suspended from CBC and NBC for doing the right thing ? Let's not confuse what Milbury did to the kid as the crime to what you think the victim and his Mom were like as if the kid deserved it.   I'm betting right now Milbury wished he did the so-called wrong thing .
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

You have your version & I have the truth. Until the video is shown & MM actually assulting the kid? I'll stand by MM's version. Media? Like the media always has all the facts eh Chowda? Where's the innocent until proven guilty? So you stand on the primadonna's side. I'll stand by what is interpretted to me as a snot nosed spoiled little brat that got removed from being nothing but a punk! And fur coat wearing mother who didn't like someone doing something to her son that if she was a proper parent would have the kid straightened out!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Milbury is a classless tool and I'm celebrating that he's off the air. Granted it's too bad it came down to this incident for him to get removed from TV. Milbury was an awful GM and is an even worse TV commentator. The role of fight and violence-loving curmudgeon is delightfully played by the nonsensical Don Cherry. No need for his drivel any more.
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory

Nor yours!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

If he put his hands on the kid then he is wrong, and I don't blame the parents for pursuing charges.  Also, there are no Brookline people involved - the Boston Junior Blackhawks are from north of Boston. 
    Posted by hangnail

How else would one break up a fight without "putting a hand" on the combatants?  Also seems reasonable that he might have picked the kid up to stop the fight.

If he roughed the kid up, there is no defense for that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Assuming for a moment that he did not rough the kid up, had there still been a ref or a linesman on the ice would they have been called to the carpet for stopping the fight by grabbing the kids in the same manner? Don't linesmen grab kids in almost every single minor hockey game in North America at some point? I've had a linesmen grab me and yank me by the sweater more times than I can recall - never knew it was assault.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around" : How else would one break up a fight without "putting a hand" on the combatants?  Also seems reasonable that he might have picked the kid up to stop the fight. If he roughed the kid up, there is no defense for that.
    Posted by Crowls2424

It wasn't a fight...the video will show everything I'm sure. 

From what I've read from people who claim to have been there, both Milbury's kid and the Blackhawk kid were acting horribly, but there was no fight.  Unfortunately Milbury lost his cool and put his hands on the kid.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Assuming for a moment that he did not rough the kid up, had there still been a ref or a linesman on the ice would they have been called to the carpet for stopping the fight by grabbing the kids in the same manner? Don't linesmen grab kids in almost every single minor hockey game in North America at some point? I've had a linesmen grab me and yank me by the sweater more times than I can recall - never knew it was assault.
    Posted by red75

Kind of what I have been thinking, Red.  Sounds like what may have gotten Milbury in more trouble is that he also took the opportunity to dish out some verbal abuse.  A ref/linesman would not likely deliver that.   Either way, does not sound like a criminal act to me, but again, I wasn't there.

Sections
Shortcuts