Milbury says "I don't smack kids around"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around"

From what I've read/heard Milbury also yelled at his own kid, Kicked him off the ice tio the point where his own kid was in tears. I've heard Milbury grabbed the other kids jersey simply because he was breaking up a fight with the other kid on top.

Sounds to me like it got out of hand and Milbury stepped in. Sometimes a kid needs to be berated a little bit, and lets face, if there were a few f-bombs, so what.  I'm sure if it was his kid on top he would have grabbed him by the jersey. What else is supposed to do in that instance..?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The game had ended then everyone went and ate pizza then came back for a fun shootout. Milbury was on the ice in his shoes not skates as a goal judge when he saw his son and the other kid getting into a tussle which led MM to break up the fight. If their weren't a celebrity of some notoriety involved there wouldn't even be a thread on this.

I know this Milbury and his wife will never fork over the $500 so some kids can have a fun skate and this kind of stuff is what drove my family away from organized sports in Massachusetts. Typical loozer parents making much ado about nothing as they try too politic their kid onto the playing surface when they don't deserve to be there in the first place.

The brat that taunted MMs kid was probably terrible and hated that he wasn't any good so he found an opposing kid to pick on. Several parents have said they heard what the punk was saying to MMs kid as well. As long as their were enough of those parents saying this on an affidavit Mad Mike will be back on TV soon enough.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

In Response to Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around":
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around" : Nor yours!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    Great comment Nitemare but I only sell well-reasoned, cogent arguments. I could teach Mad Mike a few things.

Seriously, does anyone actually find Milbury's takes on things relevant? The NHL is undergoing a major culture change with respect to toughness, fighting, and head injuries. For proof of the need for this change, just read the NY Times' excellent series on Boogard. Milbury's foolish, anachronistic opinions run counter to what's actually happening. Ignore my drivel but look at the facts. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around" : Great comment Nitemare but I only sell well-reasoned, cogent arguments. I could teach Mad Mike a few things. Seriously, does anyone actually find Milbury's takes on things relevant? The NHL is undergoing a major culture change with respect to toughness, fighting, and head injuries. For proof of the need for this change, just read the NY Times' excellent series on Boogard. Milbury's foolish, anachronistic opinions run counter to what's actually happening. Ignore my drivel but look at the facts
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory[/QUOTE]
    What facts? Facts from the NYT? Pwwtt, PLEASE!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scarhill2000. Show scarhill2000's posts

Millbury's choice of words "I don't smack kids around" provides some insight  into the way the guy thinks. I think anyone with children would do well to keep them away from Mike Milbury.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Several posts here....and not one close to the middle.  Unfortunately, a reasonable amount of judgement, isn't common throughout law enforcement either, and that's where it all starts.
    We know that those with money and some notoriety, are great targets for the publicity mongering(which also includes some in law enforcement).
    We also know that many, with money and notoriety feel above the law.

We also "should' know, there are very few who want perspective.  They're drawn to the circus.  The "Mad Mike' persona fits like a glove....and away we go.
      Two camps.  The intellectually challenged Cherryists...those frontier, vigilante, dim-witted types....and the smart ones.  Those more capable of forming their phrases.

A couple things stand out to me.  If the kid had even a teeny sign of injury, it probably would have been noted by now.  If there's a bruise, or a scratch....anything like that...this could be a criminal issue.
    If this is an example of someone of some celebrity using excessive foul language while breaking up a kids fight....sorry folks.  We don't have enough public money...or room within the judicial system to play around with this stuff.   
    If that's the case, Milbury could be a bit of an overly emotional idiot....but a criminal? I think we're wasting resources going that route.

I don't know Milbury, but I do know this.  A guy who's played pro hockey, managed pro hockey....been involved in the game all his life, doesn't need the ego gratification that comes from coaching kids.  Men with a well earned reputation for toughness, rarely feel compelled to prove that on 12 year olds either.  The fact he banned his own kid from participating thereafter, while not insisting the same for the other, is telling.

I guess it comes down to someones idea of "assault".

scarhill2000, pretty much sums up the feeling of one camp, and takes the position way, way out in left field.  And it's done with literary precision.
    What could be more folly than assuming one could gain "insight into the way the guy thinks" so effortlessly.
    What could be more overstated, more dramatic, more dumb...based on the evidence at hand...than the position that "anyone with children would do well to keep them away from Mike Milbury"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

If Milbury didn't do anything wrong, he wouldn't have gone to the media and had a 2 hour interview.  He's trying to create a circus atmosphere in order to force the parents of the victim to drop the charges before it gets to court.  If it gets that far, he's screwed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]If Milbury didn't do anything wrong, he wouldn't have gone to the media and had a 2 hour interview.  He's trying to create a circus atmosphere in order to force the parents of the victim to drop the charges before it gets to court.  If it gets that far, he's screwed.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

I'd be surprised if the media didn't go to him first.  Most experts in the legal field would advise against a lengthy media interview about a criminal investigation.

I don't think there's much argument as to whether he did anything "wrong".  At best, he was swearing at someone elses kid.  Most don't think that's right.

What seems to be at issue is whether he did something criminal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

You can't read abolutely anything into Milbury giving an interview. The innocent and guilty alike routinely deny interviews. It's just a matter of course. An interview like Milbury's about a pending case is highly unusual, and as such can't be viewed as any sort of pattern in a larger sense. It is what it is, but has no implication either way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around" : What facts? Facts from the NYT? Pwwtt, PLEASE!!

Merry Christmas to you too Nite but I'll take the informed writings of the NY Times on toughness and fighting and my own observations of Milbury's sexist, old school commentary to form my opinion here. As someone else pointed out, this post has taken on a couple of different themes.

Regardless of whether the case should be thrown out of court, Milbury's alleged actions are reflective of an impetuous, quick-tempered person. That attitude permeates his unintelligible work on Versus and NBC. Hence ... my joy that he's off the air.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

WEEI just had a parent of a Junior Blackhawk player on the radio...Milbury is in trouble once the video comes out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]WEEI just had a parent of a Junior Blackhawk player on the radio...Milbury is in trouble once the video comes out.

Hang , any chance of elaborating on what was said ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In a nutshell, both kids were acting like punks the entire night.  Milbury was not breaking up a physical fight between them, rather it was more of a verbal exchange between the two kids.  Parents from both teams were absolutely in shock during the entire shootout, and several gave statements to Brookline police that night, who are in possession of the video footage.

As a parent of a HS player and having just lived through 10 years of youth hockey, I honestly feel bad for Milbury and can understand being pushed to the breaking point by a pukey 12 year old - there are tons out there.  But Milbury's kid doesn't get a pass on this one from me, sometimes you just have to keep skating away and try to settle it on the scoreboard, or with a good solid hit that might make the other kid take notice. 

The best solution to this mess is to not have parent coaches - it's only human nature to get emotionally involved when things aren't going well for your own kid.  That part I understand, and it's good to have the option of just walking out into the lobby to cool off when things get heated.  As a coach obviously you don't have that luxury, and I think Milbury, unfortunately, is going to pay the piper on this one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In a nutshell, both kids were acting like punks the entire night.  Milbury was not breaking up a physical fight between them, rather it was more of a verbal exchange between the two kids.  Parents from both teams were absolutely in shock during the entire shootout, and several gave statements to Brookline police that night, who are in possession of the video footage. As a parent of a HS player and having just lived through 10 years of youth hockey, I honestly feel bad for Milbury and can understand being pushed to the breaking point by a pukey 12 year old - there are tons out there.  But Milbury's kid doesn't get a pass on this one from me, sometimes you just have to keep skating away and try to settle it on the scoreboard, or with a good solid hit that might make the other kid take notice.  The best solution to this mess is to not have parent coaches - it's only human nature to get emotionally involved when things aren't going well for your own kid.  That part I understand, and it's good to have the option of just walking out into the lobby to cool off when things get heated.  As a coach obviously you don't have that luxury, and I think Milbury, unfortunately, is going to pay the piper on this one.

Sorry hangnail, nothing new here.  I was hoping that you heard some breaking news.   Everything else is you continuing to editorialize your dislike for Milbury (softened this round).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

When I see the video I'll believe it until then Milbury gets his day in court were the evidence will be evaluated. Tough talk as a commentator doesn't make them a bad person, ignorant sometimes sure but usually it's blowing hot air as we know Mike does.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around" : Sorry hangnail, nothing new here.  I was hoping that you heard some breaking news.   Everything else is you continuing to editorialize your dislike for Milbury (softened this round).
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Not true, I actually get a kick out of listening to his antics on TV.  But this has nothing to do with his profession or him as a person, who I have never met by the way. 

If the charges that are alleged are true, I can understand the kid's parents for pursuing the case.  You just don't touch someone else's child in a threatening way.

Now go ahead and continue to bash me just because I have a different opinion than you. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around" : Not true, I actually get a kick out of listening to his antics on TV.  But this has nothing to do with his profession or him as a person, who I have never met by the way.  If the charges that are alleged are true, I can understand the kid's parents for pursuing the case.  You just don't touch someone else's child in a threatening way. Now go ahead and continue to bash me just because I have a different opinion than you. 

Not intending to "bash" you, but you clearly have a bias that on this one that is heavily leaking through.  If you have some inside information, please share it, otherwise it seems like we will need to wait until the facts come out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

As I posted before when the story first came out I beleive this is a sad attempt at a money grab from the kids parents. Nothing I have read since about the incident has changed my opinion on this. Pretty bad Milbury uses some of his own money to put on a nice event for the kids and this is how he gets treated?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around" : Not intending to "bash" you, but you clearly have a bias that on this one that is heavily leaking through.  If you have some inside information, please share it, otherwise it seems like we will need to wait until the facts come out.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

My bias is that of a parent of a 15 year old hockey player.  If an adult touches him in a threatening way you can bet your hockey bag I'm going to do whatever it takes to protect him and try to make sure it doesn't happen to someone else's kid. 

I don't have any inside information.  I wasn't there, but read about it the night it happened on a youth hockey board - posts from parents of BOTH teams who were mortified at what happened.  I heard an interview today on WEEI from a parent who was there.  No one other than Milbury is saying he was breaking up a fight.

You're right, the facts will need to come out.  However, I don't think we will ever really know the facts because I have a feeling that this thing will be settled out of court.  As a general rule, hockey parents stick together and I think as a few days pass cooler heads will prevail.

I enjoy your insight on here Crowls but honestly, there is no need to talk down to someone just because they have a differing opinion.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around" : My bias is that of a parent of a 15 year old hockey player.  If an adult touches him in a threatening way you can bet your hockey bag I'm going to do whatever it takes to protect him and try to make sure it doesn't happen to someone else's kid.  I don't have any inside information.  I wasn't there, but read about it the night it happened on a youth hockey board - posts from parents of BOTH teams who were mortified at what happened.  I heard an interview today on WEEI from a parent who was there.  No one other than Milbury is saying he was breaking up a fight. You're right, the facts will need to come out.  However, I don't think we will ever really know the facts because I have a feeling that this thing will be settled out of court.  As a general rule, hockey parents stick together and I think as a few days pass cooler heads will prevail. I enjoy your insight on here Crowls but honestly, there is no need to talk down to someone just because they have a differing opinion.

Just trying to have a discussion, hang, my apologies if my comments have come across as condescending. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Hang it's not a civil suit the case was brought by the police after complaints were reported so I'm not seeing how the case could be settled out of court. The only way MM gets off is if their is lack of evidence and the case is dropped or if the defense plea's or wins a court trial.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

IGraham james went to prison and is going back.       n Response to Re: Milbury says "I don't smack kids around":
    [QUOTE]This has "rich bit4h & friends has panties in a twist over nothing" written all over it! A piece of dung like Grahame James walks away with a pardon & Milbury has to put up with this nonsense! The video evidence is going to show exactly what Milbury said! BIG DEAL!!!! That's what's wrong the kids. They deserve a kick in the rear & they know nobody can do it to them! Nice parenting by the other coach! I applaude Mike & his action, someone who isn't afraid to stand up & do the right thing!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Per 985 the sports hub Milbury won't face assault charges. Looks like the kids parents should should work more overtime at their jobs cause their attempt at a money grab has failed!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrodesk/2011/12/mike-milbury-assault-case-set-for-hearing-today-brookline-courthouse/WmnK3B7sXtV9vc1oia5pVP/index.html

Hmm wonder if we'll see a civil suit now which was suspected in the first place. Guess there was no video...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrodesk/2011/12/mike-milbury-assault-case-set-for-hearing-today-brookline-courthouse/WmnK3B7sXtV9vc1oia5pVP/index.html Hmm wonder if we'll see a civil suit now which was suspected in the first place. Guess there was no video...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Par for the course, the lawyer for the Parents of the kid alledgedly assaulted said it wasn't about the money.We'll see i guess.

Sections
Shortcuts