Milbury the blowhard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Milbury the blowhard

A couple of posters took me to task recently when I likened Mike Milbury's bombast to that of Don Cherry. The veteran hockey writer Stu Hackel has a similar take on Mad Mike:

http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2012/04/04/mad-mike-milburys-act-is-obsolete/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Milbury the blowhard

I disagree with Milbury all the time and find him to be mostly a blowhard, but this commentary reeks of A) a poor understanding of what Milbury's job is, and B) the apparent north-of-the-border protection of one Mr. Crosby (no offense to our Canadian friends).

I think that Milbury does exactly what he's asked to do, so it's hard to argue that he's out of bounds.  To compare him to McKenzie is absurd.  We all know that McKenzie is a respected voice of reason in the hockey world  - a columnist with tons of connections that mostly reports inside information with balance and integrity.  He's the best.  Milbury is paid to give opinions.  Not necessarily astute, informed, and refined opinions, but rather it is his job to have interesting opinions.  In that way he's like Cherry.  I guess the point is, take him for what he is.  A blowhard who gives the audience strong, reactionary, and unrefined opinions on what he sees.  Don't expect them to nuanced and researched.  They will be blunt, and frankly, sometimes stupid.

I think that when people disagree with what Milbury says, they are also aggravated that he has the stage to spout off, and call everything into question.  But when you agree with him you realize that it is nice to have an unrehearsed and honest voice out there.  I feel the same way about Cherry.  Expect half of his rants to be idiotic, but it's still better to have some free-swingers out there in the media, then to always have Kevin Weekes praising everybody in the game endlessly and being a perfect diplomat.

Crosby is not above criticism when he acts the way he did against Philly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

There's nothing wrong with Milbury being critical of something he sees that he disagrees with. That's his job and he was hired because he's controversial.

What I don't like is when he makes personal comments. Bylsma wears a skirt because he didn't stand up on the dasher and commenting about Crosby having 35 concussions ( meaning he is fragile ) They are disrespectful.

Leave the trash talking to the players on the ice and just point out what you don't like without acting like the schoolyard bully.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Perhaps he is being groomed to host Coach's Corner when Cherry retires?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Milbury the blowhard:
    [QUOTE]There's nothing wrong with Milbury being critical of something he sees that he disagrees with. That's his job and he was hired because he's controversial. What I don't like is when he makes personal comments. Bylsma wears a skirt because he didn't stand up on the dasher and commenting about Crosby having 35 concussions ( meaning he is fragile ) They are disrespectful. Leave the trash talking to the players on the ice and just point out what you don't like without acting like the schoolyard bully.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Good examples of the idiotic stuff.  I thought the comments about Bylsma were absurd.  I didn't think they were offensive, so much as just plain stupid.

I mean, how totally dumb to suggest that an NHL coach needs to take part in some sideshow spectacle for the fans, like it's the WWF or something.  I thought exactly the opposite -- that Laviolette looked like a complete fool standing there shouting like a child for no good reason after a fight sparked by a perfectly clean hit.  I have greater respect for Bylsma for doing exactly what he did and keeping his composure.  Let the other guy rant and rave like a lunatic.  You're the coach of an NHL hockey team.  Have some dignity.

Milbury failed on that one, but boy was it refreshing a few weeks ago when he went nuts over all of the absurd goalie interference calls.  You don't get that from too many analysts.  I take the good with the bad and just assume that Milbury will be a bit of a clown.  Low expectations make him more bearable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Something else about that article that I disagree.  It portrays him as being okay with head shits and trauma.  Not true.  Whenever there's a head shot (i.e. Keith on Sedin) he was saying he should have gotten 7 games because this is what the league wants put of the game.  This is only one example of a few I've heard comment on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Something else about that article that I disagree.  It portrays him as being okay with head shits and trauma.  Not true.  Whenever there's a head shot (i.e. Keith on Sedin) he was saying he should have gotten 7 games because this is what the league wants put of the game.  This is only one example of a few I've heard comment on.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Where are the censors?!?  Outrageous.  I'm gonna write a letter...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury the blowhard : Where are the censors?!?  Outrageous.  I'm gonna write a letter...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Head shits are a problem everywhere-not just in the NHL.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]Something else about that article that I disagree.  It portrays him as being okay with head shits and trauma.  Not true.  Whenever there's a head shot (i.e. Keith on Sedin) he was saying he should have gotten 7 games because this is what the league wants put of the game.  This is only one example of a few I've heard comment on.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
     Milbury also went ballistic over a Nystrom head shot to Letang, nearly dropping the gloves with studio mate Roenick. While Milbury can be neanderthal in some regards, he is on board with head shots. I just think Mike picked a poor way to explain Crosby can expect payback with the chippy and dirty way he plays the game.Craig Berube also came out on a radio show and said Crosby and Malkin are two of the dirtier players in the game, go figure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury the blowhard : Head shits are a problem everywhere-not just in the NHL.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Head shits would be a gross problem and does need to be dealt with.....:)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Aggh, who's protecting us??  It's anarchy.  Shits everywhere...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

I didn't hear the comments by Milbury, but I heard they were made on a Philadelphia radio show and methinks he was just stirring the pot a little for the Flyer fans. (I don't know why people don't realize in this day and age any word written or spoken can be picked up and relayed anywhere on the planet within minutes of exposure...)

Milbury appears regularly on HNIC on CBC on the 2nd Intermission Hot Stove (lately on a remote feed from his upcoming NBC game) and his demeanour is defnitely different (more subdued) than his intermission on NBC.

I always felt he is creating an on-air personality for the NBC audiences to help with ratings.

The radio interview was - by most accounts - slightly over the line and I think someone at NBC 'asked' that he appologize for it and he did.

The real issue probably is that succumbed to the pressure and didn't let it go (he could have just promised to think before he speaks in the future) 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I get head shits sometimes and its really mind boggling!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury the blowhard : Where are the censors?!?  Outrageous.  I'm gonna write a letter...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

LMAO ... CRAP ... don't think their censors are working. Foreplay

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Did anybody listen to the actual interview in which these comments came out?  It was played on HNIC radio yesterday.  It was from a Philly radio show, and was very blue collar.  It sounded more like a stand-up routine than a hockey interview.  The point is it was intended for that audience, i.e. a Pro Philly Man-show.   Milbury was clearly trying to be funny, playing off the hosts.  Too many people took it too seriously. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I didn't need to read any farther than the title of this thread (but of course, did).
    and the fact that head shits came up only solidifies my stance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Where's Badhab?  I think we've found that nickname he's been looking for.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't mind Milbury, he is what he is. I don't think he's putting on a show either, he wears his emotions on his sleeve and says whats on his mind. I like people like that. Rex Ryan, Bill Parcells, Jeremy Roenick, John Tortorella, etc..To me they just add to the fun, makes me want to see my Pats beat the Jets that much more.

How do you compare Milbury to McKenzie? Two people, who could not be more different. I agree with your assesment of McKenzie Fletch, very professional and Milbury is entertaining.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The comparison between Milbury and McKenzie was painful - those names should not be brought up in the same sentence. Elliott, Brunt, those folks get to be mentioned with McKenzie, not Mad Mike, so that comparison is ridiculous.

I also  think this whole thing is much ado about nothing - I HATE when commentators use feminity as a way to attack hockey coaches and players (the skirt comment) My feelings about that are well documented here. I think that kind of commentary should be out of the game. That said, Mike's a blowhard, and these are the kinds of things I'd expect him to say. Crosby IS cheap and doesn't back it up. I don't think Milbury called him out in the right way, but Crosby does deserve to be called out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

"I guess the point is, take him for what he is.  A blowhard who gives the audience strong, reactionary, and unrefined opinions on what he sees.  Don't expect them to nuanced and researched.  They will be blunt, and frankly, sometimes stupid."

Blunt, like being hit by a shoe?

"Milbury also went ballistic over a Nystrom head shot to Letang, nearly dropping the gloves with studio mate Roenick."

I dunno -- I think that was purely a stage show.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury the blowhard : Head shits are a problem everywhere-not just in the NHL.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I think Stanley suffers from those.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Milbury the blowhard:[QUOTE]I disagree with Milbury all the time and find him to be mostly a blowhard, but this commentary reeks of A) a poor understanding of what Milbury's job is, I think that Milbury does exactly what he's asked to do, so it's hard to argue that he's out of bounds.  To compare him to McKenzie is absurd.     Milbury is paid to give opinions.  Not necessarily astute,  I guess the point is, take him for what he is.  A blowhard who gives the audience strong, reactionary, and unrefined opinions on what he sees.   I feel the same way about Cherry.  Expect half of his rants to be idiotic, but it's still better to have some free-swingers out there in the media, then to always have Kevin Weekes praising everybody in the game endlessly and being a perfect diplomat. Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

For sports commentary in the US it all started with Cosell. Sports fans tuned in too hate on Howard and the networks capitalized on this by hiring clones or wannabees. Milbury is one of them, Bill Walton used to be one, Tim Mcarver still drives me away from baseball games on FOX etc.

I thought Milbury did a decent job calling college hockey games on CBS Sports Network this year. Didn't call anyone names and wasn't outlandish so this verifies to me that he does turn it up a notch for NBC because they told him too.

Edit: "Head shits" ? Are they going to invent a pill for that ? Cripes another thing to worry about...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]"I guess the point is, take him for what he is.  A blowhard who gives the audience strong, reactionary, and unrefined opinions on what he sees.  Don't expect them to nuanced and researched.  They will be blunt , and frankly, sometimes stupid."   Blunt, like being hit by a shoe?   "Milbury also went ballistic over a Nystrom head shot to Letang, nearly dropping the gloves with studio mate Roenick."   I dunno -- I think that was purely a stage show.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Honestly, who throws a shoe?!"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Milbury the blowhard : Honestly, who throws a shoe?!"
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

It's a pretty common (and extremely offensive) insult in the Arab peninsula and within Sunni culture. Maybe Milbury's a convert to Salafi?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Just another bit of evidence that the Bruins are globally followed. Muntadher al-Zaid throwing his show at President Bush.. clearly an homage to Millbury. Personally, I love the guy.. the last one.

Sections
Shortcuts