Miller diagnosed with concussion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: Miller diagnosed with concussion

NAS and Chowda agreeing is disrupting my conscious mind!  They are correct!  If a suspension comes about it will be fine for the NHL in the short run.  As I stated in another thread, Lucic will be compared to Chara and then lumped into Cooke.  In the long run, those poor defenseless goalies will be able to skate in the defensive zone without fear.  Why they are so unprotected with all that gear!  Billy Smith or Gerry Cheevers would know how to handle the likes of a Lucic.  His ankles would hurt alot!  The NHL is going soft on goalies like the NFL is going soft on quarterbacks, got to love the quarterback sliding!  MC Hammer, don't touch me!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Relax Shupe I'm not a goalie. I was just making a joke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Miller diagnosed with concussion:
    [QUOTE]NAS and Chowda agreeing is disrupting my conscious mind!  They are correct!  If a suspension comes about it will be fine for the NHL in the short run.  As I stated in another thread, Lucic will be compared to Chara and then lumped into Cooke.  In the long run, those poor defenseless goalies will be able to skate in the defensive zone without fear.  Why they are so unprotected with all that gear!  Billy Smith or Gerry Cheevers would know how to handle the likes of a Lucic.  His ankles would hurt alot!  The NHL is going soft on goalies like the NFL is going soft on quarterbacks, got to love the quarterback sliding!  MC Hammer, don't touch me!
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Isla I am concerned for your well being. Once in a blue moon things like this happen. Sorry !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Lucic deserves to be suspended as much as Miller. If he connected with swinging his goalie stick, it would have been bad.

I know the rules state that a player must avoid the goalie but I think that's a stupid rule. Once the goalie leaves his crease, he's fair game in my view. Why should a goalie be able to play the puck out of the net and be protected more than any other player or defender? 

Miller has a concussion history (was out at the end of last year) and not surprised at the concussion.

Lucic deserved a penalty but no way should it be a suspension, it was a clean hit other than the fact that it was on the goalie. I just have no sympathy for goalies who come out of the crease to play the puck and think the same protection they deserve in the crease applies to outside of the crease.

If you don't want to be hit or bumped, stay in the net.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I get both Kelv's and Shupe's point of views, hockey views that is.
    Fine Lucic maybe should've done an effort to move ,bla bla bla ...  what I didn't like was his boasting in his comments. Maybe I'm reading too much into them and he said them after he heard what Milelr had to say. 
    One thing for sure Lucic was ready to anwser the bell and will be ready . He knew what he was doing and it worked.  Sacrificed 2mins in the box and changed the game.
    Isn't that part of hockey, intimidation ?

Then there's Millerwhy do you turn your back???  Jeeeeze , brace yourself also , you have so much equipement !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]I get both Kelv's and Shupe's point of views, hockey views that is. Fine Lucic maybe should've done an effort to move ,bla bla bla ...  what I didn't like was his boasting in his comments. Maybe I'm reading too much into them and he said them after he heard what Milelr had to say.  One thing for sure Lucic was ready to anwser the bell and will be ready . He knew what he was doing and it worked.  Sacrificed 2mins in the box and changed the game. Isn't that part of hockey, intimidation ? Then there's Miller ,  why do you turn your back ???  Jeeeeze , brace yourself also , you have so much equipement !  
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  I think we can all assume that Lucic isnt the sharpest pencil in the box.  What I wanna know is were his comments based after Sally Miller or before.  There is a difference. 
    Buffalo can respond if they want.  Bring it on.  Its the 1st quarter of the year.  I want teams disliking us.  Bring it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Miller diagnosed with concussion : I agree with this.  I think we can all assume that Lucic isnt the sharpest pencil in the box.  What I wanna know is were his comments based after Sally Miller or before.  There is a difference.  Buffalo can respond if they want.  Bring it on.  Its the 1st quarter of the year.  I want teams disliking us.  Bring it!
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I'm curious also. I'm leaning towards he knew what Miller said just because of his smirk during interview. 
    Lucic spoke out of emotion , he's that type of guy and that was his way getting back Miller for his insults.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Can you imagine Julien, Chirelli or Neely making comments to the press to try to lobby for the suspension of another player? Behind-the-scenes, sure. But to lobby the press is.....soft and weird. What happened to good ol' "We'll let the league handle this, we're focused on not giving up 6 goals and maybe winning the next game".

THIS is the stuff that Buffalo fans are sick of. It's amazing how the majority seem to be cranked about their own team and the reaction, and less on the hit. I respect that.

Nobody knows for sure....but I would not be surprised at all if Miller is out 1-2 games at most.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kegarret. Show kegarret's posts

Yeah, the first thing I usually do after suffering a concussion is take a two-handed chop toward the player that hit me's knees.  Then I lay on the ice for 5 seconds playing hurt.  Then once the offender is surrounded by refs and my pretend tough guy teammates, I get up and mouth off.  Any other goalie would have gone after Lucic...I mean come on, you have a blocker!  It's not fun to get smacked in the head with one of those.

Unfortunately, Buffalo is trying to find a spark - but this Linda Ruff team is no different than the 2010 playoff Linda Ruff team. No other way to stand up to Boston's toughness and skill- so they resort to whining.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I actually felt Miller tried to lead with the shoulder and hit lucic. But thats what I thought I saw. Miller just got the worst of it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, after reviewing the tape so many times, Miller also wanted to play physical with Lucic too.  Watch him after he kicked the puck out and quickly put up his left elbow to try to knock Lucic down.  Instead Miller was the one got knocked down.

All Lucic did is to skated straightway toward to the goal at the same time he hope that the puck reflected off of him where he can try to get the puck back, and score a goal right there.  That is part of hockey.  Miller knew Lucic is too big to handle.  

Had Miller do it again, he should have kick the puck out, and get out of the way.

I do not think there will be a hefty suspension base on Miller putting his arms up acting like he wanted to play physical with him.

I would say no more than 2 games suspensions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Saw it mentioned somewhere (may have been somewhere on these boards) because the Sabres didn't do this concussion thing the correct way, how can it be guaranteed that he got the concussion on the Lucic hit?  Seguin was driven into him later in the game as well and Miller fell backwards into his own net.  He could have hit his head then. 

I know the Lucic hit was "bigger" but remember small taps to the head will sometimes result in a concussion that is more severe then one's suffered in large collisions. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Can you imagine Julien, Chirelli or Neely making comments to the press to try to lobby for the suspension of another player? Behind-the-scenes, sure. But to lobby the press is.....soft and weird. What happened to good ol' "We'll let the league handle this, we're focused on not giving up 6 goals and maybe winning the next game". THIS is the stuff that Buffalo fans are sick of. It's amazing how the majority seem to be cranked about their own team and the reaction, and less on the hit. I respect that. Nobody knows for sure....but I would not be surprised at all if Miller is out 1-2 games at most.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

I also was impressed with most of their fans reaction on their blogs etc..
    If it were Price that got hit by Lucic in Montreal there would be lynch mobs and lobbying by press for a big suspension.  Only difference Price would not have taken it like Miller. First he would have braced himself , even protect himself with his blocker and glove in front him and he would have gone face to face with Lucic . 
    I think Miller's ego has been hurt and that he should blame his coach for going out in the press earlier last week and showing up Miller.  Ruff talks too much and threw his goalie under the bus . This was an important game for Miller to try and get his game back but instead lost it and got hurt.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

if lucic gets anything it will be the wrong decision. shanny better get this one right, no suspension for lucic. he'd better be calling out the sabres medical staff for clearing a concussed player to play for another 30 minutes. never heard of a delayed-onset concussion. you know, displaying symptoms not directly after the contact- but over a hour after? funny 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Concussion diagnosis is far from an exact science.  I don't think delayed onset of symptom is that uncommon.*  Especially for mild ones, I think a lot of it comes from patient self-reporting, and you can bet nearly any professional athlete isn't going to go to the locker room and tell a doctor "Yea, I've feeling kind of depressed right now."  He wasn't knocked-out, woozy, or hit directly in the head on the play so the so-called protocol for concussed players wouldn't come into play.

The only thing that seems fishy here is the timing of the announcement of the hearing.  

*Full disclosure: I am not a medical doctor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Concussion diagnosis is far from an exact science.  I don't think delayed onset of symptom is that uncommon.*  Especially for mild ones, I think a lot of it comes from patient self-reporting, and you can bet nearly any professional athlete isn't going to go to the locker room and tell a doctor "Yea, I've feeling kind of depressed right now."  He wasn't knocked-out, woozy, or hit directly in the head on the play so the so-called protocol for concussed players wouldn't come into play. The only thing that seems fishy here is the timing of the announcement of the hearing.   *Full disclosure: I am not a medical doctor.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Me also.  I posted this on the other thread.
    If Miller had no concussion would we be even discussing the hearing ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Miller diagnosed with concussion : Me also.  I posted this on the other thread. If Miller had no concussion would we be even discussing the hearing ?
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

And that's why the Bruins or Lucic should bring up (if he needs to) that Seguin's collision could have caused the concusion just as much as his. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]Concussion diagnosis is far from an exact science.  I don't think delayed onset of symptom is that uncommon.*  Especially for mild ones, I think a lot of it comes from patient self-reporting, and you can bet nearly any professional athlete isn't going to go to the locker room and tell a doctor "Yea, I've feeling kind of depressed right now."  He wasn't knocked-out, woozy, or hit directly in the head on the play so the so-called protocol for concussed players wouldn't come into play. The only thing that seems fishy here is the timing of the announcement of the hearing.   *Full disclosure: I am not a medical doctor.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]
    i'm not a doctor either, but i have suffered a concussion or two. one thing i know for certain, the split second after i was knocked- i "saw stars". i was not able to form a thought or reaction- like say swing my stick as i was falling down in an obvious attempt to injure the offender. this along with being cleared to play twice- after the incident, and after the first period intermission have me being a bit critical of the severity of his injury.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

For the record I never blamed Lucic for anything. These things happen, especially when the two are going for the puck..He got a 2 minute penalty, that should be it. I can't believe the Sabres didnt respond. I don't blame Miller for being angry, but do think his anger should be directed more at his mates, and maybe it was in a weird way.

I just have a problem with people calling miller a sissy. How can you call him the sissy and not his mates? Yes I'm biased towards the goalie, but like i said, I don't blame lucic.Maybe he couldnt have avoided him. Maybe Miller could have done a better job avoiding Lucic. I would have reacted the same way as Miller even though I know when i wonder out there i might get popped, just the compettitve nature in me. Can't help but think when he calls out Lucic he is bringing attention to the fact that his mates did nothing.

Buffalo fans arent mad at Lucic. They are disgusted with their team.Rightfully so. I'm just suprised the reaction on this board is negative towards Miller and not his team.

Sure ahould be fun next wednesday unless Shanny comes up with a B.S suspension to keep Lucic out of that game, that will be criminal in my mind.

Let Buffalo line up to get a beaten from him. They should have responded last game when they had the chance.

Man hug, shupe, stay safe brother.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Miller diagnosed with concussion:[QUOTE]Can you imagine Julien, Chirelli or Neely making comments to the press to try to lobby for the suspension of another player? Behind-the-scenes, sure. But to lobby the press is.....soft and weird. What happened to good ol' "We'll let the league handle this, we're focused on not giving up 6 goals and maybe winning the next game". Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Like Ray Shero in Florida at the GM meetings chasing Campbell around lobbying for Cooke. One of the better points on this thread Asmaha!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Yep, I have had a few concussions in the past and the onset was quick. But I have had mild ones that didnt kick in until about a couple hours had past. But my past experience from the other ones, made me know that I had another even after it took some time to set in. Dizzy and stars in my peripheral is a dead give away for me. Depending on the severity also, had me very nautious.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

kelvana... i think what people are surprised about is the fact that he chose that course of action(charging directly at lucic, who is charging directly at him)- rather than doing what goalies normally do when confronting a head on skater- dive forward and poke-check. he chose to not go that route, and that was his fault. don't be surprised if you get burned, when you put your hand over the fire. this is why you don't see goalies come out the dots standing up, they know they'll get smoked, or at least they risk the chance. miller seemed surprised that lucic(who he has to know, really enjoys the contact) bulled him over. lucic is not a shifty skater, he's a straight line guy, that's exactly what he got- a straight line.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]kelvana... i think what people are surprised about is the fact that he chose that course of action(charging directly at lucic, who is charging directly at him)- rather than doing what goalies normally do when confronting a head on skater- dive forward and poke-check. he chose to not go that route, and that was his fault. don't be surprised if you get burned, when you put your hand over the fire. this is why you don't see goalies come out the dots standing up, they know they'll get smoked, or at least they risk the chance. miller seemed surprised that lucic(who he has to know, really enjoys the contact) bulled him over. lucic is not a shifty skater, he's a straight line guy, that's exactly what he got- a straight line.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

Trust me I know. He's upset he got smoked. Lucic's fault, Millers fault, can't touch the goalie etc..doesn't really play into it.I know there is the rule and all but if I wonder out from my crease I know the chances of contact dramatically increase and it may be my fault. Hard to ask a guy coming full bore that all of a sudden he can't hit what is in front of him. I don't think it was a check, I think it was a collision with Miller coming out on the wrong end.  He's upset he got smoked, he hasn't played well latley. I think out of fustration he went after Lucic, I'd be willing to bet when he woke up Sunday morning he was more upset at a lack of response from his team.

Funny thing is, everytime we see a clean open ice hit by player versus player there is more of a reaction.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

this whole scenario reminds me of a kid with glasses that was assured he would never be punched in the face. you know, because he wears glasses. then when he PUTS HIMSELF in a situation that could get him popped, and does, asks "how could you...i wear glasses"- solution... if you wear glasses(goalies), don't put YOURSELF in a situation where your glasses could be knocked off your head. easy as that  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't really get the anger towards Miller here either.  I still like and respect the guy an awful lot, and I don't blame him one bit for being mad about it.

At this point though, that anger should be directed at: A) His teammates, who did nothing in response; and B) the Sabres trainer who apparently failed to diagnose a concussion despite a pretty thorough inspection right after the incident. 

IF Miller has a concussion, the Sabres trainer should be fired for keeping him in the game.