modification,please...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

modification,please...

It degrades the game even more when a player slows down to a crawl or stops before shooting the puck.

The player should have to skate in at game condition speed. Get the average time it takes to do it and set a time limit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

Re: modification,please...

In response to watchtower's comment:

It degrades the game even more when a player slows down to a crawl or stops before shooting the puck.

The player should have to skate in at game condition speed. Get the average time it takes to do it and set a time limit.

Bettman and the comp committee will have none of that.....they are doing everything they can to increase goals. Worse than the NFL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Do they have to sprint?  Goalies always have advantage.  Kane has crazy good hands and Toews is probably the best in the league in s-outs.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Do they have to sprint?  Goalies always have advantage.  Kane has crazy good hands and Toews is probably the best in the league in s-outs.  

Pretty lethal combo in that part of their game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Isn't there talk of getting rid of the s-h-o-o-t out or at least extending OT?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyhome. Show hockeyhome's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Isn't there talk of getting rid of the s-h-o-o-t out or at least extending OT?

They talking about adding a second 5 mins with it 3 on 3

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to hockeyhome's comment:

They talking about adding a second 5 mins with it 3 on 3

[/QUOTE]

People talk about the SO being a skills competetion. They say it's not a part of the game. In actuality it's like a penalty ?hot which occasionally happens during a game.

Think about it.

When's the last time you've seen 3 on 3 during the 60 minutes of action compared to seeing a penalty ?hot ?

When comparing the two , 3 on 3 is the anomaly.

P.S. this not being able to say  s      h      o    t        s     u      c     k    s.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The answer here isn't more rules on what you can and can't do in a penaltyshot.  It's get rid of the s/ootout.  It seems that will never happen, though; perception seems to be that the fans love it and it keeps them in the building to the end.  Not sure why they care if the casual fan stays to the final buzzer - beer kiosks are all closed long before then.  I hate it.  It's a gimmick.  I have no problems with the tie if it's a good game.  I come to watch the game, not to learn the result.  Was the tie ever an issue before some media talking head jumped on it?  Anyone remember the first time they heard (not felt) that there was something wrong with ties?

I've seen penaltyshots.  I've never seen six consecutive penaltyshots.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

The answer here isn't more rules on what you can and can't do in a penaltyshot.  It's get rid of the s/ootout.  It seems that will never happen, though; perception seems to be that the fans love it and it keeps them in the building to the end.  Not sure why they care if the casual fan stays to the final buzzer - beer kiosks are all closed long before then.  I hate it.  It's a gimmick.  I have no problems with the tie if it's a good game.  I come to watch the game, not to learn the result.  Was the tie ever an issue before some media talking head jumped on it?  Anyone remember the first time they heard (not felt) that there was something wrong with ties?

My problem with the present set-up is how many points are distributed per game. Presently one point is given to each team if at the end of regulation its a tie game.......then the extra point (the 3rd point) is given to the wining team overtime or s/ootout......So you have some games where 2 points are given and others where 3 points are given......not a well balanced point system.

I they want to keep the s/hootout then give 3 points to the team that wins in regulation or overtime. if it after the 5 minutes overtime there is still no winners then you give each a point and go to the gimick s/ootout for the 3rd point.......this way they would always give out 3 points per game....... what are your thoughts on this....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to bobruins' comment:

[QUOTE]

I agree with you that there was nothing wrong with a tie game........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I think to have a game like yesterday to end in a S-O was a travestry. I'm sorry, but for the amount of money I put into going to watch a game; I want to see a winner & loser. I wish they'd do a 4 on 4 for 8min, then a 3 on 3 for 5 before they go to a S-O though. I think as gimicky as the S-O is. There needs to be a draw for "new fans", so I understand the reasoning behind it, but I think they need to keep the game as "team oriented" as much as possible. But, as long as they only keep the S-O's to regular season I won't complain too much. I wish they'd at least adopt a 3 point system where you get 3 for a regulation win, 2 for a OT win & 1 for a S.O. ZERO, if you lose. But, now with so much parity; the league won't want too much of a gap as this puts the bottom feeders at a disadvantage of keeping, or growing their fanbase.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to bobruins's comment:

My problem with the present set-up is how many points are distributed per game. Presently one point is given to each team if at the end of regulation its a tie game.......then the extra point (the 3rd point) is given to the wining team overtime or s/ootout......So you have some games where 2 points are given and others where 3 points are given......not a well balanced point system.

I they want to keep the s/hootout then give 3 points to the team that wins in regulation or overtime. if it after the 5 minutes overtime there is still no winners then you give each a point and go to the gimick s/ootout for the 3rd point.......this way they would always give out 3 points per game....... what are your thoughts on this....

It's better than what is, but I just really dislike the s/o having any impact on the standings.  I really feel like what happens (and this is to your point about the game needing a winner, nite) that yesterday's game ended in a tie.  Period.  Then there was this bonus side-show attraction called a s/o, and somebody won that, but, nevertheless, the hockey game was a tie.  As far a I'm concerned, they could pick a number between one and ten, flip a coin, play boggle, or have Burt Reynolds and Dom DeLuise play Win, Lose or Draw, and somebody would win that, but not the hockey game. The standings should reflect the results of hockey games.

The only thing I can get my head around is having the s/o results tracked the way they currently track regulation/OT wins.  Make it the first tie-breaker.  If that's not significant enough for whatever reason, then add something else but don't have it affect the standings. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[/QUOTE]

I, or have Burt Reynolds and Dom DeLuise play Win, Lose or Draw, and somebody would win that, but not the hockey game. The standings should reflect the results of hockey games.

The only thing I can get my head around is having the s/o results tracked the way they currently track regulation/OT wins.  Make it the first tie-breaker.  If that's not significant enough for whatever reason, then add something else but don't have it affect the standings. 

[/QUOTE]

I would prefer Tic-Tac-Goal with Wink Martindale emceeing and the 2 coaches meet at center ice to play the game. Instead of X's and O's, they could use the team logo's and the winner gets the x-tra point.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to bobruins's comment:

It's better than what is, but I just really dislike the s/o having any impact on the standings.  I really feel like what happens (and this is to your point about the game needing a winner, nite) that yesterday's game ended in a tie.  Period.  Then there was this bonus side-show attraction called a s/o, and somebody won that, but, nevertheless, the hockey game was a tie.  As far a I'm concerned, they could pick a number between one and ten, flip a coin, play boggle, or have Burt Reynolds and Dom DeLuise play Win, Lose or Draw, and somebody would win that, but not the hockey game. The standings should reflect the results of hockey games.

I totally agree.......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

Penalty shots/ shootouts gets fans out of their seats to watch what's happening.

Ties get fans out of their seats to leave the building.

Kiss your sister !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

Need to get rid of the SO anyway. No game should have to be decided by this. If that was gone Toronto wouldn't have any points.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to NeelyOrr's comment:

Need to get rid of the SO anyway. No game should have to be decided by this. If that was gone Toronto wouldn't have any points.

Or Detroit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kivvak. Show kivvak's posts

I am not a big fan of deciding games with a skills competition, but if you remember why they introduced it in the first place you would realized it is not all that bad. back in the day when they had a single overtime and then the game would end in a tie if no one scored in OT, teams would often be in a position where it was better to take the point than risk not getting one at all by taking chances, so you would end up with teams playing prevent defence for the last two minutes of the game and the entire overtime. It was the most boring display of hockey you could imagine. I would much rather have the SO than go back to that.

Sections
Shortcuts