Montreal Newspaper: Nash to Rangers deal is close

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: Montreal Newspaper: Nash to Rangers deal is close

Kovy to NJ, he needed several months to adjust.  Nash to Rangers, better transition with Richards but me thinks it would not produce a Cup winner.  In that case the deal sukks for both teams.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Nash wasn't very good in the Olympics. He's not particularly good this year for Columbus.  He's points per game average is the same for both teams. I would expect it would be the same for another team, maybe a little better if he played with a good playmaker. The problem is that New York is having success this year not so much because of talent, but because Torts whips every player, and every player "blocks shots... everyone!" If you aren't questioning Rick Nash's commitment to that system and his willingness to step in front of a Zdeno Chara slapshot, you are delusional. I would question anyone's willingness to play that system, including many of the current Rangers who may tire of it. Rick Nash is no Selke candidate, and didn't like playing under Hitchock and his demanding ways. It's not to say that Nash wouldn't make a spectacular adjustment to the Rangers system, but if you're not questioning his ability to do so you have blinders on. His addition could very well disrupt their blue collar team unity. There are endless examples of teams adding an outstanding talent and being no better for it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

Isnt Rask a UFA next year or RFA? If he is a UFA couldn't we trade him and then give him a crazy contract to get him back?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Using your block shot theory above, CJs system would have to be questioned as well.  Just maybe, this is the reason for the mid winter malaise both last year and next.  Good thoughts Oates in either the Bs or Rangers case.  

As for Nash, I am pleased the Rangers will pick him up. He could be great with Richards but....transitioning to another team is just tough in a short period of time.  Timing on the line changes caused by the trade, and adding Torts system, well, naturally it will take longer.  If the Bs can win the division all is moot, for the Rangers just may have to play the likes of the Washington Caps. Now I like that better! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Horton was a minus player in the two years before coming to the Bruins.........

I might be wrong (happens once in a blue moon) but I don't see Nash ruining the chemistry of the team and I see the Rangers getting better. Trading for a guy of Nash's caliber at the trade deadline gives the team a boost that management is doing everything it can to push for a cup this year.

The real question for those that think Nash will be a negative for the Rangers is this - who would you rather have Nash or Dubinsky?

If you are the Rangers who can bury bad contracts in the minors (Redden) then you really have limited risk in this deal. For a team that wants it this year, it's a good deal. Whether it will be good over the long term is anyone's guess but the Rangers can continue to buy players so development isn't the only way to be competitive.

I'd love to say it would make the Rangers work but I just can't make that argument.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Unless CBJ are completely fed up with Nash, and can't stand the possibility of hanging on to him for another 6 weeks, they're not getting much back in the Ranger scenario.  Doesn't seem reasonable to me, cuz I'd asume there would be much better offers for the Jackets to consider.  One such example occured yesterday, with their LA trade.
    If this potential deal is in the works, it will make the Rangers a much stronger team, simply because there is no element of subtraction to consider, just the down-the road-economics.
    If it takes much less to get Nash, than Carter, it's obvious the entire league is terrified with his contract.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I never said Nash would be a negative. I said he may be a negative. Big difference. There are a few people that are saying you add Nash to the Bruins or Rangers and the team becomes way better and Nash starts scoring way more. What I'm saying is the outcomes are impossible to predict. Everyone thought Nash and Crosby would play great at the Olympics. They didn't. They had no chemistry. Crosby and Iginla worked out way better because they both think the game well. I also think Nash makes way more sense for the Rangers than he does for the Bruins.  Boston has lots of offence and 4 outstanding wings - 5 if you count Peverley. New York does not have Boston's talent level and offensive skill. If they give up Dubinsky to get Nash, that's probably a good move for them. Dub makes way too much money for what he contributes, so if you are going to overpay on him you might as well over pay on Nash instead. It's not no-risk though. Nash has a no-movement until 2015 - they can't hide him in the minors. And there is the possibility that bringing in the star wing will disrupt what has been a very focused and self-sacrificing team.  That's just human nature.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Newspaper: Nash to Rangers deal is close:
    In Response to Re: Montreal Newspaper: Nash to Rangers deal is close : So true, and that is what will happen. The Rangers will go backwards. Better them than us.
    Posted by Wheatskins

Unless the Rangers get rid of a top4 D (Michael Del Zotto or Ryan Mc Donough) , a top 6 fwd (Brandon Dubinsky ) , a prospect and also maybe a Brian Boyle or Prust.  Adding Nash they will not go backwards.
    If Sather gets his way and they lose only one important roster player and all the prospects mentioned you can bet the Rangers will make it to the finals. Of course barring no major injury to any star player, Lundqvist being no1.
    I have to agree with Olsonic

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I dont think the Rangers go backwards this year.  But its very possible thatthey wind up regretting the trade.  As nrguy points out, the Rangers will probably have to bury bad contracts in the minors to make cap room.  While this works from a cap room perspective, it does hurt NY's profits.  Remember, this is a business.

Additionally, even if they do bury the bad contracts to make room, they are still not going to have a lot of flexibility to acquire free agents going forward due to cap constraints.  So how are they going to add pieces to future NY teams?  They will not have CAP room to go out and get free agents.  Also, they wont be to adding pieces to the NHL team through the farm since they are emptying it out for Nash.

At first blush, it looks like a good move for the short term , but a bad move for the long term.  I agree that adding Nash will help make a cup run this year (and probably next), but I do think that the move will hurt them after that.

So pretty much, its a gamble.  They are acquiring a good player (who has plateau'd) for a cup run.  However, they have to a) dump bad contracts in the minors to make room , b) trade away prospects and picks and c) deal with cap issues going forward.  I think that if they win the cup this year or next, it will ultimately be viewed as a good move.  But if they dont....

As I said, its a gamble.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillsBruins. Show WillsBruins's posts

Remember when Mc Ilrath was drafted, everybody on TSN panel was shocked when Rangers took him at 10. Cam Fowler was at that time still available.
    Seems like NYR has a different evaluation of him than the rest of the world. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Newspaper: Nash to Rangers deal is close:
    Remember when Mc Ilrath was drafted, everybody on TSN panel was shocked when Rangers took him at 10. Cam Fowler was at that time still available. Seems like NYR has a different evaluation of him than the rest of the world. 
    Posted by WillsBruins

Brandon Gormley was available too. I distinctly remember Pierre McGuire about to go absolutely ape sh*t if Anaheim and Phoenix didn't take Fowler and Gormley, respectively, because of how far they had slipped.

Sections
Shortcuts