Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsfanforever. Show Bruinsfanforever's posts

Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373552

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Re: Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges

This thread stinks.  Not because of the thread itself, but because it never should have come to this!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

Give me a frigging break. This is from a crybaby city that can't stand the fact that the Bruins won the Stanley Cup and have to use anything to give it to the Bruins. Hope those morons close this case as soon as possible.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

The NHL could have prevented all of this, if it had simply done the right thing and handed Chara a typical 'slap on the wrist' 2-game suspension and had it over with.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthBruins. Show NorthBruins's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges:
    [QUOTE]from a canadian  I can say I am not surprised   The majority  of Quebecois  are A##HOLES    The  look into by police  is a joke   MAKES THE COPS LOOK LIKE PANZIES bruins rule   REPEAT PLEASE AND INCLUDE A HAB BRUIN  RE MATCH
    Posted by mrbruin4[/QUOTE]

Shut up the canadian. I'm a Quebecois bruins fan for more than 40 years. A## yourself. A damn racist like you should not call himself mrbruin4. Talk hockey or shut up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigChara. Show BigChara's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges:
    [QUOTE]The NHL could have prevented all of this, if it had simply done the right thing and handed Chara a typical 'slap on the wrist' 2-game suspension and had it over with.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Chara didn't deserve a suspension of any kind, but you should be banned for life for saying incredibly stupid things. Go back to worshipping your Sedin dolls.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

This joke is not funny anymore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]The NHL could have prevented all of this, if it had simply done the right thing and handed Chara a typical 'slap on the wrist' 2-game suspension and had it over with.

And then you wonder.....!!! You can honestly say that hit was dirty? Had it been Bieksa delivering that hit, would you have said the same thing? Doubt it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The lawyer in the story - and I've never heard of this guy, so he could be the most polyesther clad ambulance chaser in Quebec - sounds like an opportunist.  Ask a lawyer if someone should press charges and he'll say yes.  Why?  Because that's how lawyers buy beemers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges : And then you wonder.....!!! You can honestly say that hit was dirty? Had it been Bieksa delivering that hit, would you have said the same thing? Doubt it!
    Posted by Ronstar8[/QUOTE]

"This is just an interference penalty, an interference hit. If it was immediate after he released the puck, it would be a legal hit. We have them all the time. So the key components are: the late hit, which I had it close to a second late. We have our own formula at NHL Hockey Operations for determining late hits, and it was late. We saw the seriousness of the injury."

These are the words from Mike Murphy as he was justifying the 4-game suspension during the Stanley Cup Finals to Aaron Rome.  The same words could be used to describe the Chara hit. 

At this point, I'm NOT arguing that the Rome suspension was unwarranted.  But if Boston fans are arguing that the Chara hit deserved no suspension, then how can they argue that the Rome hit deserved 4 Cup Final games?

In my view, Boston fans, you can't have it both ways.  Both hits were clearly interference, and were penalized as such, with no argument from anyone. Both hits can be argued as malicious, but could just as easily be argued as "a hockey play gone wrong".  And both plays resulted in significant injuries.  Again, I'm not saying that the Rome suspension was wrong.  I'm saying that a double standard appears to be in evidence here.  And THAT is wrong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

49-North

I appreciate the attempt to rationize the Rome hit vs. the Chara hit, and even try to do it objectionally.  The difference is, the Boston police didn't investigate the Rome hit for potential criminal charges because the fans whined about it.  

And spare me the theatrics, Canada already tried to prosecute one Bruin (though really a King) and lost. Plus, you ever hear of a guy named Steve Moore?  I don't think that goonery was investigated by the law (maybe I'm mistaken on this point, correct me if I'm wrong).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges : "This is just an interference penalty, an interference hit. If it was immediate after he released the puck, it would be a legal hit. We have them all the time. So the key components are: the late hit, which I had it close to a second late. We have our own formula at NHL Hockey Operations for determining late hits, and it was late. We saw the seriousness of the injury." These are the words from Mike Murphy as he was justifying the 4-game suspension during the Stanley Cup Finals to Aaron Rome.  The same words could be used to describe the Chara hit.  At this point, I'm NOT arguing that the Rome suspension was unwarranted.  But if Boston fans are arguing that the Chara hit deserved no suspension, then how can they argue that the Rome hit deserved 4 Cup Final games? In my view, Boston fans, you can't have it both ways.  Both hits were clearly interference, and were penalized as such, with no argument from anyone. Both hits can be argued as malicious, but could just as easily be argued as "a hockey play gone wrong".  And both plays resulted in significant injuries.  Again, I'm not saying that the Rome suspension was wrong.  I'm saying that a double standard appears to be in evidence here.  And THAT is wrong.

This is the full-on garbage that continues to keep me railing against vancouver "fans."

If you honestly think that high, late hit to the head is remotely comparable to hitting a guy into the boards, that happened to be at the stanchion, you should just move to Montreal.

There's nothing "having it both  ways" about it.  I fully expect crybaby Habs fans and crybaby Canuck fans to keep selling this drivel, but do us all a favor and sell it to some board that won't laugh.

Why do you keep coming here with this garbage?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

PS: another difference between the hits:

-after the Canadien was hurt, the Habs withered away and died (after calling 911)

-after Horton was hit, the Bruins woke up and beat the crap out of your team for 4 of the next 5 games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges : "This is just an interference penalty, an interference hit. If it was immediate after he released the puck, it would be a legal hit. We have them all the time. So the key components are: the late hit, which I had it close to a second late. We have our own formula at NHL Hockey Operations for determining late hits, and it was late. We saw the seriousness of the injury." These are the words from Mike Murphy as he was justifying the 4-game suspension during the Stanley Cup Finals to Aaron Rome.  The same words could be used to describe the Chara hit.  At this point, I'm NOT arguing that the Rome suspension was unwarranted.  But if Boston fans are arguing that the Chara hit deserved no suspension, then how can they argue that the Rome hit deserved 4 Cup Final games? In my view, Boston fans, you can't have it both ways.  Both hits were clearly interference, and were penalized as such, with no argument from anyone. Both hits can be argued as malicious, but could just as easily be argued as "a hockey play gone wrong".  And both plays resulted in significant injuries.  Again, I'm not saying that the Rome suspension was wrong.  I'm saying that a double standard appears to be in evidence here.  And THAT is wrong.

You making this comparison shows that you truly are no better than the OTHER Canuck fans!! Not even in the same ballpark for making a comparison here! Keep up the good work though; pretty soon all those that like you here will be saying goodbye!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Okay, so, rather than just lay into ol' 49, let's review.

Chara and Paccioretty were already engaged - no surprise element to the contact other than that the stanchion was there.  If Chara only makes the first contact with Pacciorety, it's maybe a 2 minute interference penalty.  Second contact is what sent MP into the boards/stanchion.  That contact as not a "hit" because the two players were already engaged and Chara didn't alter his course from basically parallel to MP to intersecting with MP.  What he did was shove the guy.  The first contact didn't knock him down, so he shoved him.  It was the kind of shove you see 100 times in a hockey game, an action so routine in front of the net that if it constituted intent to injure, I'd be warming up for the day when so many players were suspended they'd be looking anyone who knew the rules to fill in.

The actual injuries MP suffered were caused by contact with an external object.  Anywhere else on the ice, the are no injuries involved in the play.  It's a 2 min. interference penalty at most.  In many buildings, there are no injuries even with the stanchion because the stanchions are padded properly.  Someone should do a count of how many players are run into stanchions in a year - I'd bet it happens every second night of the schedule.  Only MP was injured that severely and only Montreal prosecuted the guy who made the contact.

Rome, on the other hand, threw a hit that was a full second late.  It was aimed at the head.  The players' were heading in nearly 180 degree opposite directions, so the end point was a collision that brought all of the force into the point of collision.  Horton was unaware of the hit because the players were not previously engaged in a race or battle for the puck.  It was a predatory hit, late, on a guy looking the other way (which also makes it cowardly).  No one in Boston called 911.  And in terms of response from the Bruins, see SoxFan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Nice post Book, if you add the countless number of videos including MP where the police took no action prior to Chara hit, then the whole prosecution angle is "homerism".  

The Montreal Police Department is somewhat like the London's police action right now!  Misguided and egregiously wasting time and energy on pacifiying rather than going after "real" law breakers.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Hey 49 north! HOW IS THAT BIG CANUCK CHOKE TREATING YOU

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I for one, appreciate divergent views from fans of other teams.  One of the reasons, is because it reminds me how illogical homers can be.  Your comments above, as a competitive homer... really drive that home.  Using the Rome hit as a comparable, is ridiculous.  Book did a nice job explaining why, no need for more there.
    What is wasteful, misguided, stupidity here...is assuming this thing should be in the courts.  If the dumbest graduate, of the poorest law school in the land...couldn't walk in and win this one for Chara.....they have no business being a lawyer.
     Does anyone realize how the system works?  Does anyone realize how much public money has already been spent on this?  I'm sure it's well into six figures.

Anybody here remember the Chicago lawyer who initiated a suit against his dry cleaner for losing 1 pair of his pants?  The good lawyer was looking for 8 digits.  that's right, tens of millions of dollars.  Amazingly, this process was moving right along until the national news media exposed the laughability of the whole thing, the plight of the poor immigrant dry cleaners, and their attempt to pacify this jerk.  Only then, did the system step in and quash things, and it was only because the "publicity", not the action, caused embarrassment to every judge and lawyer in the country. 
    Unfortunately...these guys don't embarrass easily.

The city often considered the most corrupt in North America, really has more pressing crime issues.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]The lawyer in the story - and I've never heard of this guy, so he could be the most polyesther clad ambulance chaser in Quebec - sounds like an opportunist.  Ask a lawyer if someone should press charges and he'll say yes.  Why?  Because that's how lawyers buy beemers.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Working with the RCMP I will say I agree with you 100%.  However, this is the Crown and they may back off this.  Some basic pts to consider, intent, public interest and elements of the offense.  I know the criminal code pretty well and sure they might be able to tag an assault causing bodily harm but there is no way in heck they can prove it.  ZERO!  Sure they can play different angles but reasonable doubt is all you need.  And there is no way the Crown can present a case that is sure fire.  I say the crown doesnt run it.  They may be ambulance chasers but they also want sure things.  They are force fed by the police and usually will fight a sure thing, plea a questionable and run like a dog with its tail tucked in if they don't think they will win. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges : Working with the RCMP I will say I agree with you 100%.  However, this is the Crown and they may back off this.  Some basic pts to consider, intent, public interest and elements of the offense.  I know the criminal code pretty well and sure they might be able to tag an assault causing bodily harm but there is no way in heck they can prove it.  ZERO!  Sure they can play different angles but reasonable doubt is all you need.  And there is no way the Crown can present a case that is sure fire.  I say the crown doesnt run it.  They may be ambulance chasers but they also want sure things.  They are force fed by the police and usually will fight a sure thing, plea a questionable and run like a dog with its tail tucked in if they don't think they will win. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

One would assume the crown will find something better to do, however, this is Quebec.  To even get to this point, logic had to go right out the door.
    You mentioned "public interest', and that could be the area that decides things.  Interestingly, the double speak spewed from the interviewed lawyer, suggested even an aquital would be a great service to mankind, as it would somehow elevate awareness of the crusade.  Unfortunately, I think many in that province would agree.
    Prosecuters are lawyers too, and the chance to be in on this one would deliver national prominance, and even losing could easily bolster the political, and economic landscape of any social climber lucky enough to get in.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from drooski50. Show drooski50's posts

THIS IS THE FUNNIEST JOKE I EVER HEARD

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

[QUOTE]Nice post Book, if you add the countless number of videos including MP where the police took no action prior to Chara hit, then the whole prosecution angle is "homerism".   The Montreal Police Department is somewhat like the London's police action right now!  Misguided and egregiously wasting time and energy on pacifiying rather than going after "real" law breakers.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Agree, the montreal police shouldn't have gotton involved. What a CROC. Whats next, any players have a fight on the ice will also be charged by police? This is typical of montreal. Sore loosers! Yes SORE LOOSERS!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

I think the whole province of Queerbec is facked. The players dive, the fans are ret.arded (I mean really, calling 911???), their media are whiny cybabies, and their police and crown are the mother of all dumb.as-ses. And that Louis Dionne? He's the biggest shiteater of all. Too bad Chara didn't smash him into a stanchion! Put a jersey on him!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In a particular way, I agree with 49N. Not that I believe it was warranted, but if they made Z sit a game we would not be hearing about this ridiculous nonsense 6 months later.

I also still can't believe the Montreal Police even opened up this can of stupidity. An utter waste of time and money. Go fight some crime for chrissakes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges : One would assume the crown will find something better to do, however, this is Quebec.  To even get to this point, logic had to go right out the door. You mentioned "public interest', and that could be the area that decides things.  Interestingly, the double speak spewed from the interviewed lawyer, suggested even an aquital would be a great service to mankind, as it would somehow elevate awareness of the crusade.  Unfortunately, I think many in that province would agree. Prosecuters are lawyers too, and the chance to be in on this one would deliver national prominance, and even losing could easily bolster the political, and economic landscape of any social climber lucky enough to get in.
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

Steve,

Very good point.  In most cases that are difficult in nature the police will seek guidance.  In this case it appears they are passing the buck.  I don't need crown approval to lay a charge.  I simply lay the charge.  I believe the police are using the crown prosecution as a dumping ground so they don't get the heat.  And in turn the crown simply states there isnt enough to run a trial.  That is my bet.  I could see it going the other way with a 2cent lawyer trying to make a name for himself.  But I believe it is a double edged sword.  I say it will be concluded.