Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges

Actually, I completely disagree with 49's point.  If the NHL had suspended Chara, it would mean the NHL considered his actions to be outside the realm of acceptable conduct - more than a penalty for an action that somehow unfairly altered play, they'd be tagging Chara with going beyond the scope of competition.  That's why you suspend - not because someone got hurt.  Now, flash back to when 911 got involved.  It wasn't after the announcement Chara was receiving no supplemental discipline; it was right after the game.  And it wasn't one person or one or two cranks - it was hundreds or even thousands of calls like the French Revolution was about to start again.  So there's no way the legal side of this goes away because the NHL suspended Chara.  Instead, the possibility of Chara being prosecuted would go up because the authority for deciding what is and what is not within the NHL rules of conduct would have determined that Chara exceeded those rules. 

Moronic, the whole thing. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"This is typical of montreal. Sore loosers! Yes SORE LOOSERS" - NeelyOrr

Should I ask why Montreal is Sore and Looser?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges:
    [QUOTE]"This is typical of montreal. Sore loosers! Yes SORE LOOSERS" - NeelyOrr Should I ask why Montreal is Sore and Looser?
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

You seem smart enough to figure that out all by yourself!!!!!!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges:
    [QUOTE]In a particular way, I agree with 49N. Not that I believe it was warranted, but if they made Z sit a game we would not be hearing about this ridiculous nonsense 6 months later. I also still can't believe the Montreal Police even opened up this can of stupidity. An utter waste of time and money. Go fight some crime for chrissakes.
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

Completely disagree! You do not punish a guy for fear of what may happen in the city know as the biggest cry babies in the league if he's not suspended. You suspend him if he deserves it. That's it. That's the bottom line. 

Everyone knows if that hit happened anywhere else on the ice, there would have been no injury. And, had it happened anywhere else in the world, there would not have been whining & crying. I'm originally from Montreal and I can tell you that the fans & media were talking about the hit everyday for about a month after the fact! Only in Montreal are the fans so ridiculous...... well, Montreal & Vancouver!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]"This is typical of montreal. Sore loosers! Yes SORE LOOSERS" - NeelyOrr Should I ask why Montreal is Sore and Looser?

I believe it's because that's how the french say "losers"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Actually, I completely disagree with 49's point.  If the NHL had suspended Chara, it would mean the NHL considered his actions to be outside the realm of acceptable conduct - more than a penalty for an action that somehow unfairly altered play, they'd be tagging Chara with going beyond the scope of competition.  That's why you suspend - not because someone got hurt.  Now, flash back to when 911 got involved.  It wasn't after the announcement Chara was receiving no supplemental discipline; it was right after the game.  And it wasn't one person or one or two cranks - it was hundreds or even thousands of calls like the French Revolution was about to start again.  So there's no way the legal side of this goes away because the NHL suspended Chara.  Instead, the possibility of Chara being prosecuted would go up because the authority for deciding what is and what is not within the NHL rules of conduct would have determined that Chara exceeded those rules.  Moronic, the whole thing. 
    I think this is the most important statement in the whole thread! Attaboi Book!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Shupe, in your experience how often do cases that are defferred by the police to the Crown Prosecutor actually result in charges?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I see 49 Norths point on this, If Chara had been suspended, it is a dead issue after...But, there is a reason the NHL did not suspend him, and we've been over it a thousand times. Not coming after you 49, I actually enjoy your threads, but it is apples to oranges when compared to the Rome hit..Trying hard not to sound like a homer, but the Bieska hit was a second if that, late, which to me doesnt matter either way. it was a head shot. 3 years ago bieska gets a major and maybe a game, maybe..But he delivered it at a time when head shots are the hot topic and and thats what got him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges : Steve, Very good point.  In most cases that are difficult in nature the police will seek guidance.  In this case it appears they are passing the buck.  I don't need crown approval to lay a charge.  I simply lay the charge.  I believe the police are using the crown prosecution as a dumping ground so they don't get the heat.  And in turn the crown simply states there isnt enough to run a trial.  That is my bet.  I could see it going the other way with a 2cent lawyer trying to make a name for himself.  But I believe it is a double edged sword.  I say it will be concluded. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Also Shupe, This may be a little conspiracy minded, but since in a criminal case the defendant is not compensated for legal expenditures, do you think it's possible that the CP would be corrupt enough to lay charges just to screw with Chara and punish him financially? I covered a CP in Winnipeg who was accused (and eventually disbarred) for doing this - pressing chargesagainst people he personally disliked just to punish them financially when he knew he did not have a winnable case.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I am totally fine with people disagreeing about the suspension piece. I didn't think it was a suspendable offense either, but the point is, IMO it would have been a worthwhile tradeoff to see the back of this whole ridiculous nonsense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The only successful on-ice related conviction I know of is Marty McSorley, and he ultimately pled guilty and received community service. There is NO way that the Chara hit comes within miles of being comporable to the McSorley incident.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]The only successful on-ice related conviction I know of is Marty McSorley, and he ultimately pled guilty and received community service. There is NO way that the Chara hit comes within miles of being comporable to the McSorley incident.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Ciccarelli did a day in jail for clubbing Luke Richardson over the head with his stick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I hear you se, but for the reasons explained above, there's no way a suspension would have changed the Montreal response in the immediate wake of the game.

Oh, and no one has mentioned that the decision not to try Bertuzzi for assault was made by authorities in Vancouver.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Regardless of the argument about the NHL's interpretation of the hit, I think it's ridiculous that the police and crown attorneys have gotten involved.  I didn't agree with it on the Bertuzzi case, the McSorley case, and I dont' agree with it in the Chara case.

I think I can get some agreement on my point that all fans (and players, and management) wish that the NHL would show some consistency on their interpretation of "bad hits" vs. "hockey plays gone wrong", so that everyone understands where the line is, and what happens when you cross it.

The one thing which we fans never know is: what was going on in the player's head just before the hit?  Did Chara know that the stanchion was there, and did he realize that, if he gave Pachioretty a shove, that his head would go straight into the stanchion?  Did Rome intend to knock Horton out of the game with a late hit?  And how much does the NHL consider "intent", or "apparent intent" when they dish out supplemental discipline? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"Did Chara know that the stanchion was there, and did he realize that, if he gave Pachioretty a shove, that his head would go straight into the stanchion?" 

Sorry, but this is a ridiculous question.  Maybe Chara knew the stanchion was there, but nothing he did prevented MP from knowing the same thing and protecting himself on a hockey play.  Everyone who thinks Chara should have been suspended said "he has to know where he is..." but no one ever seems to have applied the same standard to MP.  He also has to know where he is and maybe get his arms up to protect his head, or stop trying to recover from the initial contact and continue past Chara to the puck because it would be reckless for him to do so.  Short of Chara performing a WWE turnbuckle slam, this was a nothing play gone wrong.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

it has nothing to do about quebecois...I am from Montreal as well ...it has to do about being a habs fan ...they always over react ...and they are a bunch of crying babies cause they cant win the cup anymore ...same as those canucks fans ..because of them Looch wont go public with the Cup in his home town ...

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]"Did Chara know that the stanchion was there, and did he realize that, if he gave Pachioretty a shove, that his head would go straight into the stanchion?"  Sorry, but this is a ridiculous question.  Maybe Chara knew the stanchion was there, but nothing he did prevented MP from knowing the same thing and protecting himself on a hockey play.  Everyone who thinks Chara should have been suspended said "he has to know where he is..." but no one ever seems to have applied the same standard to MP.  He also has to know where he is and maybe get his arms up to protect his head, or stop trying to recover from the initial contact and continue past Chara to the puck because it would be reckless for him to do so.  Short of Chara performing a WWE turnbuckle slam, this was a nothing play gone wrong.
    Exactly BB. If Chara knew where he was on the ice, so did MP. Maybe next time MP should think twice about trying to get around a 7', 260 lb Norris trophy winner, at least if he knows he could be driven into the ( padded ) stanchion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]it has nothing to do about quebecois...I am from Montreal as well ...it has to do about being a habs fan ...they always over react ...and they are a bunch of crying babies cause they cant win the cup anymore ...same as those canucks fans ..because of them Looch wont go public with the Cup in his home town ... Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011[/QUOTE]

+1

I would also like to add nucks and habs fans are a discrace to their great country. They both have showed this by booing our national anthems in games in their barn as well as rioting and looting for stupid reasons. On the bright side if those two idiot fan basses and their citys keep acting stupid and their players keep being diving cheapshot artitsts. They will remain in hockey hell KARMA IS A B tch.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigChara. Show BigChara's posts

[QUOTE]it has nothing to do about quebecois...I am from Montreal as well ...it has to do about being a habs fan ...they always over react ...and they are a bunch of crying babies cause they cant win the cup anymore ...same as those canucks fans ..because of them Looch wont go public with the Cup in his home town ... Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011[/QUOTE]

Hey Stanley, no offence intended to you or the handful of other Bruins fans on this site who live in Quebec. I painted with a broad brush in my post, but you're not typical of Montrealers. Heck, you're even a Bruins fan. Cheers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

OK, I'm really trying to be rational here, but I can't really believe that I'm reading that Pacioretty "should have known the stanchion was there and should have tried to avoid it". 

Seriously?

When I even attempted to suggest that Horton should have kept his head up after he made the pass and was hit by Rome, I was shouted down so fast, I can still hear the echoes in my computer. 

So, if Rome is 100% to blame for that hit, and Horton is 100% blameless, then how is Pacioretty partially to blame for his injury?  I watched that hit again, at full speed, then frame by frame, and it's pretty clear that Pacioretty has no 'escape route' (really, when it's Chara blocking the route, you have no choice as to where you're going).  The play happens so fast, and that stanchion is in Pacioretty's face so quickly, that he had no way out.

I'm not saying that Chara maliciously set out to break Pacioretty's vertebrae, but to blame the victim -- that makes no sense. 

I know that I'm talking to a group of homers here, so I won't change your mind, but you've got to see that the "Pacioretty should have avoided it" argument makes zero sense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Police hand Chara file to Prosecutor to decide on any charges:[QUOTE]The lawyer in the story -  Ask a lawyer if someone should press charges and he'll say yes.  Why?  Because that's how lawyers buy beemers.Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Porcupine have the pri¢ks on the outside, beemers have pri¢ks...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I don't think either player had a choice in what happened. Both players were too engaged to realize where the stanchion was. The contact that was made at that moment happened too fast for either of them to get out it.
    What I don't understand is how the Montreal fans forget that MP got a hitting from behind penalty earlier in the season. There's more talk about that type of hit getting out of the game. I don't recall after ANY GM meetings where it was discussed about no hitting near the stanchion wasn't allowed. ONLY talk about fixing them. Montreal was told numerous times to fix them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]OK, I'm really trying to be rational here, but I can't really believe that I'm reading that Pacioretty "should have known the stanchion was there and should have tried to avoid it".  Seriously? When I even attempted to suggest that Horton should have kept his head up after he made the pass and was hit by Rome, I was shouted down so fast, I can still hear the echoes in my computer.  So, if Rome is 100% to blame for that hit, and Horton is 100% blameless, then how is Pacioretty partially to blame for his injury?  I watched that hit again, at full speed, then frame by frame, and it's pretty clear that Pacioretty has no 'escape route' (really, when it's Chara blocking the route, you have no choice as to where you're going).  The play happens so fast, and that stanchion is in Pacioretty's face so quickly, that he had no way out. I'm not saying that Chara maliciously set out to break Pacioretty's vertebrae, but to blame the victim -- that makes no sense.  I know that I'm talking to a group of homers here, so I won't change your mind, but you've got to see that the "Pacioretty should have avoided it" argument makes zero sense.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

49th, think on what you said, if Chara supposedly knew where the stanchion was, then logically so did MP! If he did and saw Hal Gill use the same stanchion three or so months early to lead a player into the stanchion then why didn't the Montreal Police Department do something then?  The fact is the physical structure of the Bell Centre is more of a familiarity for Montreal players than Bruins players, and your argument has no validity at all.  It was a hockey play!  Rome on the other hand was head hunting in the middle of the ice! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]OK, I'm really trying to be rational here, but I can't really believe that I'm reading that Pacioretty "should have known the stanchion was there and should have tried to avoid it".  Seriously? When I even attempted to suggest that Horton should have kept his head up after he made the pass and was hit by Rome, I was shouted down so fast, I can still hear the echoes in my computer.  So, if Rome is 100% to blame for that hit, and Horton is 100% blameless, then how is Pacioretty partially to blame for his injury?  I watched that hit again, at full speed, then frame by frame, and it's pretty clear that Pacioretty has no 'escape route' (really, when it's Chara blocking the route, you have no choice as to where you're going).  The play happens so fast, and that stanchion is in Pacioretty's face so quickly, that he had no way out. I'm not saying that Chara maliciously set out to break Pacioretty's vertebrae, but to blame the victim -- that makes no sense.  I know that I'm talking to a group of homers here, so I won't change your mind, but you've got to see that the "Pacioretty should have avoided it" argument makes zero sense.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]
    Max had the choice to try to jump by Chara for a breakaway or slam the brakes on. He knew Chara was with him on the play as they were both skating in the same direction. The only similarities between the 2 hits is the fact they were both called interference.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

I think the city of Montreal has bigger problems, like hospitals that smell of mould and overpasses falling on motorists.  What a joke.  Those idiot frogs in office have destroyed what is a beautiful part of North America.  Now they are just a joke. 

I hope Thornton breaks Pacioretty and Subban's faces in the same game.  Saturday October 29th.  I will be there.