More Iginla speculation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

More Iginla speculation

Notanything overly new, but it keeps coming up
    http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=381533#YourCallTop

My question is, let's say they do want to send him to a contender, who is a bonafide contender that has the cap space and the assets that the Flames would likely want in return (young talent, quality prospects and/or draft picks)?

To me there are basically three teams that meet those criteria - the Blackhawks, Wild and the Bruins. What would you consider for Iggy? Remembering it appears that the Flames would want something to build on for their future - that means a good young roster player, some quality prospects and likely a pick.
    Would something like McQuaid, Pouliot (solely for the roster spot and cap space) Knight, KoKo and a first do it?(I'd be fine with two firsts actually) Not enough or too much?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: More Iginla speculation

Why would they want to send him to a contender?  Why would they care?  I think the only thing they'd be interested in would be what they were getting in return.

Either way, I can't imagine a team that is playing as well as the Bruins would make a trade for a high priced 35 year old player with one year left on the contract (after this one).  Where would he play?  Who's ice time, on a team that is in the upper echelon of the league, would get cut?

It makes no sense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The idea is that they'd want to pull a Bourque, as the article talks about, to give him his Cup shot. And on our team, put with Kelly and Pevs, and have what would come close to being a 1a, 1b, and 1c line. For a 34 year-old player, that would improve this team for the next two seasons, and then be replaceable by what's in the pipeline after two years, without damaging the future much, to me it doesn't sound an unreasonable move.

Not sure if it makes the most sense for the B's,but if they are in fact looking at moving him, shouldn't it at least be considered?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation:
    [QUOTE]Why would they want to send him to a contender?  Why would they care?  I think the only thing they'd be interested in would be what they were getting in return. Either way, I can't imagine a team that is playing as well as the Bruins would make a trade for a high priced 35 year old player with one year left on the contract (after this one).  Where would he play?  Who's ice time, on a team that is in the upper echelon of the league, would get cut? It makes no sense.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Nas, he's got the NTC so that means he's unlikely to waive it for just anyone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

too much, I would love to have Iginla in the B's uniform but not at that price no way we would give McQuaid not even McQuaid one on one for Igy.....Iginla is not getting any younger ...i would offer Hamill + our next year 1st round pick ....nothing more Stanley Cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Love the idea of adding Iginla.

Hate the idea of what it would take to get him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Love the idea of adding Iginla. Hate the idea of what it would take to get him.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

I basically agree Crowls, but due to our cap space, team strength, and large amount of youth with strong prospects, we're likely one of the few teams that could afford the asking price without it impacting our future that much. Sort of a cost-benefit analysis, and I think with Iggy as our ninth forward, we'd be in shape to fulfill Stan's prediction of a three-peat. And Stanley - Iggy was sixth in scoring last year in the league - he may be slipping a bit, but McQuaid straight up wouldn't even come close. It would be a costly trade.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]The idea is that they'd want to pull a Bourque, as the article talks about, to give him his Cup shot.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Iginla isn't anywhere near the same level as Bourque.

And yes, NTC and all, he'll probably veto a deal to the Panthers or the Coyotes, but I can't imagine he'd decline a decent city with a decent team.

If he's available, should it be considered?  I say no.  This B's team is pretty tight with the top six wingers.  If any move was made for a great player, I think the spot between Lucic and Horton would be the needed upgrade. 

I'm sure the B's aren't going to put a guy who makes $7M/yr and scored 43 goals last year on the third line.  Iginla is a first line player.  Horton would have to go the other way, along with prospects and/or picks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Iginala is definitely a hall of famer, and he's put up with a lot of crap over the past few years (dunno how it takes a team 4+years to find a decent center). All the while, he has towed the party line without so much as a peep of dissatisfaction. That's gotta remind you of bourque.

I agree with the rest of your points though, there really isn't a place to put the guy, especially with that big of a cap hit. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Just now heard an interview and he said he honestly does not want to move and yes he has a NTC.
    If Calgary does ask him to waive his NTC it'll most likely up and around trade deadline.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

I think that's the wrong combo and in a way too much. I'd rather send Suave, a roster player (not Bergeron, Seguin, Chara, Marchand), and a 1st if the player is a UFA to be.

In Response to More Iginla speculation:
    [QUOTE]Notanything overly new, but it keeps coming up http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=381533#YourCallTop My question is, let's say they do want to send him to a contender, who is a bonafide contender that has the cap space and the assets that the Flames would likely want in return (young talent, quality prospects and/or draft picks)? To me there are basically three teams that meet those criteria - the Blackhawks, Wild and the Bruins. What would you consider for Iggy? Remembering it appears that the Flames would want something to build on for their future - that means a good young roster player, some quality prospects and likely a pick. Would something like McQuaid, Pouliot (solely for the roster spot and cap space) Knight, KoKo and a first do it?(I'd be fine with two firsts actually) Not enough or too much?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Iginala is definitely a hall of famer, and he's put up with a lot of crap over the past few years (dunno how it takes a team 4+years to find a decent center). All the while, he has towed the party line without so much as a peep of dissatisfaction. That's gotta remind you of bourque. I agree with the rest of your points though, there really isn't a place to put the guy, especially with that big of a cap hit. 
    Posted by Olsonic[/QUOTE]

That might be similar, but one Art Ross vs. (list waaaaay too long) puts them on different levels for me.

I'm a big Iginla fan, I just don't see the fit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

I honestly doubt you're as big a Bourque fan as I am. Let's put it this way, if i were starting a fantasy team of all time hockey players Bourque would get picked over Orr or any other defenseman without a qualm...

Iginla is in the same area of quality. Not better, possibly as good if you ignore the difficulty of compaing eras and positions, but not a lot below Bourque.

He's been a point per game player his whole career on a team who's best centes have usually been nearly as good as Chris Kelly. He didn't get to play with Savard much, and that talent around his is paper thin. If you don't think even a 34/35 year old Iginla is worth thinking about you really, really need to reexamine your hockey prerogatives.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : Iginla isn't anywhere near the same level as Bourque. And yes, NTC and all, he'll probably veto a deal to the Panthers or the Coyotes, but I can't imagine he'd decline a decent city with a decent team. If he's available, should it be considered?  I say no.  This B's team is pretty tight with the top six wingers.  If any move was made for a great player, I think the spot between Lucic and Horton would be the needed upgrade.  I'm sure the B's aren't going to put a guy who makes $7M/yr and scored 43 goals last year on the third line.  Iginla is a first line player.  Horton would have to go the other way, along with prospects and/or picks.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I honestly doubt you're as big a Bourque fan as I am. Let's put it this way, if i were starting a fantasy team of all time hockey players Bourque would get picked over Orr or any other defenseman without a qualm... Iginla is in the same area of quality. Not better, possibly as good if you ignore the difficulty of compaing eras and positions, but not a lot below Bourque. He's been a point per game player his whole career on a team who's best centes have usually been nearly as good as Chris Kelly. He didn't get to play with Savard much, and that talent around his is paper thin. If you don't think even a 34/35 year old Iginla is worth thinking about you really, really need to reexamine your hockey prerogatives. In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation :
    Posted by bandgbleeder[/QUOTE]
    If you're actually willing to pick Bourque over Orr than there's no way you should even brink Iginla into the conversation then. Orr will still be talked about by hockey historians 100 years from now. Bourque MIGHT be (considerably less if at all) and Iginla will be an afterthought by then. Orr was the greatest player ever. I don't know how old you are but I'm assuming you just don't remember him. Hockey history always will.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Orr was a great player, but not healthy, (also he didn't skate backwards well) not teacher, and didn't play in an era with many other very good to all time great defensmen.
    If I want my team to play three years, I'm taking Bourque.  If I'm talking one game yes Orr, also without a qualm.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : If you're actually willing to pick Bourque over Orr than there's no way you should even brink Iginla into the conversation then. Orr will still be talked about by hockey historians 100 years from now. Bourque MIGHT be (considerably less if at all) and Iginla will be an afterthought by then. Orr was the greatest player ever. I don't know how old you are but I'm assuming you just don't remember him. Hockey history always will.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Orr was a great player, but not healthy, (also he didn't skate backwards well) not teacher, and didn't play in an era with many other very good to all time great defensmen. If I want my team to play three years, I'm taking Bourque.  If I'm talking one game yes Orr, also without a qualm. In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation :
    Posted by bandgbleeder[/QUOTE]
    He won the Norris 8 years in a row against the likes of Robinson, Potvin, Savard, Park.......the list of Hall of Famers could go on. Saying Orr didn't skate backwards well is one of the more interesting things I've ever read on here. It's certainly a first on here I am sure. Well that's it for me. This conversation just went too long.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

I am a huuuuuuge Bourque fan. But unquestionably Bobby Orr was the greatest hockey player to play the game. End of story. I know now I have opened a bees nest but simply he was.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I am a huuuuuuge Bourque fan. But unquestionably Bobby Orr was the greatest hockey player to play the game. End of story. I know now I have opened a bees nest but simply he was.
    Posted by Macfact[/QUOTE]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSDw3tMa7ec

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Matt Kalman quipped about 3 weeks ago that "Thanksgiving must be getting close the Iginla rumors are heating up in the Canadian media". I'd be thrilled to have Iginla on the Bruins but as mentioned Red, what it would take to get Jerome then how do you fit him under the cap or any team yikes.

Posters might jump on this dangling "why not Krejci and ?" In order for Chiarelli to do that he might have to get rid of another salary so he saves some cap room around the deadline for injuries. I agree with Ols, Iginla has been putting up with the Sutter's Moe , Larry and Curly clown act long enough though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSDw3tMa7ec
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Yah but he had a lousy slap shot Dez and Ted Williams couldn't bunt and John Hannah didn't run the 40 very well and...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : Yah but he had a lousy slap shot Dez and Ted Williams couldn't bunt and John Hannah didn't run the 40 very well and...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    I'm still tearing up a little.........imagine if he'd played on good knees if that's what he was capable of at 60%.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : I'm still tearing up a little.........imagine if he'd played on good knees if that's what he was capable of at 60%.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE

dez, thanx you took the words right out of my mouth....

as good as Bourque was he wasn't even close to Mr. Orr....

maybe i'm being biased, but #4 is the greatest i've seen in the 40+ yrs i've been watching....  and to think that he only played 36 games after he was 27, the age most players reach their peak....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

I walked into the kitchen in 1976 and my mother and father were crying. My dad is six foot six and not one prone to shed a tear for anything. I walked in and he looked at me and said Bobby Orr was traded. I jumped into his arms. And we all wept. Bobby Orr's poster hanging on my wall and now an actual photograph from the original negative on my son's wall. My first Bruin's jersey number four hanging in his room. Bobby Orr was an inspiration to anyone born in the 70's for so many reasons. When I was in my teens my mom suprised our whole family and took us to the legends of hokcey and we saw Phil and Bobby play. When I was 33 my best friend suprised me with tickets to the last legends game Bobby ever played in in Boston. Not only is he the most inspired player. And closest to our hearts. But he changed the game irrevocably for ever. He is the greatest hockey player of all time and you can argue Gretzky to your blue in the face but he is the Greatest number 4. I loved Ray's career and he is my second favorite player and it was inspiring to watch him and his cup win in CO but nothing will match the impact, the grace, the brute, the goal scorer Bobby Orr. Thanks Dez for the trip down memory lane.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Hey Dez, in the video clip Orr did not skate backwards.  So what is your point! Hehehehe

Oh yes, I would take Iginla, but it would cost the Bs Krejci and prospects or as NAS stated Horton. Nope, Ryan is another story, but purely a dream!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

+10 to SanDog for a John Hannah reference.

Here's what makes sense to me.  The Bruins watch what happens with Iggy.  If things get all Feaster Island, maybe there's an opportunity to add him to the mix.

The Flames would want a king's ransom for him, and I think there are teams who would pay handsomely.  I could see the Isles making an offer and Columbus and maybe Florida.  I don't see Iginla waiving his NTC to go to the first two; maybe Fla. I could see the Kings or Colorado looking for a deal, but I don't think Feaster keeps Iginla that close.  The Bruins would be stupid to mess up the team enough to compete with what these teams might offer.

Say it goes on and on for a while with the offers either too risky for Feaster's liking or involving teams too weak for Iginla's taste.  Then the Bruins step in at the 11th hour with an offer of Kelly, Hamill, Bartkowski and picks.  It looks stupid even as I type it, but so did the Phaneuf deal and so did the Kovalchuk deal: Oduya, Berfors and a pick they flipped as part of the Byfuglien deal?  Maybe something like that allows the Bruins to put their champion status and the fact they don't need an Iginla to work for them.

Final thought though - Iginla has been awfully comfortable for a very long time.  You hear rumours out of Calgary that he's gotten a lot complacent.  Not a little; a lot.  Can he be just part of the machine again?  I don't know if I like the odds.