More Iginla speculation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: More Iginla speculation

In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation:
    [QUOTE]Orr was a great player, but not healthy, (also he didn't skate backwards well) not teacher, and didn't play in an era with many other very good to all time great defensmen. If I want my team to play three years, I'm taking Bourque.  If I'm talking one game yes Orr, also without a qualm. In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation :
    Posted by bandgbleeder[/QUOTE]

Its funny to hear people who never watched Orr talk about him.

Love Bourque, but better than Orr?   Must be a youngster.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : I think it's close between Roy and Brodeur. I'm a huge Marty fan. But, Roy played his whole career where he didnt have a chance to win games in a shoot out or a 4 on 4 overtime. Also, Roy played when the scores were more frequently 6-3 rather than clutch and grab 2-1.. Brodeur, would have broke the recored anyways, best puck handling goaltender ever. Not even debatable. Remarkably consistent, and durable, up until a couple of years ago. Ahh, screw it, If I had to win one game just pick one I guess, lets face it, both are great..And I don't go with the Brodeur had Stevens,Niedermayer etc...They could have been great cause of him too.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

As great as Roy was, he had an erratic nature to him tham makes Brodeur the winner to me.  Especially in Roy's last few years, he gave up as many really soft ones as he made game changing saves.  I like the consistency of Marty.

But if I had to take a greatest ever, it's Plante.  You can't compare stats across eras, but Plante was one of those iconic players in sport that most other players who followed him at the position learned from.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LegendofBoston. Show LegendofBoston's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : As great as Roy was, he had an erratic nature to him tham makes Brodeur the winner to me.  Especially in Roy's last few years, he gave up as many really soft ones as he made game changing saves.  I like the consistency of Marty. But if I had to take a greatest ever, it's Plante.  You can't compare stats across eras, but Plante was one of those iconic players in sport that most other players who followed him at the position learned from.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Brodeur is not even a top 5 goalie in my opinion. With that said the best goalie ever was Dominic Hasek. Had he played before the age of 27 he would have shattered EVERY goalie record. Plante was great, no doubt, but not as great as Hasek, lets not forget Plante got carried by a great Habs team, when Hasek carried a bad Sabres team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : As great as Roy was, he had an erratic nature to him tham makes Brodeur the winner to me.  Especially in Roy's last few years, he gave up as many really soft ones as he made game changing saves.  I like the consistency of Marty. But if I had to take a greatest ever, it's Plante.  You can't compare stats across eras, but Plante was one of those iconic players in sport that most other players who followed him at the position learned from.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

This is a great point. My pick for the era of the 60-70's. Forget any kind of statistical comparisons. I just thought that Glenn Hall was the most exciting goalie to watch back then. And I agree with Brodeur.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : Brodeur is not even a top 5 goalie in my opinion. With that said the best goalie ever was Dominic Hasek. Had he played before the age of 27 he would have shattered EVERY goalie record. Plante was great, no doubt, but not as great as Hasek, lets not forget Plante got carried by a great Habs team, when Hasek carried a bad Sabres team.
    Posted by LegendofBoston[/QUOTE]

would of, could of, didnt!  hasek isnt a top 5 goalie.  thats almost as bad as saying orr isnt as good as bourque.  if u like i can throw martys resume at you.  international as well...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

currently the bruins are 5th in the NHL in goals scored, and 2nd in the NHL in goals against. someone please explain to me why making ANY move, for ANY player would be worth disrupting the chemistry of a team that looks a whole lot like the one that won a cup last season. it's all about risk vs. reward. too much of a risk, for not much of a gain. i truly believe people are just bored and need something to talk about. re-sign the players they have and make it long term. KEEP THIS TEAM TOGETHER.  there is no drama on this team, and it seems they really like playing together/ for each other. why mess with that? look at the additions they made last season, no stars, just hard-working guys that will play the system. adding a high-profile star is a risk if you ask me. this is no dig towards iginla- he's a tough, talented player. but he will cost the bruins an important piece of the puzzle-

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

You said they should go for him, they didn't, they won the cup. Glad they didn't listen to you.  Horton has a no trade, he can't be moved for Iginla.

[QUOTE]Last year at this time, Iggy's name came up and I suggested the B's get him, if available. A few posters said he was washed up and done. He scored 43 goals. So his production, at this point, is not an issue. If he is available, then they should do everything in their power to get him.  To say he doesn't fit, or that as an upper echelon  team, that they don't need him, would be silly. You always need to get better, because the other teams are getting better, and Syd is back. Just having Crosby back in the picture is enough for me to think they have to do everything possible to get out of the East, let alone win again.  I don't know if I have a good trade proposal for him, but Horton would have to be part of it. Like many others here, I get nervous about what would be needed to make that trade. I see many good years ahead for this team, and to give up a lot of that future for one player is hard to swallow. But I really believe the B's have a much better chance to win again, if they can get him. And isn't that what we really want. I can put up with a decade of average hockey for back to back Cups. 
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I see no point in trading for Iginla. He would be a downgrade on Seguin.  The other right wing spot is Horton.  He might be a slight upgrade on him at this stage, but Horton can be good too- he was leading the Bruins in playoff scoring when he went down last year.  He's also great team guy and he has a no trade.  He's also significantly cheaper and younger. Iginla also has another year of 7mil on the books, which could be a problem.  The Bruins do not need this trade without even considering what it would cost. Now, as Shupe suggested, Washington.  There is a team that is just begging for Iginla.  That is a trade that makes sense. If they could dump Semin for cap space something could happen. They also have Col's 1st rounder as bait to go with several young D. I think people get frustrated because they like to talk trades but Boston is so well built that they don't really have glaring holes or needs. Making trades for debateable upgrades involving older players and bigger cap hits doesn't make sense for them.  There are other teams that need trades much more than the Bruins.

On the side topics, while Iginla's situation of a longtime good, loveable player playing for one team and never winning the cup is comparable to Bourque's, Iginla is not comparible to Bourque. Ray is one of the best of all time, Iginla is not in that group.

The best of all time, definitely Gretzky. I love watching old games of him. Never tire of them. It's like he has the Force.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : Because Calgary doesnt have the players. If Bourque wasnt that good, why didnt it happen in Boston. Why didnt it happen in Boston!!! I'll take Iginla instead of hoping Tim Thomas stands on his head again and Crosby and Malkin get hurt again. I'll worry about Chris Kelly's contract after my second stanley cup parade.

Kelv, you won't have to worry about Kelly's contract if Iginla comes on board. There will be no room to to sign him, period.

Unfortunately, Kelly will be only one of at least two, and possibly three others, that you will have no choice but to kiss goodbye.

Iginla will open up an ugly can of worms in Boston. Iggy = ugly in Beantown.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Where do these speculations come from? the Bruins have no intentions on trading anyone especially at this point in time. what change do they need? ziltch! they certainly dont need Iginla. the only trades this year if any will be ajustments at the minor leage level unless something drastic happens but i dont see it.

More new wave fantasy sports fan delusions..........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Let me get this straight because I don't understand - in the last 12 games the Bruins have picked up 23 points out of a possible 24 points.

Having achieved this, you all want Iginla and Ryan. For what?
    Would they have gotten the Bruins 24 of 24? Fat chance.

Let's keep the fantasizing private, please. Fantasies are best left personal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Sounds like Iginla is a no go for Boston. I'm with Adkbeesfan, the Bruins are so well constructed that all these discussions are because there is nothing else to talk about. Let's start a thread analyzing how Chiarelli will manipulate for the next two years with Tuuka, Kreji, Kelly , Campbell, Paille and others in 2012; and Lucic, Horton,Seguin, Marchand, Caron, Ference in 2013.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]Sounds like Iginla is a no go for Boston. I'm with Adkbeesfan, the Bruins are so well constructed that all these discussions are because there is nothing else to talk about. Let's start a thread analyzing how Chiarelli will manipulate for the next two years with Tuuka, Kreji, Kelly , Campbell, Paille and others in 2012; and Lucic, Horton,Seguin, Marchand, Caron, Ference in 2013.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Finally, someone who is actually looking at the big picture. Too many posters here suffer from myopic thinking.

Infatuation for what you don't have will make you lose what you already have.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : Kelv, you won't have to worry about Kelly's contract if Iginla comes on board. There will be no room to to sign him, period. Unfortunately, Kelly will be only one of at least two, and possibly three others, that you will have no choice but to kiss goodbye. Iginla will open up an ugly can of worms in Boston. Iggy = ugly in Beantown.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

I understand what your saying Wheat. And you might be right. I just think to defend a Cup is going to be real hard. You have Seguin at another level this year. That helps. But can Thomas do what he did last year. he's on pace this year but I dont think it's realistic. Last year Philly was really beat up, No Crosby or Malkin, I'd expect more changes in Washington..You just know the Pens are going to pull the trigger on something. Rangers could be more of a factor and the Lightning might have a bona fide goalie..We have the cap room to add a pretty good player right now. I say go for it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]Let me get this straight because I don't understand - in the last 12 games the Bruins have picked up 23 points out of a possible 24 points. Having achieved this, you all want Iginla and Ryan. For what? Would they have gotten the Bruins 24 of 24? Fat chance. Let's keep the fantasizing private, please. Fantasies are best left personal.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

I remember saying the same thing about the Red Sox when they were the hottest team in July.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : I remember saying the same thing about the Red Sox when they were the hottest team in July.
    using that logic...you think by picking up a free agent during that time, it would have stopped their september collapse? they would have won the world series? the sox don't have the same team that won in 07. the bruins have the same team that won the stanley cup 6 months ago. on that point, this year the sox brought in a bunch of big $ free agents (what you're saying the b's should do), how'd that work out for them?? i don't get it

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

No No No to Iginla. Is he really that much better than Horton who is almost ten years younger and 3 MIL less ? Because that's who he would replace.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

bogie the chances of Inginla coming to the Bruins is slim to none. A lot of great speculation. PC has a financial plan that he does not waver from and he will live or die by it. But as far as upgrade to Horton I would have to disagree. Inginla is a proven leader. Horton I am afraid will not develop into that. As a matter of fact this might be the best Horton Hockey we ever see.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : using that logic...you think by picking up a free agent during that time, it would have stopped their september collapse? they would have won the world series? the sox don't have the same team that won in 07. the bruins have the same team that won the stanley cup 6 months ago. on that point, this year the sox brought in a bunch of big $ free agents (what you're saying the b's should do), how'd that work out for them?? i don't get it
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

I know it's a hockey forum but as for my reasoning, don't forget the Sox were trying to get Chris Capuano and Bruce Chen just to borrow them so they could start one game. Well past the waiver deadline they were looking to borrow a pitcher. Far cry from their 23-6 run they had earlier in the year. How many games have the Bruins played the last 2 years? Injuries could happen. I'm not saying it has to be Iginla. I'd love to see them add a veteran who wants a Cup. A ray Whitney type would be nice without taking someone off the roster. Not much down in Providence.
    Are they as good as their last 12 games? Will they maintain that. What about their start to the season? I think as the hunted you have to prepare a little differently than you would as the hunter. I'd love Iginla on this team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Horton = Iginla? 

Crazy talk!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

At this point in his career it's a no brainer. Stay away. Plus he really doesn't want to leave the Flamess for some reason.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jake1977. Show Jake1977's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : As far as forwards go nobody was better than Lemieux. Mario dominated in the 80s, 90s with the trap in full effect and even the 2000s as little as he played. Posted by SanDogBrewin[/Q Pretty sure Gretzky dominated the 80s a little bit more.  Does the league even have shadows anymore.  As far as pure skill Lemieux I would say is the best ever.  Amazing dangles.  But no one thought the game better than gretzky.  Its like he was playing a different game then anyone else.  Again.  Stats dont lie.  Stats make Gretzky have more assists than anyone else(including Mario) had pts.  His stats make me chuckle sometimes.  50 in 39 is the safest record in sports history.  Seasons Greetings still on the ice.  Dec 30th.  Insane. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vReIT6i66Pc
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

and Lemieux smoked cigarettes in between periods...enough said

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jake1977. Show Jake1977's posts

[QUOTE]No No No to Iginla. Is he really that much better than Horton who is almost ten years younger and 3 MIL less ? Because that's who he would replace.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

in a word...yes.  Iginla is that much better than Horton.  That being said, I like the way the Bruins team is constructed...minor tweaks is what they need IMO...like benching Boychuk

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jake1977. Show Jake1977's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : I remember saying the same thing about the Red Sox when they were the hottest team in July.

great point...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Iginla speculation : in a word...yes.  Iginla is that much better than Horton.  That being said, I like the way the Bruins team is constructed...minor tweaks is what they need IMO...like benching Boychuk
    Posted by Jake1977[/QUOTE]
    Horton is still outscoring Iginla as we speak and Horton still hasn't found his rythm yet so for 3 million extra dollars, no- Iginla isn't that much better right now. He used to be way better. Now, it's not so much.

Sections
Shortcuts