More realignment news

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

More realignment news

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/07/12/jets-will-move-to-central-division-in-2012-report/

So according to Wild owner Craig Leopold, Detroit will be in the East next year and the league will go back to 4 division, with the Jets, Wild, Hawks, Preds, Stars, Blues, and possibly Columbus (that likely depends on where the Yotes are playing) in the Central.

So how would the East break down? Where does Detroit go, and if they're going to 7 or 8 team divisions, who is Boston going to play against? I figure there's five places that the Yotes could play next year - Phoenix, Seattle, KC, QC and (unlikely) Southern Ontario. If they're in Phoenix, Seattle or KC, I'd guess Columbus would go East, with the two 8 teams divisions in the East and the two seven teams one in the west. A Bruins division of maybe B's, Leafs, Habs, Sens, NYR, NYI, Sabres and Devils?

If the Yotes move East, then maybe something like Wings, Leafs, Pens, Sens, Habs, B's, Sabres, and QC/SO?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: More realignment news

Whatever - as long as the one rumour on this that came from TSN is false.  Dreger said something to the effect that the Bruins would move to an Atlantic rather than Northern division and play the Caps, Pens, Flyers, Rangers, Isles, Panters and Lightning.  There go all the best rivalries.  The rest, I'm guessing, would look something like this:

Leafs, Shabs, Sens, Sabres, Wings, Preds, Canes. 
    Jets, Jackets, Flames, Oilers, Wild, Avs, Hawks, Blues.  
    Canuck, Kings, Sharks, Ducks, Stars, Yotes.

Call it a time-zone alignment, more vertical than regional.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Interesting stuff. In order for the playoff structure to be fair, the two Conferences would need the same amount of teams. Can't have a weighted schedule and then ask teams to qualify for 8 out of 16 spots while the other division gets to fight for 8 spots out of 14. If Leipold is correct that there are to be 4 Divisions, then the only way to make it equitable for reaching the playoffs is Divisions of 7 and 8 in the West, then 7 and 8 in the East.

If Phoenix stayed where they are or moved to KC/Las Vegas/Seattle (haven't heard rumors on any of these, though), then the West would have 16 teams and one would need to move East (Detroit, Nashville or Columbus). Detroit has been lobbying if the rumors are true, so it could likely be them. If Phoenix moved to S. Ontario or QC, then everything evens out and Detroit would need to stay in the West unless another team goes back in a swap.

As for the breakdown of the Divisions, you’re right in that it could get messy. I don’t see how the league gets out of this without "bumping" the two New York teams, although going from 6 to 4 divisions will mix everyone up regardless.

If the Phoenix franchise stayed in the West, my hope would be:

Eastern Conf. – Division 1
    Boston Bruins
    Buffalo Sabres
    Detroit Red Wings
    Montreal Canadiens
    New York Islanders
    New York Rangers
    Ottawa Senators
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Eastern Conf. – Division 2
    Carolina Hurricanes
    Florida Panthers
    New Jersey Devils
    Philadelphia Flyers
    Pittsburgh Penguins
    Tampa Bay Lightning
    Washington Capitals

Western Conf – Division 1
    Chicago Blackhawks
    Columbus Blue Jackets
    Dallas Stars
    Minnesota Wild
    Nashville Predators
    St. Louis Blues
    Winnipeg Jets
    (or Phoenix moves here as KC)

Western Conf – Division 2
    Anaheim Ducks
    Calgary Flames
    Colorado Avalanche
    Edmonton Oilers
    Los Angeles Kings
    Phoenix Coyotes (or Las Vegas/Seattle)
    San Jose Sharks
    Vancouver Canucks

If the Phoenix franchise moved East to either S. Ontario or QC, my hope would be:

Boston Bruins
    Buffalo Sabres
    Montreal Canadiens
    New York Islanders
    New York Rangers
    Ottawa Senators
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    (+S. Ontario or Quebec City)

Eastern Conf. – Division 2
    Carolina Hurricanes
    Florida Panthers
    New Jersey Devils
    Philadelphia Flyers
    Pittsburgh Penguins
    Tampa Bay Lightning
    Washington Capitals

Western Conf – Division 1
    Chicago Blackhawks
    Columbus Blue Jackets
    Detroit Red Wings
    Dallas Stars
    Minnesota Wild
    Nashville Predators
    St. Louis Blues
    Winnipeg Jets

Western Conf – Division 2
    Anaheim Ducks
    Calgary Flames
    Colorado Avalanche
    Edmonton Oilers
    Los Angeles Kings
    San Jose Sharks
    Vancouver Canucks

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I'll also go on record to say that hockey in Sunrise, FL makes less sense than it does in Phoenix. If I had my way, the Panthers would relocate to QC while Phoenix either stays or moves to Seattle. Just my 2 cents.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Who decides on the realignment? Jacobs is a major player and would not be happy if the Bruins, Habs, and even the leafs and Sabres are not in the same division add in  Ottowa because of proximity, and the Pens, and Detroit makes 7 in a geographic area, plus opens up a spot for Quebecas a landing spot for Phoenix. The second Eastern division would run from Ny to Florida = 7 then a West coast Division plus Dallas, Edmonton and Calgary; and a central/west dividion from Winnepeg down thru Chicago, St louis, Colorado, Wild,Columbus and Nashville, i think I left someone out, but fel strongly about the Bruins alignment

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

I do not want the Bruins in the same conference as Detroit. Yikes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: More realignment news:
    Who decides on the realignment? Jacobs is a major player and would not be happy if the Bruins, Habs, and even the leafs and Sabres are not in the same division add in  Ottowa because of proximity, and the Pens, and Detroit makes 7 in a geographic area, plus opens up a spot for Quebecas a landing spot for Phoenix. The second Eastern division would run from Ny to Florida = 7 then a West coast Division plus Dallas, Edmonton and Calgary; and a central/west dividion from Winnepeg down thru Chicago, St louis, Colorado, Wild,Columbus and Nashville, i think I left someone out, but fel strongly about the Bruins alignment
    Posted by bogie6

Denver's in the Mtn Time zone, and Dallas is in th central, so you'd likely put the Avs in the Pacific, and Dallas in the Central (which is what the Wild owner said).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I left out New jersey in the second eastern division. I would love to see Detroit added to the Bruins division, along with pittsburgh, some great games ahead. I do think Quebec needs to be placated before Kansas City.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I like the idea Asmaha, but would cut them north/south as well

NE/Adams: Bos-Mon-Tor-Det-Buff-NYR-NYI-Ott
    SE/Patrick: NJ-Pitt-Phi-Was-Car-Fla-TB
    NW/Norris: Van-Edm-Cal-Win-Minn-Chi-Col
    SW/Smythe: LA-Ana-Clb-Nash-Dall-Phx-SJ
    StL can go in either Western Division

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I left out New jersey in the second eastern division. I would love to see Detroit added to the Bruins division, along with pittsburgh, some great games ahead. I do think Quebec needs to be placated before Kansas City.
    Posted by bogie6

The problem withQuebec is they don't have an arena deal in place, and the one they're trying to do is stalled in government red ink. KC has an arena in place, and MSNBC has this report out on Seattle.

"There is a report out of Seattle that Chicago businessman Don Levin has plans to build an arena on the Eastside of Seattle to house a potential NHL team. The business group has not decided on a specific location, nor have they identified a potential NHL franchise—but they have a few prospective locations in the greater Seattle area.  The same report states that Levin is headed to Seattle to check out a few of the possible sites for himself."

I don't think it's just realignment - I think part of why they didn't do major moves this year with the Jets, is because they expect one or two other teams to move in the very near future.

Maybe something like
    LA, Ducks, SJ, Seattle, Van, Flames, Oilers, Avs (the Pacific teams plus the Mtn time zone teams)
    Jets, KC, Preds, Hawks, Blues, Wild, Stars (all the Central time zone teams)
    Lightning, Canes, Pens, Flyers, Devils, Rangers, Isles, Caps (the Atlantic teams plus the remainng SE teams)
    Bruins, Sens, Habs, Sabres, Leafs, Jackets, Wings (the NE plus Jackets and Wings)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Thanks for the reference to Seattle....how about KC? Other than it being a viable population center not in the South, has there been much chatter about a team moving there?

I would LOVE to see a team in Seattle, by the way. The departure of the Sonics means an available stadium for short-term use (see Carolina) and no competition from the NBA for fan time and $$. Also would be nice to interject some US blood into the VAN-CGY-EDM corner of the world. A vibrant, economically stable northern US city without a team is silly when places like Sunrise, Tampa, Columbus and Anaheim are making a go of it (some better than others, obviously).

A second thought about possible realignment came to me this morning. I'd rather see the healthier Phoenix franchise find a way to Seattle/KC and save the struggling Florida team for a Canadian city (QC or S. Ontario). It'll be more important for long-term stability that any team moving to a new US market have success relatively early. Fan interest in Canada wouldn't wane during a few slow seasons, while "new" US markets can be lukewarm about pro hockey. I look at Anaheim, Canes, Atlanta and Columbus as examples. The Ducks and Canes had success fairly early, and the teams took root. The Thrashers didn't sniff success and nobody cared to invest in them. Columbus is on the edge, and I think the GM knows this (hence the active FA moves). They need to make the playoffs this year or next, otherwise Columbus might be the team that ends up moving out-of-the-blue like the Atlanta move. Seattle would be tough if the team didn't play well early...the WHL Thunderbirds draw less than the league average (while interestingly enough the Portland and Spokane teams draw well).

I love this stuff. Sorry for rambling.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/mapleleafs/article/1023550--how-about-an-all-canadian-division-here-are-3-ways-the-nhl-can-realign

Don't know if anyone saw this in yesterday's Toronto Star.  I like asmaha's breakdown. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I like option 3 from that link you posted

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Option 3 isn't bad, except for breaking up Montreal and Boston. You may as well just split up the Red Sox and Yankees.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

I do not want the Bruins in the same conference as Detroit. Yikes.
    Posted by derrickmorin

yikes? why the bruins are the stanley cup champions, doesnt matter who is in our divsion we are #1  detroit and the other 28 teams can go stick it...bruins will stay on top!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In Response to Re: More realignment news : yikes? why the bruins are the stanley cup champions, doesnt matter who is in our divsion we are #1  detroit and the other 28 teams can go stick it...bruins will stay on top!
    Posted by bruins8

They are going to give Phil Kessel his own division so he can be the bestest at everything.

Sorry Bro, you're never gonna live it down.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I agree, no way the league breaks up Boston/Montreal.  That would just be plain stupid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

This gets my vote:

Boston Bruins
    Buffalo Sabres
    Montreal Canadiens
    New York Islanders
    New York Rangers
    Ottawa Senators
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    (+S. Ontario or Quebec City)

I've removed myself so far from the game after the Cup that I did not know realignment was on the table.

Sections
Shortcuts