More shocking - Flyers or Devils?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

More shocking - Flyers or Devils?

Philly is playing unbelievable hockey right now... they're healthy and winning regularly with a goalie who wasn't even on their roster last year.

Devils are in complete shambles - who would have predicted that?

Are these two teams the surprises of the East so far?  Which team is more likely to experience a reversal of fortune?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: More shocking - Flyers or Devils?

On the eastern front:  The Devil's play has been horrible, the "defensive minded team adding Kovy" experiment has been a failure.  Brodeur is showing his age given the poor defensive play.

The Bs play has been noticeable as well considering the play of Thomas. Despite the recent slump the team will improve with the return of Krejci and Savard. PC does need to make a move that will be disheartening to some on the team.  

On the western front:  The Kings were to be contenders but they are playing beyond expectations. With cap room to add a veteran at the trade deadline they could be Stanley Cup finalists.   

Chicago is playing better lately yet the cap adjustment has certainly influenced the team up to this point.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Devils are more shocking.  The Flyers did go to the cup last year after coming back twice against the Bruins (the 3-0 series deficeit and 3-0 Garden lead in game 7).  I thought the Devils would be a mid-pack team come playoffs.  That WONT happen, I dont care how early it is.

With that said, Philly has been on a roll.  They are 9-0-1 in their last 10.  They CANT keep it up.  I think they were 2-4-1 to start the season or something.  They ARENT that good.  Theyll end up around mid pack I think.  I dont know how they can stay this hot, they arent this good on paper. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

As of right now, I think Philly is the best team in the East. Giroux is fastly emerging as a superstar, they have a great Defense, a solid goalie, and great forward depth. Right now, Id put them ahead of washington

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to More shocking - Flyers or Devils?:
    Philly is playing unbelievable hockey right now... they're healthy and winning regularly with a goalie who wasn't even on their roster last year. Devils are in complete shambles - who would have predicted that? Are these two teams the surprises of the East so far?  Which team is more likely to experience a reversal of fortune?  
    Posted by hangnail

Many predicted Jersey's demise after the Kovalchuk debacle.Tying the better part of your teams payroll to a player that dosen't understand the concept of team  will tend to  cause this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

I can't see how Washington and Philly can't come in 1 and 2 (in whichever order) in the East.   I didn't expect as fast a start for either team, but they are both excellent teams.   Washington needs a start goalie to be #1 in the league in my books.

Montreal is playing better than I had thought they could, lead by the resurgence of Carey Price.    

Pittsburg I thought would be better, but they getting little secondary scoring.

Boston is about where I expected.

New Jersey shocks me.   I took Kovalchuk at #9 in my hockey pool and as a result of that (and other poor picks) I'm near the bottom.

The Leafs, being only 2 games below .500 is still ahead of where I thought they would be!  Ha!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hard to believe Philly was the worst team in the league at one point last year.  That's more difficult to comprehend than either the Devils or Flyers this year.  That said, if you watched the Devils the last two years, you might not be as surprised to see them struggle this year.  They used to thrive by adding young players, not retreads and pricey FAs.  And Marty hasn't been Marty since the Olympics.  Chicago's a bigger surprise for me - I wouldn't have thought the Cap moves would push them out of the elite given that they still have Hossa, Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Sharp.  Turco's probably an upgrade over Niemi/Huet too.  The only player of real consequence that they lost was Byfugy the Flyer Slayer (yes, I'm needling Versteeg).

Great young forwards in Philly.  We'll see if Bob can continue his streak or if he's the latest in a long line of Flyer goalies who look lights out then gag when it counts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

I am not surprised by either.  I said when the Devils trade for Kolvachuk and when they signed him that they would not make the playoffs.  If there is any thing shocking it is how fast Broduer's game is going south. As for the Flyers they went to the finals and then made changes to make themselves a better regular season team.  There only question was goaltending which they are getting for now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The Devils were without Parise and Langenbrunner, and Timmy stoned Elias. There were times when Brodeur was very good as when Bergie's line held the puck in for almost 2 minutes, so Brodeur can still stack em. they were also playing3/4 rookies, but sent the core young guys to Atlanta for Kovy. We haven't seen enough of the Flyers to have an opinion. Is Bobrofsky[ sp.?] at 22 the real thing?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

New Flyers Goalie Bobrovsky's GAA the last 4 years playing for Metallurg Novokuznetsk-Russia of the KHL. with a 92.3% svpct last 2 seasons combined.
    Once the rest of the league figures him out, and they will, he'll be a below avg goalie at best.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

It will be interesting to see how long Bobrovsky can play at his current level.  I'll agree that for someone who wasn't drafted AND has zero NHL experience, he has played above expectations to say the least.  Personally, I hope he starts to svck pretty quickly, although I think I would like to see him beat the Scabs tonight.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Neither team has shocked me. Even Kovalchuk needs a supporting cast, and Brodeur's been noticably slipping since missing most of the season a couple of years ago. Philly's biggest question mark was goaltending, and Bobrovsky's been playing over his head. The Flyers' run has also been fueled by good health, as well as some lesser opponents so far.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to More shocking - Flyers or Devils?:
    Philly is playing unbelievable hockey right now... they're healthy and winning regularly with a goalie who wasn't even on their roster last year. Devils are in complete shambles - who would have predicted that? Are these two teams the surprises of the East so far?  Which team is more likely to experience a reversal of fortune?  
    Posted by hangnail

As for the Devils, some day the bottom has to fall out. The Flyers... are responding very well to their coach and his system.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: More shocking - Flyers or Devils?:
    New Flyers Goalie Bobrovsky's GAA the last 4 years playing for Metallurg Novokuznetsk-Russia of the KHL. with a 92.3% svpct last 2 seasons combined. 2.78 2.97 2.53 2.72 Once the rest of the league figures him out, and they will, he'll be a below avg goalie at best.
    Posted by Eric66

What are you basing that on?

Sections
Shortcuts