mornin' chill tracker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

mornin' chill tracker

well, january 3rd is the first day of winter in my parts (adirondacks). the thermometer this morning read minus 20 degrees F.  curious to hear from my fellow posters... how chilly was it in your neck of the woods?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: mornin' chill tracker

btw, that's the air temp... no wind chill factor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

12 degrees when i got in my car this morning.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

20 below ADK ? Where i'm at it got down to 30 degrees last night. Be interested to see what Book and Red will say their temp was yikes...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

-20 degrees F... the cold that freezes your nostril to your septum. love it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

My thermometer said 10 in Sudbury MA, but the weatherman said it was colder.

I've been watching it like a hawk as I just got the rink in and filled with water on Monday.  This a.m. I walked over it and it cracked once.  First time I've been able to walk across it.

I know I had it frozen back in 2010 on Dec 10.

Looks like I'll have to move up your way if I'm going to try to keep making an outdoor rink every year.

Hey ADK, how's the new bridge?  I've only seen it on youtube and it makes me realize what junk the old one was.  And how are property values around Port Henry & Westport?  Or maybe Witherbee.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'm in Van, so it's actually not that bad, 30 F right now, so just below freezing. Even back home it's not that cold, 12 F, which is downright balmy for Manitoba this time of year. Average temp for this time of year there is closer to -40 F with the windchill.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishermanpike. Show fishermanpike's posts

I'm in Ticonderoga, in the Adirondacks, and it was 9 below at my house.  Others here at work had 21 below.

BadHab: housing prices in Port Henry are not bad.  It is a poor Town.  Westport pricier, a much nicer town.  Also bridge is great.  I go to VT often to visit family and using the ferry was a pain.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to fishermanpike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm in Ticonderoga, in the Adirondacks, and it was 9 below at my house.  Others here at work had 21 below.

BadHab: housing prices in Port Henry are not bad.  It is a poor Town.  Westport pricier, a much nicer town.  Also bridge is great.  I go to VT often to visit family and using the ferry was a pain.

[/QUOTE]

Every summer from 0 to 18 was spent in Westport where my father worked for the summer.

Love that part of the world.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to fishermanpike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And I bet dollars to donuts you and ADK probably know one person in common, real small world up there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My thermometer said 10 in Sudbury MA, but the weatherman said it was colder.

I've been watching it like a hawk as I just got the rink in and filled with water on Monday.  This a.m. I walked over it and it cracked once.  First time I've been able to walk across it.

I know I had it frozen back in 2010 on Dec 10.

Looks like I'll have to move up your way if I'm going to try to keep making an outdoor rink every year.

Hey ADK, how's the new bridge?  I've only seen it on youtube and it makes me realize what junk the old one was.  And how are property values around Port Henry & Westport?  Or maybe Witherbee.

[/QUOTE]

it's still standin'. oh how we trust our infrastructure, who knew we were risking our lives all these years. as for property values, i'm not the one to ask. i live quite a ways from those towns... inside the park, where the animals outnumber the people. for that i'm thankful. after last "winter", this is quite welcome- along with the cool air, we got about 12-15 inches in the past few days! nothing like a quiet, cold, snowy day in the woods. heaven  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

My wife thinks it's too cold here in MA.  I could never get her to move up there.  I would go anywhere from Ti to Plattsburg.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

20 degrees here (10 last night) but the sunny skies make pond skating difficult.  Thick ice now, but still soft on top.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

it aint for everybody, us "barkeaters" are a hearty bunch. our park is a model for the balance between people and nature. instead of kicking the people out and putting up gates, we are "trusted" with our land. the government regulation is maddening at times, but it ensures this place will look the same for many, many generations to come. many park residents hate the APA(adir park agency). i for one, am thankful for their presence. for me, the good outweighs the bad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

We're sitting at -6C, which is around 20F.  Much improvemnet for us as we've been hovering around -25C or -13F.  Nice sunny day here, but everybody's home with the flu. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to adkbeesfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

it aint for everybody, us "barkeaters" are a hearty bunch. our park is a model for the balance between people and nature. instead of kicking the people out and putting up gates, we are "trusted" with our land. the government regulation is maddening at times, but it ensures this place will look the same for many, many generations to come. many park residents hate the APA(adir park agency). i for one, am thankful for their presence. for me, the good outweighs the bad.

[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you I was shocked last time i was up there.  Back when I was a kid seeing a boat on the lake was an exciting thing since there were so few.  Now there's tons of boats.  And a lot more people.  And the trails are that much more crowded.  As much as they try to preserve it, it is still disappearing bit by bit.

Sections
Shortcuts