Most Expensive Tickets Ever

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Re: Most Expensive Tickets Ever

Good grief. People love hockey down there.

However, one could have bought season tickets in 2008-2009 right here in Boston for about $20/seat. The pink-hats have ruined that for those of us who were going to games from 2005-2008.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Put it this way - what needs to change to actually grow the sport in S. Florida? What's a realistic strategy?

Hockey is growing in South Florida.  A lot of people don't go to the games because the team hasn't won a playoff series since 1996. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Put it this way - what needs to change to actually grow the sport in S. Florida? What's a realistic strategy?

Hockey is growing in South Florida.  A lot of people don't go to the games because the team hasn't won a playoff series since 1996. 

True, but they've had trouble selling tickets to Rays playoff games and Marlins when they were winning two world series. I agree with you that hockey is growing, but I wonder if it will ever grow enough to warrant two teams in that state let alone one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

True, but they've had trouble selling tickets to Rays playoff games and Marlins when they were winning two world series. I agree with you that hockey is growing, but I wonder if it will ever grow enough to warrant two teams in that state let alone one.

Tampa and South Florida are two very different places.  No one from here goes there and vice versa.  It's a long, boring drive across Alligator Alley and the swamps.  Blah to that.

We won't know the true level of fan support until they put together a few contending seasons.  That probably won't happen until after Tallon leaves.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

Good grief. People love hockey down there.

However, one could have bought season tickets in 2008-2009 right here in Boston for about $20/seat. The pink-hats have ruined that for those of us who were going to games from 2005-2008.

I sat on the glass vs. Toronto in 2006 for $50.  You could have heard a pin drop.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I read that article and others like it and they're certainly encouraging. Of course hockey is growing. I don't think anyone questions that the Panthers in Florida are helping grow the sport there.

But let's call it like it is. The NHL is not a charity. There are a finite amount of NHL clubs and player resources, and as a casul fan I'd prefer to see all the community benefits and upside that come with a team be applied to a market with greater potential for unmitigated success. Seattle, KC or Milwaukee come to mind, but I'm sure there are others. For all that the Panthers have done for growing the sport in South Florida, I look at what the Sharks, Canes and Stars have done and see that it could be so much more impactful on a community if that community has the demographics that will take hold. I just think the NHL is better served going into a C-level hockey community and turning it into an A, as opposed to an F-level hockey community and turning it into a C.

Progress in Florida is progress, no doubt about it. But even that article....my goodness....trying to quantify 20 years of growth by saying there are 5 semi-professional players in 2011 that have roots in Florida, when all 5 of them left Florida before the age of 15 is a bit of a stretch.

Think about what growth of the sport could be 20 years from now in any number of other markets. I find it hard to believe it could be a slower rate of progress. And with the NHL being a business, I think they are leaving money and opportunity on the table by funneling resources to South Florida as opposed to other markets.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

For those who feel attendance is so bad here, take a look at this.  Dick around there for a little while.  Check out the lower teams, not by percentage but by total numbers.

I think many will be surprised.

Here's an interesting look.  The Panthers are on the left and the B's are on the right, 2005 to now.  If you took nothing into account other than the B's have been really good lately and the Panthers have not, would you be calling for them to move because no one cares about hockey in Florida?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The biggest thing for me would be the capacity list. over 80% with a team like that tells me if theyre winning it creeps twards 100%. Add in that the youth programs are growing and your case is made. Well done.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

As for winning making a difference:

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Sam honed his game in Canada"

"but left to attend school in the Boston area"

"spending last season with the Vernon Vipers of the British Columbia Hockey League. He'll finish his collegiate career at UMass-Lowell."

"scored 25 goals in 35 games for Team Illinois"

"Malcolm Lyles left for Massachusetts when he was 13"

Pretty please start chasing me around this board!

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/2011/07/south-floridas-newest-export-hockey-players.html#storylink=cpy
    Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/2011/07/south-floridas-newest-export-hockey-players.html#storylink=cpy

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Current Value1 ($mil) 1-Yr Value Change (%) Debt/Value2 (%) Revenue ($mil) Operating Inc3 ($mil)                                                                                                       
      159                                -2                                     50                        74                 -13.6

#26 bringing up the rear your.....Team Panthers whoa!

Where would I be without your valuable information ?

Bot I tell yah that incredible marketing machine that has the Panthers at a operating income in the RED sure is awesome!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"spending last season with the Vernon Vipers of the British Columbia Hockey League. He'll finish his collegiate career at UMass-Lowell."

Yep, those kids grew up in Florida.  Pretty awesome, huh?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Current Value1 ($mil) 1-Yr Value Change (%) Debt/Value2 (%) Revenue ($mil) Operating Inc3 ($mil)                                                                                                       
      159                                -2                                     50                        74                 -13.6

#26 bringing up the rear your.....Team Panthers whoa!

Where would I be without your valuable information ?

Bot I tell yah that incredible marketing machine that has the Panthers at a operating income in the RED sure is awesome!

"Virtu Financial is one of the largest high frequency electronic trading and market making firms. Virtu executes various trading strategies in equities, fixed income, currencies and commodities across numerous stock exchanges and other markets. Virtu uses proprietary technology-enabled strategies to trade large volumes of securities. Virtu operates on more than 25 exchanges globally including NYSE Euronext, NASDAQ and the Chicago Mercantile Exchange.

Based in New York City, Virtu was founded by Vincent Viola, the former Chairman of the New York Mercantile Exchange."

--

I'm going to guess that Viola knows a little more about business and marketing than you do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandShore. Show OrrandShore's posts

Bettman is prime example of what's wrong with the NHL in today's economy. If the NHL were smart (and they are NOT) they would put teams in at least two Canadian cities and "wipe out" Florida and Phoenix.  Even if the NHL put a team in Hartford it would do better than this Florida debacle.  How many lost tickets does it take for Bettman to "wake up"?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Why do we have a post about the Florida Panthers,stay go don't care,unless your really a Panther fan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yep, those kids grew up in Florida.  Pretty awesome, huh?

No, they all didn't hone their skills in Florida but they were all born there or moved there.

Brian Leetch was born in Texas but his skills were honed in Connecticut.

Seth Jones was born in Texas but honed his skills in Colorado.

Texas doesn't get credit for either.

I've skated at rinks in and around Melbourne, Boca Raton and West Palm. 85% to 95% of the people I skated with were from either Canada or the North East. The ones that were born in Florida that I skated with were from families that were originally from either Canada or the North East.

The Florida Panthers have done jack to develop any skaters in Florida, people who migrated from Canada and the North East have. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Panthers average losing anywhere between $12M-$14M a year according to Forbes, for the last 6 years. How much money the Panthers parent company is worth is irrelevant.

If there isn't an announcement by the NHL that the Panthers are either moving to Quebec, Seattle or becoming a new franchise by the end of the 2015 season- I will come back and open a thread announcing you won the debate.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Panthers average losing anywhere between $12M-$14M a year according to Forbes, for the last 6 years. How much money the Panthers parent company is worth is irrelevant.

If there isn't an announcement by the NHL that the Panthers are either moving to Quebec, Seattle or becoming a new franchise by the end of the 2015 season- I will come back and open a thread announcing you won the debate.

Your lack of knowledge pertaining to the economics involved here is clear.

I look forward to that thread.

Doopid.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The main problem with attendance numbers is where this thread started.  If 250K of 600K attendance over the course of a season are basically papering the house, then your paid attendance is really 350K, not 600K.  And that's without taking market differences in real ticket prices into account.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh, and Tony Soprano buying the franchise as a legit business to launder the money he makes loansharking isn't persuasive.

I'm still on the side of keeping the Panthers in South Florida though.  As much as it might frustrate us on some "NAS can't possibly be right" level, it means national penetration for TV and visibility in a market that has an ex-pat and snowbird market that just might, might infect the general populace. Hey, the Panthers were prominently featured in an episode of Dexter.

Tallon will salt the earth there for a while, but I hope the team does get some mojo back at some point so that the franchise is at least viable as something other than a write off or legit business cover.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

and what does BB&T mean for the arena name? is that a bar name?

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

and what does BB&T mean for the arena name? is that a bar name?

It's a bank down here.  Branch Banking and Trust.  Super creative name.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Those prices speak volumes about why there shouldn't be an NHL team there.

I agree.  A last place team not being able to draw large crowds in a football area on an early season Sunday 3pm game speaks volumes about why the NHL should remove a team from the sixth largest metro area in the USA.

Nice try. Go make all the excuses you want, bottom line there shouldn't be an NHL team there.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

I went to a Panther game once and they handed out an explanation of the rules.

Explaining offsides, icing ect.

Being from Canada I declined,

People sitting around me had no clue and I was always explaing rules to people

In response to stan17's comment:

Nice try. Go make all the excuses you want, bottom line there shouldn't be an NHL team there.

Two questions for you:

1.  Why not?

2.  How does that team affect your life?

• Sections
    Shortcuts