Most Hated Rivals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: Most Hated Rivals

I was really hoping the NHL would schedule some sort of home and home set between Boston and Vancouver like they did with the Bruins and Wings a couple years ago. Know it doesn't happen often between western and eastern teams but that would have been awesome.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Red Sox vs. Yankees has a much larger history and following around the world.  Add in many more games each year and I'd put that over the top.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Great rivalry but have to disagree.

1. Too many years in between post season matchups.
    2. Not sure I can judge a rivalry by how many people watch.
    3. B's--Habs, I can't get enough, Sox-Yanks is almost painful to watch these days with how long a game takes.
    4. This day in age, there is still a hatred between B's and Habs, now with Pedro out of the mix we have Pedroia and Jeter chatting and laughing during a game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]Currently Van AllTime Habs I like Ottawa and Philly.  Richards/Hartnell/Cobourn/Pronger/Giroux.  Like them all.  Love Neil in Ottawa.  Buffalo- no hate. just annoying Ruff and Miller Leafs- feel sorry for them and I hope they make the playoffs. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Neil's a punk. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Neil's a punk. 
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I'd like to have him on the Bruins. Him and Lucic have had some good ones.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Great rivalry but have to disagree. 1. Too many years in between post season matchups. 2. Not sure I can judge a rivalry by how many people watch. 3. B's--Habs, I can't get enough, Sox-Yanks is almost painful to watch these days with how long a game takes. 4. This day in age, there is still a hatred between B's and Habs, now with Pedro out of the mix we have Pedroia and Jeter chatting and laughing during a game.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

There have been many seasons when B's/Habs haven't mattered much.  The Sox/Yanks is going on 100 years old and you're back-seating it based upon a couple of years.

Rivalries don't need post season play to be fueled. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : There have been many seasons when B's/Habs haven't mattered much.  The Sox/Yanks is going on 100 years old and you're back-seating it based upon a couple of years. Rivalries don't need post season play to be fueled. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I'd say the postseason is where most if not all rivalries are born. Celtics-Lakers are a perfect example of this. We wouldnt even consider the Canucks a rival if not for a post season match up. Even when the Bruins and Habs arent contenders their games tend to be very entertaining, and I'm not so sure their was a stretch when at least one of them wasnt a good team. For a stretch in the 80's the Yankees were horrible and the Sox werent much better. it picked back up in the 90's to what we have today. In the late 80's it was the Oakland A's who were the biggest thorn in the Red Sox side.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : I'd say the postseason is where most if not all rivalries are born. Celtics-Lakers are a perfect example of this. We wouldnt even consider the Canucks a rival if not for a post season match up. Even when the Bruins and Habs arent contenders their games tend to be very entertaining, and I'm not so sure their was a stretch when at least one of them wasnt a good team. For a stretch in the 80's the Yankees were horrible and the Sox werent much better. it picked back up in the 90's to what we have today. In the late 80's it was the Oakland A's who were the biggest thorn in the Red Sox side.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I don't consider the Canucks rivals.  In my life, there have been seven games that even registered.  For most of the 2000s, the B's were pretty inert, lead by Joe Thornton.  There really weren't too many exciting games.  McLaren on Zednik was probably the highlight of most of the decade. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]How could anyone here not say Montreal??  I know the Canucks have annoyed us for the past 18 months, but c'mon, keep some perspective.  Not only have the Habs beat the Bruins in heartbreaking fashion many, many times, but they also have the most insanely arrogant organization in the league.  Montreal is the only place where I expect the Bruins to get jobbed on calls, and those clowns love to come down to Boston and prance around the Garden signing soccer songs.  It's sickening. It's Montreal every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  They won't be bad for long either... I also hate the Flyers (franchise, fans, everything) and the Canucks (current team, coach, GM). But I rooted for the Canucks hard in the 94' Cup and was a big Trevor Linden fan.  I've never rooted for Montreal.  Not once.  
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I did...once, and the bastards let me down.  New Years Eve 1975 I believe.  And like you, I can't fathom Montreal not being on the top of anyones list. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Neil's a punk. 
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

15 goals, fights all comers...hits like a train.  True type of NHL tough guy.  He can play. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : 15 goals, fights all comers...hits like a train.  True type of NHL tough guy.  He can play. 

Yeah, I also think of his disgusting cheap shot that practically killed Chris Drury (think Matt Cooke), and his more recent jumping of Seidenberg after crashing the net after a whistle (and after dodging fights from Chara, Lucic, and Thornton all night).

Good player and I'd probably like him some if he was here, but a dirty punk too.

I'm not so sure he fights "all comers" either.  I remember he would always turn down Colton Orr during the Leafs games.  He'd wait for McGratton to fight the big dogs and then pick the middle-weights for himself.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I hate the scabs, but have some respect for them.
    I despise everything about the scuzz ball "penguins"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Yeah, I also think of his disgusting cheap shot that practically killed Chris Drury (think Matt Cooke), and his more recent jumping of Seidenberg after crashing the net after a whistle (and after dodging fights from Chara, Lucic, and Thornton all night). Good player and I'd probably like him some if he was here, but a dirty punk too. I'm not so sure he fights "all comers" either.  I remember he would always turn down Colton Orr during the Leafs games.  He'd wait for McGratton to fight the big dogs and then pick the middle-weights for himself.
    I thought this about Neil myself, but i have to give him kudo's for getting his lunch fed to him by Lucic on one occasion.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : I thought this about Neil myself, but i have to give him kudo's for getting his lunch fed to him by Lucic on one occasion.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  He's fought Lucic. Chara, and Thornton.  

He has also turned them down a number of times too.  More like "take some comers, sometimes" 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Yeah, I also think of his disgusting cheap shot that practically killed Chris Drury (think Matt Cooke), and his more recent jumping of Seidenberg after crashing the net after a whistle (and after dodging fights from Chara, Lucic, and Thornton all night). Good player and I'd probably like him some if he was here, but a dirty punk too. I'm not so sure he fights "all comers" either.  I remember he would always turn down Colton Orr during the Leafs games.  He'd wait for McGratton to fight the big dogs and then pick the middle-weights for himself.

Thats funny considering the Bruins roster and ST fought Spacek. 

Neil answered the bell and fought Chara.  Hes fought every player on the Bruins I believe hasnt he?  Cheap shot on Drury?  Hmmm.  Please show me where Neil has ever been suspended and maybe we can continue this.  Neil is a hockey players hockey player. 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOnXZpPwkoU
    Awesome hockey hit.  Awesome.  And most of his hits are in this variety.

When he fought Seids he immediately anwered the bell the next game and fought the biggest man in hockey.  I have seen numerous Bruins pick on other smaller players and teams.  Neil will fight anyone. 
    I would love him on our 3-4th line.  He doesnt stage fight...he fights when he mad or when the time is right. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F19JrN-RadM
    Neil takes it easy on him by the way.  Seidenburg is a bear but Neil could have really pumped him if he wanted to.
    I have seen Horton/Lucic deliver these same type of sucker punches to delight of the faithful. 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIUmQQRh5Ps

You hold every right to call Neil a punk...He is one of my favorite non bruins.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKKzDOFK5EM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEC9uqueZW4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNNMXrEwFcw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfof6bpl42M

I understand that we tend to dislike hard nosed players that challenge our own.  Neil is a beauty.  15 snipes.  Lots of hit and heart.  Love him! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Agreed.  He's fought Lucic. Chara, and Thornton.   He has also turned them down a number of times too.  More like "take some comers, sometimes" 

You need to do a refresher of hockeyfights.com over the last 3 yrs for a sample size.  I wouldnt even class Neil as a super heavyweight.  But he has fought the biggest and baddest in the game.  Not many can say they have danced more than once with Chara and lived.  He does have a sprinkling of non heavy weight fighters.  News flash.  Lucic has a lot of those as well.  And he is a massive mass of humanity.  Neil doesnt stage fights...he fights when mad...very similar to Lucic.  To say he picks his spots is simply not true. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Whoa shupe, whoa.  I didn't call him a pedafile.

I said he threw a horrible hit on Drury.  Check the tape.  It's awful. 10+ games by today's standards, and no reason for it at all.

I said he jumped Seidenberg.  He did.

I said he ducked some fights and let McGratton fight the big guys.  McGratton has stated this clearly and I remember watching it.

So, I didn't say I hated him, but he plays dirty sometimes and he doesn't exactly "take all comers".

You can find 500 clips of him hitting people and rag on ST all you want -- doesn't change the above.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I like Neil when he's not playing against the Bruins. When it comes to Bruins vs. Sens I can't stand the guy.

He does have a history of dodging fights and going after non fighters, but to his credit he has taken on Chara twice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Whoa shupe, whoa.  I didn't call him a pedafile. I said he threw a horrible hit on Drury.  Check the tape.  It's awful. 10+ games by today's standards, and no reason for it at all. I said he jumped Seidenberg.  He did. I said he ducked some fights and let McGratton fight the big guys.  McGratton has stated this clearly and I remember watching it. So, I didn't say I hated him, but he plays dirty sometimes and he doesn't exactly "take all comers". You can find 500 clips of him hitting people and rag on ST all you want -- doesn't change the above.

Hit on Drury was very bad...but for a guy who thumps a lot he lands a lot more clean then ever crossing the line.  If you think Neil doesnt take on all comers you really need to do the research on him.
    Please check out hockeyfights.com  from his coming into the league and throughout.  Hes fought every heavy weight in his era.  Simon, Domi, Chara, Orr, Godard, Shelley etc etc etc.   When you change your claim he doesnt take on all comers I will calm down.  :-)

I think he is the ideal tough guy in the league...he can play...he was awesome for the Sens last year. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]I like Neil when he's not playing against the Bruins. When it comes to Bruins vs. Sens I can't stand the guy. He does have a history of dodging fights and going after non fighters, but to his credit he has taken on Chara twice.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

hockeyfights.com

you do your homework as well.  I encourage you to go watch and then come back...the guy has an outstanding fight card vs legends  :-)  After Lucic tuned him I could not believe he was still standing.  He then fights him again.  Chara twice...Domi multiple times...Simon multiple times.  He actually always went looking for Domi...plus if you watch his fights a lot are coming in for team mates. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Hit on Drury was very bad...but for a guy who thumps a lot he lands a lot more clean then ever crossing the line.  If you think Neil doesnt take on all comers you really need to do the research on him. Please check out hockeyfights.com  from his coming into the league and throughout.  Hes fought every heavy weight in his era.  Simon, Domi, Chara, Orr, Godard, Shelley etc etc etc.   When you change your claim he doesnt take on all comers I will calm down.  :-) I think he is the ideal tough guy in the league...he can play...he was awesome for the Sens last year. 

Yeah, he's a good player, and as I said, I'd probably like him the Bruins.  

My slant is that I've always been a Chris Drury fan so that hit just stands out for me.  It's the type that could end a career and I still don't know why he did it.  Drury faded pretty quickly after a very promising start to his career and I always wondered if that hit had some permanent effects.

For once I applauded Ruff for sending out the goons and jumping Spezza afterwards.  It's what I wish the Bruins did after the Matt Cooke hit.

Other than that, Neil isn't so horrible.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : hockeyfights.com you do your homework as well.  I encourage you to go watch and then come back...the guy has an outstanding fight card vs legends  :-)  After Lucic tuned him I could not believe he was still standing.  He then fights him again.  Chara twice...Domi multiple times...Simon multiple times.  He actually always went looking for Domi...plus if you watch his fights a lot are coming in for team mates. 

Haha I was just on there looking at some of his fights then saw your post. Domi, and Simon were a bit before my time but there are some impressive goons on his card... Godard, Rypien, Orr, Thornton, Shelly, etc. He even pounded on Downie a couple times, and Aaron Rome once. He's done some questionable over the edge things in his career but that's a result of the style of game he plays. Some times players go over the edge whether intentionally or not. Of course everything looks intentional when we have access to replays, slow motion, and Shanahan's mind reading abilities. A lot of these "dirty hits" are a result of hockey being an emotional game and players getting caught up in that emotion. I highly doubt Raffi Torres, Chris Neil, Matt Cooke, Steve Downie, etc. go out and plan on severley injuring guys (i hope). There inability to control their emotions during a game doesn't exactly excuse their actions, they deserve the suspensions they get, but it's part of the game and a result of their style of play.

I enjoy watching him play against other teams, especially the Rangers during this past years playoffs. But when he's on the ice during a Bruins v. Sens game he will be one of my least favorite players on the ice - after the diva Spezza of course.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Yeah, he's a good player, and as I said, I'd probably like him the Bruins.   My slant is that I've always been a Chris Drury fan so that hit just stands out for me.  It's the type that could end a career and I still don't know why he did it.  Drury faded pretty quickly after a very promising start to his career and I always wondered if that hit had some permanent effects. For once I applauded Ruff for sending out the goons and jumping Spezza afterwards.  It's what I wish the Bruins did after the Matt Cooke hit. Other than that, Neil isn't so horrible.

I didnt know this.  Yes the Drury hit crossed the line in my eyes.  I forgot you are a Rocky Mountain Boy...
    Here is one last clip of you and bisson.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80lM8ukLDns

Neil Neil Neil!

Sections
Shortcuts