Most Hated Rivals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Most Hated Rivals

In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Haha I was just on there looking at some of his fights then saw your post. Domi, and Simon were a bit before my time but there are some impressive goons on his card... Godard, Rypien, Orr, Thornton, Shelly, etc. He even pounded on Downie a couple times, and Aaron Rome once. He's done some questionable over the edge things in his career but that's a result of the style of game he plays. Some times players go over the edge whether intentionally or not. Of course everything looks intentional when we have access to replays, slow motion, and Shanahan's mind reading abilities. A lot of these "dirty hits" are a result of hockey being an emotional game and players getting caught up in that emotion. I highly doubt Raffi Torres, Chris Neil, Matt Cooke, Steve Downie, etc. go out and plan on severley injuring guys (i hope). There inability to control their emotions during a game doesn't exactly excuse their actions but it's part of the game and a result of their style of play. I enjoy watching him play against other teams, especially the Rangers during this past years playoffs. But when he's on the ice during a Bruins v. Sens game he will be one of my least favorite players on the ice - after the diva Spezza of course.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

Matt Cooke is a piece of garbage.  I love watching the Kane one punch as much as I can watch it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Matt Cooke is a piece of garbage.  I love watching the Kane one punch as much as I can watch it.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Same. His sudden transformation into a "golden boy" makes him even more freaking annoying. All the positive attention that the NBC clowns give him is sickenning. Must have watched that one punch KO like 30 times over the past season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : hockeyfights.com you do your homework as well.  I encourage you to go watch and then come back...the guy has an outstanding fight card vs legends  :-)  After Lucic tuned him I could not believe he was still standing.  He then fights him again.  Chara twice...Domi multiple times...Simon multiple times.  He actually always went looking for Domi...plus if you watch his fights a lot are coming in for team mates. 

Good hard nosed player. He doesnt back down very often, and those lucic fights arent one sided, in all of them they both land some stingers...I know he went after Seidenberg, but we had Thornton pounding away on Roman Hamrlik.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]I like Neil when he's not playing against the Bruins. When it comes to Bruins vs. Sens I can't stand the guy. He does have a history of dodging fights and going after non fighters, but to his credit he has taken on Chara twice.

I know what you mean.  I don't see him in the same light as say, Carcillo or Patrick Kaleta.  I enjoyed watching him and Carkner knock about some Rangers in their series.  I think we can put Neil vs the Leafs' Grabovski in the non-fighter category.  In his defense he didn't actively seek out Grabovski for a pounding but responded to an initial shove from him.  I give props to Grabovski for engaging him. http://youtu.be/ET4QRF9r8h0

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : I didnt know this.  Yes the Drury hit crossed the line in my eyes.  I forgot you are a Rocky Mountain Boy... Here is one last clip of you and bisson. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80lM8ukLDns Neil Neil Neil!

That's tough, but fair.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : There have been many seasons when B's/Habs haven't mattered much.  The Sox/Yanks is going on 100 years old and you're back-seating it based upon a couple of years. Rivalries don't need post season play to be fueled. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Especially in baseball where only one team would make the post season per division .I'de say it's a hated rivalry just because the Yankees were a big reason why the Red Sox would not come out of their division.
    Anyway, the New York - Boston rivalry in sports is strong , strongest in Baseball .
    Of course I chose the Habs ,  the terror for me started as of 1976.
    I can the Rangers, Pens to my most hated list

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I like Neil when he's not playing against the Bruins. When it comes to Bruins vs. Sens I can't stand the guy. He does have a history of dodging fights and going after non fighters, but to his credit he has taken on Chara twice.

How does he go after non-fighters? 

I just watched the fight with Grabovski.  Clearly Grabovski is a non-fighter, right?  Well, Grabovski shouldn't have given Neil a hard shove from behind while Schenn and Foligno were trading.  What should Neil have done?  Maybe give him a stern warning?  Maybe thrown a few cuss words? 

Look at Neil's fight card.  After watching him through the years, I'm very curious also about him dodging fights.  Can I have some examples on that also?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : How does he go after non-fighters?  I just watched the fight with Grabovski.  Clearly Grabovski is a non-fighter, right?  Well, Grabovski shouldn't have given Neil a hard shove from behind while Schenn and Foligno were trading.  What should Neil have done?  Maybe give him a stern warning?  Maybe thrown a few cuss words?  Look at Neil's fight card.  After watching him through the years, I'm very curious also about him dodging fights.  Can I have some examples on that also?

Exactly. It was more like Grabovski starts a fight that Neil finishes. I've never seen Neil dodge a fight. I'm sure he has said no many times but all the enforcers do it. Wrong time, hurt hand etc..Lucic wouldnt go with Laraque, cause it would have been foolish to do so. Most people said Lucic whimped out. I thought Laraque looked stupid, and if I remmber correctly Lucci scored the first goal moments later.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This dodging fights stuff might be related to this article on TSN:  http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=339542 in which super skilled Brian McGrattan lights up Neil for not fighting.  McGrattan is bent because he has to fight Neil's battles.

Dear Brian,

What else would you like to do today?

If Neil is giving you a steady stream of opponents, you don't bash him, you buy him a car.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Neil dodge a fight ?  or just chose not to fight at that point in the game ?
    I've seen him do it often . He's done it with George Laraque but so did Lucic, I've also seen him say no to Lucic a couple times only later that game or in teh season he drops them with Lucic.  The same with Chara.
    To me it's not dodging a fight but waiting for the right time.
    Now, if Grabovski , in the heat of the moment decides to drop them , I think it'll make Neil look worse if he doesn't fight him. They are playing on rival teams !
    It's the same when Boychuk dropped hs gloves with Spacek although I never understood why the Montreal media freaked out , Johnny is not a fighter either. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Agreed.  He's fought Lucic. Chara, and Thornton.   He has also turned them down a number of times too.  More like "take some comers, sometimes" 
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    He certainly likes to pick his spots Fletch. I also think he's a punk.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : He certainly likes to pick his spots Fletch. I also think he's a punk.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Your sig, minus the goals, minus the fights.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : He certainly likes to pick his spots Fletch. I also think he's a punk.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

As I said to shupe, I can't get past the hit on Drury.  To me, it was virtually the same hit as Matt Cooke's on Savard.

...except Drury's team chose to do something about it afterwards...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Your sig, minus the goals, minus the fights.
    There's a difference between dirty and dangerous. Guys like Linesman and Marchand play a dirty game and drive opponents crazy. Guys like Neil, Cooke and Torres play a dangerous game that ends careers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Marchand's elbow to Umberger's head could have been trouble.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Marchand's elbow to Umberger's head could have been trouble.
    I see a huge difference  between that hit and the ones that Neil and Cooke have become known for. They are predators looking to injure people.
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/04/22/nhl-playoff-diary-was-chris-neils-hit-really-as-bad-as-what-raffi-torres-did/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4mBiQf36vU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Zbwz9bmhA

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Let's see if Marchand can continue to tone down his antics this season.  If so, I'll join you on his fan train.

That elbow to Umberger is bad, though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Let's see if Marchand can continue to tone down his antics this season.  If so, I'll join you on his fan train. That elbow to Umberger is bad, though.
    Agreed. Cheers!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Johhny Bucyk's many hip checks were boderline.

Don Marcotte's elbow to the head of Gainey's noggin in the 78' finals was terrible.

Stan Jonathan should have been suspended for flattening Billy Smith.

Murray Baron was not ready for Troy Mallete's right hand he should have he was too rough.

Along with these former Bruins, Marchand should never be allowed to come back to Boston after he is done playing here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]Johhny Bucyk's many hip checks were boderline. Don Marcotte's elbow to the head of Gainey's noggin in the 78' finals was terrible. Stan Jonathan should have been suspended for flattening Billy Smith. Murray Baron was not ready for Troy Mallete's right hand he should have he was too rough. Along with these former Bruins, Marchand should never be allowed to come back to Boston after he is done playing here.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Are you saying because some of Boychuks hio checks may be borderline he should not be allowed back in the city of Boston after he is done playing?

Are you also saying the same about Mallette? They both dropped the gloves, both threw a punch and only Mallettes landed. Your banning him from the city because of that?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Are you saying because some of Boychuks hio checks may be borderline he should not be allowed back in the city of Boston after he is done playing? Are you also saying the same about Mallette? They both dropped the gloves, both threw a punch and only Mallettes landed. Your banning him from the city because of that?
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm is easily missed in print. I'm thinking this is one of those times.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Sarcasm is easily missed in print. I'm thinking this is one of those times.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Apparently for some on here this is serious business.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Hated Rivals : Apparently for some on here this is serious business.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Yes it is........so relax Mr. Serious. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I looked away and didn't realize how much response "Neil's a punk" had generated.

I don't give Neil much credit for fighting Lucic.  He did it once.  He got tomato canned.  He hasn't gone with him since, but he sure is a different player against the Bruins when Lucic isn't in the lineup.  Not only does he go with Seidenberg, he does his little "whoop!" like he's the champ after the fact. He picks his spots.  He went with Chara but basically clung to his leg like a 2 year old who doesn't want daddy to leave for work - good trade for the Senators.

Before we go calling him a 15 goal man - he had 13 last year, and he's been in double digits twice in the last 5 years.  He had 16 in his best year.  His skills are only slighty above Shawn Thornton levels.  He's a better hitter - his shot on Boychuk was clean, for example.  But in many ways, it's his ability to run around looking for the huge hit that makes him a punk.  He acts like he wears the belt, and tucks his tail when someone proposes a title fight.

Sections
Shortcuts