Most of the PP problems are more on the offense not the defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

Most of the PP problems are more on the offense not the defense

Lots of blame for Kaberles inneffectiveness on the PP, and most of it is warranted. But the problem I keep seeing over and over and over is that we are dumping in pretty well, but our forwards arent winning the board battles to keep the puck in the zone. They seem to be getting to the spots in plenty of time, but just arent stopping the puck as it goes by or just losing the outright battle for it against the boards. I have no idea why this is the case, our boys are plenty well big and talented enough to at least be winning those board battles at a better than 50% clip IMO. Of course, they have been doing the dump and chase for so long, other teams cheat towards it, but still, it seems like they have the time to fight for the puck. They are just losing.
    Perplexing, and certainly something that can be fixed. If this team had a real power play, I am not sure anyone could beat us right now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Most of the PP problems are more on the offense not the defense

The players that don't panic with the puck that could set the umbrella up much more effective ala Savard aren't getting 1st unit PP time Marchand, Peverley and Seguin this is one of the many reasons why Geoff Ward should be fired.

Same ingredients same soup. Kaberle can't shoot the puck as well for the forwards either not his fault Geoff doesn't get having Seguin and Bergeron set up for onetimers Roloson wouldn't be able to defend these shots.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

One thing that bothers me is why players seem to want to set up for the howitzer from the point. A simple wrister has the same effectiveness if it is tipped or hits something on the way to the net.Lidstrom does it all the time to much success.If it hits some legs or Roloson can't see it many times the puck is just lying there ripe for a shot.Franzen gets many of his goals this way. Chara ,Lucic, Horton can all put the puck in the net just get it to the front of the net. But when guys like Kabs refuse to shoot its all a moot point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

1st team: Lucic (in front of the net), Beregeron, Seguin (left side boards), Chara, Kaberle...these guys could catch up to a dump, control the puck once they got it, and shoot and pass precisely.
    2nd team: Ryder (in front of the net), Marchand, Horton (left side boards), 2 ds at the point...weaker version of the first unit but same characteristics

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

In Response to Most of the PP problems are more on the offense not the defense:
    [QUOTE]Lots of blame for Kaberles inneffectiveness on the PP, and most of it is warranted. But the problem I keep seeing over and over and over is that we are dumping in pretty well, but our forwards arent winning the board battles to keep the puck in the zone. They seem to be getting to the spots in plenty of time, but just arent stopping the puck as it goes by or just losing the outright battle for it against the boards. I have no idea why this is the case, our boys are plenty well big and talented enough to at least be winning those board battles at a better than 50% clip IMO. Of course, they have been doing the dump and chase for so long, other teams cheat towards it, but still, it seems like they have the time to fight for the puck. They are just losing. Perplexing, and certainly something that can be fixed. If this team had a real power play, I am not sure anyone could beat us right now.
    Posted by mikzor[/QUOTE]

Are you serious ? You really think the problem with the PP is the lack of puck
    possession after the shoot in ?  Watch the next 3 powerplays and time how long the Bruins have puck possession...you'll be surprised!

The problem is they don't know what to do with the puck ...they seem to be
    winging it with no set plays !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

In Response to Re: Most of the PP problems are more on the offense not the defense:
    [QUOTE]One thing that bothers me is why players seem to want to set up for the howitzer from the point. A simple wrister has the same effectiveness if it is tipped or hits something on the way to the net.Lidstrom does it all the time to much success.If it hits some legs or Roloson can't see it many times the puck is just lying there ripe for a shot.Franzen gets many of his goals this way. Chara ,Lucic, Horton can all put the puck in the net just get it to the front of the net. But when guys like Kabs refuse to shoot its all a moot point.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

How many wristers from the point are you seeing that actually make it through to the goalie?  No thanks ! I'd rather have Chara fire away and at the very least , start knocking off some of those Tampa players !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Most of the PP problems are more on the offense not the defense:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Most of the PP problems are more on the offense not the defense : Are you serious ? You really think the problem with the PP is the lack of puck possession after the shoot in ?  Watch the next 3 powerplays and time how long the Bruins have puck possession...you'll be surprised! The problem is they don't know what to do with the puck ...they seem to be winging it with no set plays !
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni[/QUOTE]
    Gaining the zone with possession is absolutely a problem. You'd notice this if you were watching the PP instead of a stopwatch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Fluto Shinzawa

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

the problem starts with losing battles for the puck, then panicking when a defender gets near them and force a bad pass or turnover.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Where I can blame the D is when they bring it up ice and decide to dump in.  They seem to always put it where a Tampa player or two get to it first.
    Once in the O-zone the D does a pretty good job passing the puck around with movement. Sure Kaberle doesn't shoot it and that's because most if the times he has no shooting lane to shoot.  He's not the fastest skater and therefore I'm glad at times he doesn't take the chance for a Tampa player to race up ice with it on a blocked shot.
    The forwards need to pass that puck after and get better movement. That'll open ice for the shot at the point and also free themselves up for that one-timer (good point Dawg) .  That's a major weakness for Roloson.
    Seguin as a great one-timer and really don;t understand why in PP situations they don't use him more.
    Recchi, I do like but his job is to get to the front of the net. If Chara is doing that now why put Recchi on the PP ?

Anyway,  Bruins will score tonight on their PPs. I'm not worried.
    GO BRUINS !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Where I can blame the D is when they bring it up ice and decide to dump in.  They seem to always put it where a Tampa player or two get to it first. Once in the O-zone the D does a pretty good job passing the puck around with movement. Sure Kaberle doesn't shoot it and that's because most if the times he has no shooting lane to shoot.  He's not the fastest skater and therefore I'm glad at times he doesn't take the chance for a Tampa player to race up ice with it on a blocked shot. The forwards need to pass that puck after and get better movement. That'll open ice for the shot at the point and also free themselves up for that one-timer (good point Dawg) .  That's a major weakness for Roloson. Seguin as a great one-timer and really don;t understand why in PP situations they don't use him more. Recchi, I do like but his job is to get to the front of the net. If Chara is doing that now why put Recchi on the PP ? Anyway,  Bruins will score tonight on their PPs. I'm not worried. GO BRUINS !!!  
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    Good points Legion. The forwards need to keep moving in order to give the D a better target to pass to.Bottom line is that a 4 man box can easily block out a 5 man PP when the PP is stationary. Constant movement is the key.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most of the PP problems are more on the offense not the defense : Gaining the zone with possession is absolutely a problem. You'd notice this if you were watching the PP instead of a stopwatch.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

In fact, you would have to be blind not to see it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

Well now I know why you all sit at home trying to be coaches.....  YOU stink at diagnosing a problem.  You want to blame it on a single entity, but it is not.

1) Kaberle, is a NO SHOT person on the power play... that means that instead of having to quickly guard (5) players when the B's are on the PP the opposition knows that they need drop off that turd and just defend on the others.  That allows them to stay closer and block more shots.
    2) Most players understand a well placed Wrist shot is actually more effectiove than the huge slapper.... the reason is that it takes time for one to pull back the stick and drive back through the puck.  Oh it will travel at a higher rate of speed, but the defenders don't care..... they just need to deflect it, and it deflects just as well as a wrister.  The shot that can be launched at the net in the minimum amt of time will most likely get them better results- especially since the defense plays off Kraperle.
    3) Dump in problems... well those exist for every team.... the main problem is that they are out of sync when they dump in.  SInce the first player back to the puck "SHOULD" be a defender the B's need a clean hit on him ASAP.   Have you noticed how seldom they hit that first person lately?

SO I guess what I am saying is that this PP is lacking because all their facets are not going well- now each player wants to make it work on his own....  Oh and make the skaters skate... dang it.  I hate watching a power play that stands there and passes the puck like a bunch of old ladies knitting... Can;t score if the puck does not go on the net.  How many PP's have we seen where the shots on goal was ZERO or ONE?  That is terrible.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Take it to the net and trample rolo and the d.

The dump and chase -- egad

skate the puck right up until all your forwards are stopped at the line (to give the D a fighting chance) shoot it at end boards to go to the one that is back waiting for it, do a skate by him and let him either shoot it out or pass to his partner and shoot it out,

yeah, that's the ticket.

As said by many others, many times, rinse recycle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

the problem hasn't been what they do when they set up, its been their puck pursuit

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most of the PP problems are more on the offense not the defense : Good points Legion. The forwards need to keep moving in order to give the D a better target to pass to.Bottom line is that a 4 man box can easily block out a 5 man PP when the PP is stationary. Constant movement is the key.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

That's obvious Dez ! But good point nonetheless !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]The players that don't panic with the puck that could set the umbrella up much more effective ala Savard aren't getting 1st unit PP time Marchand, Peverley and Seguin this is one of the many reasons why Geoff Ward should be fired. Same ingredients same soup. Kaberle can't shoot the puck as well for the forwards either not his fault Geoff doesn't get having Seguin and Bergeron set up for onetimers Roloson wouldn't be able to defend these shots.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Jeff Ward should be fired becasue the Bruins have the worst PP , period !
    No need to justify the firing any further.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Well, we know Claude will be back, and if he holds to form , so will his coaches. Might be time for Peter to step in and help with the coaching selections.