Mr.Shanahan will see you now

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now:
    To me though Dez not hitting someone in the numbers does mean something in favor of the accused. Because AF shoved with his glove on top of the hip not a cross check with a stick in the back means something in the evaluation of supplementary discipline IMO.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I see your point there I suppose as you're apparently discussing intent. I agree on the lack of intent. I just felt it was extremely reckless.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

You see this typ of hit across the league a hundred times a season. If the player is leaning back a bit and his edges are set to absorb the hit -- nothing happens and play goes on.

With that being said -- Ference deserves a couple in the press box just due to McDonagh's one-point landing and subsequent injury status. What Chara absorbed earlier in the game was just as bad but -- no injury-no call.

Ference's absence for a few is no big deal -- Like I've said many times -- I like when this team has to deal with adversity. It gives the kids a chance to come up and get experience -- something thay need for playoff time when injuries and suspensions will be a reality. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : I have to disagree with you and the ref about this being charging Before you roll your eyes, I'm not saying it wasn't a reckless hit and deserving of the penalty.  It was.  But it wasn't charging The latter half of that game, the Bruins made a pretty clear strategic change with their D-Men, where they had them pinching in, chasing the puck deep and even carrying it in deep in to the offensive zone.  Chara, Boychuck and Ference in particular.  Ference wasn't coming across the ice, seeking McDonough out.  He was chipping the puck in and then chasing it behind the net He was coming in hard, wanted to get to the puck, McDonough got in between him and the puck and Ference in that instant made the wrong decision.  You can argue that the way McDonough played that and put himself in such a vulnerable position may not have been the smartest thing in the world, but the onus was still on Ference there to change his angle or hold up and try to muck for the puck, instead of blasting the guy off it, when that guy had his back to him and was a few feet in front of the boards It was boarding, not charging.  The ref got that part wrong....but got the minutes right.  Hopefully Shannahan gets it right too and doesn't go for more than a game or two here, as I saw no malice on that hit
    Posted by Swerengen

Sorry but I can't agree. He was in full flight and barely slowed up. It's still a charge whether he was seeking the guy out or not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Sorry but I can't agree. He was in full flight and barely slowed up. It's still a charge whether he was seeking the guy out or not.
    Posted by dezaruchi

But he wasn't a defender in that situation chasing someone with the puck.  He was the offensive player and he put the puck there and was chasing it in.  It wasn't until just before he got to it that an opposing player got there ahead of him

It wasn't the same kind of situation as any other charging calls we normaly see.  But it was clearly boarding.  How many boading calls have you seen where the guilty party was standing still?  They're always skating in.  Just like Ference was

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccoul. Show ccoul's posts

#21gets game, maybe more

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : But he wasn't a defender in that situation chasing someone with the puck.  He was the offensive player and he put the puck there and was chasing it in.  It wasn't until just before he got to it that an opposing player got there ahead of him It wasn't the same kind of situation as any other charging calls we normaly see.  But it was clearly boarding.  How many boading calls have you seen where the guilty party was standing still?  They're always skating in.  Just like Ference was
    Posted by Swerengen

Not very much happens on the ice for a player that's standing still. I'm saying you can glide into a guy and still get called for boarding. Speed was the major issue on this one. Ference basically said it himself.

“Obviously, I was going very fast,’’ said Ference. “You try to let up, hold up, and do what they teach you. But obviously it was a bad end result with him going in pretty hard.’’

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : I see your point there I suppose as you're apparently discussing intent. I agree on the lack of intent. I just felt it was extremely reckless. Posted by dezaruchi

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2012/01/andrew_ference_4.html

AF gets at least one game starting today anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It sure looks like McDonagh feints at Ference as though he's going to deliver pre-emptive contact - he dips a shoulder and sticks his leg out, then seems to think better of it.  Ference contacts him almost immediately after, so I think the reaction to a box-out looks right to me.  He's also racing for the puck, not racing toward a player with the puck, and more and more that has become the most dangerous play in hockey because neither player is wired to let up on a race to the puck.  It's a bad hit, but totally within the regular sphere of play, and that makes it the kind of thing the NHL has to be very careful about when setting precedents.  It's one thing to say guys who are trying for scoreboard highlight hits need to let up in the interest of player safety.  It's another to say that players need to lay off in races to the puck.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Why does anyone care about the numbers when Ference was booted for charging? It doesn't matter if he got him from the side or front on that one. He clearly charged him.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Chowda used this earlier for his agrument Dez. I think Ference already paid for his crime. I don't see this as a suspendable. The 5 & a game is sufficient. Pretty soon we're going to see a Bruin have an opportunity to lay a hit & not & it'll cost us a goal, or worse a series. Then Chowda & everyone else will be screaming for AF's head to shipped out of here! The suspensions are becoming as inconsistent as the ref's! It's getting so ridiculous how many threads there are in a run of day over this stuff! This is hockey & there will be contact! You can suspend the players all you want! You can try to make the players machines that react instinaniously all you want, but it'll never happen. They're not robots that have a sensor to tell them to stop immediately! Ference was in full flight & RM made up his mind to put himself in the way of Ference! IMO this is the same thing Bergy did when Jones hit him EXCEPT Jones had more time to lay off then Ference did!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It sure looks like McDonagh feints at Ference as though he's going to deliver pre-emptive contact - he dips a shoulder and sticks his leg out, then seems to think better of it.  Ference contacts him almost immediately after, so I think the reaction to a box-out looks right to me.  He's also racing for the puck, not racing toward a player with the puck, and more and more that has become the most dangerous play in hockey because neither player is wired to let up on a race to the puck.  It's a bad hit, but totally within the regular sphere of play, and that makes it the kind of thing the NHL has to be very careful about when setting precedents.  It's one thing to say guys who are trying for scoreboard highlight hits need to let up in the interest of player safety.  It's another to say that players need to lay off in races to the puck.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Bingo.  McDonough does make this tough for the forechecker because he is indecisive.  It looks like he is trying to decide whether to go for the puck or stop and brace for the hit.  He ends up doing neither and Ference clearly plays this as if McDonough were bracing for the hit.  Ference's fault and a boarding penalty for sure, but nothing more than that in my opinion.  Again, I would love to see the distinction drawn between that and McCloed's hit, which was not reviewed.

Now it becomes part of the running narrative about the Bruins being too rough and the Stanley Cup apologists are all over it.  Sigh...  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Chowda used this earlier for his agrument Dez. I think Ference already paid for his crime. I don't see this as a suspendable. The 5 & a game is sufficient. Pretty soon we're going to see a Bruin have an opportunity to lay a hit & not & it'll cost us a goal, or worse a series. Then Chowda & everyone else will be screaming for AF's head to shipped out of here! The suspensions are becoming as inconsistent as the ref's! It's getting so ridiculous how many threads there are in a run of day over this stuff! This is hockey & there will be contact! You can suspend the players all you want! You can try to make the players machines that react instinaniously all you want, but it'll never happen. They're not robots that have a sensor to tell them to stop immediately! Ference was in full flight & RM made up his mind to put himself in the way of Ference! IMO this is the same thing Bergy did when Jones hit him EXCEPT Jones had more time to lay off then Ference did!
    Posted by nitemare-38

Nite, if you look you'll see I wasn't lobbying for a suspension. I was just expecting one. Deserved or not, I knew Ference was getting one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Chowda used this earlier for his agrument Dez. I think Ference already paid for his crime. I don't see this as a suspendable. The 5 & a game is sufficient. Pretty soon we're going to see a Bruin have an opportunity to lay a hit & not & it'll cost us a goal, or worse a series. Then Chowda & everyone else will be screaming for AF's head to shipped out of here! The suspensions are becoming as inconsistent as the ref's! It's getting so ridiculous how many threads there are in a run of day over this stuff! This is hockey & there will be contact! You can suspend the players all you want! You can try to make the players machines that react instinaniously all you want, but it'll never happen. They're not robots that have a sensor to tell them to stop immediately! Ference was in full flight & RM made up his mind to put himself in the way of Ference! IMO this is the same thing Bergy did when Jones hit him EXCEPT Jones had more time to lay off then Ference did!
    Posted by nitemare-38

Ridiculous and stupid comment which has nothing to do with the hit in question. In an earlier post today I said I liked Ference a lot but I hated that play he made.

I don't care if it was Bobby friekin' Orr who made that hit I'd say the same thing. Dirty hit !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Ridiculous and stupid comment which has nothing to do with the hit in question. In an earlier post today I said I liked Ference a lot but I hated that play he made. I don't care if it was Bobby friekin' Orr who made that hit I'd say the same thing. Dirty hit !
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

It wasn't a dirty hit IMO! I think Shanny is starting to listen to the Ruff's & the Canuck's brass too much now! It wasn't a ridiculous comment at all Chowda, because when the time comes that a Bruin doesn't make a hit because he's more worried about a suspension than making the play you'll be the top of the totem pole whining about it!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Nite, if you look you'll see I wasn't lobbying for a suspension. I was just expecting one. Deserved or not, I knew Ference was getting one.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Oh I figured he might, but that's just it. It wasn't warranted & it's not consistent in what is & isn't anymore. Someone will be whining today about Hort's getting smacked. It's freakin hockey & I'm really getting tired of the suspensions!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Oh I figured he might, but that's just it. It wasn't warranted & it's not consistent in what is & isn't anymore. Someone will be whining today about Hort's getting smacked. It's freakin hockey & I'm really getting tired of the suspensions!
    Posted by nitemare-38

I don't blame Horton for his reaction. He's coming back from a concussion and Philly's AHL callup comes in high and late from the blind side. Watch the hit again and you'll see it was mere inches from being a replay of Cooke on Savard. Horton missed the rest of the game. I doubt it was from something other than that cheap play.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Interestingly, Shanahan called it boarding even though the call on the ice was charging. I guess he gets to change the call on review. Can't really argue with the assertion it was dangerous and avoidable. I do think Ference tried to angle round push him more from the side but their legs got tangled up.

"In his 12 previous NHL seasons Ference has been fined once for a gesture but not suspended" - Was that 'the' finger? LOL!

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=151724

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

Interestingly, Shanahan called it boarding even though the call on the ice was charging. I guess he gets to change the call on review. Can't really argue with the assertion it was dangerous and avoidable. I do think Ference tried to angle round push him more from the side but their legs got tangled up. "In his 12 previous NHL seasons Ference has been fined once for a gesture but not suspended" - Was that 'the' finger? LOL! http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=151724
    Posted by Kurako

He changed it because it WAS boarding, not charging.........Dez Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : He changed it because it WAS boarding, not charging.........Dez 
    Posted by Swerengen

I'm not sure what you think charging is. He boarded him at the end of a charge. I said that all along.

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to "Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now":
    In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Oh I figured he might, but that's just it. It wasn't warranted & it's not consistent in what is & isn't anymore. Someone will be whining today about Hort's getting smacked. It's freakin hockey & I'm really getting tired of the suspensions! Posted by nitemare-38
    So you think the hit to Horton's noggin was a hockey play.. Interesting.. Blind sided the guy with an elbow to the head? I thought they were trying to eliminate headshots.. My mistake...how foolish of me..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbbfan40. Show bbbfan40's posts

Interestingly, Shanahan called it boarding even though the call on the ice was charging. I guess he gets to change the call on review. Can't really argue with the assertion it was dangerous and avoidable. I do think Ference tried to angle round push him more from the side but their legs got tangled up. "In his 12 previous NHL seasons Ference has been fined once for a gesture but not suspended" - Was that 'the' finger? LOL! http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=151724
    Posted by Kurako

Agreed. Not sure that's a good trend. And, yes on the "my glove was stuck gesture."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : I'm not sure what you think charging is. He boarded him at the end of a charge. I said that all along. 42.1  Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner. Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Gotta love the NHL Rulebook using a word to define itself. 

"Yeah, so, you know, charing is when, you know, you charge someone."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Gotta love the NHL Rulebook using a word to define itself.  "Yeah, so, you know, charing is when, you know, you charge someone."
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

There's charging, checking

.....whatever happened to cash?

Sections
Shortcuts