Mr.Shanahan will see you now

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now

Thanks, notashot, i get to win something this week...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Ferrence even try to push him from the side but at the speed he was coming there was nothing he could do to avoid the contact ...not such a dirty hit ..no suspension

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

When did every questionable hit become a suspension? I thought that's why they had penalties in the game. I've done worse on occasion in my Rec. league.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now:
    [QUOTE]Ferrence even try to push him from the side but at the speed he was coming there was nothing he could do to avoid the contact ...not such a dirty hit ..no suspension Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011[/QUOTE]

I agree, but Shahanan won't. The fact remains that the NHL has become a league that is doing way too much to protect against body hits of any kind. Head shots, it should be about head shots, intentional head shots. That's what you should suspend for, not flips and hard checks into the boards. Instead we get what we have now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : I still think Marchand's suspension was overkill and the guy he flipped is a chronic injury-prone guy. He could have fallen on a loose piece of ice and still gotten a concussion. I'm just predicting what Shanahan will do. It's nothing close to Barnes on Savard---an absolute intent to murder one's head. Ference got the 5-min major and Rangers got the win. I'd just let it go, no suspension, but that's me.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Stu Barnes?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Stu Barnes?
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]
    He's so angry he's not thinking straight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

red, because Savard's career is over, and Crosby is next. The concussions can be diminished by simply bringing back the Red Line and bringing back the soft pads of the 1970s. Do that, and you can have the punishing checks and people won't get hurt and concussions will drop. Just make sure when someone gets a head shot, that person has the book thrown at them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Stu Barnes?

That guy was great!  Always played hard, never was a star.

It's a shame that he took out Savard like that, however.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]red, because Savard's career is over, and Crosby is next. The concussions can be diminished by simply bringing back the Red Line and bringing back the soft pads of the 1970s. Do that, and you can have the punishing checks and people won't get hurt and concussions will drop. Just make sure when someone gets a head shot, that person has the book thrown at them.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I agree on the pads, but why has it gone to the point where every single major is followed by people calling for a suspension? It's not all just about the concussions, because they're not all susepndable, even actual majors, or risky for causing severe injury. But the cries for suspension happen every time someone gets a 5 minute penalty now.

Are we going to become soccer? The major penalty our version of a red card?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

C'mon folks, I don't think the hit was 'cheap' or suspension worthy.

It was a bad hit, he got a major for it, and it cost them the game.  That should be the end of it.  Every hit is not suspension worthy.

Ference is coming in hard on the forecheck, which he is not used to doing.  McDonough slows down and shields the forecheck with his back, while facing the boards -- something that is dumb and is happening more and more these days.  No excuse though, Ference has to find another way to chase the puck and make that split-second call.  It was a misstake.

If Shanny is judging intent, as he seems to be doing a lot recently, he has to look at the situation and realize that there is absolutely no way Ference wants to board somebody with 3 minutes left in overtime.  This hit happens a lot.  A major penalty on the ice should cover it.

Stop the hysteria!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Stu Barnes was a goon,Ference isn't. (:

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]C'mon folks, I don't think the hit was 'cheap' or suspension worthy. It was a bad hit, he got a major for it, and it cost them the game.  That should be the end of it.  Every hit is not suspension worthy. Ference is coming in hard on the forecheck, which he is not used to doing.  McDonough slows down and shields the forecheck with his back, while facing the boards -- something that is dumb and is happening more and more these days.  No excuse though, Ference has to find another way to chase the puck and make that split-second call.  It was a misstake. If Shanny is judging intent, as he seems to be doing a lot recently, he has to look at the situation and realize that there is absolutely no way Ference wants to board somebody with 3 minutes left in overtime.  This hit happens a lot.  A major penalty on the ice should cover it. Stop the hysteria!
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Fletch, what a player deserves and what he gets hasn't exactly matched up so far this year. Ference questioned Shanahan's ability to decide on punishments. Shanahan might just give him a couple for that alone. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Stu Barnes was a goon,Ference isn't. (:
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Stu Barnes and Tim Brent

Couple-a Skating Clowns

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Fletch, what a player deserves and what he gets hasn't exactly matched up so far this year. Ference questioned Shanahan's ability to decide on punishments. Shanahan might just give him a couple for that alone. 
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Perhaps...if Shanahan has been fully reduced to settling personal scores and grudges instead of trying to be fair.  The Marchand call aside, I am still hopeful he hasn't sunk that far.

Is it naive to think he will still try to be consistent?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

My recollection might be off, but didn't Stu Barnes end Dean Youngblood's career?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Perhaps...if Shanahan has been fully reduced to settling personal scores and grudges instead of trying to be fair.  The Marchand call aside, I am still hopeful he hasn't sunk that far. Is it naive to think he will still try to be consistent?
    It's starting to feel that way. It seems the Marchand suspension has renewed the player's love of the hip-check/clip but it would seem Marchand is the only one who does it in a "predatory" manner. I didn't even know the rulebook contained that wording........

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]My recollection might be off, but didn't Stu Barnes end Dean Youngblood's career?

Youngblood is trying to make a comeback, I believe!

Maybe the B's can get both of them, along with Geno Malkin, Jarome Iginla, Brad Richards and the drunk guy from that played for the Presidents that peed himself in the corner.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : It's starting to feel that way. It seems the Marchand suspension has renewed the player's love of the hip-check/clip but it would seem Marchand is the only one who does it in a "predatory" manner. I didn't even know the rulebook contained that wording........

Wasn't.

A.

Hip.

Check.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Wasn't. A. Hip. Check.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Wasn't a clip either so here we are.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10scJ5fWpeE

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now :  The Marchand call aside, I am still hopeful he hasn't sunk that far.

^This!

Is it naive to think he will still try to be consistent? No

What Shanahan is trying to do is stop a Cook type hit before it happens again which Campbell didn't do becuase he doesn't like little fakers and loved being lobbied by scum like Shero.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Stu "Racki" Barnes...

It's not the suspension itself, but the choice of 5 games for a hit that falls in some grey area, that is so unsettling.  I get that Shanny wants to make a point, but in doing so he abandons consistency.  Suspending Ference for a garden variety boarding would further erode any semblence of consistency.  We see that hit quite frequently.

I'm not really sure anymore if players get suspended on the basis of: 
    a. the rules
    b. the "intent" behind the hit
    c. the injury involved
    d. past borderline hits by that team; or
    e. which team needs to be sent a message in someone's opinion

Is it some combination of all this based on Shanny's judgment??  Could he explain the criteria again in one of his videos?  All I want is consistency, for all teams.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I always find that a good way to look at the situation is to mentally switch the jerseys of the two players, re-examine the hit, and then determine if your opinion of the hit remains the same.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Stu "Racki" Barnes... It's not the suspension itself, but the choice of 5 games for a hit that falls in some grey area, that is so unsettling.  I get that Shanny wants to make a point, but in doing so he abandons consistency.  Suspending Ference for a garden variety boarding would further erode any semblence of consistency.  We see that hit quite frequently. I'm not really sure anymore if players get suspended on the basis of:  a. the rules b. the "intent" behind the hit c. the injury involved d. past borderline hits by that team; or e. which team needs to be sent a message in someone's opinion Is it some combination of all this based on Shanny's judgment??  Could he explain the criteria again in one of his videos?  All I want is consistency, for all teams.
    Fletch, the major was for charging so it is a bit different. If this was just a light shove of an off balance player then that's boarding. He was tossd for the speed he was travelling. He really didn't slow up much at all. That's what I didn't like. As soon as he did it I said "that's a 5".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]I always find that a good way to look at the situation is to mentally switch the jerseys of the two players, re-examine the hit, and then determine if your opinion of the hit remains the same.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

I would be angry at the moment of the hit and then would be delighted that my team got a major powerplay for the duration of the game, and then used that advantage to win the game.  I would not still be whining about suspensions and crying to the league after the game.  That stuff is for other teams...

McDonough played that puck in a very stupid way and Ference reacted in an even stupider way to make the hit.  But boarding plays do happen sometimes.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Fletch, the major was for charging so it is a bit different. If this was just a light shove of an off balance player then that's boarding. He was tossd for the speed he was travelling. He really didn't slow up much at all. That's what I didn't like. As soon as he did it I said "that's a 5".

Yeah, I was just fine with the 5-minute major too.  I just don't see any reason for the suspension talk.  Absolutely no chance Ference picks that opportunity to take a run at a guy, with intent to injure.  It was a mistake.  He paid a big price as it lost the game for the team.  Call it a day.