Mr.Shanahan will see you now

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now

Hits from behind ? Absolutely hate them . So dangerous because of the player going head first into the boards with no control . Ference was having one of his better efforts of the season until that brain cramp. Those hits have to be dealt with to get them out of the game. Suspend him and I have no problem with it. Dirty hit !

And I actually like Ference a lot. On ( his quotes ) and off the ice.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now:
    [QUOTE]Hits from behind ? Absolutely hate them . So dangerous because of the player going head first into the boards with no control . Ference was having one of his better efforts of the season until that brain cramp. Those hits have to be dealt with to get them out of the game. Suspend him and I have no problem with it. Dirty hit ! And I actually like Ference a lot. On ( his quotes ) and off the ice.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.  This stuff used to happen once or twice a season, now it happens once or twice a week.  It's up to the second player to avoid contact.  If guys haven't figured it out yet, keep putting 'em on the shelf until they do.

Direct headshots are down significantly.  Hits from behind need to be next.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : Good one,  let's see if he gets suspended. What about Prust on Chara ?  This is what I don't like about the decision making . Chara got back up and was not hurt therefore , no major , no suspension. Why does the decision rely if a player gets hurt ? If I fire a gun at a police officer but don't hit him will I be set free ? The intent is just as bad as an injured player. 
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I agree, and the other side of it doesn't follow suit.  If Player A takes a baseball swing and cranks Player B in the head, but Player B's helmet saves any injury at all, Player A isn't just going to get two minutes for slashing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]A certain PK Subban got 2 minutes and a pat on the back for a blatant "intent" hit on Krejci 10 days ago, and talk about a Ference suspension is even in discussion? Watch it once, twice, 1,000 times - the momentum is what got McDonagh hurt, NOT Ference's intent of malice.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

If Ference weren't involved in the play, there would have been no injury.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

Maybe Ference needs a rest and he will get a long one now. 2 gms. plus all star break. This is nothing new in hockey today every team seems to be getting hurt or suspended player. This type of news to me is not important. Ference is one of the most improved d man this year,  I got what I  want to see Kamfer up against PHL and Wsh, this scares me. Should be interesting Corvo Boychuk and Kamfer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : You have been playing this zero tolerance hand very heavy lately.  The result looks awful, especially with Lundqvist waving the trainer in, but Ference is coming in hard to get the puck.  He does not have time or space to "do something else" nor is it a cheap shot.  At best, one could argue that Ference's play is a little reckless, and could be enough to get him suspended. 
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Ference could have easily chosen to pursue the puck by keeping his speed up and trying to squeeze between McDonagh and the boards.  He chose not to, and decided to push a defenseless player face first into the boards.  It was dumb.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I'm still not seeing the face-first into the boards, or much of a hit from behind.  They hit the boards at almost the same time.  That tells me they were coming in more side-by-side than Ference from behind.

If the League takes issue with it, it won't be the hit itself, but the situation.  Coming in very fast giving a guy a bump at a time when he's sure to hit the boards while falling.  That happens at half speed, or a half-second later, I don't think anything comes from it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]A certain PK Subban got 2 minutes and a pat on the back for a blatant "intent" hit on Krejci 10 days ago, and talk about a Ference suspension is even in discussion? Watch it once, twice, 1,000 times - the momentum is what got McDonagh hurt, NOT Ference's intent of malice.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

and last night followed through while Kadri was off balance and from behind pushed him into the boards.  Guess what ?  Kadri did not get hurt therefore not only did he not get a penalty but will not get a call from the league.
    Same with Krejci, he did not get hurt.

If the NHL really wanted to crack down then they must suspend some of these dirtier hurts that intend to hurt not ignoring them because the hitee got lucky not to get hurt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I'm still not seeing the face-first into the boards, or much of a hit from behind.  They hit the boards at almost the same time.  That tells me they were coming in more side-by-side than Ference from behind. If the League takes issue with it, it won't be the hit itself, but the situation.  Coming in very fast giving a guy a bump at a time when he's sure to hit the boards while falling.  That happens at half speed, or a half-second later, I don't think anything comes from it.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Do you see Ference's hand on the Ranger's back?  That's what caused it.  It wasn't a hit as much as a push, but they certainly weren't side-by-side.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]I'm still not seeing the face-first into the boards, or much of a hit from behind.  They hit the boards at almost the same time.  That tells me they were coming in more side-by-side than Ference from behind. If the League takes issue with it, it won't be the hit itself, but the situation.  Coming in very fast giving a guy a bump at a time when he's sure to hit the boards while falling.  That happens at half speed, or a half-second later, I don't think anything comes from it.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

I see it the same way you do.  Almost like Ference is anticipating a strong box-out by McDonough that he ultimately blows through.  On ice officials did not rule this boarding, rather charging, so the hit on the numbers and hitting him face-first into the boards was not necessarily how they saw it.

Still, guy face-plants and it looks horribly violent.  Ference is assessed a major and a game misconduct, so Shanahan has all he needs to go the suspension route.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

At the 50 second mark of this video it clearly shows a direct hit from behind. A side-by-side hit ? Where ? A numbers only hit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/andrew-ference-bruins-ejected-charging-rangers-ryan-mcdonagh-211110285.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I'm with Crowls and CC -- it just doesn't look that bad to me.  Major penalty, fine.  But suspension??

I've been boarded before and missed a season of play from the resulting collar bone fracture, so don't say I'm not sensitive enough to this.  I think this boarding is 'garden variety' for a couple reasons.

1. McDonough tries the box out move.  He puts his back right in Ference's path and tries to shield him from the puck, three feet from the boards.  Not saying it was his fault, it wasn't, but now it becomes Ference's responsibility, I guess, to make a last second adjustment to avoid McDonough and change his line.  He didn't.

2. No intent, no drive through, and it just didn't look like he hit him that hard.

What's more is that a pretty severe punishment has already been served.  A 5-minute major in overtime that lost the game for the Bruins.  That's the price for a stupid hit.

Tortorella crying and carrying on after the game just reminded me of the Winter Classic -- a guy who can't control his emotions after a big game.

Bad play by Ference.  But if there's a suspension, it is just another gesture by the league that the big bad Bruins are too distasteful for people who...already hate the Bruins...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]  But if there's a suspension, it is just another gesture by the league that the big bad Bruins are too distasteful for people who...already hate the Bruins...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I've heard this a few times, but I don't understand.

Why do people think the league dislikes the B's?  What about the Bruins would the league dislike?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

"What's more is that a pretty severe punishment has already been served. A 5-minute major in overtime that lost the game for the Bruins. That's the price for a stupid hit."

Can't agree with this at all. Not in today's NHL with them trying to take the bad hits out of the game. It doesn't matter when and what the outcome was , if the hit was deemed suspendable then a suspension it should be.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : I've heard this a few times, but I don't understand. Why do people think the league dislikes the B's?  What about the Bruins would the league dislike?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

It's the bad publicity towards any iffy play by the Bruins put through a microscope. 
    On Sportcenters around North America it starts like this  " and the Bruins again involved .... " 
    Funny because last night on a very influential HNIC in the 2nd period intermission on their Hot Stove they start it off with "The Ference hit " and how many games you think he will get.
    I watched as much as I could and then switched away.  Why don't they start with Zetterberg's hit ? or why don't they start saying that the game between the Bruins-Rangers was great and got very intense then show Prust's hit on Chara and the Ference "push " ?
    It's they way the go about it and it's all negativity towards the Bruins.
    I guess comes with the territory when you're Stanley cup champions (Chicago got some but that's of course due to the Canuck fans) although the Pens or the Wings always got praised on how great they are managed , just beautiful to watch.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : I've heard this a few times, but I don't understand. Why do people think the league dislikes the B's?  What about the Bruins would the league dislike?

I don't think the league is against the Bruins at all.  I do think that Bruins games get a little more attention than say a Phoenix vs. Colorado game.  Couple that with the fact that certain franchises do lobby openly for the Bruins to be punished, and I think you have a situation where the Bruins are under a microscope.  If the Coyotes 5th defensemen boards somebody nobody cares.  Perhaps the Cody McLoed hit is a perfect example of this.  No clamoring for a suspension there.  Compare the hits.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now:[QUOTE] At the 50 second mark of this video it clearly shows a direct hit from behind. A side-by-side hit ? Where ? A numbers only hit. Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

The push is right at the top of the hip or McDonagh's pants so to me it wasn't the numbers. This however doesn't convince me that Ference gets off which he should because he already got a misconduct.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : It's the bad publicity towards any iffy play by the Bruins put through a microscope.  On Sportcenters around North America it starts like this  "  and the Bruins again involved .... "  Funny because last night on a very influential HNIC in the 2nd period intermission on their Hot Stove they start it off with "The Ference hit " and how many games you think he will get. I watched as much as I could and then switched away.  Why don't they start with Zetterberg's hit ? or why don't they start saying that the game between the Bruins-Rangers was great and got very intense then show Prust's hit on Chara and the Ference "push " ? It's they way the go about it and it's all negativity towards the Bruins. I guess comes with the territory when you're Stanley cup champions (Chicago got some but that's of course due to the Canuck fans) although the Pens or the Wings always got praised on how great they are managed , just beautiful to watch.   
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

They don't start with the Zetterberg hit because there was no Zetterberg hit.  Zetterberg was simply there.  I'm not convinced that Zetterberg had anything to do with it.  Ference was the direct cause.

More importantly, who cares what "they" say or do? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]"What's more is that a pretty severe punishment has already been served. A 5-minute major in overtime that lost the game for the Bruins. That's the price for a stupid hit." Can't agree with this at all. Not in today's NHL with them trying to take the bad hits out of the game. It doesn't matter when and what the outcome was , if the hit was deemed suspendable then a suspension it should be.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

So, is every illegal hit suspendable?  I think you have a tiered approach where a hit like that can be 1. a two minute penalty; 2. a five minute penalty; and then 3. a suspension for the worst kind of hits.  A five minute major should not automatically mean a suspension.  That's the whole point of league review -- to look at the factors that might not be apparent to the on-ice officials.  Like the Chara hit last year.

There is no bigger price than winning-losing games.  Ference essentially lost the game for the team yesterday.  That's a big price to pay.  It all depends on how bad you thought the hit was.  Since I didn't think it was that bad, I think the 5-minute major was adequate punishment.  If you think the hit was horrible, you might think a suspension is needed.  Not me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : The push is right at the top of the hip or McDonagh's pants so to me it wasn't the numbers. This however doesn't convince me that Ference gets off which he should because he already got a misconduct.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

The saying is if you see the numbers STOP. The numbers are located on the back of the jersey. Regardless of where we think the contact was made there is no doubt for me that the hit was from behind ( hip or numbers ). 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If you closely examine the McGruder tape, you will plainly see that there was a second hitman on McDonough. Ference is about to hit him, then the sniper bullet pierces the Ranger near his numbers. It's very slight, but you can detect it. Ference is going to be vilified like Oswald. Let's hope Shanahan doesn't do a Jack Ruby on him....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : They don't start with the Zetterberg hit because there was no Zetterberg hit.  Zetterberg was simply there.  I'm not convinced that Zetterberg had anything to do with it.  Ference was the direct cause. More importantly, who cares what "they" say or do? 

I agree that the Zetterberg is not a good comparison, as he seemed to do nothing.  Did you see the McLoed hit?

I think the other factor that fuels a bit of the paranoia is Shanahan departing from looking at the hit and just the hit.  Shanny pretty much admitted in the Lucic and Marchand suspensions that past hits, reputation, and general effort to 'reign people in' factors into the decisions.  That's pretty subjective stuff that has no relation to the rulebook.  I'd prefer that Shanahan stick to what he sees in the replay, judge it based on the rulebook and precedent, and not get into trying to even out past debts.  I'm not sure if this always happens.  I'm a little worried about it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr.Shanahan will see you now : I couldn't agree more.  This stuff used to happen once or twice a season, now it happens once or twice a week.  It's up to the second player to avoid contact.  If guys haven't figured it out yet, keep putting 'em on the shelf until they do. Direct headshots are down significantly.  Hits from behind need to be next.

Chowda and NAS agreeing on a point? Wow.

These hits are fuelling this discussion forum and there are good points/counter points tossed about.

Does Ference deserve a suspension? No, the in-game penalties were enough.
    Will Ference get a suspension? Probably, 2 games since Shanahan is obliged to continue to show the league means business and react swiftly to any infraction.

But I hate that other calls (Prust on Chara, Subban on Krejci) get ignored at the league level primarily because no injury occurred on the play.

Shanahan can review any play in any game for suspendable conduct, can't he?
    (honest question) 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Are you new here?