My Bruins Roster for 2012-13

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

My Bruins Roster for 2012-13

Here it is. My fantasy team. No Parise or Nash or Iginla. Thank you Capgeek. Not sure if this link will work so I will type it all out, salaries and all:

http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculator/?action=sign&free_agent_team_id=9&position_id=F&fa_type_id=2&free_agents=446&free_agent_cap_hit=%241%2C500%2C000&sign-button=

L.Wing                          Center                            R.Wing
    Lucic ($4.084mil)       Krejci ($5.25mil)            Horton ($4mil)            
    Purcell ($2.363mil)      Seguin ($3.55mil)          Peverley ($3.25mil)
    Caron ($1.1 mil)        Bergeron ($5mil)            Marchand ($2.5mil)
    Moss ($1.5mil)          Gaustad ($2.5mil)          Thornton ($1.1mil)

Defence

Chara ($6.917mil)-Boychuk ($3.36mil)
    Seidenberg ($3.25mil)-Hamilton/Krug ($1.705mil)
    Ference ($2.25mil)-McQuaid ($1.567mil)

Goaltending

Rask ($3.750mil)
    Khudobin ($875k)

Total cap space left (if using 2012 cap) is $4.16 million.

So, here is what I did. As suggested by OatesCam on another thread I traded TT to TB for Purcell and a pick. Yes, risky but plausible. Then I signed both Gaustad and David Moss for a 10% raise on their 2012 salary. Again, this is a plausible scenario.

I am expecting one of Krug/Hamilton to make the team so I used capgeeks Krug EL salary as a baseline for one of them. Now, all that is missing is a veteran depth Dman and millions would still be available for in-season adjustments.

Fantasy team true but not outside the realm of possibility. Critique away, I have thick skin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: My Bruins Roster for 2012-13

You put some work into that. I like it, thats a deep team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: My Bruins Roster for 2012-13:
    [QUOTE]You put some work into that. I like it, thats a deep team.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I have the day off and its raining outside which means nothing to do. Plus, Capgeek makes this very simple.

I should mention that I put Savard and his contract on LTIR so he is essentially off the books for the year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

that team is VERY deep at center, and i like that. Having said that, I'm not a fan of putting Seguin at center next year. I know you are, but my thought process is that he is developing offensively, let him continue that alongside bergeron or krejci, and then move him to center after maybe another year or two. With that much cap room, I think I would make a bid to sign David Jones, forget Moss, and have Caron play on the fourth line. Good work though

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Well done! I love what Timmy has done for the B's, but it is time to probably look at maximizing his return via trade. The Tampa Times had an article a couple of weeks ago commenting about maybe TT coming to town. We are all fans and the majority of us love our players, but nothing is forever. If you want to win, you have to make tough choices.

In Response to My Bruins Roster for 2012-13:
    [QUOTE]Here it is. My fantasy team. No Parise or Nash or Iginla. Thank you Capgeek. Not sure if this link will work so I will type it all out, salaries and all: http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculator/?action=sign&free_agent_team_id=9&position_id=F&fa_type_id=2&free_agents=446&free_agent_cap_hit=%241%2C500%2C000&sign-button = L.Wing                          Center                            R.Wing Lucic ($4.084mil)       Krejci ($5.25mil)            Horton ($4mil)             Purcell $2.363mil)      Seguin ($3.55mil)          Peverley ($3.25mil) Caron ($1.1 mil)        Bergeron ($5mil)            Marchand ($2.5mil) Moss ($1.5mil)          Gaustad ($2.5mil)          Thornton ($1.1mil) Defence Chara ($6.917mil)-Boychuck ($3.36mil) Seidenberg ($3.25mil)-Hamilton/Krug ($1.705mil) Ference ($2.25mil)-McQuaid ($1.567mil Goaltending Rask ($3.750mil) Khudobin ($875k) Total cap space left (if using 2012 cap) is $4.16 million. So, here is what I did. As suggested by OatesCam on another thread I traded TT to TB for Purcell and a pick. Yes, risky but plausible. Then I signed both Gaustad and David Moss for a 10% raise on their 2012 salary. Again, this is a plausible scenario. I am expecting one of Krug/Hamilton to make the team so I used capgeeks Krug EL salary as a baseline for one of them. Now, all that is missing is a veteran depth Dman and millions would still be available for in-season adjustments. Fantasy team true but not outside the realm of possibility. Critique away, I have thick skin.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Thanks patriotpat. I can see Peverely taking over the center position if Seguin is failing so that is kind of a wash in my opinion. I thought about Jones but have not seen him play much and many posters questioned his work ethic. So, I decided to make a move to get Purcell who is a workhorse. Plus, moving TT opened up more cap space to sign Rask to a Halak-type contract which I think he may be going for.

Also, I picked Moss because he is not that expensive, has scored 20 goals, is a big guy who likes to go in front of the net, and is versatile enough to temporarily fill in on any other line when there are injuries. I thought the B's lack of a player of this type this year, as seen when Horton went down, was apparent. Because of this, he may be more valuable than Paille or Campbell (both of whom will likely get similar money on the open market). Same with Gaustad, a bit pricey but just as versatile and very good at faceoffs.

Just some reasoning for the moves.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Well done! I love what Timmy has done for the B's, but it is time to probably look at maximizing his return via trade. The Tampa Times had an article a couple of weeks ago commenting about maybe TT coming to town. We are all fans and the majority of us love our players, but nothing is forever. If you want to win, you have to make tough choices. In Response to My Bruins Roster for 2012-13 :
    Posted by TomOBrien[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I have nothing against TT and am a fan of what he has accomplished but he will be a UFA at the end of 2013 and I am not convinced he would stay for less money to simply mentor Rask. I can see him moving on to a team who needs a true #1. So, trading him now while he still has a lot of value seemed like a risk worth taking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Cool just trade away all the draft picks then no need for development.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Cool just trade away all the draft picks then no need for development.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

heh....that's the best part of my fantasy team. No draft picks or prospects used to get the team outlined  above. All prospects can develop naturally over time without the need to rush them. If one has a terrific camp then they can stay as a 13th forward or whatever. When they are truly ready CJ can incorporate them into the lineup as needed. Then again, this is all fantasy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: My Bruins Roster for 2012-13:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Bruins Roster for 2012-13 : hen again, this is all fantasy. Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

CapGeek makes it fun for sure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

David Moss? Never heard of him until you mentioned him.

jmw, I looked him up and checked his stats; all I can say is that he is a big boy at 6'4", but on the light side at 207 lbs.

Not that I doubt you, but what have you seen in this guy?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]David Moss? Never heard of him until you mentioned him. jmw, I looked him up and checked his stats; all I can say is that he is a big boy at 6'4", but on the light side at 207 lbs. Not that I doubt you, but what have you seen in this guy?
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

I have seen him play more than a few times in Calgary (I currently reside in the west). He scored 20 a couple of years ago (mostly in the dirty areas) and was considered an up and comer until he had a rash of injuries. He will not fight (that is not his game) but will hit, crash the net, and work hard. Plus, as I mentioned, he can fill in temporarily on other lines if needed too. The only issue for him is his injury problems. That said, to me he is a very good 4rth line option.

By the way, weight is not always a problem. Look at McQuaid.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Bruins Roster for 2012-13 : CapGeek makes it fun for sure.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Plenty of time to kill until the start of the B's new season. Fun to speculate, as long as it is not completely outrageous.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Moss at 207 lbs, I can see why he doesn't fight.

MacQuaid must easily have 15-20 lbs on Moss.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]Moss at 207 lbs, I can see why he doesn't fight. MacQuaid must easily have 15-20 lbs on Moss.

Nope. 6-5 and about 210lbs. Lots of power in that frame though.
    That includes the mullet ;)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Moss at 207 lbs, I can see why he doesn't fight. MacQuaid must easily have 15-20 lbs on Moss.

According to nhl.com McQuaid is only 197.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471717

I find it difficult to believe he is that skinny but I do recall stories about how he is just one of those guys who can't gain no matter what he does. I envy those types.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I want to comment but all I can think is ... meh.  Not that you've done something stupid.  Just that you're assuming a Thomas trade for a particular piece and what it will take to get the two FAs.  You've also underbudgeted if it's Hamilton who sticks - have to account for his rookie bonus, so you need a couple of million more, and you have to account for a veteran to back-fill if he's slow to adjust because you'll have to carry an additional salary on your active roster.  More to the point, though - Purcell's the most interesting add after he backed up his playoff performance over a full season, but he's also the most speculative piece.  I also think Bergeron would be less than geeked to be the third line centre again - I recall one of the items his agent raised in bargaining was a greater role in the offense.

Moss and Gaustad might as well be mutt and jeff.  I hate Gaustad, and I'm already hoping Marchand continues to subdue his Gaustad-like tendencies.  The positives on Gaustad could be any of a number of guys - I wouldn't pay $2M+ for that skill set.  Better to bring back Campbell.  Moss got 20 playing 2nd/3rd line roles in Calgary, and playing with guys where going to the net was a valuable compliment.  Not sure (Gaustad or Campbell) and Thornton fit the same bill.

In general, though, the model is the kind of thing I'd like to see - 3 scoring lines and a search and destroy unit that plays at a goosed level of effort.  I've said elsewhere that with Bergeron getting all of the assignments vs. top lines anyway, you might as well use the third line to create mismatches and overwhelm the other third lines out there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

[QUOTE]L.Wing                          Center                            R.Wing Lucic ($4.084mil)       Krejci ($5.25mil)            Horton ($4mil)             Purcell $2.363mil)      Seguin ($3.55mil)          Peverley ($3.25mil) Caron ($1.1 mil)        Bergeron ($5mil)            Marchand ($2.5mil) Moss ($1.5mil)          Gaustad ($2.5mil)          Thornton ($1.1mil) Defence Chara ($6.917mil)-Boychuck ($3.36mil) Seidenberg ($3.25mil)-Hamilton/Krug ($1.705mil) Ference ($2.25mil)-McQuaid ($1.567mil Goaltending Rask ($3.750mil) Khudobin ($875k) Total cap space left (if using 2012 cap) is $4.16 million. So, here is what I did. As suggested by OatesCam on another thread I traded TT to TB for Purcell and a pick. Yes, risky but plausible. Then I signed both Gaustad and David Moss for a 10% raise on their 2012 salary. I am expecting one of Krug/Hamilton to make the team.Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

And when does PC's contract expire?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I want to comment but all I can think is ... meh.  Not that you've done something stupid.  Just that you're assuming a Thomas trade for a particular piece and what it will take to get the two FAs.  You've also underbudgeted if it's Hamilton who sticks - have to account for his rookie bonus, so you need a couple of million more, and you have to account for a veteran to back-fill if he's slow to adjust because you'll have to carry an additional salary on your active roster.  More to the point, though - Purcell's the most interesting add after he backed up his playoff performance over a full season, but he's also the most speculative piece.  I also think Bergeron would be less than geeked to be the third line centre again - I recall one of the items his agent raised in bargaining was a greater role in the offense. Moss and Gaustad might as well be mutt and jeff.  I hate Gaustad, and I'm already hoping Marchand continues to subdue his Gaustad-like tendencies.  The positives on Gaustad could be any of a number of guys - I wouldn't pay $2M+ for that skill set.  Better to bring back Campbell.  Moss got 20 playing 2nd/3rd line roles in Calgary, and playing with guys where going to the net was a valuable compliment.  Not sure (Gaustad or Campbell) and Thornton fit the same bill. In general, though, the model is the kind of thing I'd like to see - 3 scoring lines and a search and destroy unit that plays at a goosed level of effort.  I've said elsewhere that with Bergeron getting all of the assignments vs. top lines anyway, you might as well use the third line to create mismatches and overwhelm the other third lines out there.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Good points Book. As for Hamilton, two things. First, he was drafted 9th so he does nothave a top 3 EL contract like Seguin. According to Capgeek his absolute max is $1.525 million. Even then, it is possible Hamilton will not even hit all of his bonus targets which is what he would need to do to max out his salary. A veteran depth guy on D will not be hard to find or all that expensive either.

I also do not think Bergeron's line will be a typical third line or even a third line at all. I see the first 3 lines as balanced and interchangeable, including icetime. His line, or Seguin's, or Krejci's could just as well all be designated the third line on any given night. That's depth at its best. Bergeron's role would not change nor would the amount of minutes he plays.

Moss and Gaustad are not essential. Campbell or Paille could just as easily come back but the 4rth line I am not all that concerend about. Not when you have the three lines above that are so deep.

As for Purcell, yes that is pure fantasy but it is fun to speculate which is all any of this is. He would be a definite asset if obtainable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 54BLITZER. Show 54BLITZER's posts

What about Knight and Spooner?  One of them is going to make the team.  I also want a mega fight for Parise.  The BRUINS have the cap space, especially if they deal Thomas to go for one star forward.  I love Horton, but I aint banking my money in his account anymore.  Too many big bangs to the head, and he is damaged goods with possible side effects he will not over come. I really hope that P.C. thinks long and hard about the Horton situation before he stands confident behind him.  This team needs at least one big splash on July 1!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

[QUOTE]What about Knight and Spooner?  One of them is going to make the team.  I also want a mega fight for Parise.  The BRUINS have the cap space, especially if they deal Thomas to go for one star forward.  I love Horton, but I aint banking my money in his account anymore.  Too many big bangs to the head, and he is damaged goods with possible side effects he will not over come. I really hope that P.C. thinks long and hard about the Horton situation before he stands confident behind him.  This team needs at least one big splash on July 1!!!
    Posted by 54BLITZER[/QUOTE]

no they don't

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I love the general look of the lineup. I kind of forgot over the last year that in the cup run Boston's third line was more offensive, and second line more defensive, than it was this year. Bergeron had Recchi, not Seguin, last year, and the third line was a mix of Ryder-Kelly-Peverley-Seguin. I think for this team to be successful, it needs to get back to that model. Three skilled centers and bring in a real solid wing. Purcell would be ideal, and the Tampa media is speculating on bringing in a goaler, Thomas in particular. Gaustad and Moss would be pricey, but they certainly would be good and sheild against injury. The number of the lines doesn't matter, all three are good both ways. Bergeron might get most match ups, but with Marchand and Caron on his line he could hardly say he isn't playing with skill. I can just envision Purcell, Seguin and Peverley flying around the attacking zone with 3rd string defenders helpless to contain them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Bruins Roster for 2012-13 : According to nhl.com McQuaid is only 197. http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471717 I find it difficult to believe he is that skinny but I do recall stories about how he is just one of those guys who can't gain no matter what he does. I envy those types.

That's like me. Can't gain weight at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]Here it is. My fantasy team. No Parise or Nash or Iginla. Thank you Capgeek. Not sure if this link will work so I will type it all out, salaries and all: http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculator/?action=sign&free_agent_team_id=9&position_id=F&fa_type_id=2&free_agents=446&free_agent_cap_hit=%241%2C500%2C000&sign-button = L.Wing                          Center                            R.Wing Lucic ($4.084mil)       Krejci ($5.25mil)            Horton ($4mil)             Purcell $2.363mil)      Seguin ($3.55mil)          Peverley ($3.25mil) Caron ($1.1 mil)        Bergeron ($5mil)            Marchand ($2.5mil) Moss ($1.5mil)          Gaustad ($2.5mil)          Thornton ($1.1mil) Defence Chara ($6.917mil)-Boychuck ($3.36mil) Seidenberg ($3.25mil)-Hamilton/Krug ($1.705mil) Ference ($2.25mil)-McQuaid ($1.567mil Goaltending Rask ($3.750mil) Khudobin ($875k) Total cap space left (if using 2012 cap) is $4.16 million. So, here is what I did. As suggested by OatesCam on another thread I traded TT to TB for Purcell and a pick. Yes, risky but plausible. Then I signed both Gaustad and David Moss for a 10% raise on their 2012 salary. Again, this is a plausible scenario. I am expecting one of Krug/Hamilton to make the team so I used capgeeks Krug EL salary as a baseline for one of them. Now, all that is missing is a veteran depth Dman and millions would still be available for in-season adjustments. Fantasy team true but not outside the realm of possibility. Critique away, I have thick skin.

I like Purcell. Not a bad job putting that team together. Do you think that, IF we do trade Thomas, we could possibly get Ryane Clowe from San Jose? Their window is closing (Marleau/Thornton/Boyle are getting older) and the ownership is growing impatient. Perhaps having Thomas for 3 years or so could make them favorites in the west.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I love the general look of the lineup. I kind of forgot over the last year that in the cup run Boston's third line was more offensive, and second line more defensive, than it was this year. Bergeron had Recchi, not Seguin, last year, and the third line was a mix of Ryder-Kelly-Peverley-Seguin. I think for this team to be successful, it needs to get back to that model. Three skilled centers and bring in a real solid wing. Purcell would be ideal, and the Tampa media is speculating on bringing in a goaler, Thomas in particular. Gaustad and Moss would be pricey, but they certainly would be good and sheild against injury. The number of the lines doesn't matter, all three are good both ways. Bergeron might get most match ups, but with Marchand and Caron on his line he could hardly say he isn't playing with skill. I can just envision Purcell, Seguin and Peverley flying around the attacking zone with 3rd string defenders helpless to contain them.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I knew you would like it OC. You're right, watching a line of Purcell/Seguin/Peverley flying around would almost be worth the rise in ticket prices alone. And it is all very do-able cap-wise.

Even if TT stays this team is very well positioned. Just need one more winger skilled enough to play all three top lines. That's why I am not including Pouliot. He is simply not consistent enough to do this.

Bookboy made an interesting comment on the general dislike of Gaustad that many B's fans have, including myself. But I think if we can get over Nilan being a Bruin then Gaustad could follow a similar hate-love path.

Besides it is much more fun to look forward to next season rather than continuing to lament the end of this year.

Sections
Shortcuts