My Bruins Roster for 2012-13

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: My Bruins Roster for 2012-13

In Response to Re: My Bruins Roster for 2012-13:
    [QUOTE]In Response to My Bruins Roster for 2012-13 : I like Purcell. Not a bad job putting that team together. Do you think that, IF we do trade Thomas, we could possibly get Ryane Clowe from San Jose? Their window is closing (Marleau/Thornton/Boyle are getting older) and the ownership is growing impatient. Perhaps having Thomas for 3 years or so could make them favorites in the west.
    Posted by Hockguy0818[/QUOTE]

Very good question. SJ is due for a makeover for sure. I do think, however, Clowe is close to being untouchable. He is built in the same mode as Lucic or Backes which is a rare find. Plus he is not all that expensive. They do need a true #1 goalie though for sure. Interesting thought.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I didn't get over Nilan being a Bruin.  He has done nothing but act and talk like a Scab since retiring; hypocrite for taking the money from Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't get over Nilan being a Bruin.  He has done nothing but act and talk like a Scab since retiring; hypocrite for taking the money from Boston.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I meant when he was signed by Boston the fact he was formerly a Hab did not make much of a difference to many fans while he suited up in black and gold.

That he is a complete a**hat now is not in dispute by any means.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Gaustad's money is a bit high for a fourth liner, but he was the one guy who sucked it up and fought Lucic. He was also classy about it. I respect him for that.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Bruins Roster for 2012-13 : I knew you would like it OC. You're right, watching a line of Purcell/Seguin/Peverley flying around would almost be worth the rise in ticket prices alone. And it is all very do-able cap-wise. Even if TT stays this team is very well positioned. Just need one more winger skilled enough to play all three top lines. That's why I am not including Pouliot. He is simply not consistent enough to do this. Bookboy made an interesting comment on the general dislike of Gaustad that many B's fans have, including myself. But I think if we can get over Nilan being a Bruin then Gaustad could follow a similar hate-love path. Besides it is much more fun to look forward to next season rather than continuing to lament the end of this year.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't get over Nilan being a Bruin.  He has done nothing but act and talk like a Scab since retiring; hypocrite for taking the money from Boston.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Me either,never liked him,being an ex-hab and what he did to Middleton,never forgave him.Acts like a Hab for sure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

[QUOTE]What about Knight and Spooner?  One of them is going to make the team.  I also want a mega fight for Parise.  The BRUINS have the cap space, especially if they deal Thomas to go for one star forward.  I love Horton, but I aint banking my money in his account anymore.  Too many big bangs to the head, and he is damaged goods with possible side effects he will not over come. I really hope that P.C. thinks long and hard about the Horton situation before he stands confident behind him.  This team needs at least one big splash on July 1!!!
    Posted by 54BLITZER[/QUOTE]

Knight and Spooner are both now eligible to play in Providence, so they'll be available at any time to call up based on need and their performance.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Nice work on this, and you're right it's fun to play fantasy GM. Good players you have there, but do you think this team is better than the same guys + Thomas and some cheaper #4 center and LW? I don't think Thomas is going anywhere, so I'm curious to see from people a w/ TT and w/o TT scenario.

Gaustad is a nice fit for this team *if* Boston keeps Seguin at wing. If it's time for him to move to center, then Gaustad will be too expensive and they'll need to re-sign Campbell or get some other $1 to $1.5mil guy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Nice work on this, and you're right it's fun to play fantasy GM. Good players you have there, but do you think this team is better than the same guys + Thomas and some cheaper #4 center and LW? I don't think Thomas is going anywhere, so I'm curious to see from people a w/ TT and w/o TT scenario. Gaustad is a nice fit for this team *if* Boston keeps Seguin at wing. If it's time for him to move to center, then Gaustad will be too expensive and they'll need to re-sign Campbell or get some other $1 to $1.5mil guy.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Completely agree with you on both counts. I have no problem with TT staying and I think it is more than likely that he does. Despite that, the team still needs a legit top 6 winger. While totally doable, it becomes more difficult without moving some salary. 

In my scenario the trading of TT brings in the relatively cheap but excellent player in Purcell and leaves some room left over for a quality utility man like Gaustad. If Thomas stays, then some cheaper alternatives are in order for the fourth line, such as bringing back Paille and/or Campbell (though I think they can get better money elsewhere). Not really that big of deal in the grand scheme of things.

The big issue in my mind is not at center (there are plenty quality centers on this team already) but the need for a quality winger who can play on any of the first three lines with consistency. As previously stated, Pouliot is not that guy, Caron is not consistent enough yet, and the B's can't really count on a prospect to wow them at camp. It probably needs to be a UFA or via trade.

Either way, the team is still a cup contender next year for which I am very happy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Another option is to keep TT & Tuukka and see how the season plays out,if Rask can handle a heavier workload and plays well then you can look to trade TT at the trade deadline for whatever need presented itself as the season progressed.If Tuukka gets injured or can't handle the load,keep both.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Got to do better than Purcell and Gaustad - Sounds a lot like Pouliot and Campbell to me. Lateral move at best.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Think before typing. The Gaustad may not have more impact than Campbell as a fourth liner, but Purcell had 65 points last year. More than any Bruin but Seguin. He did it in 15mins per game. He was also outstanding in the previous year's playoffs. Comparing him to Pouliot shows you do not know who he is.

[QUOTE]Got to do better than Purcell and Gaustad - Sounds a lot like Pouliot and Campbell to me. Lateral move at best.
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]Think before typing. The Gaustad may not have more impact than Campbell as a fourth liner, but Purcell had 65 points last year. More than any Bruin but Seguin. He did it in 15mins per game. He was also outstanding in the previous year's playoffs. Comparing him to Pouliot shows you do not know who he is. In Response to Re: My Bruins Roster for 2012-13 :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I thought, and my thoughts were that Purcell is a couple of clicks above a mediocre talent, and not the more dynamic player that this team needs. Better than Pouliot ? yeah, but not as much as you think. I want more than a Teddy Purcell upgrade that you apparently endorse. 

Purcell last 4 seasons  222 games played - 47 goals
    Pouliot last 4 seasons  206 games played - 46 goals

Oh yeah btw, giving Gaustad respect for getting his face punched in by Milan Lucic, after waiting until the next game to respond when his goaltender got destroyed? He was shamed into it - you're right, class personified

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]I'll say I really, really, REALLY like what you've come up with.  Especially the D pairings.  On paper that is one fierce, well-rounded group of blue liners. My only real difference of opinion is in regards to Krejci. I'm starting to have second thoughts about him.  Part of me says: trade him for a more QB/PP type center; the other part says drop him to the 3rd line.  Krejci is starting to feel more like a natural replacement for Kelly.  
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

Yeeeees!! But not necessarily because Krejci doesn't have it anymore. Dropping him to the third will create matchup nightmares for opposing teams, especially since Claude likes to roll his lines. As long as they can find a top 6LW, though. Imagine:

X-Seguin-Horton
    Lucic-Bergeron-Peverly
    Marchand-Krejci-Pouliot/Caron

Sweet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I'll say I really, really, REALLY like what you've come up with.  Especially the D pairings.  On paper that is one fierce, well-rounded group of blue liners. My only real difference of opinion is in regards to Krejci. I'm starting to have second thoughts about him.  Part of me says: trade him for a more QB/PP type center; the other part says drop him to the 3rd line.  Krejci is starting to feel more like a natural replacement for Kelly.  
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Not everyone agrees of course but that is also part of the fun of these boards, all the differing opinions makes it interesting.

Krejci, it is true, did not have a season worthy of that big contract extension he got to be sure. I kept expecting him to kick it up a notch, especially in the playoffs, but it never happened. This is going to be a big "prove it" year for him I think.

That said, where Krejci, or the line he centers to be more accurate, is placed is fluid in this scenario. The top three lines can all be both offensive and defensive which is the point of the roster constructed. Balance. So let's say the Krejci line starts of the season tentatively as the so-called 1st line but they are struggling as a whole, then they can be bumped down the ladder and another line can replace them and their extra few minutes a night. That is true depth.

How many times did we see this year Krecji's line being force-fed more minutes than Kelly's line even though they were obviously struggling? The truth is that Kelly and his linemates played on average 14 minutes a game because they were simply not consistent enough of an offensive threat to receive top 2 minutes. The B's can do better. That is what I am trying to do with this roster. True depth that is reasonable to obtain and still cap friendly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Bruins Roster for 2012-13 : Yeeeees!! But not necessarily because Krejci doesn't have it anymore. Dropping him to the third will create matchup nightmares for opposing teams, especially since Claude likes to roll his lines. As long as they can find a top 6LW, though. Imagine: X-Seguin-Horton Lucic-Bergeron-Peverly Marchand-Krejci-Pouliot/Caron Sweet.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Why blow up the top two lines? I would keep Bergeron and Marchand on the same line. Bergeron reigns in Marchand more often than we probably take note of. Also why split up Lucic and Horton? They like to play together and seem to get along really well. I feel like Lucic is a different player when Horton is available.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Bruins Roster for 2012-13 : That's like me. Can't gain weight at all.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

You are a very lucky person Lambda.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Good post, lots of good discussion.

My only feedback is that if I am moving Seguin to center, I am going all in.  I like the idea to shift him, but make this kid the #1 guy and flank him with appropriate linemates.  

Heard Neely talk about this very question on Felger & Mazz yesterday and it did not sound like Seguin would be moving to center anytime soon.  Neely said his speed/shot combination was well suited to the wing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Good post, lots of good discussion. My only feedback is that if I am moving Seguin to center, I am going all in.  I like the idea to shift him, but make this kid the #1 guy and flank him with appropriate linemates.   Heard Neely talk about this very question on Felger & Mazz yesterday and it did not sound like Seguin would be moving to center anytime soon.  Neely said his speed/shot combination was well suited to the wing.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Thanks Crowls. I tried to make it as realisitic a possible but without losing the fun fantasy part of it. Bookboy pointed out the obvious leaps of logic, such as trading TT for a specific return and signing FA's at only a 10% raise.

I really hope PC does not simply do the status quo thing and just bring everyone back in the hopes they can have a better go at it. I really like the core but I truly think the complementary pieces can be upgraded at a reasonable cost.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

In response to "My Bruins Roster for 2012-13": [QUOTE]Here it is. My fantasy team. No Parise or Nash or Iginla. Thank you Capgeek. Not sure if this link will work so I will type it all out, salaries and all: http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculator/?action=sign&free_agent_team_id=9&position_id=F&fa_type_id=2&free_agents=446&free_agent_cap_hit=%241%2C500%2C000&sign-button = L.Wing                          Center                            R.Wing Lucic ($4.084mil)       Krejci ($5.25mil)            Horton ($4mil)             Purcell ($2.363mil)      Seguin ($3.55mil)          Peverley ($3.25mil) Caron ($1.1 mil)        Bergeron ($5mil)            Marchand ($2.5mil) Moss ($1.5mil)          Gaustad ($2.5mil)          Thornton ($1.1mil) Defence Chara ($6.917mil)-Boychuk ($3.36mil) Seidenberg ($3.25mil)-Hamilton/Krug ($1.705mil) Ference ($2.25mil)-McQuaid ($1.567mil) Goaltending Rask ($3.750mil) Khudobin ($875k) Total cap space left (if using 2012 cap) is $4.16 million. So, here is what I did. As suggested by OatesCam on another thread I traded TT to TB for Purcell and a pick. Yes, risky but plausible. Then I signed both Gaustad and David Moss for a 10% raise on their 2012 salary. Again, this is a plausible scenario. I am expecting one of Krug/Hamilton to make the team so I used capgeeks Krug EL salary as a baseline for one of them. Now, all that is missing is a veteran depth Dman and millions would still be available for in-season adjustments. Fantasy team true but not outside the realm of possibility. Critique away, I have thick skin. Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE] Marchand was a top 3 goal scorer and Bergy was 2nd in points and you have them on the 3rd line behind Purcell & Peverly? Don't move TT. Task has yet to prove he's a #1 and not break down or get injured. Khubidon only has about 10 NHL games. That's a big risk if TT is dealt. Tukka 3 years 3 million per. I like the D and hope Hamilton and a new PP coach make a big impact. Still pissed they didn't have Chara in front of the net on the PP in games 6 or 7.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Appreciate all the legwork you did on this, jm.  Not that I want to see Thomas pack his bags but that's a solid-looking club.  The fourth line alone addresses the remarks Chiarelli made about the Caps' fourth line heavies bearing down and leaning on a a defenseman.  This bunch looks like they'd do the same.  Not specifically scrap but this trio is certainly larger than the present group. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I appreciate it RHO. I had the day off and lots of spare time on my hands so I figured why not. It was actually a load of fun plugging in the numbers on capgeek.com. What a brilliant website (no I do not work for or have any affiliation with them).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Who's this Moss guy?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Who's this Moss guy?
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

Here you go Biss:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8469664

Seen him play a number of times in Calgary. Solid guy.