My Cousin in Vancouver Is A Sore Loser!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

My Cousin in Vancouver Is A Sore Loser!!

Love it he fits in perfect with that nasty team.
    He won't even return emails!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: My Cousin in Vancouver Is A Sore Loser!!

I have 3 friends from the Vancouver area. Known them for years through hockey.  All 3 emailed before the series to check in and wish the best team won, although they all had a bit of a haughty, cocky attitude.  One kept sending emails early and after awhile I told him if we were going to remain friends we probably would not be able to discuss the series any more, as he was defending the biting, blaming Thornton for Horton getting hurt, and all kinds of other silliness.  He kept yakking until the C's got in trouble and Ive never heard from him again.

The other 2... one send a short email saying congrats, and wont speak now, and the other wont talk to me at all.

This series has left me shocked at the unbelievable behavior by the Vancouver organization AND the stunning behavior of the fans.  Honestly, I didnt see any of this coming.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: My Cousin in Vancouver Is A Sore Loser!!:
    Honestly, I didnt see any of this coming.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Apparently....they didn't either!!!!  Boston Bruins 2011 Stanley Cup Champions  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I have 3 friends from the Vancouver area. Known them for years through hockey.  All 3 emailed before the series to check in and wish the best team won, although they all had a bit of a haughty, cocky attitude.  One kept sending emails early and after awhile I told him if we were going to remain friends we probably would not be able to discuss the series any more, as he was defending the biting, blaming Thornton for Horton getting hurt, and all kinds of other silliness.  He kept yakking until the C's got in trouble and Ive never heard from him again. The other 2... one send a short email saying congrats, and wont speak now, and the other wont talk to me at all. This series has left me shocked at the unbelievable behavior by the Vancouver organization AND the stunning behavior of the fans.  Honestly, I didnt see any of this coming.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Send this 49 North! According to him most Canuck fans are awesome!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I have 3 friends from the Vancouver area. Known them for years through hockey.  All 3 emailed before the series to check in and wish the best team won, although they all had a bit of a haughty, cocky attitude.  One kept sending emails early and after awhile I told him if we were going to remain friends we probably would not be able to discuss the series any more, as he was defending the biting, blaming Thornton for Horton getting hurt, and all kinds of other silliness.  He kept yakking until the C's got in trouble and Ive never heard from him again. The other 2... one send a short email saying congrats, and wont speak now, and the other wont talk to me at all. This series has left me shocked at the unbelievable behavior by the Vancouver organization AND the stunning behavior of the fans.  Honestly, I didnt see any of this coming.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Bet the CBC and Scotia Bank didn't expect the team and fans to show this sort of demeanour having backed them with the ill-fated "Bring The Cup Back To Canada" ads.  Looks good on them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I can sort of understand their feelings.  When the Pats lost to the Giants, I didn't have much interest in talking about the Pats, the Giants, the NFL or even football for a very long time.

The level of disappointment is magnificent.  I don't fault people who are still bent a couple of months later.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Anger and denial are part of the grief process.

Normal grief is a two year process.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I can sort of understand their feelings.  When the Pats lost to the Giants, I didn't have much interest in talking about the Pats, the Giants, the NFL or even football for a very long time. The level of disappointment is magnificent.  I don't fault people who are still bent a couple of months later.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I'd compare it more to the Red Sox. Primed for a championship, had all the pieces. I think the 2003 Sox is a good comparison. I wasn't a good sport about the loss after the fact.

If the Bruins lost, not many would have been furious around here since the Bs had excuses in Horton and Savard not being here. Plus, the Bs weren't expected to win and the fans didn't expect them to win either. Heck, a lot around here thought they'd lose to the Habs and fire Julien.

It's easy to tell people to get over it when your on top.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I thought exactly the same nrguy.  After the Sox lost in 2003, I was just sour and bitter for months.  I couldn't talk to Yankee fans without wanting to punch them.

I think that the two factors they played into this for Vancouver were the insecurity (no prior championships -- Red Sox fans were horribly insecure before 2004 because all of the history) and the great start with winning the first two games.  With the 2-0 lead and everyone in the Canadian media waving Canuck pom poms I do think that the fans felt so close to a championship they could taste it, only to have it ripped away.

I have little sympathy for all of the people who taunted the Bruins after the first two games, but for the other fans who knew it was going to be a tough series, I understand their pain and bitterness.  I would like to see Vancouver win a championship sometime (preferably sans Burrows and Lapierre) -- I think they are mostly good fans who have just been tortured a little too much.  Like Sox fans before 2004...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Hey !  As soon as the season starts, they will start to eat their own kind, and forget about the Bruins. It's going to be that kind of year for a Canuklehead fan ! My guess is your cousin will start emailing you again sometime by end of October. It won't take long !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

My cousin Vinny is a good lawyer, has a cute girlfriend from the Bronx, n looks good in his toupee, leather jackets and cowboy boots.

And oh yah Canknuckle heads Burrows and Rome are not dirty hockey players Go 49North Go!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I thought exactly the same nrguy.  After the Sox lost in 2003, I was just sour and bitter for months.  I couldn't talk to Yankee fans without wanting to punch them. I think that the two factors they played into this for Vancouver were the insecurity (no prior championships -- Red Sox fans were horribly insecure before 2004 because all of the history) and the great start with winning the first two games.  With the 2-0 lead and everyone in the Canadian media waving Canuck pom poms I do think that the fans felt so close to a championship they could taste it, only to have it ripped away. I have little sympathy for all of the people who taunted the Bruins after the first two games, but for the other fans who knew it was going to be a tough series, I understand their pain and bitterness.  I would like to see Vancouver win a championship sometime (preferably sans Burrows and Lapierre) -- I think they are mostly good fans who have just been tortured a little too much.  Like Sox fans before 2004...
    Posted by Fletcher1

Well said Fletch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Yeah, I agree with the posters saying it is tough to get over, I accept that.  It is interesting when they are people you like and suddenly they wont talk with you. Ive done the same thing with the Sox in 86 and 03, the Pats perfect season loss and The B's horrifying loss last year, but I have to say I was more quiet than nasty.

My (former?) buddy from Van with the ongoing commentary about how much better the C's were and Horton getting hurt because Thornton incited Rome and the biting incident wasnt a big deal and the Sisters weren't scoring because they were hurt and not anything Chara was doing and TT wasnt worthy of being in the Finals (yes, I stuck up for him) and Recchi was a mouthy jerk and Lucic... oh how he reamed Lucic the Local Boy...and the first 2 games showed how much more talented they were and blahblahblahblahhh I thought he had moved to Montreal.  I can't imagine what his opinion was of Luongo's mouth and choke, etc...

I like the quiet, actually.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stanjonathan17. Show stanjonathan17's posts

They're not all bad...
    My brother-in-law jumped on the Canucks bandwagon this spring.  When it came to the final, he suggested we wager a bottle on the outcome. Scotch for me, rum for him.  At the end of the series, I would have been happy with a $40 bottle, but he sent me a $200 bottle of Johnny Walker 'Blue Label'.  

Victory is sweet and it is a bottle that I will cherish.  I glued a picture of Big Z with the cup on the outside of the case.
    After a few celebratory tastes, my plan is to enjoy a double shot at the end of each future playoff series victory.  Hopefully, I polish it off next year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

When Boston went down 0-2 again to Van, everyone [almost] in Canada was a Van-fan. Made me ill -couldn't go out to watch games anymore, they were so obnoxious. Made the win even more sweet!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I still don't bring it up in public here - everytime I've tried, people just get pissy and bitter. It's pretty much a verboten topic. When I imagined the Bruins winning the Cup, I never imgained that I'd be living in a town where it was almost imp;ossible for me to safely show my joy in public. Most fans in Van are still so bitter about it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

Think about last year - how many wanted to talk about hockey after the 3-0, 3-0 leads they lost - I could not even watch hockey until game 5 or 6 of the finals. Then I was just rooting against Philly. They can brag about the comeback but it means nothing if you don't win the cup.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

IGreat Post, unbelievable poor sports! I mean my first cousin i have known his whole life won't email back!n Response to Re: My Cousin in Vancouver Is A Sore Loser!!:
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

IYeah Vancover is like a English soccer city where they riot and beat each other up!!n Response to Re: My Cousin in Vancouver Is A Sore Loser!!:
    I still don't bring it up in public here - everytime I've tried, people just get pissy and bitter. It's pretty much a verboten topic. When I imagined the Bruins winning the Cup, I never imgained that I'd be living in a town where it was almost imp;ossible for me to safely show my joy in public. Most fans in Van are still so bitter about it.
    Posted by red75

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stanjonathan17. Show stanjonathan17's posts

I tried to give the city of Vancouver the benefit of the doubt that it was a few (hundred) bad apples and not true fans responsible for the riot.

Then I watched this PRE-GAME video by a guy in a Bruins jersey and couldn't believe how whacked most of the fans are.  The fellow isn't even a Bruins fan, he just likes to do these weird social experiments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VIN7UKLcPk

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Well, I figured I was done with you guys, but since I see my name coming up several times in this thread, I guess I'll comment again.

Yes, many Canuck fans (myself included) were crushed, bitter and angry about the  results of the Finals.  Many are still bitter, and will remain so until training camp (and maybe even longer).  To each his own.

Yes, we all thought this was "the year", when all those disappointments over the past 40 years would be put behind us.  Alas, it was not to be.  In past years, I've gotten quite worked up about the shortcomings of our beloved Canucks, but as I've gotten older, I've learned to (or at least, tried to) take it all in stride.  Amazingly, the sun actually rose on June 16, and I was able to drag myself to work and put in a full day.  As time has gone on, I've come to realize that it was a very good season -- that being the best team in the league in the regular season, and the second to last team standing is an accomplishment that 28 other teams would be jealous of. (Yes, I know that pales in comparison to the Bruins' feat -- no need for anyone else to mention it). My bitterness lasted about a week, then I began to get over it, or at least, understand it.

I commended TT, in many posts on this very site, of his stellar play, and defended my team's players when they were being thoroughly trashed by some commenters here.  I have attempted not to be a "sore loser", even in the face of some very "bad winners" here (you know who you are).  Despite being called all number of things, I have resisted sinking down to that level of vitriol.

I don't understand the need for some comments here to continually grind my nose in the Canucks' loss -- the "kick a man when he's down" mentality.  Feel good about your win, by all means;  but is it also necessary to make the opposing team's fans feel as bad as you possibly can?  If that gives you pleasure,  then ... well let's just say that I hope you're not a parent.

As for the post-game reaction here, I went on record, stating that I abhor the behaviour of drunken louts who gave Vancouver a black eye, and congratulate those who responded to the Facebook call-to-arms and went downtown with brooms and shovels the next day to assist in the cleanup.  The degree of emotion associated with team sports and collective experiences brings out the best and worst in people, so clearly on display in Vancouver.

The Canucks "Cup window" will remain open for several more years, so I hope to revel in the sweet glow of a Stanley Cup victory sometime in the future.  If/when that happens, I will celebrate, but will also be sure not to insult opposing fans when their emotions are at their lowest point.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

That's a fair commentary, 49. As I said once, I was actually rooting for Van early in the playoffs (cheered their OT goal vs Chi) until it became apparent the B's were going to make some noise.  I still remain shocked at the C's behavior and commentary during the Final.  I'm also disappointed by my former friends' reactions as well.  I cannot recall a series vs another team when their players and fans acted in a manner that made me suddenly dislike them so much, regardless of the series outcome, other than a Montreal team of course. (yes that includes Philly) I think thats why there has been so much continued vitriol vs Vancouver and their fans on this board.

Still, the Canucks remain an elite team and their Cup window is wide open for the forseeable future, so you do have lots to be hopeful for.  If the B's cant win, I always find it interesting when first time teams like Vancouver or LA have a chance.  You sound like a good fan.  Best of luck.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

II understand but the Bruins hadn't won since 1972 with lots of heartbreak and my Van cousin is a sore loser!!!n Response to Re: My Cousin in Vancouver Is A Sore Loser!!:
    Well, I figured I was done with you guys, but since I see my name coming up several times in this thread, I guess I'll comment again. Yes, many Canuck fans (myself included) were crushed, bitter and angry about the  results of the Finals.  Many are still bitter, and will remain so until training camp (and maybe even longer).  To each his own. Yes, we all thought this was "the year", when all those disappointments over the past 40 years would be put behind us.  Alas, it was not to be.  In past years, I've gotten quite worked up about the shortcomings of our beloved Canucks, but as I've gotten older, I've learned to (or at least, tried to) take it all in stride.  Amazingly, the sun actually rose on June 16, and I was able to drag myself to work and put in a full day.  As time has gone on, I've come to realize that it was a very good season -- that being the best team in the league in the regular season, and the second to last team standing is an accomplishment that 28 other teams would be jealous of. (Yes, I know that pales in comparison to the Bruins' feat -- no need for anyone else to mention it). My bitterness lasted about a week, then I began to get over it, or at least, understand it. I commended TT, in many posts on this very site, of his stellar play, and defended my team's players when they were being thoroughly trashed by some commenters here.  I have attempted not to be a "sore loser", even in the face of some very "bad winners" here (you know who you are).  Despite being called all number of things, I have resisted sinking down to that level of vitriol. I don't understand the need for some comments here to continually grind my nose in the Canucks' loss -- the "kick a man when he's down" mentality.  Feel good about your win, by all means;  but is it also necessary to make the opposing team's fans feel as bad as you possibly can?  If that gives you pleasure,  then ... well let's just say that I hope you're not a parent. As for the post-game reaction here, I went on record, stating that I abhor the behaviour of drunken louts who gave Vancouver a black eye, and congratulate those who responded to the Facebook call-to-arms and went downtown with brooms and shovels the next day to assist in the cleanup.  The degree of emotion associated with team sports and collective experiences brings out the best and worst in people, so clearly on display in Vancouver. The Canucks "Cup window" will remain open for several more years, so I hope to revel in the sweet glow of a Stanley Cup victory sometime in the future.  If/when that happens, I will celebrate, but will also be sure not to insult opposing fans when their emotions are at their lowest point.
    Posted by 49-North

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Well, I figured I was done with you guys, but since I see my name coming up several times in this thread, I guess I'll comment again. Yes, many Canuck fans (myself included) were crushed, bitter and angry about the  results of the Finals.  Many are still bitter, and will remain so until training camp (and maybe even longer).  To each his own. Yes, we all thought this was "the year", when all those disappointments over the past 40 years would be put behind us.  Alas, it was not to be.  In past years, I've gotten quite worked up about the shortcomings of our beloved Canucks, but as I've gotten older, I've learned to (or at least, tried to) take it all in stride.  Amazingly, the sun actually rose on June 16, and I was able to drag myself to work and put in a full day.  As time has gone on, I've come to realize that it was a very good season -- that being the best team in the league in the regular season, and the second to last team standing is an accomplishment that 28 other teams would be jealous of. (Yes, I know that pales in comparison to the Bruins' feat -- no need for anyone else to mention it). My bitterness lasted about a week, then I began to get over it, or at least, understand it. I commended TT, in many posts on this very site, of his stellar play, and defended my team's players when they were being thoroughly trashed by some commenters here.  I have attempted not to be a "sore loser", even in the face of some very "bad winners" here (you know who you are).  Despite being called all number of things, I have resisted sinking down to that level of vitriol. I don't understand the need for some comments here to continually grind my nose in the Canucks' loss -- the "kick a man when he's down" mentality.  Feel good about your win, by all means;  but is it also necessary to make the opposing team's fans feel as bad as you possibly can?  If that gives you pleasure,  then ... well let's just say that I hope you're not a parent. As for the post-game reaction here, I went on record, stating that I abhor the behaviour of drunken louts who gave Vancouver a black eye, and congratulate those who responded to the Facebook call-to-arms and went downtown with brooms and shovels the next day to assist in the cleanup.  The degree of emotion associated with team sports and collective experiences brings out the best and worst in people, so clearly on display in Vancouver. The Canucks "Cup window" will remain open for several more years, so I hope to revel in the sweet glow of a Stanley Cup victory sometime in the future.  If/when that happens, I will celebrate, but will also be sure not to insult opposing fans when their emotions are at their lowest point.
    Posted by 49-North

Well said. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Come on, guys, as if its not the other way around for Habs fans in Boston.  And lets be honest, most of the REALLY out of line people were college-age guys.  What do you expect?  Thats how most of them act anyway, much less when youre team has been getting killed and its the last game of the year and youre afraid youre going to lose it all.  Seriously, I dont see anything in that video I didnt expect, and I DEFINITELY dont see anything REALLY out of line.  Most of it was in good fun.  Nobody got in his face and was SERIOUSLY going off.  Maybe there was stuff going on off camera, but I couldnt see anything out of the ordinary.

Sections
Shortcuts