My how the game has changed!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

My how the game has changed!

Last Saturday, I was at my local simulcasting site playing the ponies. On one of the screens they were showing a Bruins-Habs play-off game from the 70's with no sound.

The game was in Boston Garden. In those days, there we're no graphics save for the score. But, I think it was the 1979 series. I believe it must have been game 6.

The score was 1-1 after the second period, then they took it off.

The Bruins had Ratelle, O'Reilly, Sheppard, Milbury etc. etc. The Habs had Lafleur, Robinson, Lapointe, Dryden etc. etc.

Well, let me tell you: The game seemed so slow and often sloppy. Looking at it now, I wonder if some of these guys would be able to play in today's game. Even Guy Lafeur who seemed to skate like the wind appears to be slow by today's standards. Even his skating style when looked at today would make him one of poorer skaters in today's class.

It was fascinating to see but I kept comparing how they were to what we see today. There was lots of carrying the puck and losing the puck. Very little dump and chase. Defenseman jumping up in the play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: My how the game has changed!

In Response to My how the game has changed!:
    [QUOTE]Last Saturday, I was at my local simulcasting site playing the ponies. On one of the screens they were showing a Bruins-Habs play-off game from the 70's with no sound. The game was in Boston Garden. In those days, there we're no graphics save for the score. But, I think it was the 1979 series. I believe it must have been game 6. The score was 1-1 after the second period, then they took it off. The Bruins had Ratelle, O'Reilly, Sheppard, Milbury etc. etc. The Habs had Lafleur, Robinson, Lapointe, Dryden etc. etc. Well, let me tell you: The game seemed so slow and often sloppy. Looking at it now, I wonder if some of these guys would be able to play in today's game. Even Guy Lafeur who seemed to skate like the wind appears to be slow by today's standards. Even his skating style when looked at today would make him one of poorer skaters in today's class. It was fascinating to see but I kept comparing how they were to what we see today. There was lots of carrying the puck and losing the puck. Very little dump and chase. Defenseman jumping up in the play.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]
    I think the evolution in equipment explains a lot.The skates Lafleur wore had heavy,all steel blades and very limited support in the ankle area.I think today's players would look sloppier if forced to wear old style skates.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

i love to watch the old games on nhl network.  i think one of the reasons guys are better skaters now is the amount of time they spend on the ice from a young age.  i know guys whose 7 year-old kids are on the ice 4-5 times a week year round.  i don't know this for a fact but, i would suspect guys who grew up in the sixties were probably on the ice a couple times a week ( not counting pond hockey) maybe six months a year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Don't know about the early 60's ice time, but in the "68 etc. time frome, my peewees were skating 4-5 times a week from Sept. thru May in Rochester, N.Y. This was the same time Gretsky was beginning to show his minor hockey skills, so Canadian teams were on ice equally.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Also, Don Cherry coached a Hight School team that had ice time at least 4 times a week.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

maybe dez's theory is right.  it might be the skates.  i know there is a huge difference in skating between the 70's and today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Going to as many Ice Dogs games that I go to, I can't help notice how much bigger, stronger & faster the players are. These kids are 16-19 yrs. old & look so physically fit. I don't know what they put in the milk these days. I don't remember kids this age being this big 15-20 yrs. ago.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Todays players are bigger and faster.  All this has to do with training.  Lafleur came into most camps out of shape and used training camp to get into shape.  Todays players are no doubt more fit.
    In regards to Dez comments I also agree that the gear is so far advanced and light.  Players are constantly changing gloves, gear to remain lighter.  Has anyone ever lifted the older style goalie equipment. Its heavy.

I think evolution has made the game what it is today. 

The sad part about todays game is that every sports center starts with a head shot injury over a nice goal.