My Position on Trades

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

My Position on Trades

(1) Most would agree this team as constructed is not a Cup winner. It has some noticable flaws. The Bruins are, at best, the fifth or sixth most likely team to win the Cup, meaning any improvements would have to vault them over 4 or 5 teams  (highly unlikely).

(2) At the trade deadline, it is usually only possible to get role players or struggling players from struggling teams; Neither will be a solution to (1).

(3) Kaberle and Richards will be available for free on July 1; Kaberle has a stated preference for Boston.

(4) Any package for Kaberle/Richards risks losing the player at the end of the year without anything to show for it.

Conclusion: Keep as many assets as possible and make a move at the draft or over the summer. Make a serious cup run next year; patchwork solutions this year will only lose us assets and leave us disappointed if we don't win it all. It will be easier, cheaper, and more efficient to tweak the team after the draft and with the full list of free agent players. Trades can also still be made over the summer and the value for the acquirers of talent is higher than it is at the deadline.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: My Position on Trades

Goods points but let me offer a rebuttal:

1. any improvement helps their chances this year obviously

2. many EC teams are weaker then in the past (Pitt, Wash) which makes this a unique opportunity that we should take advantage of

3. Kaberle will not cost as much as you think...he wants to come here and BB needs to unload him to get something for him

4. We have not won in 40 yeras and I think the "next year" attitude is wearing a bit thin....

The time is now!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: My Position on Trades:
    [QUOTE]We have not won in 40 yeras and I think the "next year" attitude is wearing a bit thin.... The time is now!!!
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

Right, but that has no relation to whether we are going to win this year. We're so close as a franchise to being there, but we aren't yet. So instead of wasting our promising assets on a last-ditch effort to save this season, I think it would be more prudent to let our unwanted UFA/RFAs go in the summer, evaluate what we do have in terms of talent and cap space, and build from there.

We're close, but not there yet. We have a legitimate shot to be great for the next 7-10 years if we don't blow our load, and hold onto, and develop, the great assets we have at the moment.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

I also agree with some of what you said.

But we have an aging goalie who is playing out of his mind right now.  I know he has tired a bit lately but i am confident in him getting back to normal.  And the whole point brought up about waiting on Kaberle for free agency because he wants to be here really doesn't make sense.  If we can get him at a fair price this year and get an extension done i would do it instead of getting by the rest of the season.  As Walters said above, this is a unique year with Washington struggling and Pitts stars hurt.  Lets take advantage of it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I agree we should not "blow our load" in a misguided attempt to go balls out for this year. What I am suggesting is that if the opportunity is there then we should go for it. If we can get an a PMD for a reasonable price and maybe another complementary player then we should and here is why:

1. TT and Chara are not getting any younger and do not have 7-10 elite year left

2.we have the picks and young depth to make a move so long as it is reasonable

3. thanks to Savard on LTIR we have the cap space

4. the future is unknown and we may not have as good a chance as we have now next year or the year after.

We have an opportunity right now and we should take it.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Position on Trades : Right, but that has no relation to whether we are going to win this year. We're so close as a franchise to being there, but we aren't yet. So instead of wasting our promising assets on a last-ditch effort to save this season, I think it would be more prudent to let our unwanted UFA/RFAs go in the summer, evaluate what we do have in terms of talent and cap space, and build from there. We're close, but not there yet. We have a legitimate shot to be great for the next 7-10 years if we don't blow our load, and hold onto, and develop, the great assets we have at the moment.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

My position really stems from pessimism about our chances this year but great optimism regarding our future.

Jmwalters, I wasn't really refering to your propsoals when I said "blow our load"; more referring to the guys who are actively looking to shop the Tor pick for like Hejduk or some crap. Bostondynasty, I also agree that if we can get Kaberle for cheap now (Wheeler), then we might as well. In fact, I am okay with trading any roster player who we don't expect to be on the team next year (Wheeler, Ryder, Stuart, Paille, Hamill, etc). I am, however, very much against using up picks and prospects.

Another reason not to use significant assets to fix this team is because the team will look significantly different next year and I don't want to build up this team just to have it be dismantled.

Timmy and Z aren't getting any younger, true, but they'll both be around next year and will be fine in all likelihood. Also, you should expect Bergeron, Seguin, Lucic, Krejci, Marchand, Caron, Horton (maybe) to be a year older and better. We also don't know if guys like Sauve, Knight, the Tor pick, Colborne can jump in and change the face of the team. Finally, when you factor in that guys like Ryder, Recchi, and Paille are likely gone and the uncertain status of Wheeler, Stuart, Boychuk, and Kampfer, it doesn't make sense to add much to this current squad if the price is high.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cashman72. Show Cashman72's posts

Both of you raise great points. Basically it's go for it now versus leveraging for the future. After waiting 40 years for another cup, we have been pounded into submission for failure after failure. I mean, when twas he last time we got into the third round? As I've said on posts before, I believe the talent is almost there  but I'm of the opinion that CJ just can't get the most out of them. I used to be a fan of his but their inconsistancy is wearing that thin. So I'm not sure adding a prolific goal scorer or PMD will get it done under this coach/system.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Good points....I agree with you for the most part. I see this year as one essentially with two options:

1. go with what we have, see where it takes us, and wait until next year.

This is acceptable due to our stockpiling of picks and prospects. I am, for the first time in many years, quite excited to see some of the younger guys mature and see what will eventualy become of them....

2. Go for it now.

This is also acceptable to me since this year is a good one to do this if we can and if the risks are within reason. Obviously Philly is thinking the same thing.

Unlike many years we can do either and I will be content either way.

By the way, the "blow your load" phrase made me laugh which is why I used it in my reply...lol.

[QUOTE]My position really stems from pessimism about our chances this year but great optimism regarding our future. Jmwalters, I wasn't really refering to your propsoals when I said "blow our load"; more referring to the guys who are actively looking to shop the Tor pick for like Hejduk or some crap. Bostondynasty, I also agree that if we can get Kaberle for cheap now (Wheeler), then we might as well. In fact, I am okay with trading any roster player who we don't expect to be on the team next year (Wheeler, Ryder, Stuart, Paille, Hamill, etc). I am, however, very much against using up picks and prospects. Another reason not to use significant assets to fix this team is because the team will look significantly different next year and I don't want to build up this team just to have it be dismantled. Timmy and Z aren't getting any younger, true, but they'll both be around next year and will be fine in all likelihood. Also, you should expect Bergeron, Seguin, Lucic, Krejci, Marchand, Caron, Horton (maybe) to be a year older and better. We also don't know if guys like Sauve, Knight, the Tor pick, Colborne can jump in and change the face of the team. Finally, when you factor in that guys like Ryder, Recchi, and Paille are likely gone and the uncertain status of Wheeler, Stuart, Boychuk, and Kampfer, it doesn't make sense to add much to this current squad if the price is high.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]