My problem with Shawn Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: My problem with Shawn Thornton

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

My problem with Shawn Thornton was that he got suckered into giving a p@ssy a couple of bit^ch slaps. Supposedly concussed him & got suspended for 15 games. Glad he's back! 

Me too, B's 4th line as constituted does it job as well as any 4th line in the league.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

My problem with Shawn Thornton was that he got suckered into giving a p@ssy a couple of bit^ch slaps. Supposedly concussed him & got suspended for 15 games. Glad he's back! 

Me too, B's 4th line as constituted does it job as well as any 4th line in the league.  

According to most hockey experts they're the best 4th line in hockey. I'll take their word over people who consider Thornton a "skating clown" everytime. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

According to most hockey experts they're the best 4th line in hockey. I'll take their word over people who consider Thornton a "skating clown" everytime. 

word !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Thats right ,i haven't heard one hockey analyst or coach or G.M refer to 4th line players as skating clowns. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Thats right ,i haven't heard one hockey analyst or coach or G.M refer to 4th line players as skating clowns. 

Thats bc a lot of those analyst and gms were skating clowns.  :-). 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Thats bc a lot of those analyst and gms were skating clowns.  :-). 

Haha, true that, what about Paul McGuire though?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Fresh topic.

CJ has already adjusted the model this season to scratch ST from time-to-time.  Think that is a prudent approach.  Caron did not use them wisely, so next man up...Fraser or Florek.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Fresh topic.

CJ has already adjusted the model this season to scratch ST from time-to-time.  Think that is a prudent approach.  Caron did not use them wisely, so next man up...Fraser or Florek.

Exactly Crowls.  The days of Julien refusing to make adjustments are history.  I think he has it right.  Play Thornton when he might be needed, sit him when he's not.  I trust Julien and PC to figure this out.  Maybe if someone takes off with those minutes (anti-Caron-ing) Thornton plays less and less.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

A voice of reason in a Stanley thread.  I hold to the chemstry factor when understanding Thornton role on the team.  I cannot explain, but CJ and the management team must be thinking the same.  To wit: If Thornton is losing fights, then other teams must have enforcers on their team, correct?  Me thinks so.

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Fresh topic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Barring injury or injuries to someone I think Carons time is done in Boston. He had multiple oppurtunities and for whatever reasons failed to make the most of them.

When Chris Kelly returns I suspect he's back in the line up. I do think between Thornton, Spooner and Fraser, the lateer two will be sent down. Can't see Soderberg getting benched, and there will be more injuries that give Spooner and Fraser more time with the big club.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

We spend waaaay too much time talking about the 13th forward.

That's what Thornton would be if camp broke today.  Spooner has clearly surpassed him (on pace for about 45 points over a full year - all assists, but still).  Fraser and Florek look like they'll present him with a serious challenge next year, and you could say that Fraser, with a couple of bouts and a couple of goals is bringing as much to the table as ST except whatever mysterious quality means that they pitch a shutout against one of the best home teams in the league with ST in the lineup after two porous games.  Makes no sense, but it keeps happening, and I'm firmly in the camp that thinks the goal of the NHL roster is to win games, not develop talent.  You need to develop talent, but they have to cross a threshold where they're able to improve your chances of winning games and then they get the chance to grow.

The big problem is "role".  His role is to answer the bell when someone comes looking for a "momentum" staged bout.  Or when someone gets a little too vigorous with Krejci/Bergeron.  Chara, Lucic, McQuaid could go with anyone; Iginla with anyone but the super-heavyweights.  Miller's game, Campbell (sadly) will go with anyone...but every one of those guys should be picking his battles pretty freaking judiciously.  In terms of that role, who's his successor?  There isn't one.  It was MacDermid. I don't think it's Camara who's starting to find his hands in the AHL lately and isn't chucking fists very often.  All of this to say, I won't be surprised if Thornton's on the roster next year.  If he wants to be, which I can't say I take for granted.  Bit of a strange cat for a hockey player in that he didn't grow up living and breathing the game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I'll say,i didn't realize it was that interesting or even riveting to some, but here we all are again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Barring injury or injuries to someone I think Carons time is done in Boston. He had multiple oppurtunities and for whatever reasons failed to make the most of them.

When Chris Kelly returns I suspect he's back in the line up. I do think between Thornton, Spooner and Fraser, the lateer two will be sent down. Can't see Soderberg getting benched, and there will be more injuries that give Spooner and Fraser more time with the big club.

Caron will do much better with a team that needs his defensive skills.....see Sobotka's cereer since he was traded......Sobotka in Boston 134 games 22 points......Caron 88 games 25 points...Hope he gets the same chance to play lots of minutes elsewhere.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

That's what Thornton would be if camp broke today.  Spooner has clearly surpassed him (on pace for about 45 points over a full year - all assists, but still).  Fraser and Florek look like they'll present him with a serious challenge next year, and you could say that Fraser, with a couple of bouts and a couple of goals is bringing as much to the table as ST except whatever mysterious quality means that they pitch a shutout against one of the best home teams in the league with ST in the lineup after two porous games.  Makes no sense, but it keeps happening, and I'm firmly in the camp that thinks the goal of the NHL roster is to win games, not develop talent.  You need to develop talent, but they have to cross a threshold where they're able to improve your chances of winning games and then they get the chance to grow.

The big problem is "role".  His role is to answer the bell when someone comes looking for a "momentum" staged bout.  Or when someone gets a little too vigorous with Krejci/Bergeron.  Chara, Lucic, McQuaid could go with anyone; Iginla with anyone but the super-heavyweights.  Miller's game, Campbell (sadly) will go with anyone...but every one of those guys should be picking his battles pretty freaking judiciously.  In terms of that role, who's his successor?  There isn't one.  It was MacDermid. I don't think it's Camara who's starting to find his hands in the AHL lately and isn't chucking fists very often.  All of this to say, I won't be surprised if Thornton's on the roster next year.  Ifis  he wants to be, which I can't say I take for granted.  Bit of a strange cat for a hockey player in that he didn't grow up living and breathing the game.

Book, this is the smartest thing I've read in this thread. There is no-one in the stable of kids trying to break the lineup that is applying for Thorntons role.  We as Bruins fans are spoiled and think we don't need a guy like him but we do to deflect punches in the face to our good players.

Yes he basically fights for draws now, but his teammates love him and feel better when he's in the lineup.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to Neecic's comment:

The big problem is "role".  His role is to answer the bell when someone comes looking for a "momentum" staged bout.  Or when someone gets a little too vigorous with Krejci/Bergeron.  Chara, Lucic, McQuaid could go with anyone; Iginla with anyone but the super-heavyweights.  Miller's game, Campbell (sadly) will go with anyone...but every one of those guys should be picking his battles pretty freaking judiciously.  In terms of that role, who's his successor?  There isn't one.  It was MacDermid. I don't think it's Camara who's starting to find his hands in the AHL lately and isn't chucking fists very often.  All of this to say, I won't be surprised if Thornton's on the roster next year.  Ifis  he wants to be, which I can't say I take for granted.  Bit of a strange cat for a hockey player in that he didn't grow up living and breathing the game.

Book, this is the smartest thing I've read in this thread. There is no-one in the stable of kids trying to break the lineup that is applying for Thorntons role.  We as Bruins fans are spoiled and think we don't need a guy like him but we do to deflect punches in the face to our good players.

Yes he basically fights for draws now, but his teammates love him and feel better when he's in the lineup.

I totally agree with this too.....Thorton has a specific role on the team and no one in the pipeline  right now can fill that role.....Every team has an enforcer and until that role disappears troughout the NHL, the Bruins will carry that type of player......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

[QUOTE]

. . .  and I'm firmly in the camp that thinks the goal of the NHL roster is to win games, not develop talent. 

Book, do you believe in "Windows"?(not a Linux debate) If the Bruins' window for winning the Cup is closing, I just see Kelly giving the Bruins a better shot in the short run to win the Cup, when he's the 3rd line centre. If you no longer believe that you have a legitimate shot, then sure-play Spooner and put Kelly on the 4th line and then Thornton's gone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

In response to Chef09's comment:

. . .  and I'm firmly in the camp that thinks the goal of the NHL roster is to win games, not develop talent. 

Book, do you believe in "Windows"?(not a Linux debate) If the Bruins' window for winning the Cup is closing, I just see Kelly giving the Bruins a better shot in the short run to win the Cup, when he's the 3rd line centre. If you no longer believe that you have a legitimate shot, then sure-play Spooner and put Kelly on the 4th line and then Thornton's gone.

Question not addressed to me but I think you have to go for broke over the next couple years.  Once Chara is gone or to old we will be a boat without a paddle.  You can't replace a guy like that, I'm sure they have a plan but I'd love to hear it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Question not addressed to me but I think you have to go for broke over the next couple years.  Once Chara is gone or to old we will be a boat without a paddle.  You can't replace a guy like that, I'm sure they have a plan but I'd love to hear it.

I agree,one of a kind, the team will not be the same or have the same aura. A guy i know from work who is a Hab fan says he can't wait for Chara to retire because then the B's won't be in the upper echelon of the league,he's that good. I hope the B's brass has a plan and a good one because i dread the day when Big Z retires.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

Question not addressed to me but I think you have to go for broke over the next couple years.  Once Chara is gone or to old we will be a boat without a paddle.  You can't replace a guy like that,I'm sure they have a plan but I'd love to hear it.

I agree,one of a kind, the team will not be the same or have the same aura. A guy i know from work who is a Hab fan says he can't wait for Chara to retire because then the B's won't be in the upper echelon of the league,he's that good. I hope the B's brass has a plan and a good one because i dread the day when Big Z retires.

$7mil to replace the best defenseman and the scariest man in the league.  Go all in for the next few years.  He's their golden goose.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

$7mil to replace the best defenseman and the scariest man in the league.  Go all in for the next few years.  He's their golden goose.

[/QUOTE]

$7 mil won't come close to replacing Chara, so yes the B's should go for it the next 3 or 4 yrs, i'd be happy with one more Cup and even that will be very hard to get. Health,chemistry, goaltending and a rested Chara are whats needed and even then the B's need the bounces.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I do and I don't believe in "windows," and I agree that they should be attempting to get over the hump every year they have Cedfano.  More importantly, you can tell management believes they're close every year right now, and they're doing everything they can to build on the foundation.  I expect Spooner to get the Hamilton treatment or the Seguin treatment - he'll be around the rest of the year, but come the playoffs, he's probably watching unless he's made a very strong statement between now and then.  That would see ST in a suit.

We'll get a chance to see how the team will fare post Chara over the next couple of years.  He's not quite as dominant as he was in 2011, so there will be slack for others to pick up.  Hamilton will eat up a lot of minutes as he progresses, though he isn't the initimidator Chara is.  From there, it will be up to Chiarelli to make a move.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Whether you like him or not, Thornton is one of only a few 4th line tough guys in this league that can play 8-9 minutes a game, chip in an occasional goal, and not kill you defensivly. It's a safe bet that he is well liked in the lockeroom as well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Then why don't you go read another article by God's Other Son McKenzie and leave the discussion to those of us who have opinions that aren't formed by solely taking the word of a media darling.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

I dont about you guys (some of you have already mentionned that ST is done) but why keep him iin the line up when we could continue developping a younger player like Matt Fraser or Florek that could become an excellent 4th liner by the end of the season ...???

is there a logical explanation or is it simply that CJ is in love with ST .?

I know I've already written some posts on this topic and I have nothing against ST he's been great for the Bruins in the past but isnt time to turn the page and give his ice time to a youngster ??

your opinion and comments please

Hey, they won with him in the line up thats better than the previous 2 games....Enough already

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

In response to billge's comment:

For someone so unimportant to the team (he is not first line center , or a lead defenseman) he is sure important to you.  Monomania or something like that

Agree. Enough. They lost the previous 2 games and won this one.

Sections
Shortcuts