My problem with Shawn Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

Re: My problem with Shawn Thornton

In response to dannycater's comment:

Thornton is to me important in a lesser extent as Mark Recchi was during the Cup run. It is almost unheard of that a 4th line in the NHL actually has a nickname (Merlot) let alone that one exists as a consistent line on a NHL team. But what Thornton does is not force a McQuaid or Lucic take 5 minutes off for fighting because the B's need a boost, or the B's need to answer to ridiculous checks by the opposing team. Thornton takes care of business, like Recchi took care of tip-ins and giving the B's a veteran presence to look up to in the locker-room or even get a pat on the back. Thornton is a team-first guy and that's the only reason he got suspended in the first place--answering a concussion check on Eriksson. People forget or maybe the thread starter that Thornton picked up the B's during the Rangers series with offense. The guy has a good shot that is on target, and he does actually have hockey skills--forechecking one of them. He's slow, just like Recchi was, but I feel he still adds an important cog to the B's. Would a Florek or Fraser do better with Campbell/Paille--maybe--but I like the intangibles with Shawn. He's a fan favorite and he gets the team and the crowd going and there's nothing wrong with that.

WELL SAID. AGREE 100%

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

My problem with Shawn Thornton was that he got suckered into giving a p@ssy a couple of bit^ch slaps. Supposedly concussed him & got suspended for 15 games. Glad he's back! 

Yeah me also

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rmcd. Show rmcd's posts

I would look no further than the Anaheim and LA games.  The players that the Bruins are developing seem to be trending towards smaller more talented types (Spooner, Fraser, Krug, Bartkowski.) resulting in a less tough, less experienced team incapable of competing against the iron of the Western Conference. Not that 2 losses is definitive proof of my opinion or that Thorntons return is the reason The B's beat San Jose. But whereas experience obviusly comes from playing, size cant be taught. And that is not to take anything away from the toughness of the aforementioned players.

You may remember a scene in one of the Bruins documentaries that replay on NESN occasionally where Milt Scmidt is rebuilding the B's in the 1960's and exhorts his scouts  "If they can fit through the door, I don't want them.", giving rise to the original "Big Bad Bruins".  Hockey hasn't changed all that much since then.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Pretty much the entire hockey universe has no problem with Shawn Thornton being a member of the Boston Bruins.  Coaches, GM's, Writers, Analysts the list goes on.  Most fans understand the fact that maybe all of these people maybe know something we don't.

For some reason though, 3 or 4 folks here, seem to feel it necessary to create a new thread on this subject every week or so, and it's always the same ones that are leading the charge.

The "writing clown" that starts the next one should get a virtual boarding, charging, double minor for roughing, fighting, targeting the head, match, deliberate attempt to injure and a 30 day suspension.  Followed directly by a "public nuisance" charge.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Fresh topic.

CJ has already adjusted the model this season to scratch ST from time-to-time.  Think that is a prudent approach.  Caron did not use them wisely, so next man up...Fraser or Florek.

Exactly Crowls.  The days of Julien refusing to make adjustments are history.  I think he has it right.  Play Thornton when he might be needed, sit him when he's not.  I trust Julien and PC to figure this out.  Maybe if someone takes off with those minutes (anti-Caron-ing) Thornton plays less and less.

I think it's CJ biggest growth as coach he's done since he's been here. He actually uses his timeouts in the 1st period after a long shift in their zone & they ice it! Using his 4th line with 2 minutes left in a 1 goal game regardless of who was winning at the time. I truly believe that Neely had a lot to do with this. As we all remember how po'd he was after CJ scratched Seguin & said in a very angry tone..."Coaches Decision" you could tell Cam wasn't happy with some of the "coaches decisions" back then. So, I think it's great how Claude has grown with the team. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

According to most hockey experts they're the best 4th line in hockey. I'll take their word over people who consider Thornton a "skating clown" everytime. 

Then why don't you go read another article by God's Other Son McKenzie and leave the discussion to those of us who have opinions that aren't formed by solely taking the word of a media darling.

I read a lot of articles. Not my fault their opinion is more note worthy bud. You & your co-horts are the few people who doesn't like Thornton &  you all make that very clear. So, if you're going to be part of the minority, you should be able to take the flack of having a minority opinion. Also, since we read BDC's "GODS Word" in here we should be able to have an opinion on what we read. When it comes to Shawn Thornton & his value the Bruins? You're opinion suks! So live with it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

My problem with Shawn Thornton was that he got suckered into giving a p@ssy a couple of bit^ch slaps. Supposedly concussed him & got suspended for 15 games. Glad he's back! 

Right to the point as usual. Not proud of what he did but I've been on his band wagon all along. Can't put my finger on it but I just like the guy. Some are naturals out there and some like ST have to work harder than the rest. I just respect the fact all of these guys have a long and tough battle to make it to the NHL. I envy the way guys like Thornton had to do it. Never been in the locker room -- but I get the feeling the guys that are there -- feel pretty glad he's around. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I read a lot of articles. Not my fault their opinion is more note worthy bud. You & your co-horts are the few people who doesn't like Thornton &  you all make that very clear. So, if you're going to be part of the minority, you should be able to take the flack of having a minority opinion. Also, since we read BDC's "GODS Word" in here we should be able to have an opinion on what we read. When it comes to Shawn Thornton & his value the Bruins? You're opinion suks! So live with it!

You suck, nite.  LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Pretty much the entire hockey universe has no problem with Shawn Thornton being a member of the Boston Bruins.  Coaches, GM's, Writers, Analysts the list goes on.  Most fans understand the fact that maybe all of these people maybe know something we don't.

For some reason though, 3 or 4 folks here, seem to feel it necessary to create a new thread on this subject every week or so, and it's always the same ones that are leading the charge.

The "writing clown" that starts the next one should get a virtual boarding, charging, double minor for roughing, fighting, targeting the head, match, deliberate attempt to injure and a 30 day suspension.  Followed directly by a "public nuisance" charge.

Agree 100%.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

You suck, nite.  LOL

Luv Ya Buddy!!! Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's not what they understand that we don't, it's what they accept that we don't:  Skating Clowns.

They are starting to come around, however.  I've been writing about the stupidity of staged fights here for four years.  When I started it, many here thought I was nuts and that my attack on fighting made me some sort of pansy hockey hater.

As the years go on, the media is growing more and more tired of the "Hi how are you?  How did Mary do on her nursing test?  Oh, good, good.  Yeah, Sunday works.  Good.  Drop 'em in the second?  Ok pal" bulldingo that has become "fighting".

Coaches and GMs and players accept it because they all work in the same field:  entertainment.  If people don't come, none of them work.  Staged fighting puts the pink hats into a tizzy.  Good for business.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

It's not what they understand that we don't, it's what they accept that we don't:  Skating Clowns.

They are starting to come around, however.  I've been writing about the stupidity of staged fights here for four years.  When I started it, many here thought I was nuts and that my attack on fighting made me some sort of pansy hockey hater.

As the years go on, the media is growing more and more tired of the "Hi how are you?  How did Mary do on her nursing test?  Oh, good, good.  Yeah, Sunday works.  Good.  Drop 'em in the second?  Ok pal" bulldingo that has become "fighting".

Coaches and GMs and players accept it because they all work in the same field:  entertainment.  If people don't come, none of them work.  Staged fighting puts the pink hats into a tizzy.  Good for business.

That's a whole different topic nas.  I'm in full agreement with you regarding "staged fights".  Getting rid of that aspect of the game, comes before continuous rants against Sean Thornton though.  

Also, those people you refer to, as "coming around"...I disagree with your interpretation.  Although you're correct in the assumption that fighting is becoming less and less acceptable, the mainstream media, and society in general don't know enough about the game to even comprehend the 'staged" fight.

That growing discontent you're speaking of, is against "fighting".  It's against what's perceived as excessive, gratuitous violence.  The fact that 'staged fights"  fall into that category is almost coincidence.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

When it comes to Shawn Thornton & his value the Bruins? You're opinion suks! So live with it!

[/QUOTE]

Being a contrarian does have it's disadvantages sometimes. Having opinions that suk is one of them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

We got more problems with Thornton than the Bruins do

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

When it comes to Shawn Thornton & his value the Bruins? You're opinion suks! So live with it!

Being a contrarian does have it's disadvantages sometimes. Having opinions that suk is one of them.

LOL! Fair enuff Chowda!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Funny the way things appear sometimes.  Actually only a very select few have a problem with Thornton.  Most of us don't.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Funny the way things appear sometimes.  Actually only a very select few have a problem with Thornton.  Most of us don't.

Cheers to that! Hey Steve; I wonder if McQuaid made Thornton buy him a few steak dinners...Probably not since Shawn lost over 86 grand. Thorts probably doesn't have to put his credit card in the hat when the team goes out for meals for the remainder of the season. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

My problem with Thornton ?

There can never be enough threads about him maintained at the top of bdc.

Bump.

• Sections
    Shortcuts