My Tyler Seguin Fear

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

My Tyler Seguin Fear

I am not saying it's going to happen, but my fear is that Tyler Seguin will turn out to be like another 2nd overall pick from a fairly recent draft: Jason Spezza.

Where Spezza is a bit bigger, Seguin is faster; both have a solid shot and serious dangles at times. Both are predominantly playmakers but have a defnitely above average ability to score. On the other hand, we know Spezza can be eliminated from the play fairly easily by engaging him in physical play, which is something we've seen from Seguin so far (because he's young or because it's his game, I'm not sure). Personality-wise, if you've ever seen an interviews of Spezza and Seguin, don't you feel as though Spezza could be Seguin's older brother? They're very similar in the way they answer questions and speak.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with having a Jason Spezza on the team, but I don't consider him to be a franchise player (esp. for the contract he has). Nor would the Bruins really need a Spezza-like player with our depth at center. I have higher hopes for Seguin, but fear he might turn out to be like Spezza.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: My Tyler Seguin Fear

You have got to be kidding me...

27 games into his NHL career and you already accusing Seguin of being a soft player?  Can you give some examples of this, because I have not seen it happen at all?  Your secondary data-point is how he gives interviews?  

Why don't we all give this kid a chance to develop before we anoint him the next Steve Yzerman or Jason Spezza. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

27 games in and Seguin is a soft player. Is he a rookie and can he improve? Definitely. But as of now, compared with the average NHL-er, he is soft. You haven't seen it? Watch when he goes after the puck in the corners next time or when he is battling against the boards.

But, no, I am not throwing him under the bus 27 games in, but it is fun (this is a hockey message board, correct?) to speculate as to who a prospect compares to and a lot of people (myself included) have speculated names like Stamkos, Datsyuk, Lafontaine, etc, etc. 27 games in we have more information to work with in making those comparisons. Here I included a comparison I do not think is favorable to the B's and also one I don't want to happen (hence it is called my "fear" for Tyler Seguin).

Also, please note that my initial post started with, "I am not saying it's going to happen..." I only then proceeded to make comparisons between the two. Also note that I cited playing style first and personality second. And, yes, personality does matter in evaluating prospects. That's why teams spend boatloads of $$$ on psychological evaluations of these players before they're drafted -- think any one outside of the Island wants to end up with a Kabanov case?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to My Tyler Seguin Fear:
    I am not saying it's going to happen, but my fear is that Tyler Seguin will turn out to be like another 2nd overall pick from a fairly recent draft: Jason Spezza. Where Spezza is a bit bigger, Seguin is faster; both have a solid shot and serious dangles at times. Both are predominantly playmakers but have a defnitely above average ability to score. On the other hand, we know Spezza can be eliminated from the play fairly easily by engaging him in physical play, which is something we've seen from Seguin so far (because he's young or because it's his game, I'm not sure). Personality-wise, if you've ever seen an interviews of Spezza and Seguin, don't you feel as though Spezza could be Seguin's older brother? They're very similar in the way they answer questions and speak. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with having a Jason Spezza on the team, but I don't consider him to be a franchise player (esp. for the contract he has). Nor would the Bruins really need a Spezza-like player with our depth at center. I have higher hopes for Seguin, but fear he might turn out to be like Spezza.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

Even though Seguin gets a lot of flak for his physical game ,he still plays with  more jam than Spezza.At least he attempts to make hits whereas Spezza goes out of his way to avoid making one.Spezza had 6 hits through the first 30 games last year(I watch a lot of Sens games on sportsnet).To put that in perspective Lucic had 8 in one game.So I appreciate your concern but feel your fears are unfounded.Hope I'm right.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Why does anyone say "Seguin is primarily a playmaker"?  His first year at Plymouth, yeah, he had significantly more assists than goals, but his second year, he had 48-58-106, and in the NHL his goals (he has the same number of goals as assists) have been more spectacular than his assists.  The kid likes to score goals, he drives the net hard off the rush, and he knows what an asset his wheels are.  Spezza will pass up a breakaway to skate to the half-wall and attempt to hit the trailer with a blind, no-look pass.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I don't want Seguin banging it up.  That's not his game.  Never has been.  In a couple years you'll see what he's all about.  He won't need to hit guys, he'll just pick pocket them, then score.

Worrying about Seguin being soft is like worrying about Thornton's offensive production.  It's ridiculous.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

It's human nature to have concerns when you are dealing with the unknown. But, let me assure you that there is a big difference between Spezza and Seguin.

There are two major differences that point to Seguin becoming a superior player to Spezza.

1. Regardless of his skills, Spezza does not have the speed to counteract the physical play. Stickhandling and passing will only get you so far, and Spezza lacks speed. Seguin has an abundance of speed that will keep the hitters on their heels.

2. The space between their ears is also different. Spezza can only play one way and when the going gets tough he will disappear. Seguin has the presence of mind to evaluate what is happening and can think ahead of all on the ice to make things happen. Spezza plays a reactive game, Seguin plays a proactive game; therefore Seguin will have control of what goes on on the ice.

Also, Seguin has pure determination. By that I mean he pushes himself. He doesn't require someone to push him or need to see someone else lead the way to be effective.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

I wouldn't worry about Seguin being a soft player.  Remember, he is only 18 years old.

Here are some goal scoring stats when these players were 18 and 19 years old:

Kessel:  11 goals, 19 goals
    Lucic:   8 goals, 17 goals
    Stamkos: 23 goals, 51 goals
    Spezza:  7 goals, 22 goals
    Joe Thorton:  3 goals, 16 goals
    Iginla: 21 goals, 13 goals

What is Seguin on pace for???   15 goals.  Right in the middle of these starts who broke into the NHL @ 18 yrs old.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Again, I am not saying Seguin is going to be a failure. My main point was that I don't want him to be a Spezza but that I could see it happening. I mean, if everything we give Seguin the benefit of the doubt on ends up going wrong (which it could, lets be fair), I see him being like Spezza. And I don't want that. But you could fairly disagree and say that the Bruins should be lucky to have a Spezza in the lineup.

Dez, hope you're right. I watch Spezza/the Sens pretty frequently, but I don't think as much as you probably do. Great stat about the hits per game/season. Wheatskins, great point about the mind-set. There's no way for us to really know at this point, but I can see what you're getting at and I hope you're right. I hope both of you are right.

Bim, I don't think it is ridiculous to worry about our future star being soft. Soft stars don't win championships. Guys like Toews, Crosby, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Sharp aren't considered "tough" but they've got a certain level of grit that allows their skills to emerge. If you look at other cup winning stars in the past few years (Getzlaf, Perry, E. Staal), they're pretty tough characters even if not scrappers or bangers.

One last time, I am not saying Seguin is a failure or that he is disappointing me so far. I am saying that my fear is that his potential could peak at Spezza-status, which would make me sad. As a hockey fan, I enjoy player comparisons (for example, would you trade Eric Staal for Datsyuk straight up if they were the same age?) and speculation about prospect development, but there are situations that don't work out and I just wanted to raise one of them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Watching Seguin's play in the OHL I'd have to agree that his play in that league was more of a playmaker then a goal scorer. Other posters give the stats that show last year's totals indicate his goal and assist totals were pretty even . Do they take into account that those assist totals could have been a little higher if he had linemates who could have buried those chances because of his playmaking abilities ? IMO he was a playmaker who could also score in the OHL. Maybe his role will change in the NHL ( being a goalscorer ) . If you go by stats or boxscores alone you are not getting the whole picture of a certain players abilities . 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Sequin bores me! I know he is young and I will give him a couple years. But, other than announcers overreacting every time he does something decent, he doesn't do much.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Seguin plays onky 10 minutes per game ...not enough Taylor Hall played 19:57minutes last night ....with more ice time Tyler would developp much faster ....

Seguin :     27gp   5g  5a 10pts +1 3ppp  46 sog
    Hall  :        28gp  10g 6a 16pts -4  4ppp  74 sog

Hall played over 100 minutes more than Tyler ....give Tyler the same ice time and he would be ahead (100 minutes = approx 5 games at 20 minutes per game)

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

In Response to Re: My Tyler Seguin Fear:
    You have got to be kidding me... 27 games into his NHL career and you already accusing Seguin of being a soft player?  Can you give some examples of this, because I have not seen it happen at all?  Your secondary data-point is how he gives interviews?   Why don't we all give this kid a chance to develop before we anoint him the next Steve Yzerman or Jason Spezza. 
    Posted by Crowls2424

DC has a valid point and seguin yes 27 games in is soft, and i fully expect him to improve on this.  When you see a guy like hall and skinner play more of a physical game it would raise comments such as DC stated. All in all time will tell and far as spezza goes,I think he needs a new team to become a force.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Tonight will be a good game for Seguin's development. The Flyers are the team I would have Seguin play 82 games a year to develop him. They've got all of the elements Seguin will need to exploit to become a star:

- Strong centers
    - Physical team
    - Poor goaltending
    - Team speed
    - Depth

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He goes from playing against kids to playing against the best in the world.  It's going to take a little more than 27 games to get going.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

The Bruins are strong and healthy with vet. forwards especially With Savard back.
    Seguin will be mostly on the third line this season, CJ should put him on the PK and PP more often. Pat Burns did the same with Jumbo Joe and the next year Thornton was a better and smarter player. As i recall Thornton did get similar ice time his first year with the Bruins. Some players are like good wine much better with time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

Seguin is terrible.  I like his Dunkin Donuts commercial, though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmb246. Show dmb246's posts

need to start getting him on the pp quickest way to get him the confidence he needs CJ has him so worried about screwing up defensivley that you can see him getting more and more timid with his offense

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Seguin  is no Hall but he is certainly the Bruin with the most upside.

He'll be better than Kessel...and that will justify the trade !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Look at this YOUNG man. He is very fast; he controls the puck; he can score; he makes very good passes; and he is being stifled by Claude's system. This past summer he trained with Cammeleri and othe top players. He is not as lanky as Spezza, but he is over 6' and at 18 is similiar in size to Horton right now. Granted he is not as strong as veteran NHL players, but he will be.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

NAS....good call...he's a still a boy, playing with men....also good call Wheatskin. I don't think from what we see, Seguin has any problems between the ears. I'm comfortable as well with the fact that we don't have to play him like a rented mule on a bad team to get results for your team.  I wonder if Tom Renney would play Hall 15 or 20 mins a game if he coached a top 5 team ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

No he wouldn't. I like how Seguin is being used at the moment, there's no real pressure on him right now, except that which he puts on himself, yet he is able to develop alongside NHL talent, rather than Junior or AHL calibre players. They're taking him slow and giving him time to get his sea legs. He won't get the Calder, but he doesn't need to. He just needs to learn to play at this level and that's what I see happening with him. As he grows and knows the basics of the system, you'll see him let loose more often. Learning a hockey system is similar to writing - you need to know the basics before you can attempt to push the limits of what can be done or created.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

The kid has good speed and quickness (not the same thing) as well as excellent ability to handle the puck and has a great shot. His passing ability is also way above average. The kid seems to have intelligence and determination. He works hard and appears to be the kind of person who strives for improvement at all times. So what's missing that prevents him from being a great player? TIME!
    27 games at age 18 is waaaay too early to make comparisons.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Honestly, any who is judging Seguin's long term impact based on a handful of games as a rookie 18 year old needs to get their head checked.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Honestly, I don't want to read Seguin projections...at least until the kid has played half a season.  (How accurate are any of these in the first year?)  Regardless, I know this much: The kid is a great athlete; works hard; wants to develop his potential.  In fact, I've watched him execute some very fine plays on the ice at 18 years of age.

Quite frankly, this year is gravy...no criticims from me all year.

I wish Tyler Seguin the very best and hope that he finds the ways to compete and play NL hockey for many years to come.

Sections
Shortcuts