My Tyler Seguin Fear

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Re: My Tyler Seguin Fear

Again, I didn't mean to say he's not developing, just that if he develops this way without adding new tools (just improving what he's already got), it seems like he'd be a lot like Spezza.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: My Tyler Seguin Fear:
    Again, I didn't mean to say he's not developing, just that if he develops this way without adding new tools (just improving what he's already got), it seems like he'd be a lot like Spezza.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

Develops which way? He hasn't even played 30 NHL games yet.  RELAX.  The kid so full of skill it's insane.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Posted by dc-bruins-fan

I hear ya, dc....it's just too early to speculate.
    Are you in Washinton DC?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Obviously it's too early, but we're hockey fans, and we enjoy speculating...so I thought I'd throw that comp out there.

I have a feeling if Seguin scores or lights it up tonight, people will be standing in line to feed me crow tonight.

And, yep, I am in Washington, DC.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

You have got to be kidding me... 27 games into his NHL career and you already accusing Seguin of being a soft player?  Can you give some examples of this, because I have not seen it happen at all?  Your secondary data-point is how he gives interviews?   Why don't we all give this kid a chance to develop before we anoint him the next Steve Yzerman or Jason Spezza. 
    Posted by Crowls2424

Come on now, the guy has a point. I mean, the fact that the way they talk is similar is a huge clue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThirdJersey. Show ThirdJersey's posts

Just remember what you were doing @ 18 years old, then post again! He'll get there. No worries. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

Who's this Seguin kid everyone's talking about??????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

My Tyler Seguin fear, is that he will be a healthy scratch, in order to give Dan Paille some ice time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Obviously it's too early, but we're hockey fans, and we enjoy speculating...so I thought I'd throw that comp out there. I have a feeling if Seguin scores or lights it up tonight, people will be standing in line to feed me crow tonight. And, yep, I am in Washington, DC.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

I don't think anyone will rush here to call you out.  The mere idea of judging an 18 year old in the NHL with less than 30 games is so stupid, I doubt anyone will flock here to point out how dumb this all is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

It's not like I am judging him poorly -- I said he plays a similar game to Jason Spezza. Obviously if I think he can be like a $7 million player, I think he'll be "fine". I would prefer he didn't turn out to be Spezza though. If through his development Seguin only becomes more effective at what he already does, I think it's very likely.

For example, Kessel has been skating down the wing and firing snapshots from the top of circle along with that toe-drag move since day 1. His only real development has been to improve that single move. Kessel now and then is bascially the same player except more effective. If you think about it, after thirty games, Kessel was pretty much the player he is now without the finish. If Seguin were to do the same, and not develop any new moves or display a noticeable change in style of play (which is usually what occurs during "development") I see him as a Spezza-type.

I would love to see Seguin develop like Krejci. Remember how timid the kid was when he started here? Seemed a lot like Seguin does now. Back then Krejci was a fourth-liner. Eventually, he developed new tricks in the NHL like being able to slow the game down the way he does. I hope Seguin does the same. If not, he'd be very much like Spezza.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's not like I am judging him poorly -- I said he plays a similar game to Jason Spezza. Obviously if I think he can be like a $7 million player, I think he'll be "fine". I would prefer he didn't turn out to be Spezza though. If through his development Seguin only becomes more effective at what he already does, I think it's very likely. For example, Kessel has been skating down the wing and firing snapshots from the top of circle along with that toe-drag move since day 1. His only real development has been to improve that single move. Kessel now and then is bascially the same player except more effective. If you think about it, after thirty games, Kessel was pretty much the player he is now without the finish. If Seguin were to do the same, and not develop any new moves or display a noticeable change in style of play (which is usually what occurs during "development") I see him as a Spezza-type. I would love to see Seguin develop like Krejci. Remember how timid the kid was when he started here? Seemed a lot like Seguin does now. Back then Krejci was a fourth-liner. Eventually, he developed new tricks in the NHL like being able to slow the game down the way he does. I hope Seguin does the same. If not, he'd be very much like Spezza.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

I don't recall Krejci being timid at all.  In fact, I recall being very impress by Krejci in his first or second game as he raced for a puck.  Normally, one of the skaters will pull up going into the corner to avoid getting hit.  Krejci kept on the path, made the lightning quick pass and then got buried.  Not timid in my book.

This thread is insane.  Now you're using Kessel as an example.  Take a look at Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf.  They were in the minors at the end of their first season.  Look at them now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Sure, but like Kessel, there are guys for whom development consists solely of becoming more effective. If that is the case, would you say the Spezza comp is valid or do you think the two play completely different games?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Spezza didn't play in the NHL until he was 20.
    Let me know if Seguin still reminds you of Spezza, in 2 years.
    Comparing young players to established stars, has always seemed like a waste of time to me.
    Just let Seguin develop into the one and only, Tyler Seguin.
    We as fans, have the easy job. We get to sit back and watch it happen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

There will be Hall and Seguin comparisons for years to come.
    I think many on here do not realize (or forgot) Seguin only played 2 years of Major junior compared to Hall's 3 years. That puts him a year behind (in development) at high level hockey.... Yes that is significant!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Honestly, any who is judging Seguin's long term impact based on a handful of games as a rookie 18 year old needs to get their head checked.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

could not have said it any better

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Love how almost everyone here focused entirely on the "fear" aspect rather than the Spezza comparison. When I wrote the first post I thought I'd get bashed more for saying Spezza wasn't what we wanted, but turns out, everyone apparently agrees with that.

It's not like Spezza was some bum who just showed up and turned into a number 1 center. Don't forget that, like Seguin, he was the CHL player of the year and top prospect before he was selected second overall. Don't forget that he was a very highly touted prospect (a la Tavares, Stamkos) who made the Canadian junior team at 16 (rare company: Crosby, Gretzky, Tavares, a few others). Finally, while he started his career at 20,  he was on the first line with Heatley and Alfredson.

Perhaps I just should have written, "I think Seguin could turn out like Spezza." That way people wouldn't just assume I am bashing the kid, which I am not. I am just not a fan of Spezza's game and I see some resemblances in Seguin's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Nope, you'd still get the same response from me:  It's way too early to say anything about what this kid might be capable of in the future.  You could have said that he reminds you of Pat Peake or Pat Lafontaine and I'd say the same thing:  It's too early. Get back to me in four years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camperpete. Show Camperpete's posts

Another moronic and stupid post that when placed into the proper context has absolutely no merit. Comparing Tyler Seguin to Jason Spezza is absurd. Get off the meds. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Another moronic and stupid post that when placed into the proper context has absolutely no merit. Comparing Tyler Seguin to Jason Spezza is absurd. Get off the meds. 
    Posted by Camperpete

What proper context? Both high end, highly touted centers, with a similar pedigree. They play a similar game with similar strengths. How is the comparison absurd other than the fact Seguin's a rookie?

What if you watched some tape and saw that Spezza as a rookie looked a lot like Seguin now? Still ridiculous? History is a guide to the future after all...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: My Tyler Seguin Fear : What proper context? Both high end, highly touted centers, with a similar pedigree. They play a similar game with similar strengths. How is the comparison absurd other than the fact Seguin's a rookie? What if you watched some tape and saw that Spezza as a rookie looked a lot like Seguin now? Still ridiculous? History is a guide to the future after all...
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

They are people.   All people are different.  Can you point out two players that are the same?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

My biggest tyler Seguin fear is that he'll be scratched for 2 straight games in favor of dan paille and claude makes up the flu excuse which is total BS

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FairbankAK. Show FairbankAK's posts

healthy scratch ?  who cares .  what i care about is having stone hands playing with Savard.  what the hell is he thinking ??????
    at least put Marchie up with hm .
    with paille its certain they will lose tonight and then of course julien will want to change the lines , bring back seguin and lose again tomorrow in Mtl.
    things like this is what drives me nutz with julien.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I suppose because it's inappropriate to compare any two players at any time before [insert arbitrary number] games played, I shouldn't point out that Stamkos was in a very similar spot too. But I will: Stamkos was in a similar spot, so I am not worried about Seguin sitting. Like Stamkos, oh gosh...here I go comparing two players and expecting similar results based on similar traits, Seguin is a pretty smart kid and he'll end up better for it.

I do still think he's more Spezza than Stamkos in terms of playing style though.

Sections
Shortcuts