Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty?

In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : Then last season? or then the Kings??
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Then Drew and the Kings.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : This is in regards to how the team is built, I mentioned them earlier.. Pittsburg is built around crosby, wouldnt you agree??  And while they are good on the back end, they are better up front.. Chicago was arguably better up front, but they did have the norris winner on the back end was my point.

Yes on the built around Crosby. Wasn't meant to be critical of the post immediately preceeding but only to observe that Malkin is 1A in terms of performance on that team.  They've both had two years shortened by injury, and Crosby's had one more full year to produce, but if you look at their production by year over those full years, Malkin scores at 93% of Crosby's pace.  And Malkin has the Conn Smythe.

It's really tricky to look at this from the point of view of championships, though, because kel's right, it's usually the dominant player with the best cast.  Orr didn't win 8 Cups despite being the most dominant player of the era.  Potvin stopped winning cups around about the time Bossy's back started to give out, Billy Smith started to age, and, oh yeah, Paul Coffey's supporting cast outplayed Potvin's.  You look at most of the truly remarkable teams, they had both the world class D anchor and superior talent at one or more other positions. 

But one for one, I'll take the best D over the best offensive player almost every time - the exception being guys who will get over 150 points.  All five of them in the history of the league.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Jeff Sequin played for NAIT about two decades ago....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Having seen Doughty play against the Canucks a lot over the past several years (not so much Myers), I think he's definitely an elite d-man.  I agree with several others here, in that he was the best blueliner on a stacked Team Canada 2010 defense, and that in itself should end the discussion.  The thing that bothers me, and some others have touched on it, is that the difference between $6.8/yr and $7.5 (or whatever number), is purely ego -- partly on the players' part, but probably partly on the agent, as well.  For any one of us, that $700,000 difference is a lottery win, but for someone like Doughty, what's it mean to him?  The marginal tax rate on that $700,000 is probably something like 75%, so what's he gonna do with the extra $175,000 in his pocket?  How many Porsches does a guy need?  IMO, holding out over something which will, in the end, have such a minor impact upon your lifestyle is bordering on asinine.  Sign for $6.8, share the "highest paid player on the team" title with AK, and get to work! 
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

The difference is almost 10%.  That's a lot of money.  Add it up over nine years.  That's a lot, lot, lot of money.  Let's not pretend like it's a buck fifty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? :  Johnson if he ever pans out..Webber needs to continue to improve his offensive game in my opinion, his 48 points last year was a career high, can he build on that? Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Kinda tough on Weber a bit he really doesn't really have that 35-40 goal scorer, he has Erat, Kotstisyn and Hornqvist hovering around 20 goals and 50 points. Can't get that 2nd assist.

Go to allot of Kings games out here, Has Johnson plateaued a bit  ? One thing that is not a good stat for him is he is on the ice for allot of goals...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : The difference is almost 10%.  That's a lot of money.  Add it up over nine years.  That's a lot, lot, lot of money.  Let's not pretend like it's a buck fifty.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

And don't forget the trickle down.  The agents cut comes out of that and it is significant to him (or her). 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]I will end my debate with this.  Another thing we can debate as the season goes.  I predict Myers has a better year and his team goes farther in the playoffs. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

You're on !  The Kings are a better team than Buffalo right now.  Doughty wll get signed. 
    What I never liked was agents comparing salaries of others . If a GM was stupid on overpaying (hello Sabres) why does the next RFA/UFA set that as a standard ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : The difference is almost 10%.  That's a lot of money.  Add it up over nine years.  That's a lot, lot, lot of money.  Let's not pretend like it's a buck fifty.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

My point is that, after (say) $6 million in salary, the marginal value of that extra 10% declines significantly.  If you're making $60,000, then an extra $6,000 means a lot.  I somehow doubt that Doughty will be treasuring his extra 10% the same way that a guy with a wife and two kids, a big mortgage and some big orthodontic bills on the way would. If you're signing a 6-year contract for $6mil per, you've got more money than you, your kids or your grandkids would ever need.  In that situation, what's the value of the extra 10%, except for bragging rights or simple greed?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Myers and Erhoff arent bad players by any means, and I understand the owner wants to show his commitment, especially when you have a fan base upset that Briere, Drury (he was good there)and others leave because the small market cant match, but sooner or later these contracts will catch up to them. You can have all the money in the world, and these billionare owners sometimes think they can win with their wallets in the off season but when you have a cap, spending it wisely is the only way to go.Never heard of the guy til he bought the Sabres but I can't help but think he's of the same mold as Peter Angelos, Dan Snyder etc..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : You're on !  The Kings are a better team than Buffalo right now.  Doughty wll get signed.  What I never liked was agents comparing salaries of others . If a GM was stupid on overpaying (hello Sabres) why does the next RFA/UFA set that as a standard ?
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I think the Kings have a great shot at the cup this year.  But what fun would that be.  I always like the underdog role.  Myers will finally have a good backend to play with.  He has Regehr...and he and I have been dating since I broke up with Raffi.  Regehr is a perfect fit for the East.  He will be fantastic this year.  Erhoff I am not a fan of.  But he is very mobile and is a top 4 dman for sure and will help get the PP going.  Myers is a year older and has supporting cast.  I think Buffalo is gonna do damage this year.  Whenever you can add (2) top 4 dmen to your club w/o losing anything you are immediately better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : I think the Kings have a great shot at the cup this year.  But what fun would that be.  I always like the underdog role.  Myers will finally have a good backend to play with.  He has Regehr...and he and I have been dating since I broke up with Raffi.  Regehr is a perfect fit for the East.  He will be fantastic this year.  Erhoff I am not a fan of.  But he is very mobile and is a top 4 dman for sure and will help get the PP going.  Myers is a year older and has supporting cast.  I think Buffalo is gonna do damage this year.  Whenever you can add (2) top 4 dmen to your club w/o losing anything you are immediately better.

This is funny cause even though they got Erhoff, re signed Myers it's Regehr who I'm interested to see how he does as well. i like him. When they aquirred those two, I think theyre trying to take advantage of the fact that they have Miller and are aiming to be a defensive team, hope Vanek, Ennis ad crew provide tilely scoring and win games 3-2 etc...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : My point is that, after (say) $6 million in salary, the marginal value of that extra 10% declines significantly.  If you're making $60,000, then an extra $6,000 means a lot.  I somehow doubt that Doughty will be treasuring his extra 10% the same way that a guy with a wife and two kids, a big mortgage and some big orthodontic bills on the way would. If you're signing a 6-year contract for $6mil per, you've got more money than you, your kids or your grandkids would ever need.  In that situation, what's the value of the extra 10%, except for bragging rights or simple greed?

He may have a big family that he wants to support.  He may have a lot of friends that he wants to support.  He may have his eye on some private company that will cost $X to purchase.  Maybe he wants ownership in an NHL team someday.  Maybe this, maybe that. 

10% of anyone paycheck is a lot of money. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Lombardi is saying now that their offers are gonna decrease by about $25,000 for each day he misses training camp. This could get ugly...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : This is funny cause even though they got Erhoff, re signed Myers it's Regehr who I'm interested to see how he does as well. i like him. When they aquirred those two, I think theyre trying to take advantage of the fact that they have Miller and are aiming to be a defensive team, hope Vanek, Ennis ad crew provide tilely scoring and win games 3-2 etc...
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Isnt that what the Bruins do?  I think our teams are very similar.  They had 10+ guys get 10+ goals.  Had 2 30 goal guys, had 2 20 goal guys and Roy is healthy and they add Lieno to the top 6.  Bruins scored one more goal last year for the record.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : Isnt that what the Bruins do?  I think our teams are very similar.  They had 10+ guys get 10+ goals.  Had 2 30 goal guys, had 2 20 goal guys and Roy is healthy and they add Lieno to the top 6.  Bruins scored one more goal last year for the record.

I think thats what Julien tries to do. Possibly a bunch of other coaches.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : I think thats what Julien tries to do. Possibly a bunch of other coaches.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Well when yo look at teams like Van and Wash that are 1st line top heavy its nice to count on depth.  Sure its nice to have a Stamkos or a Ovie.  But those players are targeted and shut down to some extent.  Then what?
    Boston, Chicago, Pitt and Detroit had balanced attacks and often got huge from guys that were on the 3rd and 4th line. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from katodog. Show katodog's posts

[QUOTE]personally, i find it nausiating to discuss how much money pro athletes/ actors-actresses/ ceo's get paid. it's utterly disgusting, considering over half of the people on this planet go to bed hungry each and every night. sorry for the downer, but hey, had to be said.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

People produce hockey games and others like to watch that production.
    They agree to a voluntary exchange and that is how they earn money.

You could go and watch the people you referred to produce their own hunger.
    I am sure they would sell you a ticket for $85.
    You could start a channel like ESPN and broadcast 24/7/365 people being hungry.
    Call Oprah, I hear here OWN channel is tanking, maybe she needs new content?

When one dictates what another does with their production that is called slavery.
    In the future, please refrain from telling others what to do with their earnings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : People produce hockey games and others like to watch that production. They agree to a voluntary exchange and that is how they earn money. You could go and watch the people you referred to produce their own hunger. I am sure they would sell you a ticket for $85. You could start a channel like ESPN and broadcast 24/7/365 people being hungry. Call Oprah, I hear here OWN channel is tanking, maybe she needs new content? When one dictates what another does with their production that is called slavery. In the future, please refrain from telling others what to do with their earnings.
    Posted by katodog[/QUOTE]
    I truly hope you can see the irony in telling someone not to tell people what to do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : Well when yo look at teams like Van and Wash that are 1st line top heavy its nice to count on depth.  Sure its nice to have a Stamkos or a Ovie.  But those players are targeted and shut down to some extent.  Then what? Boston, Chicago, Pitt and Detroit had balanced attacks and often got huge from guys that were on the 3rd and 4th line. 

Canucks are 1st line top heavy?  I'd like to introduce you to the Canuck's second line centre, Ryan Kesler.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : Canucks are 1st line top heavy?  I'd like to introduce you to the Canuck's second line centre, Ryan Kesler.

49 im not an expert on Vancouver but i have like this tell me if im wrong.

d.sedin  h.sedin  burrows
    raymond  kesler  samuelson
    strum  lapierre  hansen
    higgins malhotra oreskovich

does that jive? if so u have to admit its alittle more top heavy then u let on or maybe im not the biggest raymond fan. i just think after kesler the lineup is alittle thin.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : Canucks are 1st line top heavy?  I'd like to introduce you to the Canuck's second line centre, Ryan Kesler.

Yup, Top heavy and Kesler is a great 2nd line center but who were his wingers.  Yes they had a few injuries but again, once teams figure out the Canuck Blueprint that Chicago mastered they are really a one line team.  It wasnt a slight at your team.  Its stating a very obvious fact.  The problem with the Canucks is that they dont have a true gamer on the roster outside Kesler.  The Gazoo Twins were invisible in the Nashville series as well when they were playing against Weber/Suter.  They were totally thrown off against Chicago for yrs and most recently the Bruins.  They didnt have one player step in and that still shocks me.  Nice team.  Your captain is getting punched in the face by a pest and no one does a thing.  Heart of a loser.  And the rest of the team follows.  
    My example of the Caps is also with realization that Semin bounces around.  Truth be told they have a mini-kelser in Brooks Laich.  I feel sorry for those two b/c they would chop their leg off to win. 

Don't be so sensitive about your team.  I said it to you before.  I tend to go against the flow on here at times and speak what I believe.  Van sure looks nice in the regular season.  They did absolutely nothing to get some grit, and I'm sorry but hockey gods don't like Lapierre.  The Canucks should have begged Philly to get a guy like Richards.  Van had its opportunity and now the league knows how to play against them.  Reg Season is fine, more penalties and such.  But come war time the 1st line is a target.  Kelser and then who?  Higgins?  Raymond? Lapierre?
    If you don't see that you are blind.  How many yrs does it take for the Van front office to go grab some of the same type players that beat them every year.  Sturm is now on your 2nd line.  Manny is a nice faceoff guy, leader and PK guy but isnt a big pt producer. 
    Anyway, I am sure its been a long painful summer in Van land.  I really thought last year was their best chance.  Not now.  They have a goalie the city hates and fails everytime in the clutch.  They have a backup that should likely be the starter.  They have a backend that is soft.  Deep yes, but blueprint also has run Bieksa and Co and they will fold.  And they did.  Up front extremely soft for a team that lead the league in hits.  You would think a team that hits that much should be a gritty hard nosed bunch.  I beg to differ.  Kelser deserves better.  But even he was invisible in the finals. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : Kinda tough on Weber a bit he really doesn't really have that 35-40 goal scorer, he has Erat, Kotstisyn and Hornqvist hovering around 20 goals and 50 points. Can't get that 2nd assist. Go to allot of Kings games out here, Has Johnson plateaued a bit  ? One thing that is not a good stat for him is he is on the ice for allot of goals...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Not at all, people are way over hyped on weber, good defensive dman with a 48 point season.. But my post was "potential H.O.F. d men"  I was saying there is a lag of those guys, I put weber in the conversation, but he has to improve, you really think he is a front runner after 1 norris and 140 points come on...

And I was talking about Eric Johnson, not Jack sorry.. Eric looked much more promising before the injury.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : Not at all, people are way over hyped on weber, good defensive dman with a 48 point season.. But my post was "potential H.O.F. d men"  I was saying there is a lag of those guys, I put weber in the conversation, but he has to improve, you really think he is a front runner after 1 norris and 140 points come on... And I was talking about Eric Johnson, not Jack sorry.. Eric looked much more promising before the injury.

Roler, I like your posts but you are off base with Weber and its likely due to that fact that Nashville is never on TV.  Weber in my eyes is the leagues best dman.  Getting pts is a bonus and his shot on the PP is second to no one.  Chara has a harder shot by a little but Weber hits the net with his.  Weber is a outstanding shut down dman and plays all areas of the ice extremely well.  HOF is a bit premature b/c he likely needs to get outta Nashville and into a real hockey market.  But he is easily on his way.  Eric Johnson hasnt been as good as Jack Johnson.  If anything Eric Johnson is a bit of a bust and has already been traded.  If I had to start a team from scratch Weber would be my 1st dman.  He has everything heavy stacked in his favor.  The fact he can get 40+ pts with the lack of talent he has up front even stregthens that argument.  Put him on a team where they have some talent up front and he is getting a Norris every year.  Imagine he had the same players to work with as Keith, Lidstrom and Chara.  Can you name the top 3 scorers on Nashville.  I can't and I eat, breath and sleep hockey all yr round.  Weber showed his abaility at the 2010's where he and Drew were Canadas best dmen. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myers At 5.5m-How Much For Doughty? : Roler, I like your posts but you are off base with Weber and its likely due to that fact that Nashville is never on TV.  Weber in my eyes is the leagues best dman.  Getting pts is a bonus and his shot on the PP is second to no one.  Chara has a harder shot by a little but Weber hits the net with his.  Weber is a outstanding shut down dman and plays all areas of the ice extremely well.  HOF is a bit premature b/c he likely needs to get outta Nashville and into a real hockey market.  But he is easily on his way.  Eric Johnson hasnt been as good as Jack Johnson.  If anything Eric Johnson is a bit of a bust and has already been traded.  If I had to start a team from scratch Weber would be my 1st dman.  He has everything heavy stacked in his favor.  The fact he can get 40+ pts with the lack of talent he has up front even stregthens that argument.  Put him on a team where they have some talent up front and he is getting a Norris every year.  Imagine he had the same players to work with as Keith, Lidstrom and Chara.  Can you name the top 3 scorers on Nashville.  I can't and I eat, breath and sleep hockey all yr round.  Weber showed his abaility at the 2010's where he and Drew were Canadas best dmen. 

How am I off base, I was talking about the Lull in HOF d men, and said after lidstrom and pronger retire, the next class of guys i see having a shot is doughty, maybe weber, maybe johnson if he can recover (he had a great rookie year as an 18 year old)..  All of them were maybes, but doughty is 21 and is already one of the NHL's elite, and has a better offensive game..  Doughtys 4 years younger, think of where he will be at by 25/26.. or more importantly 27-29 when he is actually hitting his prime..

But this was going from the idea that there are no guys in that 28-34 (prime of their careers) that I think have a chance.. Weber is very good, but if he puts up 40 points a year for his career, plays about 15 years, does 600 points get you in??  Cause this was his best season, he is a defensive defensemen with a hard shot, I don't think Chara has any shot at the hall right now either..

I mean I am being hard on him, cause I don't put him in the hall of fame?? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

The Kings have 17mil tied up long term in Kopitar, Richards, and Johnson alone.
    The fact is, they need Doughty to contend, so even though he is only an RFA they need to pay him, regardless. As of right now, without Doughty, they have approximately 9mil to play with.

Ultimately, the question is, does Doughty care more about getting whats his or does he see himself as a long term King and leave the team some wiggle room to add the pieces they need to challenge? They look pretty thin on lines 3 and 4 and 3rd pair D. Lombardi is walking a tightrope in a high wind here.

BTW, If I was a GM, I'd try to build from the back end out always. I think the drive for show putt for dough(ty) analogy is a good one.

Sections
Shortcuts