"Naive" To Think No NHLers Juice: Jonathan Toews

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

"Naive" To Think No NHLers Juice: Jonathan Toews

Toews doesn't come right out and say it but his inference seems to be in all likelihood some NHLers are using PEDs.  The article says the league's drug rules has guys do a team test and a random one with no advanced warning. 

If the probability is as Toews suggests, those so inclined among the 700 or so players have managed to dodge detection under the present testing arrangement.  Does it then become only a matter of undertermined time before someone out of all those NHLers gets caught or if the league's drug-testing status quo is maintained, those using can continue indefinitely?  

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/14/toews-naive-to-think-no-nhlers-are-juicing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re:

He shouldn't make assertions that are purely speculative at best.  Bad PR move imo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re:

Sooner or later the league is going to have to take a hard look at the use of PED's.  Some say they are just dancing around the issue at the present time, looking the other way.  Not sure what it will be that will force their hand, but the day will come when something will.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re:

"The article says the league's drug rules has guys do a team test and a random one with no advanced warning."

That's the way they did it in the Navy at Miramar while I was enlisted. Swabbies got nailed left and right becuase no one knew it was coming, they would pull you right off the flight line or off the Carrier Flight Deck. Squids were also caught trying to cheat the test.

The drug testing in the late 80s and early 90s was terrible compared to today. The repercussions if the league were hiding would be finacially detrimental especially with what is happening in Baseball and Football. I don't see the benefit of the NHL or the NHLPA hiding results or not testing properly with the way the NHL is raking in money now on TV.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re:

I don't understand how people say the NHL doesn't conduct the same thorough type of test that MLB does. Isn't there only 2 ways to conduct these test? Blood & urine. Or is it the fact that the NHL allows certain substances that MLB does not?

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I don't understand how people say the NHL doesn't conduct the same thorough type of test that MLB does. Isn't there only 2 ways to conduct these test? Blood & urine. Or is it the fact that the NHL allows certain substances that MLB does not?

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

It's not the test process, nite, but what they are testing for.  The NHL doesn't test for HGH.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re:

In response to bim09's comment:

He shouldn't make assertions that are purely speculative at best.  Bad PR move imo.

Why do you think it is purely speculative?  I mean he isn't gonna name people, but maybe he's witnessed it, or knows teammates who do it, or done it himself.  I see no reason to conclude that he's speculating just because he's being vague about it.  I bet he knows, or he wouldn't say a thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

It's not the test process, nite, but what they are testing for.  The NHL doesn't test for HGH.

[/QUOTE]

Oic. And that's probably one of worse one's isn't it?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Or EPO, which I think is a possibility too.  

Testing just for traditional steroids is like pulling someone over for a possible DUI and then just testing them for vodka.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re:

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Why do you think it is purely speculative?  I mean he isn't gonna name people, but maybe he's witnessed it, or knows teammates who do it, or done it himself.  I see no reason to conclude that he's speculating just because he's being vague about it.  I bet he knows, or he wouldn't say a thing.

Mike Cammalleri was on Rogers THE FAN 590 this morning and said he wouldn't doubt some players are using steroids but he hasn't seen it personally. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re:

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"The article says the league's drug rules has guys do a team test and a random one with no advanced warning."

That's the way they did it in the Navy at Miramar while I was enlisted. Swabbies got nailed left and right becuase no one knew it was coming, they would pull you right off the flight line or off the Carrier Flight Deck. Squids were also caught trying to cheat the test.

The drug testing in the late 80s and early 90s was terrible compared to today. The repercussions if the league were hiding would be finacially detrimental especially with what is happening in Baseball and Football. I don't see the benefit of the NHL or the NHLPA hiding results or not testing properly with the way the NHL is raking in money now on TV.

Talk about a kick to the cods for a league still trying to make inroads in some areas on the North American sports landscape if this were to happen, San.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, considering he's someone who's been very successful because of the NHL, I just think it's in poor taste to make comments that desparage a league that has been so good to him.  Like I said, it's a bad PR move.

What he should have said was I've never seen it .  Next question.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re:

Well, considering he's someone who's been very successful because of the NHL, I just think it's in poor taste to make comments that desparage a league that has been so good to him.  Like I said, it's a bad PR move.

No, covering up for each other and denial is what is so distasteful about other sports.  

Screw PR -- I like honesty.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re:

Maybe Toews is an honest player and an honest man and he doesn't like people cheating to win.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Re:

Purely speculative? More than likely purely the truth. Anybody who thinks the NHL, or any other pro league, is 100% clean, is not thinking clearly.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re:

I disagree completely - when you see an injustice or something that's inherently wrong or corrupt, the decent and courageous thing to do is to to stand up and speak out. I don't care what profession you're in or how good it has been to you. I think you';re being more respectful to your profession when you DO speak out - you're standing up for the ideals or the ethics of your industry. Doesn't matter what job you're in - could be one of the doctors that blew the whistle on insurance company tactics, or one of the News of the World reporters who worked with police to expose their illegal wiretapping, or someone like Pee Wee Reese publicly making a stand of support for Jackie Robinson. If you love your industry, if you believe in its ethical code, I think you have the moral obligation to do or say something about it.

Sections
Shortcuts